PDA

View Full Version : Ian Gold

mikemustgo
02-23-2005, 06:48 AM
There has been alot of talk out of TB that Ian Gold would be one of the cuts coming up!! what do you guys think the chances are he might come home??? If they could get his speed back and possibly get Bell from pittsburg, the 3-4 would seem very very effective.

dbdom
02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
There has been alot of talk out of TB that Ian Gold would be one of the cuts coming up!! what do you guys think the chances are he might come home??? If they could get his speed back and possibly get Bell from pittsburg, the 3-4 would seem very very effective.

effective as in we would have no DL? hmm
we aint going 3-4 as base D, we dont have the money to sign gold and bell, we dont need another MLB since 4-3 is our base D and when we go 3-4 in situation, the coaches probably want to give terry pierce a chance to play the other MLB spot, we wont sign any MLB, probably not any OLB since with DJ holding one spot, the other spot is up for competition between donnie spragan and jashon sykes, we got other holes we need to fill then our already strong LB core

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Gold is going to get 5 million a year. We can't pull that off.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Who pays Ian Gold 5 mil is an idiot and deserves what they get :duh:

I mean really, I know he went to one pro Bowl, but that was not as a LB, but as a special teams player....

I really don't know why people love this guy so much, he is a slightly better-than-average NFL talent at his position...and that's all...

Aww damn. I'd actually pay him that to play the weakside. Besides being a pro bowl special teams player, the only full season he's had at the weakside he had 100 tackles and 6.5 sacks. He's also absolutely tremendous in pass protection. He could be a safety easily ala Boulware.

jmjk
02-23-2005, 09:41 AM
If Gold would come back at a decent salary, I would welcome him. Our team would welcome him too. We would have more than enough LB and backup to go to a 3-4. Then with the DL worked on, this would be a top five defense easily and we would have the points against and turnovers to show the league the must fear us. :coffee:

ttejuco
02-23-2005, 10:46 AM
When the Broncos had 3 healthy linebackers, it was one of the most formidable trios in the league. John Mobley, Al Wilson and Ian gold were some of the fastest linebackers in the league. When Mobley and Gold went down in injuries, it was really a sad day. I wouldnt mind seeing Gold in a Broncos uniform again, because that guy was a ball hawk and is so fast.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Gold did play very well for us when he was here. I liked the guy and I was sad to see him go. But here are a few problems I see with Gold coming back:

1) I didn't watch a ton of Buccaneer games but I'm still wondering if he's fully as athletic as he was before his injury. His stats were definitely down, although not bad. I know he didn't seem overly impressive when we played the Bucs last year. It's a question mark; yes he's healed but is he the same player we was before?

2) He still has the Postons as his agents. They will still be asking for (demanding) more than Gold is worth. If by some weird chance we got Gold for a low contract, you can almost guarantee that the Postons would convince Gold to hold out if he had a good season.

3) While he didn't make a huge fuss, Gold probably wasn't happy with the Broncos when he left. Pride could keep Gold from coming back to the team that didn't think he was worth what he and and his agents were demanding.

4) He's not a defensive lineman. If we're tight under the salary cap, he'll probably cost more than we can afford to pay for a position which is already one of the strongest areas on the team. We need to funnel our free cap dollars into weaker areas.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 01:00 PM
you have to unearth some gems on your own, or your scouting staff is not doing their job...
Come on, Razor. Walls, Herndon, Lepsis, Carswell, and Sykes (who I still have hopes for getting back to '03 level) were all rookie free agents. Then there are always guys that didn't do much for their previous teams that the Broncos brought along like Droughns, Fatafehi, Ferguson, Hape (more usefull than his stas imply), Spragan, etc. And late round picks have contributed when they're about as developmental as the rookie free agents. You just never want to give the Broncos staff any credit, do you? :)

DPg2003
02-23-2005, 01:49 PM
and if you were to stay in a 4-3, I would take a long look at Louis Green, already on your roster....this kid flashed constantly last training camp, and I could not believe he did not make the active roster, but held on to a practice squad position and eventually was promoted...he is probably the second fastest LB on the team after DJ

Green may be fast, but I think he needs to bulk up to really contribute at LB. He is 6'3" and he only weighs about 225. There are some S's that size. I know Gold is about the same size, but most standout OLB are in the 240 range. I liked the kid on Special Teams though and he is the main reason Jashon Sykes could never break the active roster.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 02:12 PM
I was making a generalized statement....no, I agree, in fact it is obvious that the Broncos scouting staff has made some discoveries, and why Shanahan himself IS the problem....the scouting staff identified the undrafted players like Lenny Walls, Jashon Sykes (although he is a medical anomoly as he was originally projected as a third-round pick, and only his neck injury dropped him out of the Draft itself),
and Roc Alexander, etc.....also signing Fatafehi and Darius Holland right before the start of camp in 2003 were good moves....

I was just saying that ALL teams have to find those proverbial 'needles in the haystack', and that Louis Green could be one, that's all...
Gotcha. Although I have a feeling Shanahan uses his scouting department when assessing players, be it for a first round selection or a rookie free agent. If a player goes wrong, you blame Shanahan. If a player goes right, you credit the scouting staff. It just seems like a bit of a double standard.

Anyway, I'll have to pay more attention to Green this training camp.

Peerless
02-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Id take gold in a heartbeat. Just not to a big salary... he is very good tho..

JoRo
02-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Gold did play very well for us when he was here. I liked the guy and I was sad to see him go. But here are a few problems I see with Gold coming back:

1) I didn't watch a ton of Buccaneer games but I'm still wondering if he's fully as athletic as he was before his injury. His stats were definitely down, although not bad. I know he didn't seem overly impressive when we played the Bucs last year. It's a question mark; yes he's healed but is he the same player we was before?

2) He still has the Postons as his agents. They will still be asking for (demanding) more than Gold is worth. If by some weird chance we got Gold for a low contract, you can almost guarantee that the Postons would convince Gold to hold out if he had a good season.

3) While he didn't make a huge fuss, Gold probably wasn't happy with the Broncos when he left. Pride could keep Gold from coming back to the team that didn't think he was worth what he and and his agents were demanding.

4) He's not a defensive lineman. If we're tight under the salary cap, he'll probably cost more than we can afford to pay for a position which is already one of the strongest areas on the team. We need to funnel our free cap dollars into weaker areas.

The bucs ended up signing him for less than we offered