PDA

View Full Version : Scenario: If we switched to the 3-4 full time

PRBronco
02-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Ok, i'm on reading break right now, so i've got absolutely nothing to do. Take a look at what we could do if were to totally commit to the 3-4 defense:

Regarding Pryce: As much as it pains me, trade pryce (making too much to be "just" a 3-4 DE) for a late first or early second rounder (hopefully) we dont' have much leverage, so hopefully a couple teams get into a bidding war.

Regarding our free agents: Let kenoy and reggie go. I'll miss them, but they just don't fit, and are both going to make themselves a LOT of money this year, good for them.
Resign hamilton if reasonable, but we have to remember, he's like the worst guard in the world, but it'll be nice to have him once nalen probably leaves or retires after next year.
Resign lenny walls, and herndon if possible, but don't jump through hoops for him.
Resign dorsett davis and luther elliss.
There's other guys that need resigning, but i won't get into it, cuz they're not really involved in my little 3-4 dream world here.

Ok, now we have salary cap breathing room, so let's blow it on crappy free agents, right shanny? WRONG! For once, just sign a couple guys, and ones that don't suck please:
Free agents: The biggest name we should go after is Seth Payne, to be our primary nose tackle. Marcus Bell would be a good depth nose tackle who should come cheap.
Someone on orangemane suggested mike wahle, but i can't find any evidence of him being a free agent, so i guess that was a mistake. If they dont' resign hamilton, andruzzi would be a VERY good pick up, but could get pricey.

Ok, that's it for free agents, that wasn't so bad was it? And look, we haven't screwed ourselves for the future!

Ok, now everybody's favourite off season discussion topic, the draft!
This is going to be the best part of switching to a 3-4, you can get guys for it in later rounds, so here's my take on our first few picks, and then i'll give a list of guys probably available in later rounds:

The Draft: First off, remember, in the pryce trade we got a late first or early second rounder.

First: Ok, if shawn merriman is here, we jump on him, he'll get roughly 30 sacks a year in our 3-4 (for all the people here with no sense of humour, that's called hyperbole)
If no merriman, shaun cody or marcus spears will be good DEs on the 3 man line. If none of them, maybe brodney pool, or david baas, or just say forget it and trade out of the first.

Second (pick, not necessarily second round): Ok david baas would be a good pick now.
If we would like to go defense, a sweet pickup would be demarcus ware, darryl blackstock or justin tuck to be a devastating OLB for us (assuming we didn't draft merriman).
If we drafted merriman first, we could look at chris canty here to play DE.

Thirdly: Ok, these picks all depend on what we got previously, eg. if we drafted a OLB previously, obviously i'm not implying we take another one.
Good pass rushing OLB tweeners: Ryan riddle or bill swancutt.
O lineman we could get here: Marcus johnson, ben wilkerson or chris spencer

So, that looks alright doesn't it? Stay tuned for my next post which will list some late rounders perfect for a 3 man line.

PRBronco
02-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Ok, here's some guys that would probalby make good 3-4 DE's:
Simon Fraser (if he bulks up)
Mike Montgomery
Jim Davis
Jay Ratliff
Eric Coleman and Santonio Thomas (those guys are iffy)

Here's a couple nose tackles (maybe for our pick at the end of the third if we get it):
Anthony Bryant
Sione Pouha
Albert Means
Ronald Fields

Also, a late rounder who could be a stud OLB in a 3-4 is jonathan (doodoo doo doo i'm just a sacks machine) goddard from marshall.

So, there you have it, a dominating 3-4 defense without breaking the bank. If only it were that easy :ugh:

*edit* Oh yeah, comments and contributions welcome as always! (Given that that's kind of the point of the board)

PRBronco
02-15-2005, 01:40 PM
If you're not familiar with some of the players here, a good site with profiles is NFL draft countdown (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html)

TXBRONC
02-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Ok, i'm on reading break right now, so i've got absolutely nothing to do. Take a look at what we could do if were to totally commit to the 3-4 defense:

Regarding Pryce: As much as it pains me, trade pryce (making too much to be "just" a 3-4 DE) for a late first or early second rounder (hopefully) we dont' have much leverage, so hopefully a couple teams get into a bidding war.

Regarding our free agents: Let kenoy and reggie go. I'll miss them, but they just don't fit, and are both going to make themselves a LOT of money this year, good for them.
Resign hamilton if reasonable, but we have to remember, he's like the worst guard in the world, but it'll be nice to have him once nalen probably leaves or retires after next year.
Resign lenny walls, and herndon if possible, but don't jump through hoops for him.
Resign dorsett davis and luther elliss.
There's other guys that need resigning, but i won't get into it, cuz they're not really involved in my little 3-4 dream world here.

Ok, now we have salary cap breathing room, so let's blow it on crappy free agents, right shanny? WRONG! For once, just sign a couple guys, and ones that don't suck please:
Free agents: The biggest name we should go after is Seth Payne, to be our primary nose tackle. Marcus Bell would be a good depth nose tackle who should come cheap.
Someone on orangemane suggested mike wahle, but i can't find any evidence of him being a free agent, so i guess that was a mistake. If they dont' resign hamilton, andruzzi would be a VERY good pick up, but could get pricey.

Ok, that's it for free agents, that wasn't so bad was it? And look, we haven't screwed ourselves for the future!

Ok, now everybody's favourite off season discussion topic, the draft!
This is going to be the best part of switching to a 3-4, you can get guys for it in later rounds, so here's my take on our first few picks, and then i'll give a list of guys probably available in later rounds:

The Draft: First off, remember, in the pryce trade we got a late first or early second rounder.

First: Ok, if shawn merriman is here, we jump on him, he'll get roughly 30 sacks a year in our 3-4 (for all the people here with no sense of humour, that's called hyperbole)
If no merriman, shaun cody or marcus spears will be good DEs on the 3 man line. If none of them, maybe brodney pool, or david baas, or just say forget it and trade out of the first.

Second (pick, not necessarily second round): Ok david baas would be a good pick now.
If we would like to go defense, a sweet pickup would be demarcus ware, darryl blackstock or justin tuck to be a devastating OLB for us (assuming we didn't draft merriman).
If we drafted merriman first, we could look at chris canty here to play DE.

Thirdly: Ok, these picks all depend on what we got previously, eg. if we drafted a OLB previously, obviously i'm not implying we take another one.
Good pass rushing OLB tweeners: Ryan riddle or bill swancutt.
O lineman we could get here: Marcus johnson, ben wilkerson or chris spencer

So, that looks alright doesn't it? Stay tuned for my next post which will list some late rounders perfect for a 3 man line.

Just one point here. Ben Hamilton is a priority so not a matter of being reasonable. He's looked at as the heir apparent to Nalen when he retires. Shanahan wants him back.

ttejuco
02-15-2005, 02:20 PM
If this 3-4 would be a full time change, we would have one of the most stud linebacker corps in the league, and dare i say, better than the Ravens??? I dont know if Ed Hartwell is a FA, someone find that out. But if we were to draft Shawne Merriman, or possibly Ryan Claridge/Kenneth Pettway in a lower round, we would have a great LB corps for a 3-4. Or even steal Derrick Johnson away from the Saints again (last year they wanted DJ). There are so many players in this draft who are tweener types, and i wouldnt be surprised if the Broncos easily make the transition because of the availability of players.

Here's a couple nose tackles (maybe for our pick at the end of the third if we get it):
Anthony Bryant
Sione Pouha
Albert Means
Ronald Fields

The knock on all those nose tackles is that they are all out of shape and that they wear down during the game. Meaning we would need to get a few NT's so we can rotate them, so they dont get too tired. If they all have inconsistent motors then it's pretty much useless to aquire them.

PRBronco
02-15-2005, 03:21 PM
The knock on all those nose tackles is that they are all out of shape and that they wear down during the game. Meaning we would need to get a few NT's so we can rotate them, so they dont get too tired. If they all have inconsistent motors then it's pretty much useless to aquire them.

Yeah, i know, that's why i'm suggesting we sign seth payne and another vet, and make sure we're 3 or 4 deep at nose tackle.

I forgot to mention robert mccune as a wicked draftee for depth at MLB.

And yeah, i'm pretty sure edge hartwell's a FA.

ttejuco
02-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Seth Payne would be awsome, he owned Tom Nalen when we played the Texans.

JoRo
02-15-2005, 06:30 PM
he kinda has like 35-50 lbs goin for him

ttejuco
02-16-2005, 02:34 PM
yeah pretty much, i could see him on the Broncos, he pretty much is a journeyman

PRBronco
02-16-2005, 02:51 PM
How is he a journeyman? He's only played on 2 different teams in his 8 or so year career.

PRBronco
02-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah razor, i know, i'm actually suggesting we play luther elliss as the other defensive end, terrible isn't it? In a perfect world we would have marcus spears or shaun cody at one end. Also, if you check my second post, i listed a bunch more guys that i thought would make good DEs. As far as pope, ellis johnson, raylee, and palepoi, i know, they are better suited for a 4-3, and that's why i didn't mention them, this thread is what we could do if we committed to a 3-4 100%, and in doing so, we could cut (or not resign) their lazy butts. Maybe keep pope around, i suppose he might be able to play DE on the 3 man, but probably not well. And notice what i said about nose tackles, i didn't mention fatafehi, i don't see him doing well there, i dunno, i'm pretty down on all our D linemen right now, understandably.

ttejuco
02-16-2005, 04:26 PM
oops my bad, i was thinking keith traylor

urinal_cake
02-16-2005, 05:00 PM
A three-four minus Hayward and Pryce would have:

LDE Dorsett Davis

NT Mario Fatafehi

RDE ???

Shaun Cody (hopefully)

EddyMac87
02-16-2005, 06:25 PM
If we are trying to make the 3-4 D our base defence, then we have to make a run at Pat Williams...if we can pick him up somehow, then our D would be much improved...Pat's the #1 FA i want

PRBronco
02-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Pat would improve us no matter what D we're playing. Haven't heard his name mentioned too much, but i bet we won't be able to afford him.

speedracer2411
02-16-2005, 10:24 PM
u agree with u but i say keep kennedy he is argubly one of the best hard hitting safteys in the leauge.
Also i think that we should draft a linebacker early in the draft maybe not our first rounder but whatever we get out of pryce i say we use to draft a linebacker.

PRBronco
02-16-2005, 10:52 PM
There's something i've noticed about linebackers, you can have the best ones in the world and go nowhere (see: us, the bills, the ravens), and you can get perfectly good linebackers in later rounds (spragan, sykes, don't feel like finding others). But you can't do jack if you don't have a wicked D line, and most good D linemen are picked in the first 3 rounds. Basically what i'm saying is, no speedracer, i don't think we should draft a linebacker at all, not on the first day, as much as i love DJ i'm starting to believe what mathir ugthan is saying and i don't think we should have gotten him last year.

JRWIZ
02-16-2005, 11:04 PM
u agree with u but i say keep kennedy he is argubly one of the best hard hitting safteys in the leauge.Also i think that we should draft a linebacker early in the draft maybe not our first rounder but whatever we get out of pryce i say we use to draft a linebacker.

But he can't cover squat old ladies could catch balls over him. If you can't catch them YOU CAN'T HIT THEM.

ttejuco
02-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Generally, strong safeties are the "monster" or extra linebacker who helps on run support. Free safeties should be the better coverage player, but Lynch isnt blazing fast and i dont think is right at FS. I think they should move him back to SS, and we should figure out who to put at FS.

PRBronco
02-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Let's not get this thread derailed here fellas, I said in the first post that i think kenoy shouldn't be resigned. I think lynch brings more to the table, and there's no way we need 2 guys with their skill sets on the field at the same time, there's a reason there's 2 different safety positions. Ok, i derailed my own thread, back to the 3-4!

Man i wish we were gonna do this, it would be so sweet.

TXBRONC
02-17-2005, 10:02 AM
But he can't cover squat old ladies could catch balls over him. If you can't catch them YOU CAN'T HIT THEM.

I think he covers alright its just that he's more inclined to go for a big hit than he is to try and pick the pass off.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-17-2005, 12:09 PM
I think he covers alright its just that he's more inclined to go for a big hit than he is to try and pick the pass off.

No, he's slow, has no recovery speed at all, and has terrible hands. Kennedy is possibly the worst coverage safety in the league, or if not, he's right behind John Lynch.