PDA

View Full Version : Compare 4.2 to a 4.5 wut is it 3 tenths?

JoRo
02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Why is it that big a deal the difference between 4.3 an say any slower or faster? When they are taken the player isnt even in pads........... so why people make such a big deal outta 40 is beyond me

bleedbluorange
02-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Why is it that big a deal the difference between 4.3 an say any slower or faster? When they are taken the player isnt even in pads........... so why people make such a big deal outta 40 is beyond meI dont think the 40 always translates into football speed. However football is a game of inches and every little bit counts.

TXBRONC
02-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Why is it that big a deal the difference between 4.3 an say any slower or faster? When they are taken the player isnt even in pads........... so why people make such a big deal outta 40 is beyond me

It can be the difference in getting a step on your opponent.

JoRo
02-18-2005, 12:03 PM
It can be the difference in getting a step on your opponent.

But when that STEP means four rounds in the draft?

buchosiete
02-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Jerry Rice was always one step ahead of his opponents.

Its a game of inches....ask the Tennesse fans about inches!

ttejuco
02-18-2005, 12:59 PM
40 time is a general aproximation of how fast a player is. Dont forget there are also shuttle times, and acceleration drills. Some players play faster than their 40 time, some players dont. But generally when you see a player run a 4.15, i.e. Deion Sanders, it usually displays in their play. Although Jerry Rice didnt run a 4.3, but merely a 4.4-4.5, he had excellent body control, and never was that Randy Moss, TO breakaway speed type.

HaroldWoods41SS
02-18-2005, 01:11 PM
well i say alquan bolden runs a 4'7 tell me why he was rookie of the year 40 time means very little to me

Dream
02-18-2005, 02:34 PM

Speed is a huge issue in football; look at Bell; he runs a 4.37 and compare him to a guy like Jerome Bettis (who I appreciate greatly) but looks absolutely lathargic when he's running the ball.

Speed is especially important among people on the secondary so they don't get beat deep by the WR's.

40's can be over-rated but the speed of a player shouldn't be.