PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else dreading our first round pick?

Javalon
02-21-2005, 09:53 PM
I think most us in this forum agree that our greatest need is on the defensive line. I am strongly of the opinion that, barring a huge run on defensive linemen before our pick, that we should draft the best defensive lineman available, tackle or pass-rushing end.

But I've definitely found in the past that management doesn't always agree with the common sentiment. Now, I'm almost dreading the approach of our first round pick and hearing us draft somebody who doesn't happen to be a D-lineman when there are still first round quality players available. Anybody else filled with a sense of foreboding? :ugh:

The Dark Knight
02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
I think most us in this forum agree that our greatest need is on the defensive line. I am strongly of the opinion that, barring a huge run on defensive linemen before our pick, that we should draft the best defensive lineman available, tackle or pass-rushing end.

But I've definitely found in the past that management doesn't always agree with the common sentiment. Now, I'm almost dreading the approach of our first round pick and hearing us draft somebody who doesn't happen to be a D-lineman when there are still first round quality players available. Anybody else filled with a sense of foreboding? :ugh:

I haven't done much draft analysis this year but I was under the impression that the 2nd round D-Lineman were just as good as the 1st round ones. If that's the case, then we should hold off and try to get more value out of that first round pick.

rcsodak
02-21-2005, 11:32 PM

Foreboding, hell.....I'm down right worried....... :goofy:

At least I don't see them pulling a J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets pick and having the entire place say "whahuhwho?"!

Javalon
02-21-2005, 11:34 PM
I haven't done much draft analysis this year but I was under the impression that the 2nd round D-Lineman were just as good as the 1st round ones. If that's the case, then we should hold off and try to get more value out of that first round pick.
Well, if the second rounders were as good as the first rounders, then they would be first rounders instead of second rounders. ;)

Javalon
02-21-2005, 11:35 PM

At least I don't see them pulling a J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets pick and having the entire place say "whahuhwho?"!
Man, I hope not. I just want a quality defensive lineman. If it's a "who dat?" player, he'd better freaking pan out. I want to go into the season with at least the hope that we addressed our most pressing need.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, if the second rounders were as good as the first rounders, then they would be first rounders instead of second rounders. ;)

Now now, don't use logic on this forum, that's just going to confuse everyone and have them disagree with you every time you post.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-21-2005, 11:53 PM
I think the front office has it together this year. I really don't think they can blow this draft, especially the first 2 selections.

Worst case, I see us drafting someone like WR Clayton or OT Khalif Barnes in the first round. And either of those players would at least be useful.

Average scenario, we take a DE/OLB type like Ware or Roth.

Best case we get a solid 3-4 DE type (4-3 DE/DT type) such as Hawthorne or Cody.

As for pick 2, you've got a lot of flexibility based on what you didn't take with pick 1. This is one draft that I am not even remotely worried about.

The Dark Knight
02-21-2005, 11:57 PM

Come on, you know what I mean.

If you can get a 89 rated d-lineman in the first and a 86 rated in the second wouldn't it be better to hold off so you can get that 88 rated receiver in the first and the 86 d-lineman?

Otherwise you'd get a 89 rated D-lineman in the first and a 77 rated receiver in the second.

But then again, I'm not certain of this class. I just remeber hearing that the D-lineman in the second round were not that far off from the first round ones.

JoRo
02-22-2005, 05:25 AM

I still donno if we should get dline firs round..............de maybe, but a dt in firs round is 50 50 mos the time.........

Dream
02-22-2005, 06:38 AM
I think the front office has it together this year. I really don't think they can blow this draft, especially the first 2 selections.

Worst case, I see us drafting someone like WR Clayton or OT Khalif Barnes in the first round. And either of those players would at least be useful.

Average scenario, we take a DE/OLB type like Ware or Roth.

Best case we get a solid 3-4 DE type (4-3 DE/DT type) such as Hawthorne or Cody.

As for pick 2, you've got a lot of flexibility based on what you didn't take with pick 1. This is one draft that I am not even remotely worried about.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

bleedbluorange
02-22-2005, 09:07 AM

But I've definitely found in the past that management doesn't always agree with the common sentiment. Now, I'm almost dreading the approach of our first round pick and hearing us draft somebody who doesn't happen to be a D-lineman when there are still first round quality players available. Anybody else filled with a sense of foreboding? :ugh:I agree that no one knows what our front office will do. I just hope that if we cant get a d-lineman in the first round, we trade out and stockpile picks

NJBRONCOSFAN
02-22-2005, 10:29 AM

But the Jets have had some great first round picks over the years...certainly more than we have.

John Abraham
Sean Ellis
Jonathan Vilma
Dewayne Robertson
Chad Pennington

Javalon
02-22-2005, 11:22 AM
But the Jets have had some great first round picks over the years...certainly more than we have.

John Abraham
Sean Ellis
Jonathan Vilma
Dewayne Robertson
Chad Pennington
Well, most of those picks were higher than ours so they should be better, logically speaking. Hell, in 2000 the Jets had FOUR first round picks (two of which where higher than ours) and the sheer odds of success were heavily in their favor.

Anyway, we've had 2 (or 3 depending on how you view Lelie) good first rounders in a row. Let's hope that trend continues. As long as they don't draft a cornerback, we'll be good. :D

JRWIZ
02-22-2005, 12:15 PM

Whenever Mikey goes into DAFT mode I get worried.

While DJ turned out to be a good pick last year, the consenses last year was RB in the first.

I trully believe that the Broncos will draft BAP regardless need.

NJBRONCOSFAN
02-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Well, most of those picks were higher than ours so they should be better, logically speaking. Hell, in 2000 the Jets had FOUR first round picks (two of which where higher than ours) and the sheer odds of success were heavily in their favor.

Anyway, we've had 2 (or 3 depending on how you view Lelie) good first rounders in a row. Let's hope that trend continues. As long as they don't draft a cornerback, we'll be good. :D
Fair enough, but at the same time, that doesn't justify saying 'i hope we don't pick like the Jet's' because frankly, they've had success picking over the last 5 years, regardless of position.

Javalon
02-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Fair enough, but at the same time, that doesn't justify saying 'i hope we don't pick like the Jet's' because frankly, they've had success picking over the last 5 years, regardless of position.
Gotcha. But in all fairness, I believe RC was referring to a little further back when the Jets had a reputation for picking guys in the first round that weren't on the radar. You're quite right that they've been much better in recent years.

Javalon
02-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Whenever Mikey goes into DAFT mode I get worried.

While DJ turned out to be a good pick last year, the consenses last year was RB in the first.

I trully believe that the Broncos will draft BAP regardless need.
Actually, it wasn't quite a consensus. There were quite a few of us that thought Shanny should stick with his modus operandi of picking up good running back prospects in the later rounds.

Personally, I remember thinking I wouldn't be upset if we picked up Steven Jackson with our first pick but I was really pulling for a defensive lineman. I was surprised at us picking up a linebacker but, then again, only the Broncos' staff knew that talks with Gold had fallen through so we had a definite void at the position. In retrospect, things worked out pretty well. Although I'm still puzzled that we didn't get a defensive lineman in the entire draft last year. :confused:

Javalon
02-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Mikey is in charge and has it all under control...not to worry :D
:laugh: While I'm obviously not as down on Shanny's drafting as you are, that doesn't mean I'm entirely comfortable with it, either. If nothing else, he sure makes the draft a lot more exciting that it might otherwise be.