PDA

View Full Version : Math.....?

JoRo
02-23-2005, 05:33 PM
I was just wondering, after djs big year..........do you still wish we woulda got Wilfork?

Peerless
02-23-2005, 05:56 PM
I was just wondering, after djs big year..........do you still wish we woulda got Wilfork?

No, because when we lost Mobley and Gold, we were in need for a playmaker, and Dj is, so im happy with the pick.

JoRo
02-23-2005, 06:12 PM
No, because when we lost Mobley and Gold, we were in need for a playmaker, and Dj is, so im happy with the pick.

Math? wuts ur opinion on this? I remember readin after las years draft that we screwed up our firs and second picks

Javalon
02-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Math? wuts ur opinion on this? I remember readin after las years draft that we screwed up our firs and second picks
I'm pretty sure he has said still would prefer Wilfork because he feels linebackers are easier to find. While that's true, I'm not conviced that Wilfork would have contributed as much to our defensive success as D.J.

Personally, I was definitely wanting us to draft a defensive lineman. But, in retrospect, there's no way I regret picking up D.J. (That's assuming he keeps playing at a high level, of course.)

Astros05
02-23-2005, 09:01 PM
No, way DJ is the Man!!! GO DJ :beer:

Tony
02-23-2005, 10:21 PM
We could've drafted starks with one of our 2 rounders. But those titans beat us to the punch. :coffee:

DPg2003
02-23-2005, 10:33 PM
We could've drafted starks with one of our 2 rounders. But those titans beat us to the punch. :coffee:

Yea, but we still got D Watts and T-Bell in Round 2. Can't be too mad at that.

We have burned countless draft picks on D-Linemen in the past and only 4 are still on the roster(and TP and Reggie Hayward are on their way out). Hopefully Pope continues to play solid and Dorsett Davis will finally earn his keep, but I hope we spend the 1st 2 Rounds of this year's Draft on D-Linemen.

PRBronco
02-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Hate to say it, but yeah, i think we should have gotten wilfork. S***, i think we should have gotten a lineman in the second too, instead of watts, god, what a reach. But hindsight is always 20-20.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-23-2005, 11:43 PM
I stand by this thread I made 6 months ago.

http://216.58.161.130/forums/showthread.php?t=17903

Now, I don't want to get started again on this debate as it still annoys me to no end. This draft has several LBs that are as highly regarded as Williams and absolutely zero DTs that are as highly regarded as Wilfork was.

Which was exactly what I said would happen after last draft.

Our season was a failure due specifically to our D-line play and lack of pass rush and run stopping ability.

Just as I said it would be in this thread, 1 year ago...

http://216.58.161.130/forums/showthread.php?t=9924

So, I believe we completely blew the first round pick. Even with switching to a 3-4, which makes Williams more attractive as a choice, Wilfork would have been more important as our NT for this coming season. Is Williams a great LB? absolutely. Is he a future star? Certainly. Was it a horrible horrible decision to draft him instead of Wilfork? Yes. Hell, I'd take Randy Starks still over Williams.
Just because LBs are so damn easy and plentiful to find. Just look at this draft's LBs v. DTs in the first round. The ratio is arguably 5 - 2. And it doesnt get any better in the second for DTs. Look at Free Agency. Lots of LBs available, not many D-line players at all, let alone DTs.

I think it's ok for people to start admitting I was right. You can still support DJ Williams and call him a great player, but it's time to admit that with Wilfork on the board, he was a VERY bad choice.

Javalon
02-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Now, I don't want to get started again on this debate
I don't know, Mat'hir. Sure sounds like you want to get started again. :laugh:

JoRo
02-24-2005, 05:30 AM
As much as I love Dj already, after looking at this offseason. I think I would agree with you. I mean if you think about it, both Sykes and Spragan were starting and playing just fine the year before, but our D-line was useless, so lets improve our LB's? This was probably a gift for coyer, yay lets get a faster LB that you love so much, but now againd were at square one for Dline, we may possibly have 3 different holes as of now on DL. :ugh: Are we in trouble?

TXBRONC
02-24-2005, 08:08 AM
As much as I love Dj already, after looking at this offseason. I think I would agree with you. I mean if you think about it, both Sykes and Spragan were starting and playing just fine the year before, but our D-line was useless, so lets improve our LB's? This was probably a gift for coyer, yay lets get a faster LB that you love so much, but now againd were at square one for Dline, we may possibly have 3 different holes as of now on DL. :ugh: Are we in trouble?

Sykes didn't play all season, yes he played well the year before, but losing Gold and the fact the DT that Shanahan wanted was gone DJ was the right pick.

BIGD2oo4
02-24-2005, 05:24 PM
.....as much as i LOVE D.J.....

...HE IS A GREAT PLAYER!....

....i must admit ,reading a post earlier in the season,i watched Wilfork(aside,my bro is a patsie fan).

...HE IS A BEAST!
with him on the board,given the choice....again... :confused:.. :duh:

JoRo
02-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Sykes didn't play all season, yes he played well the year before, but losing Gold and the fact the DT that Shanahan wanted was gone DJ was the right pick.

Wut dt is that? seeing how your shanahan and all and know all.........like the eye in middle earth........

Also: of course sykes dint las season, we drafted dj......... :duh: wut are ut hinkin?