PDA

View Full Version : Chargers put Franchise Tag on Brees

The Dark Knight
02-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Chargers put Franchise Tag on Brees (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-brees&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Well, are they gonna keep him or not? If they ever hope to compete next year they better kepp him. Their schedule isn't much easier than ours.

Snk16
02-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Get rid of him, we won't have a challenge against the Chargers. :D

All kidding aside. I think the tag is there just for now and they will give him a long term deal after they figure out this Rivers deal. He's getting a ton of cash though. I mean with Vick and Peyton up there with nearly 100 mil a piece that's alreayd the top 2 paid QBs. That's got to bring up the average. I don't think Brees's gonna complain about that.

urinal_cake
02-17-2005, 05:40 PM
They're doing it to make sure Brees is a diamond and not cubic zirconiumô

rcsodak
02-17-2005, 09:52 PM
I agree, UC......

I've heard told that they want to play him another season to see if this year was a farce. If he has as good of or better stats, then they will then decide whether to do ANOTHER tag on him, sign him and trade Rivers, or vise versa.

I will laugh my buttutimous off if this backfires on them.

scenario:
he plays another good season.
they sign him to a 7 yr, $84M contract
they trade Rivers
that next season, Breeze reverts back and so does the franchise

That'll teach those greedy bass-turds...... ;)

Jared
02-17-2005, 09:59 PM
I agree, UC......

I've heard told that they want to play him another season to see if this year was a farce. If he has as good of or better stats, then they will then decide whether to do ANOTHER tag on him, sign him and trade Rivers, or vise versa.

I will laugh my buttutimous off if this backfires on them.

scenario:
he plays another good season.
they sign him to a 7 yr, $84M contract
they trade Rivers
that next season, Breeze reverts back and so does the franchise

That'll teach those greedy bass-turds...... ;)

Well the thing that blows my mind is that Rivers' value drops every day he doesn't play. So lets say that Brees plays well again next season, and SD decides that they wasted a pick on Rivers and want to dump him. Cutting him accelerates his gigantic bonus. What kind of trade value will he have? He hasn't played at all.

I was living there when this pick wnet down, and I STILL think Robert Gallery would have helped them more than Rivers. So far, that has been true. Gallery is rockin and rolling in Oakland, while Rivers remains the highest paid clipboard holder in the NFL

JRWIZ
02-18-2005, 08:02 AM
So lets drive a stake through the heart of this dream. Anyone that wants to go after him needs to forget it.

vicious2500
02-18-2005, 09:36 AM
So lets drive a stake through the heart of this dream. Anyone that wants to go after him needs to forget it.

Honestly I never thought about it. I still think everybody needs to stop banking off his one year of success. He's a one year wonder :duh:

bleedbluorange
02-18-2005, 09:40 AM
So lets drive a stake through the heart of this dream. Anyone that wants to go after him needs to forget it.Well they say a team can make him an offer. If they get him then the team would have to give up two first rounders. I say lets do it :confused: . I'm sure someone hates Jake enough to actually think this is viable.

steve6787
02-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Its a "non-exclusive" franchise tag, meaning he can still neg. with other teams. Although I would like to see another good season before giving him what he wants. Although he did look pretty good last year, I mean the only good receivers he had was LT and Gates.

vicious2500
02-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Its a "non-exclusive" franchise tag, meaning he can still neg. with other teams. Although I would like to see another good season before giving him what he wants. Although he did look pretty good last year, I mean the only good receivers he had was LT and Gates.

Midway through the season they acquired Keenan Mccardell through a trade with the bucs. He gave them a WR option making there offense a bit more balanced. he had 3 sure handed options to go to ...

Snk16
02-18-2005, 10:56 AM
This should be in Other NFL Teams where it belongs and where a duplicate is.

Javalon
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Honestly I never thought about it. I still think everybody needs to stop banking off his one year of success. He's a one year wonder :duh:
Yep. I think it would be folly to give this guy a huge, long-term contract based off of one good season. Especially when we'll now have to give up draft picks to get him.

Don't forget how great Griese looked for one season and what happened when we gave him the huge payday. Brees might not turn out like that. Then again, he might. It's a big risk.

bleedbluorange
02-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Yep. I think it would be folly to give this guy a huge, long-term contract based off of one good season. Especially when we'll now have to give up draft picks to get him.

Don't forget how great Griese looked for one season and what happened when we gave him the huge payday. Brees might not turn out like that. Then again, he might. It's a big risk.
The chargers made a really good decision franchising him. However if he goes out and repeats his performance they have a huge problem on their hands.

TXBRONC
02-18-2005, 11:25 AM

About a month ago I heard that the Chargers just might do this very thing. They have the cap space to get away with it. I think also gives Rivers a little more time to develope before he get a chance to compete for the starting role.

TXBRONC
02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
The chargers made a really good decision franchising him. However if he goes out and repeats his performance they have a huge problem on their hands.

I think that depends on how fast and how well Rivers developes. Since the Chargers did spend a #1 pick on him he's going to get a chance to start sooner or later.

bleedbluorange
02-18-2005, 11:46 AM
I think that depends on how fast and how well Rivers developes. Since the Chargers did spend a #1 pick on him he's going to get a chance to start sooner or later.
I doubt they let him set on the bench more than two years. Regardless of what Brees does this year.

orangenblue420
02-18-2005, 11:50 AM
I really dont see what all the hype is about - he has had one good season - alot of players have one good year and do nothing ever again - Maybe its the SYSTEM - LOL

Javalon
02-18-2005, 12:15 PM
I doubt they let him set on the bench more than two years. Regardless of what Brees does this year.
God, I can't see paying that kind of money for Rivers to ride the bench two years in a row. One year of getting used to the NFL and learning the playbook? Sure. But two years just downright hurts. That's seriously painful.

TXBRONC
02-18-2005, 02:08 PM

I agree, that he's going to get his chance and of course Brees then becomes Pro Footballs highest paid back up.

orangenblue420
02-18-2005, 02:09 PM
I agree, that he's going to get his chance and of course Brees then becomes Pro Footballs highest paid back up.

And the chargers return to the basement of the AFC West if not the NFL :D

Drewsyourdaddy9
02-18-2005, 02:48 PM
God, I can't see paying that kind of money for Rivers to ride the bench two years in a row. One year of getting used to the NFL and learning the playbook? Sure. But two years just downright hurts. That's seriously painful.

We signed him and were gonna not sign him next year. Rivers is the future. Just for the pony fans who were intrested.

JRWIZ
02-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Well they say a team can make him an offer. If they get him then the team would have to give up two first rounders. I say lets do it :confused: . I'm sure someone hates Jake enough to actually think this is viable.
Still rolling on the floor wwith your response.

reboltfan
02-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Well the thing that blows my mind is that Rivers' value drops every day he doesn't play. So lets say that Brees plays well again next season, and SD decides that they wasted a pick on Rivers and want to dump him. Cutting him accelerates his gigantic bonus. What kind of trade value will he have? He hasn't played at all.

I was living there when this pick wnet down, and I STILL think Robert Gallery would have helped them more than Rivers. So far, that has been true. Gallery is rockin and rolling in Oakland, while Rivers remains the highest paid clipboard holder in the NFL

I disagree on your logic with Rivers. Many coaches have different opinions on whether or not a 1st year franchise QB should be thrown in the fire right away. So PR gained NFL system (and a little playing time) experience last year...that's bad for the Chargers? If Drew Brees plays well and PR receives one more year of a camp, preseason playing time, and a NFL experience...why would this make PR less valuable? PR would have to really stink-it-up in preseason to lower his value. Still, PR being a young QB, GM's would probably overlook the typical young QB mistakes as long as he shows good potential this year. Additional QB experience (even as a backup) can only benefit PR (and the Chargers) and NFL GM's looking for a QB in 2006 know that. Why would you draft a rookie QB when you could have a franchise prospect with almost 2 years experience (minus 1 training camp)? I think most teams in 2006 would give up at least a top 15 #1 draft choice for PR in 2006 if he just shows progress. However, in 2006, it will still be better for the Chargers (cap wise) to trade DB since PR already has a long term contract and they are paying big $$$s for his experience and training. The Chargers will have a much better idea of PR's true potential after 2005 and he should be more prepared to lead the team.

Bottomline, if both QB's look good (as they expect/hope) then you still have great trade value in 2006. If one looks really bad then you trade him for whatever you can and your happy that you didn't get rid of (trade) the other one too early. If they're both bad in 2005 then you most likely have other production problems (OL, WR, TE, etc.).

Jared
02-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Threads merged.

Use the search function. PLEASE!

rcsodak
02-18-2005, 10:41 PM
We signed him and were gonna not sign him next year. Rivers is the future. Just for the pony fans who were intrested.

Thanks, drew, but we can read the same articles.... :coffee:

I also noticed that the tag they put on him allows him to seek another team, if they're willing to depart with 2 #1's.......(yeah, right) :goofy:

Snk16
02-19-2005, 07:21 AM
I think Brees will be a one year wonder and that's what the tag is for.