PDA

View Full Version : marcellus wiley

mr williams52
02-22-2005, 04:11 PM
the cowboys just released marcellus wiley... do you think he is a option for us?

Javalon
02-22-2005, 04:17 PM
I think he was a disappointment in Dallas. If we could sign him to the veteran's minimum with no signing bonus, it would be worth bringing him to training camp. However, I'm assuming he'll at least draw some interest and get a bit more money in which case we should pass.

Astros05
02-22-2005, 07:47 PM
I think he would be an option and He just didn't have a good year look at the cowboys their whole team just about fell apart. My opinion is you play better when your surrounded by a great team!!!! :coffee:

Astros05
02-22-2005, 07:54 PM
I think he was a disappointment in Dallas. If we could sign him to the veteran's minimum with no signing bonus, it would be worth bringing him to training camp. However, I'm assuming he'll at least draw some interest and get a bit more money in which case we should pass.

Also, he didn't get that much playing time which didn't increase his chances for success.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/home.cfm?screensize=small

Dub-DeuceKnight
02-22-2005, 08:18 PM
he was a beast on a poor SD team, I think the Dallas Football atmosphere really got to him and lead to his poor play

OhNoKoolAid
02-22-2005, 08:23 PM
It would be a sad day in Dove Valley if any precious free agent money went to an over the hill player who obviously has lost his first (and second) step. At best he would be another Marco Coleman, and why would anyone need two Coleman's, that is if he returns. Living in Cowboy Country, and watching them every Sunday, this would be a monumental mistake.

Dub-DeuceKnight
02-22-2005, 08:28 PM
he's played for 8 years, he probably has two or three years, He was absolutely miserable in Dallas, I remember hearing some of his interviews about how he hated it, how if he knew what he was getting into he never would have signed in the first place.

Astros05
02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
He's alot better than Marco Coleman!!!! :duh: :confused: :goofy:

PRBronco
02-22-2005, 08:48 PM
God no! Wiley sucks now, sure he was ok in SD for a few years, but he's miserable and bad. Not even worth the money they'd spent to meet with him. Jesus, no more veteran D linemen! Broncos management should be ashamed of themselves for letting our line get this way, and how many flops will it take before they realize that you can't just sign guys that had one good season 5 years ago and call it "an improved pass rush"?

*edit* Ok, "no more veteran D linemen" sounds dumb, but you know what i mean, no more washed up free agents.

OhNoKoolAid
02-22-2005, 08:54 PM
He's alot better than Marco Coleman!!!! :duh: :confused: :goofy:

Coleman had 28 tackles and 2.5 sacks as a partial starter, wave player. Wiley had 38 and 3 mostly as a starter, and spot duty late. If ten tackles and half a sack is A LOT better, then yes, you are right.

Both have had their days as top teir defensive ends, but both are nearing the end, and yes Wiley is a lot closer to the end than you think. He is not needed on a team that already has enough aging veteran defensive ends.

rcsodak
02-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Good grief......

...and to think!

Free agency hasn't even started yet!!!!! :ugh:

ttejuco
02-23-2005, 12:31 AM
The Broncos dont need another Raylee Johnson.

dbdom
02-23-2005, 08:05 AM
he would be reasonable on vet's minimum, but otherwise no
but to be fair to him, he has told that he would be the pass rushing guy in dallas, except he got pulled on 3rd downs, the chance for the DE's to really go hard after the QB, maybe that had something to do with his stats, but i dont see us making a run for him at all

Javalon
02-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Everything is relative....

Shanahan has just completed the basic de-constuction of the D-line...

Reggie Hayward, Ellis Johnson and Trevor pryce are as good as gone...

You mean to tell me Marcellus Wiley is a bad option compared to what you have left?

Wiley can now be signed at a reasonable contract.....

Look, not all players can play for Bill Parcells....I would not hold that against Wiley....in general he is a good player and a good character guy.....

I think this guy probably has three or four years left in the right situtation...

This is the type of guy the Patriots routinely identify, sign and get productive seasons out of...he sure as hell is a better option than Raylee Johnson or Marco Coleman...or Dorsett Davis for that matter...
You might be right about him. But you might me wrong. He's a risk. Like I said, if we can get him very cheap I'd be happy to have him come to camp. But I think it would be a mistake to sink much money into him. Maybe a heavily incentive laden contract would work.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Well, Jav, that's what you have scouts and GM's for....they have to make this decision....he surely will be cheaper than Reggie Hayward or Trevor Pryce....with two relatively failed FA signing with the Chargers and the Cowboys, he has no leverage....I think he does play hard....I don't think he dogs it and is lazy...some guys just need the right fit...he is twenty-nine....

This is what you pay your scouts for....to finsd these types of FA's that you can reasonably sign and get producton out of....Wiley has been fond of the Broncos in the past....he is a legit starter as a 4-3 LDE, which would allow you to bag T Pryce and still gain a salary-cap improvement, and at this point, I think Wiley could be capable of playing at a level comparable to Pryce....and it could also help the Broncos abort this ridiculous idea of going to the 3-4 :D

This kid has some ability....he is a legit starter, and I think he is the type of guy looking for a place to call home now....he has been on the move for two offseasons now....you could probably sign him to a reasonable three or four year deal...and I would suggest you could do worse...like stick with Dorsett Davis, which is the current Modus Operandi...
Again, to me it's a matter of money. If he's cheap enough, I think it's a good idea. I just don't want desperation to cause the Broncos to overpay for a risky proposition. Images of Daryl Gardener are floating through my head. :goofy:

DenverFan07
02-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Or he could be the next Neil Smith in the waiting for this team... If he comes cheap I say take him. He almost came here last year after the Chargers released him if i remember the rumors right.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Well, nobody signs ANY player with a money-back guarantee....
No, but as long as the signing bonus is minimal, we can always cut him if he isn't playing up to hopes/expectations and recoup the base salary in the contract. So, it's almost a money back guarantee.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 01:14 PM
To a degree, though, you get what you pay for...if you want a cheap D-line, you have players like Dorsett Davis playing on them...

The reality is, though, the performance you get might be equally cheap...
True. But what I've seen of Wiley lately seems like he should be cheap. And if he isn't, I don't think he's worth the risk.

But I don't have the extensive footage to study and make that determination. My opinion is entirely of the layman variety.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I am just comparing him to your other alternatives, which currently seem to be:

a) Go with Dorsett Davis, and make an ill-advised move to a 3-4 D.... B) Go with a rookie....or C) another Free Agent....I have not identified a player that makes more FA sense than Wiley at this point....certainly not one in the same price-range...

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I want to say that Wiley signed with Dallas for a 3 mil signing bonus....I think you could sign Wiley for say a four year, incentive laden contract....you then know you have a legit starting LDE, and you can bag T Pryce and his contract and at least know you have a reasonable replacement...
Oh yeah, we have limited options. I just don't want desperation to lead to rash decisions. If he wants to go for incentives based on playing time, they shouldn't be difficult to reach if he's any good thanks to our thinness on the line. That would allow him the chance to earn more money without the Broncos taking too big of a risk. The questions become will he get better offers and are the Broncos even interested?

As for Pryce, I'm afraid he's as good as gone, no matter who we do or don't sign in the meantime. It doesn't even sound like the door is slightly ajar for his return.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 02:02 PM
No, his relatrionship with Shanny was irreperably damaged when Shanny called him out in the local press during the 2003 season...
That may or may not be true. But I was referring to the fact that the Broncos don't seem to be considering just keeping him under his current salary, difficult but possible, or attempting to restructure his contract. It's the Broncos who seem to have shut the door.