PDA

View Full Version : A draft thing thats rather interesting......

JoRo
02-24-2005, 07:04 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8219306/1

Its about the stock of some draft picks, i thot it was a good read........ if that comes true (which i doubt but still) could be good news for us :P

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-24-2005, 07:29 PM
I knew it. I'm tellin ya, Mike Patterson is going to be shooting up the draftboards at DT/NT. I've adopted him as my guy this year, just like Wilfork was my guy last year. Best DT in this draft.

PRBronco
02-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Dang MUG, that's bold! I hope you're right, if just to throw it in razor's face!

dbdom
02-25-2005, 03:58 AM
I knew it. I'm tellin ya, Mike Patterson is going to be shooting up the draftboards at DT/NT. I've adopted him as my guy this year, just like Wilfork was my guy last year. Best DT in this draft.

mike patterson is a really good player, the only down side to him was that he was 5'11 but he definitely holds his own in the middle, not too sure about being a NT but its a really good DT, was it him who had the nickname mini-sapp?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Do more research Razor, I'll help...

http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/patterson_mike00.html

Things to look at:

1) He's been a dominant NT.
2) He has a wrestling background.
3) USC D-line coach "If I could create a NT, it would be Patterson".

Your strength measurements will be coming this week at the combine. You are going to be changing your tune, ala Clayton, for a 2nd year in a row Razor.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Come now Razor,

You said he can't play NT, he's been the best NT in college football the last few seasons. You thought he was just a DT.

It stated he has a wrestling background, which I would like to point out, was why you said Kelly Gregg has been so successful. Gregg is 1 inch and 10 lbs heavier then Patterson and older. Gregg has also been the absolute best NT in the NFL statistically the last two years.

It gave valid opinions of star players who point out his strength and ability. A draft is all about opinions, of course they matter.

Most sites have Spears at 24 because that's where he was when most peeps did their draft board. He's only improved his stock since the senior bowl. Mike Williams is not top 10 until he can beat a 4.6 40, which he might not be able to do.

Regardless, it's going to be 3 years until one of us can actually be wrong. But, we can debate about where he goes in the draft. I think the combine could move him into the top 25.

db32
02-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Now, let's compare him to say Antaj Hawthorne....at least Hawthorne gives you some physical traits to work with that Patterson never will....all things being equal, I would take a shot at Hawthorne over Patterson....just my 2 cents...

That's the first mention you made about anyone's physical ability. Size be canned, does he have the physical ability to compete? I don't care what his dimensions are if he can play. Adams has only adequate athleticism. More heart and effort than ability. What about Patterson?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Pro Bowl calibur DTs (past or present):

Kelly Gregg 6'0" 310 DT
La'Roi Glover 6'2" 282 DT
Ellis Johnson 6'2" 288 DT
Warren Sapp 6'2" 300 DT
Corey Simon 6'2" 293 DT
Anthony McFarland 6'0" 300 DT
Brenston Buckner 6'2" 310 DT
Casey Hampton 6'1" 325 DT

Solid Players (Past or Present):

Chad Lavalais 6'1" 295 DT
Micheal Myers 6'2" 300 DT
Lionel Dalton 6'1" 310 DT
Brian Young 6'2" 298 DT
Dewayne Robterson 6'1" 317 DT
Hollis Thomas 6'0" 306 DT
Anthony Adams 6'0" 300 DT
Damione Lewis 6'2" 301 DT

How's that for a factual argument?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-25-2005, 12:13 PM
What's our criteria? Guys who made an NFL roster, or who actually did more than take up a roster space, which is the case with at least half the stiffs you listed...

Again, we wll have to agree to disagree...

LOL, no backstroking. You've got to admit I got you on that one.

That's 8 Pro Bowl DTs and 8 solid starters.

You said there were 2 in the entire league. I gave you 16.

There are alot more small DTs who are backups, but they weren't worth listing. I listed players that would start on any football team.

However, to be fair, I will say that only Casey Hampton is even close to Patterson's size as a NT. He was a Pro Bowler though at least.

Hampton was 6'1", 310 when he came out of Texas in the draft compared to Patterson coming out at 5'11", 300, possibly more for the combine. But 2 inches and 10 lbs can be a factor.

IMO, he is the best DT in this draft. As a NT, he would be a reach. He's likely too short to play DE in a 3-4, but I'd be tempted to give him a shot anyway. If there is any chance this team wants to play a 4-3 though, this guy is the pick. If it's the 3-4 I think Cody or Hawthorne make more sense as DEs.

So, your debating has made me re-think his effectiveness at NT, but has solidified my opinion that he is the best DT in this draft. However, unless Denver resigns Heyward and tries to stay 4-3, Patterson doesn't make alot of sense for our team. I still agree with you that the pick is Hawthorne.

db32
02-26-2005, 07:54 AM
and DB, I don't know where you come up with your summary of my argument...almost my entire argument against Patterson has been based on his LACK of physical prowess....

So then tell me about it! Don't stand on a podium on look down your nose at me and tell you're right because you trust your opinion more than mine. Support your argument-tell me what he is athletically. Consider this - I trust my opinion more than I trust yours. I got 3 VCR's, a $1800 PC (custon built) with a $400 video card with a TV input. IT'S NOT USED FOR GAMING. I got a few hundred bucks in video tape and a subscription to ESPN Gameday. Put two and two together-I use the computer to convert the film to DVD-RW ($350 DVD player) and write the evals myself. That money wouldn't be invested if I wasn't seriouse and had any inkling that I didn't know what I was doing.

I would be willing to bet that Patterson grades out in almost every catagory as almost identical to Adams....I still have the draft grades on him, so I will be comparing them....

WHY?!?!?!? Why trust the opinion of someone else? These "draft gurus" have no idea what they're doin'. Sure, I play along, but everyone wants to second guess some public team figure, but they never second guess a talent evaluator when all they have is a WEB SITE. I come from the Bill Walsh school of thought-the first day is gonna' give you a quality player. My focus is on rounds 5-7. Example-Bryan Scott, Antwan Peek were two guys I was really high on. If I had a say, heading into that draft, I would've taken them early on the second day. Gary Horton had them in the 20's at their positions. Gary Horton screwed it up SO BADLY, that by the time Alonzo Jackson was taken, I knew by then not to trust these guys. Every year I pick against Mike Shannahan-strictly for fun. So when Denver was coming back around in the 2nd, I made up my mind I was gonna' take Peek. He didn't even last that long. Again, these guys don't know what they're doin. Does that mean to say that I know better? Hm, I guess it does. Ya, that's conceited confidence.

Razor, what this whole things about-you took a shot at Broncology. He puts himself out there though. He tries. The efforts there. I'm asking the same thing from you. Don't bash a guy because you disagree and then not give a quality eval. I'll know if you read this, because you'll call me out. Guess what? I'm prayin' for that. I have no problem puttin' up my small write up on guy.