PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Predictions On Who The Broncos Will Draft?

bailey24shutdwn
02-09-2005, 02:37 PM
I Predict that they will either draft DT Anttaj Hawthorne out of Wisconsin or DE/DT Shaun Cody out of the 2004 NATIONAL CHAMPION USC since we didnt have pressure on the opposing QBs which made them all look like Dan Marino except for Mike Vick because he did every thing on the ground. I hope Marcus Spears will drop down so we can draft him because he can pass rush and he can also drop back into zone coverage because of his speed and he was in a nfl style DEFENSE in LSU

Dream
02-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I think if Shaun Cody falls to #25 he's ours.

The other two lineman I can see slipping that far are Hawthorne (which I am not for) and Pollack who I wouldn't mind if we didn't get Cody.

I'm sure we'll go DL; hopefully it's Cody.

OhNoKoolAid
02-09-2005, 02:58 PM
I Predict that they will either draft DT Anttaj Hawthorne out of Wisconsin or DE/DT Shaun Cody out of the 2004 NATIONAL CHAMPION USC since we didnt have pressure on the opposing QBs which made them all look like Dan Marino except for Mike Vick because he did every thing on the ground. I hope Marcus Spears will drop down so we can draft him because he can pass rush and he can also drop back into zone coverage because of his speed and he was in a nfl style DEFENSE in LSU

Hawthorne IS NOT a pass rusher. He is lazy and takes plays off. Think Wendell Bryant.

As for Denver's draft, I can tell you what I want but Shanahan is so unpredictable that it won't matter, but for arguement's sake, Shawne Merriman can play in either the 4-3 or the 3-4 and be a stud.

buchosiete
02-09-2005, 03:00 PM
I like Erasmus James out of Wisconsin also. 6-3, 263 lbs. DE

OhNoKoolAid
02-09-2005, 03:03 PM
I like Erasmus James out of Wisconsin also. 6-3, 263 lbs. DE

He wold be nice, but at this point he would likely be off the board inthe first half of round one, but the combine can change anything...

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-09-2005, 05:01 PM
I think if Shaun Cody falls to #25 he's ours.

The other two lineman I can see slipping that far are Hawthorne (which I am not for) and Pollack who I wouldn't mind if we didn't get Cody.

I'm sure we'll go DL; hopefully it's Cody.

In my massive mock draft, which is almost done and I'll need a site to host a 32 page word document (hint, hint), I have the Vikings taking Cody because their biggest need is DT, both depth and starter, along with a DE opposite Udeze. So, Cody really is the only option for them because Travis Johnson will likely be gone, and Hawthorne and Patterson likely aren't worth that early of a pick, though I think Patterson could light up the combine and move up.

I have Pollack going to the Jags. Simply because he's a local hero of sorts here in Jacksonville and he's about the same risk as any of the other DEs available at that point in the first round. Can't overlook local heroes in the attempt to draw more ticket sales to a small market team.

After researching, I would like to see the Broncos reach for Patterson at 25. I think he may be the best DT in this draft when its said and done. I think Hawthorne will be fine as well though.

ttejuco
02-09-2005, 05:50 PM
"The Denver Broncos have selected Heath Miller of Virginia"

*Audible boos in the backround*

Dream
02-09-2005, 06:16 PM
In my massive mock draft, which is almost done and I'll need a site to host a 32 page word document (hint, hint), I have the Vikings taking Cody because their biggest need is DT, both depth and starter, along with a DE opposite Udeze.

I like everything you posted but this. I know a lot of Vikings fans and they seem pretty high on the Rookie DT's that they had in place of Hovan this year. If Moss is traded, Minnesota's strategy changes drastically. I do think that they'll go defense, but I think they'll take a pass on Shaun Cody.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Doesn't Mike Patterson basically equal former Penn St, and current 49er DT Anthony Adams??

The Broncos should take DE DeMarcus Ware if he is available...

Bah, I said that last month, Ware is yesterday's news now.

Now, its Patterson. Watch and see, after the combine, all the mocks will have us drafting him, and Ill have to change again.

Milehigh117
02-09-2005, 08:53 PM
First of all, the biggest need for the vikes is not a DT, they just spent a first rounder two years ago on a DT in kevin williams, and last year on a DE, udeze. They got great play out of their undrafted free agent guy i forget his name. Their biggest need will most likely be WR since moss will most likely be gone, or possibly G, because David dixon is getting very old. They could also fill spots in their secondary or pitiful linebacking core because chris claiborne is overrated and isnt a consistent playmaker.

I am very far from being a fan of Mike Patterson, he was made to look great on a phenomenal USC defensive line and the same will not happen for him in the pros, case in point how he struggle at the senior bowl. The only undersized DT this team should get is brandon kennedy back. We actually have pretty decent depth on the interior of the line, so I think we need to get a speed rushing end like either the very underrated Justin Tuck, or Shawne Merriman, who can play both end and OLB.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-09-2005, 09:10 PM
First of all, the biggest need for the vikes is not a DT, they just spent a first rounder two years ago on a DT in kevin williams, and last year on a DE, udeze. They got great play out of their undrafted free agent guy i forget his name. Their biggest need will most likely be WR since moss will most likely be gone, or possibly G, because David dixon is getting very old. They could also fill spots in their secondary or pitiful linebacking core because chris claiborne is overrated and isnt a consistent playmaker.

I am very far from being a fan of Mike Patterson, he was made to look great on a phenomenal USC defensive line and the same will not happen for him in the pros, case in point how he struggle at the senior bowl. The only undersized DT this team should get is brandon kennedy back. We actually have pretty decent depth on the interior of the line, so I think we need to get a speed rushing end like either the very underrated Justin Tuck, or Shawne Merriman, who can play both end and OLB.

LMAO, don't "First of all" me.

School time....

Vikings DTs (all on the roster)
Kevin Williams 70 tackles 12 sacks, 8 passes defended
Spencer Johnson 38 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended
Steve Martin 20 tackles, 1/2 sack, 1 pass defended

Oooh, the depth. Oooh, the production. Ooooooh. You can't even survive in this league with 3 DTs. Try again. The Vikings biggest problem is stopping the run. Thus DT is their biggest need.

Poor CBs? Are you nuts?
Antoine Winfield 78 tackles, 3 ints, 8 passes defended
Brian Williams 71 tackles, 2 ints, 11 passes defended.
Terrence Shaw (nickel back) 31 tackles, 1 int, 5 passes defended
AND, Ken Irvin was injured all season and will be back next season.

Linebackers
Leading tackler EJ Henderson 94 tackles, 1 sack
Solid rookie Dontarrious Thomas 51 tackles, 1/2 sack in part time play.
Dissapointing, but talented, Chris Claiborne 58 tackles, 1 sack, 5 passes defended

More information for you....

The Vikings are number 1 in the entire NFL in salary cap space at 30 Million under the cap. If Moss is traded, they sign Burress. Done deal.

Also, try and follow me here....There are good safeties and LBs available in FA, the only good DTs will be franchised. Thus....the ONLY way for the Vikings to improve against the run and find a starter to play besides Williams is the first round of the draft.

Schools out. I'll be here all week, feel free to stop by again, I've researched every NFL team to death.

OhNoKoolAid
02-09-2005, 09:36 PM

Did you not watch the workouts leading up to the draft? Patterson outclassed everyone's favorite Hawthorne, and even gave Cody a run for his money. He was obviously the most disruptive upfield playmaker at the Senior Bowl. The comparison to him and Kennedy isn't even close, about one second in the 40 yard dash off. Next to Babineaux, Patterson will have the best agility and speed tests at the combine.

After that, I do love your choices of Merriman and Tuck, Merriman especially. The only downside is that both are expected to be workout warriors and their stock will rise significantly.

OhNoKoolAid
02-09-2005, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Mat'hir Uth Gan]In my massive mock draft, which is almost done and I'll need a site to host a 32 page word document (hint, hint), I have the Vikings taking Cody because their biggest need is DT, both depth and starter, along with a DE opposite Udeze. So, Cody really is the only option for them because Travis Johnson will likely be gone, and Hawthorne and Patterson likely aren't worth that early of a pick, though I think Patterson could light up the combine and move up. QUOTE]

Mat'hir, like you I too consider myself a draft junkie (though I don't have the time to create a book for a mock draft, I currently am preparing a report for a 4000 level course on a statistical comparison between teams who spend draft picks on free agents as compared to those that stick to the draft to build there team over the last five years.) and I would be interested in reading what you have created. I see your point in the Minnesota circumstance, but my only concern is that one, drafting too often in the same position wears on both fans and owners and could be a risking proposition for Tice, and two, defnsive tackles sometimes take two to three years (Kevin Williams aside, go Pokes) to start producing, and Minnesota could be in a position to tap into free agency to "win now." Other than that, it would be logical for the Vikings to address an inconsistent defensive line. Let me know back on when you finally find a home for your draft expose.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-09-2005, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=Mat'hir Uth Gan]In my massive mock draft, which is almost done and I'll need a site to host a 32 page word document (hint, hint), I have the Vikings taking Cody because their biggest need is DT, both depth and starter, along with a DE opposite Udeze. So, Cody really is the only option for them because Travis Johnson will likely be gone, and Hawthorne and Patterson likely aren't worth that early of a pick, though I think Patterson could light up the combine and move up. QUOTE]

Mat'hir, like you I too consider myself a draft junkie (though I don't have the time to create a book for a mock draft, I currently am preparing a report for a 4000 level course on a statistical comparison between teams who spend draft picks on free agents as compared to those that stick to the draft to build there team over the last five years.) and I would be interested in reading what you have created. I see your point in the Minnesota circumstance, but my only concern is that one, drafting too often in the same position wears on both fans and owners and could be a risking proposition for Tice, and two, defnsive tackles sometimes take two to three years (Kevin Williams aside, go Pokes) to start producing, and Minnesota could be in a position to tap into free agency to "win now." Other than that, it would be logical for the Vikings to address an inconsistent defensive line. Let me know back on when you finally find a home for your draft expose.

Will do. I majored in Business Management a few years ago, I did my big statistics project on SUV vs. Minivan consumer traits and found the various correlations. I loved statistics, there is very little math in law and I miss it. Your project sounds more fun then mine though.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Here is my Vikings page, just an example of what I'm doing. The format is all messed up because I just cut and pasted. Nothing amazing, but a good read if nothing else and always an explanation for my mock picks, which is more then what most do.

18) Minnesota Vikings
- 4th Total Offense
- 18th Rushing, 2nd Passing
- 28th Total Defense
- 21st Rushing, 29th Passing

**Early Picks Last Draft**
- DE (1st), LB (2nd), DE (3rd), OT (4th), RB (4th)

NOTES
- The team is in tremendous cap shape, can do anything they want.
- The owner is trying to sell the team, and likely wont spend until he does.
- Randy Moss may get traded, both sides want to get him out, hard to do though.
- A trade to Oakland for CB Buchanon and a first round pick is the leader atm.
- The team may trade one of its talented RBs, ridiculous depth.
- The safeties are the failure of this team, the LBs are marginal.

Current Free Agents:
OG: David Dixon was solid. Likely to be resigned if not upgraded upon.
TE: Jermaine Wiggens had a tremendous breakout year. A lock to be resigned.
QB: Backup Frerotte will likely return.
DT: Former star, now fallen from grace, Chris Hovan will not be back.
LB: Starters Claiborne and Newman likely wonít be back. OLB is a need.

Salary Cap Status:
- 30mil UNDER the cap
- They have a ton of flexibility, though trading Moss will eat up a lot of it.
- Will likely address CB in FA, Fred Smoot perhaps, if the Oakland trade falls through.
- Could easily trade one of their RBs to Miami for CB Surtain. Most likely Bennett.
- Ian Gold makes sense at OLB, would be a tremendous upgrade, add coverage and speed.

Areas of Need:
LB (s), DT (s), OG (s), S (s/r), CB (s/r), TE (r)

Draft Analysis:
The Vikings have the money to sign anybody they choose, even if they trade Randy Moss. Assuming they trade Moss, I think they pick up Plaxxico Buress so I donít believe theyíd burn a pick on a WR early. They also have the money to address the defense in Free Agency. There are solid CBs available; Fred Smoot at CB or Dwight Smith from Tampa Bay makes sense at either CB or S. Basically, the secondary can be addressed through FA. The one position that is a huge need but not able to be addressed in FA is DT. The good DTís will be franchised, and this is a very weak DT draft. I think the Vikings will pick whichever DT out of Shaun Cody and Anttaj Hawthorne impresses the most at the combine. As of now, DT Shaun Cody has the higher value, so thatís the selection Iím projecting. There isnít much DT depth in this draft and Mike Patterson isnít likely to slip to the Vikings in the 2nd round. They need an instant impact at the position and they must get it with pick 1. They only have 3 DTs on the entire roster.