PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with those Titans?

Javalon
02-21-2005, 10:09 AM
You probably know that the Titans are way over the salary cap for '05 and will be cutting a bunch of big-name players.

But did you know that they recently restructured Steve McNair's contract by converting $6.735 million of his '05 base salary (was $7.5 million) into signing bonus? Added on top of his already existing bonuses, if McNair retires after this upcoming season he'll count almost $14 million in dead cap space for the Titans in 2006. That would be back-to-back years of major salary cap problems.

I'd sure like to know if the Titans' GM and contract people took any math courses back in college. :confused:

NJBRONCOSFAN
02-21-2005, 10:57 AM
You really do have to wonder how the team got themselves into a situation this bad.

Did they think they would trade some of these guys away before the present time arrived?

Who knows.

Javalon
02-21-2005, 11:10 AM
You really do have to wonder how the team got themselves into a situation this bad.

Did they think they would trade some of these guys away before the present time arrived?

Who knows.
I don't know but it sure seems like those in charge didn't have much foresight. It sure makes the Broncos' salary cap problems pale in comparison.

EddyMac87
02-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Why would they do this? They should have cut McNair in the first place before all that salary bonus restucturing things that i don't understand...Volek isn't much worse then McNair who is always hurt....

and correct me if i'm wrong...but now that all this money is in salary bonus for steve, dosn't he get it even when he gets hurt?...which he will...

urinal_cake
02-21-2005, 02:26 PM

Who knows.

They committed the ultimate sin in the NFL a few years ago & that load of backloaded contracts is catching up with them.™

Javalon
02-21-2005, 04:35 PM
They committed the ultimate sin in the NFL a few years ago & that load of backloaded contracts is catching up with them.™
And nary a Super Bowl victory to show for it, either.

All teams will backload deals now and then to squeeze under the cap in certain years. I just hope the Broncos haven't abused the privilege quite that bad. Most of our cap problems seem to have come from big-name mistakes like Griese and Gardener. We can only hope that we never get as bad as the Titans.

JoRo
02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
And nary a Super Bowl victory to show for it, either.

All teams will backload deals now and then to squeeze under the cap in certain years. I just hope the Broncos haven't abused the privilege quite that bad. Most of our cap problems seem to have come from big-name mistakes like Griese and Gardener. We can only hope that we never get as bad as the Titans.

They aint bad, they jus wanna go for 0-16 nex couple years :) might build theyre publicity, plus they figure if they completley waste out there whole team in about 5 years theyll be able to rebuild with no cap room gone at all, only that taken up by their billion rookies

Fat Joe
02-21-2005, 10:05 PM
The Titans are in the worst possible place for a team, square 1 of the rebuilding phase.

They'll probably see McNair retire after this year or before the season and then proceed to begin building around Volek. Too bad because the Titans have been a commonplace in the postseason the past few years.

Javalon
02-21-2005, 11:38 PM
The Titans are in the worst possible place for a team, square 1 of the rebuilding phase.

They'll probably see McNair retire after this year or before the season and then proceed to begin building around Volek. Too bad because the Titans have been a commonplace in the postseason the past few years.
Yeah, but if McNair does retire after this year, they're immediately slapped with about $14 million of deap cap space just from McNair alone. Considering they're guaranteed of having other dead cap space, that's a crappy way to start the rebuilding process. Man, if they field a competitive team, it'll be damned impressive.

Jared
02-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Yeah, but if McNair does retire after this year, they're immediately slapped with about $14 million of deap cap space just from McNair alone. Considering they're guaranteed of having other dead cap space, that's a crappy way to start the rebuilding process. Man, if they field a competitive team, it'll be damned impressive.

If they do any better than 6-10, Jeff Fisher should be coach of the year. They are going to be so young and bad next year.

urinal_cake
02-22-2005, 04:26 PM
I just hope the Broncos haven't abused the privilege quite that bad.

The Broncos do have a lot of backloaded contracts too. I'm thinking we could be in some serious cap hell by '08 or '09 IMO. Right around the time Shanahan leaves™