PDA

View Full Version : the rules...

Lynch Bailey247
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
i know i have violated more rules than just cursing.... and i know these are the official boards of the Broncos, and we want to keep them civilized and such, but to ban someone or suspended someone for cursing is a bit too much, everyone now a days curses and if some people are offended by cursing they shouldnt be on the boards, i know you all may disagree, but this is my opinion....i think curse words are the most used words now a days lol :D

Jared
02-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Well, it is an opinion. You are entitled to it.

But the stance of the Denver Broncos Organization (since they pay for the bandwidth in order to let fans chat) is that this should be a board that a parent should not worry about their child coming to. Unlike public places, this is a privately owned and maintained bulletin board, and the organization can set whatever rules they want.

As someone who works in broadcasting, and who actually believes the FCC should be dismantled, I still completely agree with a private place or business having the ability to set rules as they see fit.

I am sorry that you feel that foul language shouldn't be an issue, but as a mod, I can't change that. If you truly feel strongly about it, contact the Denver Broncos home office.

But, I think you need to realize that professional sports ALL strive to be entertainment for the whole family, and there are considerations that have to be given in all aspects. Its a balancing act.

AzBroncoFan67
02-17-2005, 07:29 PM
I fully agree Jared, and admire your words in expressing it. This should be a place where anybody can get on and not worry about being offended by the language or slanders that many people have grown up around and don't find offensive. Not everybody grew up on the same street, and we should all respect that. I fully enjoy this site and we should all strive to make it a BETTER place for ALL to enjoy. After all, we all are rooting for the same team; right?

Elway
02-17-2005, 08:29 PM
If some people are offended by the rules enforced on the board then they have the option of not posting here. The COC is clearly posted and people have the right to decide if it is a community they want to participate or if they want to go somewhere the rules are more lax.

People don't come here becuase they want to be further exposed to expressions of profanity. Many people already have enough exposure to that when they are in public and have no control over the actions of others.

As a society we should be striving to express ourselves in a more meaningful intellectual way, not resorting to the basest form of verbal expression. The great thing about boards like this one is that people have a chance to express their views on a wide variety of topics. Even though it is a Broncos sponsored board, we allow for a wide range of discussion. All we ask for is that people do it in a responsible manner to each other. Even in the smack section we still try to enforce the rules of the board.

Thats just my view on it

Jared
02-17-2005, 11:51 PM
If some people are offended by the rules enforced on the board then they have the option of not posting here. The COC is clearly posted and people have the right to decide if it is a community they want to participate or if they want to go somewhere the rules are more lax.

People don't come here becuase they want to be further exposed to expressions of profanity. Many people already have enough exposure to that when they are in public and have no control over the actions of others.

As a society we should be striving to express ourselves in a more meaningful intellectual way, not resorting to the basest form of verbal expression. The great thing about boards like this one is that people have a chance to express their views on a wide variety of topics. Even though it is a Broncos sponsored board, we allow for a wide range of discussion. All we ask for is that people do it in a responsible manner to each other. Even in the smack section we still try to enforce the rules of the board.

Thats just my view on it

Exactly. So many boards of all varieties are real sticklers for non-topic threads or posts, or they are the complete opposite and unmoderated. We really allow a lot more than MOST NFL official team site BB's. I don't think its unfair to ask for some common courtesy in return for the privilege of having what essentially amounts ot a big private club, only online. We allow discussions on so many topics that we are like a meeting place for Broncos fans to discuss whatever. Some places don't allow that. So asking to use the commonly accepted rules of speech when in polite company isn't a whole lot to ask.

Johnny Law Man
02-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Exactly. So many boards of all varieties are real sticklers for non-topic threads or posts, or they are the complete opposite and unmoderated. We really allow a lot more than MOST NFL official team site BB's. I don't think its unfair to ask for some common courtesy in return for the privilege of having what essentially amounts ot a big private club, only online. We allow discussions on so many topics that we are like a meeting place for Broncos fans to discuss whatever. Some places don't allow that. So asking to use the commonly accepted rules of speech when in polite company isn't a whole lot to ask.

I think that you guys are doing a fine job of rule enforcement. I apologize as I am a bit of an "envlope pusher" and have a tendency to circumvent profanity regulations throuh creative jargon or analogies. I sincerely hope and formally request that if I overstep these boundaries that a moderator would send me a Private message to warn first. I have posted some rather tasteless items in the past and have noticed at least one post was removed. That in itself was a kind of warning as I am certain that it was intended to be as well. I was the class clown in school, hence I am no stranger to disciplinary action for failed, even successful attempts at comedy.
In my opinion the Moderators bear the burden of interperating what is unsuitable at the risk of conversation itself. I am also against censorship which is a strange stance for a registered Conservative. However, I fully understand the stipulations that are implemented by the site sponsors. I guess what I am stating is that you guys do a fine job of allowing us to speak as long as decency is not a casualty.

Snk16
02-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Rules are Rules.

JRWIZ
02-20-2005, 09:47 AM
I too have used some language that I grew up with on the streets of Commerce City. At the tme it was how we talked. My time in the Navy Submarine Service just added to the foul langauge repetiore, later in life while climbing the corporate ladder it did not serve me well, and caused some detours on that climb.

To this day when something happens in a fit of anger. While driving and some moron does something stupid or even when I do something stupid the street language pops out. Have had it happen at the Thanksgiving dinner table when knocking over a drink. Or even once at a girlfriends house just after the Navy when I asked them to pass the butter, needless to say I didn't see her anymore. Or when driving with family and get cut off.

TRUST ME THIS NOTHING you want your kids to hear to, validate that it is ok to do.

Want to say thanks to the Mods and the Broncos organization, that support this Board. For some of us stuck out in nowheresville it gives me the abililty to keep current on my Broncos.

Zmabe
02-21-2005, 10:34 AM
i know i have violated more rules than just cursing.... and i know these are the official boards of the Broncos, and we want to keep them civilized and such, but to ban someone or suspended someone for cursing is a bit too much, everyone now a days curses and if some people are offended by cursing they shouldnt be on the boards, i know you all may disagree, but this is my opinion....i think curse words are the most used words now a days lol :D

so what your sayin that anyone that doent like to hear or read curse words should not be able to view the boards? i curse too, but i try not to.

Dream
02-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Rules are rules; but if we're going to have a policy on swearing; atleast enforce it to the max; if you can't conduct yourself properly on an internet message board and atleast post with some maturity and decency; don't bother posting at all. There are numerous posters who constantly violate the Code of Conduct, especially that of pseudo-swearing and nothing is done about them. Sure, I think in one thread I said, but that's common language and it's nothing like replacing the "I" in the "B-Word" with a "Y" or anything like that. The sad thing is that usually nothing gets done to those who violate; I could care less how long they've been on the boards or how many posts they've made -- but if people can't act like adults they should just get out.

Jared
02-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Rules are rules; but if we're going to have a policy on swearing; atleast enforce it to the max; if you can't conduct yourself properly on an internet message board and atleast post with some maturity and decency; don't bother posting at all. There are numerous posters who constantly violate the Code of Conduct, especially that of pseudo-swearing and nothing is done about them. Sure, I think in one thread I said, but that's common language and it's nothing like replacing the "I" in the "B-Word" with a "Y" or anything like that. The sad thing is that usually nothing gets done to those who violate; I could care less how long they've been on the boards or how many posts they've made -- but if people can't act like adults they should just get out.

Our policy is that if it is heard on prime time televison, then its ok here.

SO, obviosuly, there are words that are bad here. And it also depends on context. Quoting something, like a movie ot TV show, and using the b-word, lets say (female dog), is ok. Getting into a flamewar and actually calling someone on the boards vulgar names is not ok.

Also, I edit every single word I can find that is intentionally misspelled to get around the filter. If I miss any, let me know.

JRWIZ
02-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Our policy is that if it is heard on prime time televison, then its ok here.

SO, obviosuly, there are words that are bad here. And it also depends on context. Quoting something, like a movie ot TV show, and using the b-word, lets say (female dog), is ok. Getting into a flamewar and actually calling someone on the boards vulgar names is not ok.

Also, I edit every single word I can find that is intentionally misspelled to get around the filter. If I miss any, let me know.

Thanks for your deligence, I have in the past tried the misspelling only because I thought it was acceptable because of the perponderance of it.

Now that I understand the rules will be enforced, I'll try to do better.

I do have a request the filter for DEE EYE sea kay, When used in a word like
*****erson is a bit much. I'm sure there are others, I'd like to see them removed and active warnings by the poplace, to take their place if someone gets mouthy. Push comes to shove a message to/from a moderator should do the trick.

Jared
02-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks for your deligence, I have in the past tried the misspelling only because I thought it was acceptable because of the perponderance of it.

Now that I understand the rules will be enforced, I'll try to do better.

I do have a request the filter for DEE EYE sea kay, When used in a word like
*****erson is a bit much. I'm sure there are others, I'd like to see them removed and active warnings by the poplace, to take their place if someone gets mouthy. Push comes to shove a message to/from a moderator should do the trick.

Yeah, that one's a bit weird. The program doesn't recognize if the letter combination is part of a larger word or not. I have no solution to that one.