PDA

View Full Version : Thread starting

JRWIZ
02-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Call me a purist but allowing anyone to start a thread is driving me and I'm sure alot of other folks nuts.

We have to limit, IMO the ability to start threads and polls. I'm not advocating inhibiting someones ability to commnet on a thread. But since its inception as far as I can see there have been 13,504 threads in the general topics area started. With a 1052 currently active been in the same area, Since inception or recreation about 500 days or so ago, that is 27 per day. Is suspect that they were not all different subjects.

While I have not counted for sure I'd guess there are 25 each of the aforementioned about Jake and Mike and Champ and Al and God only know who else. If someone wants to post in a Jake thread keep it in the thread and every so often move it to archives and start another offical Jake thread.

Is there something that can be done in this area? I know it has been talked about, it would ease the neccesity of repeating oneself in 4 different threads about almost the same topic.

For example all of these related threads since the 23 of Jan

broncos droughns wants to be traded
Fullback ( 1 2 )
Santonio Beard Factor
Keep Droughns Send Quentin Away ( 1 2 )
Dont Forget about A possible Trade with Philly for Droughns
Reuben Droughns for David Boston Trade ( 1 2 3 4 )
Poll: Next HB started poll ( 1 2 3 4 )
Dont think miamis interested.... ( 1 2 )
Poll: Reuben's trade ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page
Moved: quentin griffin did something good.......
Kyle Johnson

I counted about 8 threads on Mike a simular number on Jake and 4-5 on whats wrong with the team and a like number about Champ.

Sometimes I feel like a circus performer trying to balance 5 plates on poles, while trying to juggle 5 beach balls.

BTW the one in RED above, I just went into to look at it, and if this particular thread does not prove my point I don't know what will!

http://www.denverbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27002

Can we look at doing something here?

The Dark Knight
02-04-2005, 12:45 AM
I think that limiting users to one new thread per forum every 24houres should help minimize the really stupid ones.
There is always a thin line that you might cross when you try to control “the freedom of speech” and what is acceptable by you may not be acceptable by another.
I think that the last forums change were one step in the right direction and like you I sometimes get frustrated with how easily so many stupid (IMO!!!) threads are being created every hour.
But than again to my surprise some of them (the IMO stupid threads) getting great responses.
I wish users will use the “rate thread” option and I think that mods should have the power to disable certain users (when needed) from starting new threads (so they will only be able to reply)

And that is my 7 cents, good night,
Deuce

I hear ya but I don't like the one thread every 24 hour thing. I make an effort to post threads that are not redundant. I too wish people would use the "rate thread". You can sort out the rated threads by clicking it at the top of the forum. This would make it easy to know which threads are good and ones that aint worth your time. The problem is that some people wouldn't use it honestly. They'd voted 5 on theirs while voting 1's on everyone else's. Maybe if the mod's were only allowed to rate threads? They would see alot of them and might be more objective then others.

The Dark Knight
02-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Call me a purist but allowing anyone to start a thread is driving me and I'm sure alot of other folks nuts.

We have to limit, IMO the ability to start threads and polls. I'm not advocating inhibiting someones ability to commnet on a thread. But since its inception as far as I can see there have been 13,504 threads in the general topics area started. With a 1052 currently active been in the same area, Since inception or recreation about 500 days or so ago, that is 27 per day. Is suspect that they were not all different subjects.

While I have not counted for sure I'd guess there are 25 each of the aforementioned about Jake and Mike and Champ and Al and God only know who else. If someone wants to post in a Jake thread keep it in the thread and every so often move it to archives and start another offical Jake thread.

Is there something that can be done in this area? I know it has been talked about, it would ease the neccesity of repeating oneself in 4 different threads about almost the same topic.

For example all of these related threads since the 23 of Jan

broncos droughns wants to be traded
Fullback ( 1 2 )
Santonio Beard Factor
Keep Droughns Send Quentin Away ( 1 2 )
Dont Forget about A possible Trade with Philly for Droughns
Reuben Droughns for David Boston Trade ( 1 2 3 4 )
Poll: Next HB started poll ( 1 2 3 4 )
Dont think miamis interested.... ( 1 2 )
Poll: Reuben's trade ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page
Moved: quentin griffin did something good.......
Kyle Johnson

I counted about 8 threads on Mike a simular number on Jake and 4-5 on whats wrong with the team and a like number about Champ.

Sometimes I feel like a circus performer trying to balance 5 plates on poles, while trying to juggle 5 beach balls.

BTW the one in RED above, I just went into to look at it, and if this particular thread does not prove my point I don't know what will!

http://www.denverbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27002

Can we look at doing something here?

The redundant threads piss me off too but not as much as the nimrods that post the thread in the wrong forum. Some say "Ohh I didn't know there was another forum" while others say "Yeah, but no one goes to those forums and I want mine to be seen". :rolleyes: To me that is worse then starting similar topics. Some people need to learn how to use a search button. It is very handy and works great if you know how to use it. It even highlights the word your looking for in the posts. This could alieviate alot of congestion in the forum.
However, you do also have to consider that the NFL is an ever changing week to week sport. What was relevant and important in week one may be completely useless in week four. So when someone starts a thread on "runningbacks" or whatever, it might not be appropriate to add on to an exsisting thread because the post would be out of context with obsolete information.

Another thing that REALLY pisses me off is thread titles. My favorite one is "A question..." Whenever I see that I swear to god I get instant hemorrhoids. Instead of making that their thread title, Why didn't they just ASK THE DAMN QUESTION IN THE THREAD TITLE? :duh: There usually is more than enough space to ask most questions. I also had subjects that are way too broad like "The Broncos , Defense , Lelie ect ect" Please for the love of Christ people be just a little more specific on what you want to say so that way I know if I want to click on your damn thread or not.

OK, I'm done for now.

JWinn
02-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I'd like to jump in and say that we need to find a way to get posters to read the "rules of the road" in here somehow.

It's not just about starting multiple threads. I see posters who clearly have never read anything about how to post or how to use this board. All the time!

Just now, there is a poster asking (in gen. disc), about the thread rating system. Not to knock this person, but if youve posted almost 5000 times, I would think you would know what everything is already. It's not like there hasnt been opportunity!

We need to find a way to get people to read The COC, The CS point system info, The user control panel, etc.

The problem is everyone just wants to chat, & it's easy to just start another thread. People post on emotion and dont always feel like doing a search before spitting out their feelings. Or asking questions.

TDK, this is what I was referrring to in the Gen disc. thread about posting in there. We need a way to educate people before they post somehow.

I know you start a lot of threads, most good in my opinion, but maybe a thread limit would be a good idea. You are well versed in Message Board usage, many people are not, clearly. Maybe a trial period somehow.

I think the admin should have a sticky in ALL forums explaining how things work around here. You know, the things I mentioned above, plus a paragraph or two talking about searching, starting new threads, etc.... A paragraph dealing with where to ask what type of question. A user should have to click on this sticky every so often, if for nothing else, then as a reminder. I dont think most regulars would have a problem with this, it wouldnt take too long.

Just an idea.......... :beer:

JWinn
02-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I do to. But you should read at least most of them once. It does'nt take THAT long. :eek:

broncos_mgr
02-10-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't think we'll ever be able to completely legislate good board etiquette. We've put systems in place to encourage people to be "good posters," but the more we mandate things the less "fun" the Boards risk becoming. For things like this, members are a more powerful force in influencing how the community behaves than moderators can ever hope to be. Keep helping to educate people. Give contribution points to "good" posts. Give high ratings to "good" threads. It will take time, but you'll see an effect. In the meantime, we'll try to do a better job merging redundant threads. :)