PDA

View Full Version : is there any DL worth getting in FA?

bronx_2003
02-20-2005, 04:34 PM
it seems to me that there were only 2 players of note on DL in FA - ABRAHAM and CORY SIMON and they have both been franchised.

the only 2 i would look at is marques douglas and rasheem brock.

FA seems a little weak this year. i would love to trade pryce and drougns for a few draft picks, or move up a little in round 1.

DENVER BRONCO56
02-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Pat Williams

Pat Williams (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4539)

bronx_2003
02-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Pat Williams

Pat Williams (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4539)

true, i forgot him.

PRBronco
02-20-2005, 04:42 PM
In the Off Season forum one of the guys has put together a big list of all the free agents, you can check the list there. Guys i like are seth payne, pat williams, and jason ferguson. I doubt we can take a run at any of them though.

Dean
02-20-2005, 04:45 PM
As it gets closer to time for free agent signings there will be more players offered as teams feel the cap getting tighter and tighter.

TXBRONC
02-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Articles that I have read suggest that Denver will not be a major player in free agency. The Broncos are expected to target second tier players to fill holes. That makes sense when you consider that we have several of our own guys that we want to resign plus our draft picks.

JRWIZ
02-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Articles that I have read suggest that Denver will not be a major player in free agency. The Broncos are expected to target second tier players to fill holes. That makes sense when you consider that we have several of our own guys that we want to resign plus our draft picks.

Mikey has been burnt on FA, So I beleive that we will be conservative also. Go after some folks that can help but own't break the bank.

urinal_cake
02-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Seth Payne for NT™

Dream
02-21-2005, 10:33 AM
TX; but I've also read articles where Sundquist and Bowlen have suggested that they're looking to pick up two starters in this Free Agency Period; I'm a little skeptical as well; and I'm guessing that after re-signing Hayward and Hamilton (I could really care less about most other players; but you know what I mean) that we won't have much money left to go after top tier players this Free Agency.

I think there are some good options out there; but no defensive lineman is worth picking up. Pat Williams is old balls, he'd work good in the 3-4 but I'm sure he'll demand a salary in which we probably can't afford.

dbdom
02-21-2005, 11:05 AM
TX; but I've also read articles where Sundquist and Bowlen have suggested that they're looking to pick up two starters in this Free Agency Period; I'm a little skeptical as well; and I'm guessing that after re-signing Hayward and Hamilton (I could really care less about most other players; but you know what I mean) that we won't have much money left to go after top tier players this Free Agency.

I think there are some good options out there; but no defensive lineman is worth picking up. Pat Williams is old balls, he'd work good in the 3-4 but I'm sure he'll demand a salary in which we probably can't afford.

yeh, they said picking up 2 starters but maybe on the cheap
there are some good ones, not excellent ones, though i heard courtney brown and gerrard warren may be traded because of their huge salaries and romeo crennel is putting in a 3-4 in cleveland but not that we want them

a realistic target in the FA would be chris hovan

Cugel
02-21-2005, 01:27 PM
yeh, they said picking up 2 starters but maybe on the cheap
there are some good ones, not excellent ones, though i heard courtney brown and gerrard warren may be traded because of their huge salaries and romeo crennel is putting in a 3-4 in cleveland but not that we want them

a realistic target in the FA would be chris hovan

WhOO-HOO! :coffee:

Let's see. The Broncos are losing Trevor Pryce and getting underachiever retreads like Gerrard Warren, Courtney Brown? Chris Hoven?

Why am I not impressed? This does not sound like an improvement to me.

The DL will be WORSE this year than last under this scenario or at best no better.

And lets' face it. DL SUCKING cost us any chance of winning the game in Indy. No pressure= all day for Manning to throw= 45pts = blowout defeat.

I was under the impression that the only reason Gerrard Warren was potentially being shopped was because he never lived up to his contract or draft position - due to injuries and just general sucking. In short, a bust. Am I wrong about that? Is there any reason to think any of those guys will really help?

;)

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-21-2005, 01:44 PM

Let's see. The Broncos are losing Trevor Pryce and getting underachiever retreads like Gerrard Warren, Courtney Brown? Chris Hoven?

The DL will be WORSE this year than last under this scenario or at best no better.

And lets' face it. DL SUCKING cost us any chance of winning the game in Indy. No pressure= all day for Manning to throw= 45pts = blowout defeat.

I was under the impression that the only reason Gerrard Warren was potentially being shopped was because he never lived up to his contract or draft position - due to injuries and just general sucking. In short, a bust. Am I wrong about that? Is there any reason to think any of those guys will really help?

;)

Pryce never lived up to his contract either.

Warren is a bust. Brown is a bust. Both will be too expensive if they are cut.

The fact that the D-line will be worse is why we are switching to the 3-4. It hides a defensive line's weakness and puts it all on the LBs. A much better scheme for our roster.

The likely losses of Heyward and Pryce are due more to the salary cap then anything else, blame that if you must vent.

With our cap restrictions, we would be looking at players like DeLoach at NT, Ioane at NT, probably your one big splash could be Douglas at DE for 3-4 million per season. (Essentially trading Pryce for Douglas, Douglas is more productive). There is not much out there in FA. The draft is going to be really important this year.

TXBRONC
02-21-2005, 02:00 PM

Finding a someone start doesn't mean they'll go after a high profile player, there hasn't been any indication that would suggest that.

dbdom
02-21-2005, 02:05 PM

;)

if you read what i said, i was only taking note that gerrard warren and courtney brown were being shopped around, merely giving news, then stating we wouldnt want them ... so i aint saying we should go out or sign them because that would be wrong on so many levels anyway

Peerless
02-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Trading Pryce could be good or bad.

1. He could of fully recoverd and become a monster on D
2. He couldnt recover and didnt play like he use to.

Its a tough decesion, it would look weird in another jersey besides Den.

Cugel
02-21-2005, 02:24 PM
if you read what i said, i was only taking note that gerrard warren and courtney brown were being shopped around, merely giving news, then stating we wouldnt want them ... so i aint saying we should go out or sign them because that would be wrong on so many levels anyway

I never claimed you advocated signing those guys. It's merely depressing that busts like Warren will probably get big $ because everybody needs DL. Teams pay $3-4 million and get what? Exactly.

atruebroncosfan
02-21-2005, 06:15 PM
isn't Chris Hovan a FA?

Snk16
02-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Kevin Carter is a good one also.

Conde
02-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Kevin Carter is a guy we can get since the Titans will be cutting him.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-21-2005, 06:51 PM

Why?

He's good for 45 tackles and 5-6 sacks in a 4-3. That's a tad worse then what a healthy Pryce gives you, and he's probably going to be above 5 million per year in what he'll ask for. He is also 31 years old, most D-linemen retire in the lower-mid 30s.

If he comes cheap, sure, sign him up. The only problem is he won't. It's between him and Okeafor for the 2nd best DE behind Heyward. I would rather pay Marquis Douglas 5 million per season then this old fossil.

Snk16
02-21-2005, 07:11 PM

I just said that.

bleedbluorange
02-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Why?

He's good for 45 tackles and 5-6 sacks in a 4-3. That's a tad worse then what a healthy Pryce gives you, and he's probably going to be above 5 million per year in what he'll ask for. He is also 31 years old, most D-linemen retire in the lower-mid 30s.

If he comes cheap, sure, sign him up. The only problem is he won't. It's between him and Okeafor for the 2nd best DE behind Heyward. I would rather pay Marquis Douglas 5 million per season then this old fossil.
I dont like Carter, but how do you conclude that he's worth 5 million? I cant see him getting that from anyone.

JRWIZ
02-22-2005, 10:56 AM
I dont like Carter, but how do you conclude that he's worth 5 million? I cant see him getting that from anyone.

I think he is saying that will be the going price for D-line this year as a FA. Not that he is worth it just the going price since D-line guys at at a premium. Supply and demand type of thing.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-22-2005, 12:05 PM
I think he is saying that will be the going price for D-line this year as a FA. Not that he is worth it just the going price since D-line guys at at a premium. Supply and demand type of thing.

Exactly.

Plus, in Carter's case, he was already making over 5 million per season before he was cut. It would just be staying the norm for him.