PDA

View Full Version : Trading your 1st round pick

NZrichy
02-23-2005, 05:40 AM
Denver is picking about 25th in the draft right? Historically #1 picks are very valuable and not many teams trade them away but in all reality you donít know what your getting in the draft, probably 70% of 1st round picks pan out, which is a high percentage; BUT if you could trade your 1st round pick for a player who has produced year in year out and has a good 3 Ė 7 years left, would that be a good move?

Could we package our 1st round pick with Pryce OR Droughns and use that to pick up a quality starter on the D line and possibly a 2nd or 3rd round pick thrown in?

How would you all feel if we were to do that?

We busted our ba**s to get Bailey but he will continue to be not as effective as hoped because we can not generate a pass rush, Pryce will be gone so we need to replace him with a LE, Hayward will hopefully sign so if we need to get another end then concentrate on DT in FA.

I doubt there will be someone available when we pick 25th that can come in this season and contribute right away and help Denver get to the next level.

Lets use that pick to get immediate help.

Thoughts?

dbdom
02-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Denver is picking about 25th in the draft right? Historically #1 picks are very valuable and not many teams trade them away but in all reality you donít know what your getting in the draft, probably 70% of 1st round picks pan out, which is a high percentage; BUT if you could trade your 1st round pick for a player who has produced year in year out and has a good 3 Ė 7 years left, would that be a good move?

Could we package our 1st round pick with Pryce OR Droughns and use that to pick up a quality starter on the D line and possibly a 2nd or 3rd round pick thrown in?

How would you all feel if we were to do that?

We busted our ba**s to get Bailey but he will continue to be not as effective as hoped because we can not generate a pass rush, Pryce will be gone so we need to replace him with a LE, Hayward will hopefully sign so if we need to get another end then concentrate on DT in FA.

I doubt there will be someone available when we pick 25th that can come in this season and contribute right away and help Denver get to the next level.

Lets use that pick to get immediate help.

Thoughts?

there is a high probability that a good DE or a DT will fall to us (shaun cody, mike patterson, etc i could go on) because there a huge need for the other teams to pick DL, there are quite a few round 1 prospects for the DL, so whatever happens we would get someone for our line, and trading our pick away would do nothing other than add a veteran's salary onto our cap

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-23-2005, 09:22 AM
I would trade Pryce and the #1 pick to the Jets for Abraham.

jmjk
02-23-2005, 09:34 AM

In another area, I saw that Shanny had a glare in his eyes just like last year before the trade. Alot of people want Moss, But I would be willing to give Pryce and our first for Abraham and a first day and some second day picks. That would be the best senerio except for a top OL player somewhere like from ARZ. I like Abraham and with two rushers on the outside and a quality NT, our LB could could reek havok. Yea baby. :D

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-23-2005, 09:37 AM
M Gan, I would not be suprised if Abraham is on his way to the Raiders in a deal that includes Charles Woodson...

I still tink the Broncos should have4 traded thier No. 1 for Ogungulye (sp?)....he certainly would have been a better deal than what you could probably draft now....and his contract was not the killer deal you would have expected...

Ogunleye got a 6 year 33 million, 15 million signing bonus deal. That qualifies as massive to me. On top of trading the high pick we would have had to do.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=1866081

Woodson/Abraham deal would be interesting. Though, the Raiders would have to offer more such as a top pick.

jmjk
02-23-2005, 09:51 AM
You are mistaken.....that so-called "glare in his eyes" that Adam Schefter reported about before last years Portis/Bailey trade and supposedly what he has now is all BS.....he is ajust crossed-eyed, that's all....

What trade could youi possibly make that:

a) Did not include bailey, as he is really your only elite player....
b) You pick 25th, so your first round draft choice is not desireable to anyone...
c) Think about it...let's say you covet Randy Moss....what could you offer that the Raiders could not trump?? You offer a deal that includes Bailey and your first rounder.....they just offer up their seventh pick and Charles Woodson.....

here iwll be no blockbuster trades this offseason, Bronco fan, because your team does not have the ammo to compete...

Ask yourself....if you are te Vikings, or the Jets.....what do the Broncos have that you want to give up Abraham or Moss that you could not do better than in trading with another team??

You do have a point on some issues Razor.

1. I don't want Moss and I don't think he will be avail.
2. Other teams have better 1st rounders to offer.
3. Other than Pryce, no players will be on the blocks. I disagree that Bailey is the only elite player the Broncs have.
4. Somethink might happen with Pryce and with a package might include more than you think. DEs are overpaid.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Why would anyone want to trade for a DE with back problems and take on his huge salary?

If you are a GM that might think about Pryce, you just let the Broncos eat his salary and force them to cut him after June 1st, thereby guaranteeing yet ANOTHER season with a HUGE hit to your salary cap in dead money in 2006...

What the hell, you have started a personal trend with this BINGE and PURGE statedgy you seem to have adopted, you might as well keep on going, right? :D
It's not quite as dire as all that.

Any team trading for Pryce would obvioulsy require a physical before completing the deal. Pryce has a really good rep when healthy and there will be teams willing to take a chance if he passes the physical and if they can handle his base salary or restructure it. Another team could more easiliy convert part of his base salary into signing bonus, thereby reducing his cap hit, because they wouldn't be dealing with the bonus the Broncos have on their books.

And if we cut Pryce after June 1st, we'll take a cap hit of about $3 million both this season and next. Annoying, yes, but not catastrophic. That would still reduce this year's cap figure by about $6 million. The only problem there is getting nothing of value, draft picks or players, in return for losing Pryce.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-23-2005, 02:59 PM
It's not quite as dire as all that.

Any team trading for Pryce would obvioulsy require a physical before completing the deal. Pryce has a really good rep when healthy and there will be teams willing to take a chance if he passes the physical and if they can handle his base salary or restructure it. Another team could more easiliy convert part of his base salary into signing bonus, thereby reducing his cap hit, because they wouldn't be dealing with the bonus the Broncos have on their books.

And if we cut Pryce after June 1st, we'll take a cap hit of about $3 million both this season and next. Annoying, yes, but not catastrophic. That would still reduce this year's cap figure by about $6 million. The only problem there is getting nothing of value, draft picks or players, in return for losing Pryce.

See Jav, I see that 6 million in savings, and I can turn that right around and sign a solid starter like Marquise Douglas. So, in my mind, cutting Pryce is essentially a trade straight up for Douglas, which I would do. Douglas has outperformed him.

Astros05
02-23-2005, 08:32 PM

I would make that trade in a heartbeat!!!!! :beer:

NZrichy
02-24-2005, 03:51 AM
If anyone thinks I was implying we would get someone like Abraham you are mistaken.

I was thinking a young solid player who has been in the league a few years and offers an upgrade over an untested rookie AND a 30 year old who has had surgery.

Not a Pro Bowl type player.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-24-2005, 04:08 AM
If anyone thinks I was implying we would get someone like Abraham you are mistaken.

I was thinking a young solid player who has been in the league a few years and offers an upgrade over an untested rookie AND a 30 year old who has had surgery.

Not a Pro Bowl type player.

Why not?

The Raiders and Vikings have agreed to a deal for a #1 and Napolean Harris for Randy Moss, who is a Pro Bowl player.

Granted the Raiders had the 7th overall pick to shop, but Harris is not as well respected as a healthy Pryce.

Abraham is not the calibur of player Moss is, he's injured a majority of the time as well. So, the 25th overall pick plus Pryce should be able to fetch a Pro Bowl player IMO.

dbdom
02-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Why not?

The Raiders and Vikings have agreed to a deal for a #1 and Napolean Harris for Randy Moss, who is a Pro Bowl player.

Granted the Raiders had the 7th overall pick to shop, but Harris is not as well respected as a healthy Pryce.

Abraham is not the calibur of player Moss is, he's injured a majority of the time as well. So, the 25th overall pick plus Pryce should be able to fetch a Pro Bowl player IMO.

true, only that minneasota wanted rid of moss, jets REALLY want to keep abraham

NZrichy
02-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Why not?

You could be right there.

I just dont see any of the guys coming out this year being like Suggs and getting 10 sacks their 1st year.

Dub-DeuceKnight
02-24-2005, 08:06 PM
I just hope we can trade Pryce, I really don't want to cut him, I would rather keep him than cut him.
Has Pryce been asked to take a paycut, he is the kind of guy I would expect to do that.