PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News' Warroom draft

OhNoKoolAid
02-08-2005, 05:23 PM
has Denver taking Cadillac Williams. While he is a nice player, I think this is a position of strength of the Broncos. Looking at the other picks, they could spend a little more time on this draft, but they have been updating the player profiles. I sure would love the player they have going one pick before Denver, Shawne Merriman of Maryland.

EddyMac87
02-08-2005, 06:26 PM
No way we take a RB in the first round, plus its highly unlikely that williams makes it past the top 10...

u gotta link?

OhNoKoolAid
02-08-2005, 06:59 PM
No way we take a RB in the first round, plus its highly unlikely that williams makes it past the top 10...

u gotta link?

Can't because it is a fee based service, but I will answer any questions you have regarding their draft info, including projections, profiles, etc.

Comrade
02-08-2005, 07:09 PM
How can they not have us taking anything except a DT?...I think thats our most likely pick, even with some people suggesting TE...unless we move Pryce back to DT, resign Hayward and then draft a DE to replace Pryce...but either way I think D-Lineman is most likely.

HB Seems a waste of a perfectly good first round pick, there is no doubt in my mind that Tatum can step it up and be our back next year..and if Droughns doesnt get the trade hes wanting he will be back (at FB but regardless)...and Mike Anderson will be back, healthy as a horse (or Bronco... :D) So, a RB of any type seems like a complete waste.

OhNoKoolAid
02-08-2005, 07:23 PM
How can they not have us taking anything except a DT?...I think thats our most likely pick, even with some people suggesting TE...unless we move Pryce back to DT, resign Hayward and then draft a DE to replace Pryce...but either way I think D-Lineman is most likely.

HB Seems a waste of a perfectly good first round pick, there is no doubt in my mind that Tatum can step it up and be our back next year..and if Droughns doesnt get the trade hes wanting he will be back (at FB but regardless)...and Mike Anderson will be back, healthy as a horse (or Bronco... :D) So, a RB of any type seems like a complete waste.

If Denver does in fact move to the 3-4, DT will not be the primary position because the focus would shift to big ends and pass rushing outside linebackers. Personally, I think only Shaun Cody could provide the interior pass rush needed if the Broncos stay in the 4-3, him or his teammate Patterson. This draft has a surplus of end/backer tweeners who can get after the passer, and it would only seem logical to switch to the 3-4 and take advantage of this. This way, Denver can also justify letting Hayward walk to save money. This is a copycat league, it's time Denver copies the best.

Optional end/'backer tweeners in the first two rounds:
Justin Tuck, ND
Demarcus Ware, Troy
David Pollack, Georgia
Jovan Haye, Vandy
Shawne Merriman, Maryland
Derrick Johnson, Texas (see Julian Peterson)
Darryl Blackstock, Virginia

Optional pass rushing DT in a one gap scheme in first two rounds:
Travis Johnson, FSU
Shaun Cody, USC
Mike Patterson, USC
John Babineaux, Iowa

(No Hawthorne is not a one gap pass rusher, he is a two gap run stuffer, James and Welsh rushed the passer for Wisconsin while Hawthorne and Jefferson plugged holes.) Denver can play the run, not the pass.

So it just makes since to make the switch and take advantage of the surplus of impact players at DE/LB in the early rounds.

OhNoKoolAid
02-08-2005, 07:41 PM
and I should add that Hawthorne is lazy (see Senior Bowl) and inconsistent, qualities that are unbecoming of a team that needs hungry, focused players to get over the hump.

Needless to say, I am not a Hawthorne fan.

Dream
02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Williams is going to Tampa Bay; he had a "back" injury in the Senior Bowl game and Gruden sat him out; he's so high on this kid, if Tampa Bay doesn't take him, he's not getting out of the top 10.

OhNoKoolAid
02-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Williams is going to Tampa Bay; he had a "back" injury in the Senior Bowl game and Gruden sat him out; he's so high on this kid, if Tampa Bay doesn't take him, he's not getting out of the top 10.

I agree, It was no secret he was enamored with that guy. Gruden loves the dual threat back and could make Williams a more explosive Charlie Garner. I just don't think Sporting News has taken time to review their draft, but they have been working hard to update the player profiles.

dbdom
02-09-2005, 06:46 AM
has Denver taking Cadillac Williams. While he is a nice player, I think this is a position of strength of the Broncos. Looking at the other picks, they could spend a little more time on this draft, but they have been updating the player profiles. I sure would love the player they have going one pick before Denver, Shawne Merriman of Maryland.

hes as good as gone to tampa, there will be 3 RB's drafted in teh top 15, ronnie brown, cadillac williams, cedric benson

OhNoKoolAid
02-09-2005, 09:30 PM
To me, of all the Mocks in the National News...the War Room is the worst, closely followed by Todd McShay and Scouts Inc....how they make a living doinf what they do is amazing....they are horrible....Pro Football Weekly with Joel Bushbaum used to be really good....but since he died, they are not as good...

Sorry to say it, but just stick to Kiper and ESPN....he crushes the rest....

Even Kiper has his problems. I just use the warroom for their in-depth scouting reports and inside workout information. I could care less about their draft other than it is a good topic for discussion.

PatrickdaDookie
02-09-2005, 11:32 PM
"Personally, I think only Shaun Cody could provide the interior pass rush needed if the Broncos stay in the 4-3, him or his teammate Patterson."

Most scouting reports on Cody say he would do best in a 3-4 since he is a mid-sized lineman. Too slow for a 4-3 end and too small for a DT.

I'd absolutely love to take Cody then move to a 3-4.

db32
02-10-2005, 02:22 AM
To me, of all the Mocks in the National News...the War Room is the worst, closely followed by Todd McShay and Scouts Inc....how they make a living doinf what they do is amazing....they are horrible....Pro Football Weekly with Joel Bushbaum used to be really good....but since he died, they are not as good...

Sorry to say it, but just stick to Kiper and ESPN....he crushes the rest....

A MAN AFTER MY OWN HEART!!!!!!!!!! Remeber, McShay was a Horton lackey too. And have you seen that guy??? He's a goofy lookin' mo... (finish this in your head for me). He looks like the senior year geek. As far as good ones go-DO NOT forget Russ Lande. I've been privelaged enough to have a few conversations with him-now that's the guy I'll defer to. He used to be a B.L.E.S.T.O. rep. for the Browns until Davis took over. Now the entire staff has been overhauled-and Russ got left out in the cold. I hope he gets a second chance somewhere. Mike Shannahan-if you read this stuff...

The Dark Knight
02-10-2005, 04:01 AM
The Sporting News Warroom hasn't got a clue. Last year they said we were take Ben Troupe or Ben Watson.

A runningback in the first round? When is the rest of the country (or just the Sporting News) gonna realize that we don't need a first round RB to turn him into a stud. Firest of all, we'll probably start Bell and pick up another 4th or later round gem in the draft.

Face it. Ruben Droughns, a practical unknown outside of Denver, got 1200 yards because of the system. We don't need to emphasize on RB's. We need to address other areas.

TXBRONC
02-10-2005, 09:07 AM

That's the updated version. They had us taking Ronnie Brown in there first mock draft. To say the least its off base with either guy.

TXBRONC
02-10-2005, 09:08 AM
The Sporting News Warroom hasn't got a clue. Last year they said we were take Ben Troupe or Ben Watson.

A runningback in the first round? When is the rest of the country (or just the Sporting News) gonna realize that we don't need a first round RB to turn him into a stud. Firest of all, we'll probably start Bell and pick up another 4th or later round gem in the draft.

Face it. Ruben Droughns, a practical unknown outside of Denver, got 1200 yards because of the system. We don't need to emphasize on RB's. We need to address other areas.

In one of the War Rooms versions of the draft they had us taking Carlos Dansby in the first round as well.

NJBRONCOSFAN
02-10-2005, 09:13 AM

Best available player left.
Not saying that's what will happen, but it might...if all the DL we are eyeing are drafted by the time we pick, we'll have no choice but to draft someone else, and if someone like Cadillac Williams, who will in almost all certainty be a top ten pick, drops to where we are in the draft...well, you gotta take him.

NJBRONCOSFAN
02-10-2005, 09:14 AM

A ton of people had us going after Watson or Troupe with our first round pick...but that was mostly before we traded up.

TXBRONC
02-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Best available player left.
Not saying that's what will happen, but it might...if all the DL we are eyeing are drafted by the time we pick, we'll have no choice but to draft someone else, and if someone like Cadillac Williams, who will in almost all certainty be a top ten pick, drops to where we are in the draft...well, you gotta take him.

Maybe, but then next area I think Denver would go to is the secondary for best available player.

TXBRONC
02-10-2005, 09:22 AM
A ton of people had us going after Watson or Troupe with our first round pick...but that was mostly before we traded up.

That's true, the so called experts were thinking that, but in reality those weren't the guys Shanahan was targeting all along. Clayton, Harris and Williams were the players Shanahan was looking at. I think was two more players Shanahan had his eye on but I can't remember who they were.

NJBRONCOSFAN
02-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Maybe, but then next area I think Denver would go to is the secondary for best available player.
That's true...but even in the secondary there aren't too many guys who could warrant a first round selection...Off the top of my head i can only think of Carlos Rodgers and Antrel Rolle...and rolle will def. be gone before we pick IMO.

TXBRONC
02-10-2005, 09:44 AM
That's true...but even in the secondary there aren't too many guys who could warrant a first round selection...Off the top of my head i can only think of Carlos Rodgers and Antrel Rolle...and rolle will def. be gone before we pick IMO.

Oh I agree with you, this draft isn't very deep talent wise. Going after Williams or his running mate Brown would still be way down on the list imo.

NJBRONCOSFAN
02-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Oh I agree with you, this draft isn't very deep talent wise. Going after Williams or his running mate Brown would still be way down on the list imo.
I would agree...unless they're able to pull off some trade on draft day featuring...say Droughns for a 3rd rounder.
I don't see it likely either, but I also don't see it as very likely for Williams or Rodgers to last til the time we pick...I think the two of them are just too good...I mean, most projection have them both going top 10...some have them both top 7.

TXBRONC
02-10-2005, 10:01 AM
I would agree...unless they're able to pull off some trade on draft day featuring...say Droughns for a 3rd rounder.
I don't see it likely either, but I also don't see it as very likely for Williams or Rodgers to last til the time we pick...I think the two of them are just too good...I mean, most projection have them both going top 10...some have them both top 7.

Yup I agree. Depending on how things fall out at the combine I can see us still being in the running for Shaun Cody and Hawthorne. If I'm not mistake right now both S. Cody's and Hawthrone's stock are in free fall.

NJBRONCOSFAN
02-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Yup I agree. Depending on how things fall out at the combine I can see us still being in the running for Shaun Cody and Hawthorne. If not mistake right now both S. Cody's and Hawthrone's stock is in free fall.
Then that brings up a whole new set up questions...do we want to draft players in that situation? I guess the combine will go along way in helping answer that question.

I just think of Randy Starks (i think that's name)...DT out of maryland, some had him as a late 1st rounder.i think he ended up giong in the 3rd round, didn't even play that much this year.

TXBRONC
02-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Then that brings up a whole new set up questions...do we want to draft players in that situation? I guess the combine will go along way in helping answer that question.

I just think of Randy Starks (i think that's name)...DT out of maryland, some had him as a late 1st rounder.i think he ended up giong in the 3rd round, didn't even play that much this year.

I think the combine is going to give us much clearer picture. Ultimately its risk no matter who you take at any one spot in the draft. Some are just better risks than others.

ttejuco
02-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Hopefully every second day pick the Broncos select will be sleeper gems and we have 4 brand new starters and destroy the AFC west.