PDA

View Full Version : What unusual pick wouldn't suprise you?

OhNoKoolAid
02-10-2005, 11:11 PM
I know that sounds odd but hang with me. Shanahan has been know for drafting players outside the position or players that "experts" have pegged for Denver. For instance, last year everyone "knew" Denver would be taking Stephen Jackson or Kevin Jones, but were suprised to see him go with D.J. Williams. Foster two years ago was taken over everyone's suggestion of Kwame Harris. So, what player can you see Shanahan shocking the experts with by drafting?

This may be confusing so I'll start. I wouldn't be suprised to see Denver draft Troy Williamson, WR from South Carolina. Knowing that Smith's number is coming, and worried about Watts development, Shanahan could suprise by drafting this game breaking WR with elite speed. Compared to Chad Johnson, this early entry could pair with Lelie to compromise the most explosive WR duo in the NFL. In a matter of years, the trio of Williamson, Lelie and Bell could be the most explosive offense in the NFL (also add a developed Putzier to that mix).

This isn't neccessarily who I think Denver will take, it is just a "suprising" pick that wouldn't suprise me. Have fun with this if you'd like, but please no Pollacks, or Codys or Hawthornes, something off the cuff. Be original and support your opinion.

JWinn
02-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Well, I dont watch college ball, so I cant pick any certian individual. But I do have what might be suprise pick for a position.

Even though I want Defensive linemen, I'd kinda like a high pick for punter. I know, Punters & Kickers dont usually go very high, but I think an investment in a good punter, (if one's available), would be an unusual pick that would suprise me.

We certianly have a need in this area.

JoRo
02-11-2005, 05:35 AM
I cant member his name but i read bout a probable late day linebacker who is very fast an athletic. Hed be second day or third round cuz he played small college..... but I think shanny may be loookin to fill out the 3 lb spots.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-11-2005, 05:44 AM
In the first round?

WR, CB, or OT would be the fringe positions that we *could* use depth and development at, but aren't really a pressing need. Which means that's what we'll probably select while we ignore the D-line for another draft.

Dream
02-11-2005, 06:28 AM
I know that sounds odd but hang with me. Shanahan has been know for drafting players outside the position or players that "experts" have pegged for Denver. For instance, last year everyone "knew" Denver would be taking Stephen Jackson or Kevin Jones, but were suprised to see him go with D.J. Williams. Foster two years ago was taken over everyone's suggestion of Kwame Harris. So, what player can you see Shanahan shocking the experts with by drafting?

This may be confusing so I'll start. I wouldn't be suprised to see Denver draft Troy Williamson, WR from South Carolina. Knowing that Smith's number is coming, and worried about Watts development, Shanahan could suprise by drafting this game breaking WR with elite speed. Compared to Chad Johnson, this early entry could pair with Lelie to compromise the most explosive WR duo in the NFL. In a matter of years, the trio of Williamson, Lelie and Bell could be the most explosive offense in the NFL (also add a developed Putzier to that mix).

This isn't neccessarily who I think Denver will take, it is just a "suprising" pick that wouldn't suprise me. Have fun with this if you'd like, but please no Pollacks, or Codys or Hawthornes, something off the cuff. Be original and support your opinion.

I'm absolutely in love with Troy Williamson; but I think he's the third receiver taken off the board after Edwards and Williams and will probably go to a team like the Baltimore Ravens who could use some explosiveness on the offensive side of the ball; giving a target to Boller. I don't think we'll take a receiver anyways; I think at #25 -- unless there is a guy like Shaun Cody on the board -- we'll take the best player by position.

I know that with O'neal and Middlebrooks, Shanahan might shy away from picking up a player in the secondary; especially a cornerback -- but there is a lot of talent at CB this year and I wouldn't mind seeing us taking one; but with as much depth as there is, that need (if there really is one) could be issued in round three where I see a guy like Fabian Washington being taken off the board; however last year we drafted LeSeuer and that didn't do anything for us; but it'll be interesting to see how that acquistion pans out.

Brodney Pool as of right now is my darkhorse pick for the Broncos in the first round; I would be absolutely thrilled if we picked him up especially if we let Kennedy walk or even if we don't; it'll just be more depth to add to develop him in the future with John Lynch being a great mentor for him here.

An offensive lineman certainly isn't out of the question; but I don't see any player that could fall to us that merits a first round pick. David Baas would be an exception; but I feel he'll go to a team like the Texas, Browns or Bengals in the second round.

Shanahan better play this one smart; I'll be super pissed if he doesn't come through with a decent draft this year. There isn't a lot we need on our team and if we can address our need at defensive line and pick up other players to just add depth to our roster; I'd be satisfied. I'll probably post a new mock draft for the Broncos tonight or sometime over the weekend.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-11-2005, 07:49 AM
I'm absolutely in love with Troy Williamson; but I think he's the third receiver taken off the board after Edwards and Williams and will probably go to a team like the Baltimore Ravens who could use some explosiveness on the offensive side of the ball; giving a target to Boller. I don't think we'll take a receiver anyways; I think at #25 -- unless there is a guy like Shaun Cody on the board -- we'll take the best player by position.

I know that with O'neal and Middlebrooks, Shanahan might shy away from picking up a player in the secondary; especially a cornerback -- but there is a lot of talent at CB this year and I wouldn't mind seeing us taking one; but with as much depth as there is, that need (if there really is one) could be issued in round three where I see a guy like Fabian Washington being taken off the board; however last year we drafted LeSeuer and that didn't do anything for us; but it'll be interesting to see how that acquistion pans out.

Brodney Pool as of right now is my darkhorse pick for the Broncos in the first round; I would be absolutely thrilled if we picked him up especially if we let Kennedy walk or even if we don't; it'll just be more depth to add to develop him in the future with John Lynch being a great mentor for him here.

An offensive lineman certainly isn't out of the question; but I don't see any player that could fall to us that merits a first round pick. David Baas would be an exception; but I feel he'll go to a team like the Texas, Browns or Bengals in the second round.

Shanahan better play this one smart; I'll be super pissed if he doesn't come through with a decent draft this year. There isn't a lot we need on our team and if we can address our need at defensive line and pick up other players to just add depth to our roster; I'd be satisfied. I'll probably post a new mock draft for the Broncos tonight or sometime over the weekend.

1) Yeah, I have the Ravens taking Williamson in the first, however, if they trade for Moss, I think they change to Clayton for his "hands" instead of field stretching ability found in Williamson. As for the Broncos, my opinion is when Smith hangs it up, we simply sign the best WR in FA. Gambling to find a #1 in the draft is a massive risk.

2) Depending on if we resign Walls and Herndon THIS offseason, I think there might not be a need at CB at all. With Shaote and Alexander from last draft/free agency, and Middlebrooks finally playing well, we are loaded with depth.

3) At safety, Chris Young looks very promising. Nick Ferguson proved he was solid, but then was foolishly benched this past season for Lynch. I still believe Hernon should be moved to FS and would be exceptional there. I just don't see a need at all, even with Kennedy leaving. LeSeur was drafted to be developed as a FS btw.

4) Khalif Barnes might drop and would be very good value at 25. He's the best OT in this draft if his wrist injury had not occured (he's now healthy). He projects to LT and could replace Lepsis in a year or so and save significant cap space.

5) If we pass on a quality D-lineman in the first, I'm just going to give up on management completely. This is a draft I am extremely interested in. I do think we go OL in the 2nd round though. Weve got to replace our high-priced veterans soon.

ttejuco
02-11-2005, 12:51 PM
1) Yeah, I have the Ravens taking Williamson in the first, however, if they trade for Moss, I think they change to Clayton for his "hands" instead of field stretching ability found in Williamson. As for the Broncos, my opinion is when Smith hangs it up, we simply sign the best WR in FA. Gambling to find a #1 in the draft is a massive risk.

2) Depending on if we resign Walls and Herndon THIS offseason, I think there might not be a need at CB at all. With Shaote and Alexander from last draft/free agency, and Middlebrooks finally playing well, we are loaded with depth.

3) At safety, Chris Young looks very promising. Nick Ferguson proved he was solid, but then was foolishly benched this past season for Lynch. I still believe Hernon should be moved to FS and would be exceptional there. I just don't see a need at all, even with Kennedy leaving. LeSeur was drafted to be developed as a FS btw.

4) Khalif Barnes might drop and would be very good value at 25. He's the best OT in this draft if his wrist injury had not occured (he's now healthy). He projects to LT and could replace Lepsis in a year or so and save significant cap space.

5) If we pass on a quality D-lineman in the first, I'm just going to give up on management completely. This is a draft I am extremely interested in. I do think we go OL in the 2nd round though. Weve got to replace our high-priced veterans soon.

1) We have alot of young WR's who will develop, just as Lelie will develop into the #1 reciever. I believe Smith wont retire until he knows Lelie is ready.

2) Your forgetting about Jeremy LeSueur, but more on that later...

3) LeSueur SHOULD be moved to FS.

4) I dont ever recall the Broncos starting a rookie offensive linemen, it takes a while to learn the scheme and zone blocking techniques. Besides that, the first round should go to...

5) A defensive lineman SHOULD be taken in the first round, or if not some sort or DE/OLB tweener if the Broncos do switch to 3-4. The second round should be for drafting Jason Cambell or Charlie Frye. Plummer definately has to be pushed, just like Brees was this year.

Tony
02-11-2005, 01:12 PM
I hope shanny does pick a DT in the first rd, but it wouldn't surprise me if he picks heath miller though. :coffee: