PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Surtain

Astros05
02-01-2005, 05:48 PM
:beer: Patrick Surtain has been given permission to seek a trade? Do yall think we have a chance for the great Cornerback?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1981681&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Bah, I put my thread in general, it gets more traffic =p

But no, absolutely not, impossible to afford his salary.

Astros05
02-01-2005, 05:51 PM
He would be a great addition if we could get him though!!

PRBronco
02-01-2005, 06:18 PM
He'd be a waste of frikkin money man! Why can't everybody see that corners arent' worth jack right now? It's all about the pass rush. Look at the jets, steelers and patriots, their corners suck! But they all had playoff success this year, cuz of devastating pass rushes. That's what we should be thinking about. If we had a line like the jets we could start roc alexander and i'd be comfortable.

atruebroncosfan
02-01-2005, 06:34 PM
:beer: Patrick Surtain has been given permission to seek a trade? Do yall think we have a chance for the great Cornerback?

That would be fricken sweet but i dont think it will happen, denver isn't exactly the yankees. Plus that one guy was right, what we really need is d line guys. Who would we trade for him reubon? And guys is that reubon for david boston thing actually a possibililty or is it just another what if thing?

Sam_Z
02-01-2005, 07:05 PM
I like the idea but like someone up top said hes to exspensive, I wouldnt mind the broncos trading RD a 2 rounder or a combined 3rd and 4th rounder.

TXBRONC
02-02-2005, 10:52 AM

Honestly no.

Gbt31
02-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Honestly I would love it. First off we would have the best cornerback tandum in football, plus if we brought him in there, Champ would feel very intimidated because he will actually be playing alongside another great corner and they would compete on who can actually guard their guys the best and not fall down and look like the laughing stock of sportscenter. Plus once we get pryce back and pick up DT in Free Agency, and not draft a DT that will sit the bench, I think our team would be set, plus we could switch to a cover 1 and run man ALOT more, and have Lynch or kenoy speed rushing, and we could get alot more pressure there.

OrangeShadow
02-03-2005, 04:48 AM
no get andre dyson in free agency,cheaper and younger

Dub-DeuceKnight
02-03-2005, 06:39 PM
someone else has already said it but and Bill Parcells did too I think but with the new contact rule CB's are pointless you need pass rush to have a good D look at the pats.

dbdom
02-04-2005, 04:44 AM
someone else has already said it but and Bill Parcells did too I think but with the new contact rule CB's are pointless you need pass rush to have a good D look at the pats.

parcells may go for someone like andre dyson in FA though because they've got awful corners apart from terence newman, who had a bad year

but i also heard the cowboys are changing to 3-4, in which case they need some linemen as well but they do have 2 1st rounders, probably 1 lineman, 1 WR

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-04-2005, 06:32 AM
parcells may go for someone like andre dyson in FA though because they've got awful corners apart from terence newman, who had a bad year

but i also heard the cowboys are changing to 3-4, in which case they need some linemen as well but they do have 2 1st rounders, probably 1 lineman, 1 WR

This is correct, I've been spending some time on Dallas lately, and man, do they need CB help. Pete Hunter was injured the entire year and they have absolutely nobody for depth. Plus, now Darren Woodson is retiring so they are screwed at safety. Then, besides nguyen and Bradie James, they need a boatload of LBs. THEN...they need a DE opposite Ellis. They are in baddd shape.

But a CB is the first need, they have nobody behind Hunter for depth. If they don't sign one in FA, and they have LOTS of money to spend, they almost have to draft Rolle at 11, if he's still there. Jones will be long gone.

The 2nd pick in the first round will probably be a DE or ILB.

WR isnt so much a need if Glenn steps it back up.

JoRo
02-04-2005, 08:01 AM

Wow i wish i could get an auto reply that said this:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

MONEYYYYY

TOOOOOOO

SIGNN

YOU

Madden

PLAYIN

NAIVE

LIL

NO CAP

EXISTIN

FELLA

WE
ARE
POOR

NO
MONEY
FOR BIG FA SIGNING

GET THIS
IN UR THICK
SKULLLLS!!!

dman444
02-04-2005, 11:40 AM
No need to diss madden gah!

urinal_cake
02-04-2005, 12:14 PM
no get andre dyson in free agency,cheaper and younger

Or Samari Rolle. The Titans are going to have a big purge of players to get under the cap.

TXBRONC
02-04-2005, 12:22 PM

It's already been noted in all kinds of publications that Denver isn't going to seek a big name player via trade or free agency. It's common sense guy, Denver just doesn't have that kind of cap space.

JoRo
02-04-2005, 12:49 PM
No need to diss madden gah!

Not dissin, it jus seems to me that unless u have about a billion dollars in cap penaltys in madden ur gonna have cap room

bleedbluorange
02-04-2005, 01:24 PM
He'd be a waste of frikkin money man! Why can't everybody see that corners arent' worth jack right now? It's all about the pass rush. Look at the jets, steelers and patriots, their corners suck! But they all had playoff success this year, cuz of devastating pass rushes. That's what we should be thinking about. If we had a line like the jets we could start roc alexander and i'd be comfortable.
I guess no one ever put it that way. You are absolutely right. It's all about the rush and we dont have one. So lets trade Champ for a couple of pass rushers.

TXBRONC
02-04-2005, 02:06 PM

IMO pass rush and coverage go hand in hand. If you're significantly weaker in one over the other some o-coordinator is going to pick you apart. As much as anything else our defense has to do a better job of getting turnovers.

ChiefSurgeon
02-04-2005, 02:35 PM
It's already been noted in all kinds of publications that Denver isn't going to seek a big name player via trade or free agency. It's common sense guy, Denver just doesn't have that kind of cap space.

Well Pat needs to make some serious changes in football operations. because when you look at our roster there's no way we should have cap problems. But hey, that's the genius of shanny and all his great personnel decisions.

dman444
02-04-2005, 03:34 PM
If you play the game without fantasy on there is not alot of cap room.
I dont think it would bea great idea to trade champ, I think if we get pass rushers his stats will explode next year. The best corner back ever cant hold off a reciever for that long, and we cant rely on Hayward to get all of our sacks.

Dub-DeuceKnight
02-04-2005, 08:14 PM
We might not being relying on Hayward for any of our sacks the way the money Sitch is playing out.

NeedDLinemen
02-04-2005, 09:33 PM

You may be right in saying that corners arent worth that kind of money but according to the NFL they are. The market for the position determines the $$ they get and the top corners are now officially the best paid players on the football field. The franchise tag for 2005 will cost more for a corner than any other position at a cool $8,816,000 and the transition tag $6,938,000. So Surtain is out of Denver's reach. Rumours are linking him in a possible trade with the Colts and Mr James moving in the other direction.

fozz02
02-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I know everyone is always sayin that we need D-lineman and its not our corners and i agree. But does anyone think we could get Surtain in a trade(as the dolphins gave him permission to seek). Could u imagine if we got a better pass rush along with bailey and surtain. WOW. Let me know if u think this is a possibility.

bleedbluorange
02-05-2005, 12:37 PM
I know everyone is always sayin that we need D-lineman and its not our corners and i agree. But does anyone think we could get Surtain in a trade(as the dolphins gave him permission to seek). Could u imagine if we got a better pass rush along with bailey and surtain. WOW. Let me know if u think this is a possibility.
If we got surtain then our pass rush would suffer even more. With the rules change a shut down corner is far less effective. We should concentrate our efforts on getting a pass rush.

Snk16
02-05-2005, 12:42 PM
We don't have the cap space to spend on surtain. We should focus on signing our rookies and some decent free agent pickups. If we're going to make any attempt at Surtain we'll have to cut some guys.

GIVEME6
02-05-2005, 12:47 PM
If we got surtain then our pass rush would suffer even more. With the rules change a shut down corner is far less effective. We should concentrate our efforts on getting a pass rush.

BINGO! I think teams will still look for talent at the CB position, but I also think that a dominant pass rusher is even more valuable now that the ROE is in effect. I'd rather address our need at D-line, as I think our team will be complete.

TXBRONC
02-05-2005, 02:07 PM
BINGO! I think teams will still look for talent at the CB position, but I also think that a dominant pass rusher is even more valuable now that the ROE is in effect. I'd rather address our need at D-line, as I think our team will be complete.

Exactly, if can get Walls and Middlebrooks resigned I think will be fine at corner.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-05-2005, 02:34 PM
The Colts/Dolphins trade makes sense personnel wise, but not when you consider the Dolphins' salary cap woes. They can't afford Edgerrin.

The trade that would make the most sense in my opinion, and one that I think I would do if I was running either team, is trade Surtain to Minnesota (30mil under the cap, horrific secondary) for one of their cheap and talented RBs (Onterrio Smith, Mewelde Moore).

That would immediately help both teams.

The Dolphins could afford the contracts of Smith or Moore while the Vikings can afford Surtain. There is not one reason on this planet this deal doesn't happen, unless nobody besides me, thinks of it.

NeedDLinemen
02-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Exactly, if can get Walls and Middlebrooks resigned I think will be fine at corner.

Willie has another 2 years before he's a FA and Walls/Herndon who are both RFA's will be back unless Denver dont want them to be!!

TXBRONC
02-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Willie has another 2 years before he's a FA and Walls/Herndon who are both RFA's will be back unless Denver dont want them to be!!

I'm fairly sure that Middlebrooks is also a FA.