PDA

View Full Version : combine

mr williams52
02-21-2005, 05:21 PM
how much of a difference does someones combine performance rise or drop his stock.

for instance, if a guy like marcus spears, who is a sure 1st round pick as of now, had a very poor performance at the combine, could he drop to the 2nd round?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Easily......or secure his spot in the Top Five....I would have to say to drop to the Second round would be unlikely...I mean he would really have to tank his workouts....but if he were to do so, yes he could drop...

another guy like this is Antaj Hawthorne...he can secure his spot in the first round, or drop into the second...

Last year it was DT Randy Starks.....everyone here thought he was probably a first rounder, at the worst an early second, yet he fell down into the third....

so yes it does happen...

Well, I agree with everything you said, but Starks did not fall on draft day due to a poor combine, it was due to a prior transgression and character flaws.

I still do not understand how he fell to the top of the 3rd round, that's a great mystery to me. But at least he got the last laugh, as the Seahawks blew it by taking Tubbs over him. Starks had a solid rookie season, Tubbs was invisible.

bornbroncofan
02-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Could you imagine the pressure these guys are under at the combine. I'd go crazy.

dbdom
02-23-2005, 08:11 AM
coaches look more to tape than anything else, for first round potential guys, some of them are set, its just a case of whether they are top 10 or top 20 picks, and the combine can decide that, but for guys in the 2nd round, it is definitely their chance to make the jump to the 1st round if they give a good account of themselves in the combine, and the combine is definitely more important for the smaller school guys who must prove themselves because their school usually puts them down but a great combine performance can cause them to rise very quickly on most people's boards

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Yes, M Gan....it is also an illustration of the process....remember how Darnell Dockett from FSU dominated the Senior Bowl last year?.... How he was supposedly skyrocketing up everyone's charts?? Was he not talked about in the same general terms as say Matt Roth this year?....then on Draft Day, he fell to the the Third-Round...

That's what I mean about the NFL scouting reports....the real info is there....unfortunaltey there is also alot of mis-information, and information coming from bad sources...so you have to wade through the garbagio to get to the real stuff...IMO, Kiper is a remains sstill the best free-press source. Ourlads is not bad, but less so....I really miss Joel Bushbaum from PFW....before he died, he was excellent...

For instance....I read Scouts, Inc. and the Sporting News, and the (new) Pro Football Weekly....but I treat it as secondary info....because they have proven themselves to me to be a sub-standard source of Draft info....

Dockett fell for the exact same reason as Starks, he had off-the-field law run-ins. Teams seem scared to take a chance on a player that has made a mistake criminally, but not a player that has injury concerns. At least the Broncos don't care about injury concerns, though we should by now. I blame Lawrence Phillips, now every dominant player that has a questionable history falls two rounds.

I think 18 year old kids make mistakes, it wouldn't keep me from drafting them. However, a knee injury likely would.