PDA

View Full Version : time to trade him

Sharpey
02-25-2005, 05:58 PM
i think its time to add Lelie to our crop of trade bait...he is coming off a good year and his value is as high as it will ever be...every time he catches the ball i cant watch cuz one big hit will sideline him...he's like a wet paper bag...he never will develop that midrange game cuz he's afraid of the big hit that will tear him apart

Lelie, pryce, droughns

just get draft picks in return, hopefully end up with another first rounder and a second rounder...for example, lelie and pryce to minnesota for one of their 2 first rounders - they also have tons of cap space and need a wr and DE...

draft: OLB D.Blackstock and DE Erasmus James in the first
another Dlineman and an OLineman in the second

in the later rounds draft a big DT, P, KR/PR, RB

FA: sign WR Desmond Mason (great for the west coast offense, does what lelie doesnt)

sign a CB, whatever we can afford

wizkid31
02-25-2005, 06:12 PM
FA: sign WR Desmond Mason (great for the west coast offense, does what lelie doesnt)

who the hell is desmond mason, i think you mean DERRICK mason, i like lelie and dont want to get rid of him, mason also costs too much!!!

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-25-2005, 06:24 PM
I thought Lelie was our MVP on offense this season to be honest. There was a stretch of 3-4 games where he won us the game every time by either a big catch or drawing a long pass interference penalty.

I wouldn't trade Lelie unless I got a ridiculous offer. Infact, I'd sign him to a long term deal with a hefty raise.

LoufromLItt.
02-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Sharpey I Agree with you in the most part, I personally think lelie is ovverated. He is a good reciever but not pro bowl quality. some of the lelie homers here would disagree, but I think lelie should be trade bait. With shanahan's schemes the offensive will still flow and get yardage. We need defensive help bad. I don't know our salary cap and what not but I agree with the right offer lelie should get traded out of denver.

Sharpey
02-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Lou, it sounds like you know what you are talkin about...there are a few solid available FA WR's out there that are better than Lelie, including Derrick mason that are relatively cheap and produce on a CONSISTENT basis and that is what lelie lacks...he makes one flashy play every couple of games and that is just not what this offense is really about...we could def end up with 2 first round and 2 second round picks this year by packaging droughns, pryce, and lelie...we get defensive and OL help and a CB in FA and we should be in great shape

LoufromLItt.
02-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Lou, it sounds like you know what you are talkin about...there are a few solid available FA WR's out there that are better than Lelie, including Derrick mason that are relatively cheap and produce on a CONSISTENT basis and that is what lelie lacks...he makes one flashy play every couple of games and that is just not what this offense is really about...we could def end up with 2 first round and 2 second round picks this year by packaging droughns, pryce, and lelie...we get defensive and OL help and a CB in FA and we should be in great shape

I usually sound moronic ^^. But the more I hear this the better it sounds.. I Think the best thing for lelie would be a trade out of denver. If he got attention from teams such as indianapolis, minnesota (who needs a wr for culpepper),and kansas city he would be better off going. He will never put up double digit touchdown's for Shanahan's broncos. I know stats usually mean nothing, but to recievers they mean a whole bunch.. even if they don't say so. (ask terrell owens). If we could trade lelie it would be a good thing for both the broncos and ashlie.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Actually, I don't think it's a terrible idea. All Ashley is is a deep threat. He drops balls all the time, won't fight for jump balls, won't catch in traffic, and everytime he takes a good lick he limps off for a few plays. I realize he had over 1000yds this season but his avg stats were like: 3 catches, 75 yds, 1TD, thrown to 7, drops 3.
He's just too inconsistent for me and not every play is the long bomb. I'd like to see him catch a couple 5 yd slants every once in a while, oh wait, he can't get off the jam.

Sharpey
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
exactly, very well put, he lacks CONSISTENCY!

LoufromLItt.
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Actually, I don't think it's a terrible idea. All Ashley is is a deep threat. He drops balls all the time, won't fight for jump balls, won't catch in traffic, and everytime he takes a good lick he limps off for a few plays. I realize he had over 1000yds this season but his avg stats were like: 3 catches, 75 yds, 1TD, thrown to 7, drops 3.
He's just too inconsistent for me and not every play is the long bomb. I'd like to see him catch a couple 5 yd slants every once in a while, oh wait, he can't get off the jam.

I'll Email shanahan with our suggestion.

Sharpey
02-25-2005, 06:49 PM
hahaha, i wish he would listen...maybe he is too busy taking a shower tho

atruebroncosfan
02-25-2005, 07:16 PM
i think its time to add Lelie to our crop of trade bait...he is coming off a good year and his value is as high as it will ever be...every time he catches the ball i cant watch cuz one big hit will sideline him...he's like a wet paper bag...he never will develop that midrange game cuz he's afraid of the big hit that will tear him apart

Lelie, pryce, droughns

just get draft picks in return, hopefully end up with another first rounder and a second rounder...for example, lelie and pryce to minnesota for one of their 2 first rounders - they also have tons of cap space and need a wr and DE...

stupidity, ashley is our next rod smith.

Sharpey
02-25-2005, 07:42 PM
how is ashley the next rod smith when ashley is not a possession receiver???

genius ;)

ReleaseTheBeast7
02-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Lelie has the attitude of Rod, he is a team guy, doesn't play for money. Expands his talent to the point that it makes him the best WR in the league. Thats what wins championships, and thats what we need, team players, put theirselves on the line for the team.

Don't ever say we should trade Lelie again.

Orange_Crush21
02-25-2005, 08:44 PM
His avg stats were like: 3 catches, 75 yds, 1TD, thrown to 7, drops 3.

Those are some crazy season stats, that would be 48 catches for 1200 yards, 16 touchdowns and 48 drops. Thrown to 112 times. Man, if only he could catch two more balls a game at 25 yards a catch that'd be 2000 yards!

I realize these aren't his actual stats, but if you want a trade a guy that would put up 1200 yards and 16 touchdowns with 48 catches, you're nuts.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Those are some crazy season stats, that would be 48 catches for 1200 yards, 16 touchdowns and 48 drops. Thrown to 112 times. Man, if only he could catch two more balls a game at 25 yards a catch that'd be 2000 yards!

I realize these aren't his actual stats, but if you want a trade a guy that would put up 1200 yards and 16 touchdowns with 48 catches, you're nuts.

But that is the problem. In most games he'd have 1 or 2 catches, 1 or 2 drops, and usually one long play that made up most of his yardage. Sounds like a 3rd down slot type receiver to me, not the future #1 of a Franchise.

Thesameold333
02-25-2005, 09:12 PM

Lelie, pryce, droughns

I was one of many that was ready to waive goodbye to Lelie..........................and then the 2004 season started. Lelie made at least 4 game winning receptions, that were of highlight reel quality. In my opinion he also is becoming VERY consistent. You Have to CONSISTENTLY catch the long ball to LEAD the league in 30 PLUS yard receptions. He was a huge part of Jakes 4000 yard season.

Lelie is emerging as a premier deep threat, and I will agree the verdict is still out on whether Lelie can play the short/intermediate game, it doesnt matter. When you have a guy that can stretch the field, that opens things up for Rod, Putz and even Kyle Johnson.

Lelie forces teams to gameplan for the deep ball, something they havent had to do against us in the last couple of years.

Unfortunately I know the Jake bashers are gonna murder me for saying this, but make no mistake about it......... It was not our run game that got us into the playoffs this year, it was our passing game, and Lelie was the most responsible for opening that up. We lost Eddy Mac, and Big Play Shay this year, but had 4000 yrds in the air.................... Its amazing what a fast Hawaian with long arms can do to your passing game.

TXBRONC
02-25-2005, 09:24 PM

That would leave one player with more than a year of experience. Mason is experienced and will cost more than what you're anticpating. I doubt we would end up with two first round draft choics and two second rounders for what you're proposing. You're making the assumption that a team would have need of all three and would want all three, its not realistic.

Sharpey
02-25-2005, 09:46 PM
well, not really...im just hoping droughns merits a second rounder by himself or we can package our 3rd and droughns for a second...

we get the vikings first rounder for lelie and pryce

Sharpey
02-25-2005, 09:47 PM
mason might cost more but he really is a terrific receiver and the money we cleared with pryce and not signing hayward should get him and a corner

LoufromLItt.
02-26-2005, 08:04 AM
stupidity, ashley is our next rod smith.

Nobody is the next Rod smith. Rod smith is rod smith. Ashlie lelie doesn't block for run like smith does, nor does he catch 1st downs for a 15 yard gain over the middle like smith does, ashlie catched balls for 50+ yards. Comparing Rod smith to ashlie lelie is comparing apples to oranges. No way Will lelie ever become a short field threat. IMO lelie is a soft reciever and belongs on a team like the colts or vikings.

Snk16
02-26-2005, 08:17 AM

Lelie, pryce, droughns

WTF are you smoking.

LoufromLItt.
02-26-2005, 11:12 AM
WTF are you smoking.

What are you smoking man? Ashlie would make great trade bait. Especially since we have a struggling defensive line.

Dean
02-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Lelei's 1000+ yard year and his speed has caused defenses to have to play more of the football field. The pay back for this is decreased pressure on the running game and opening up the midrange passes for other recievers. Our young recieving core this next year will make more catches and take advantage of this with a year of NFL experience under their belts. As far as his drops, IMHO they have decreased and I would expect them to decrease even more next year.

I am sorry to say but I wondered at Lelei's contact courage when catching the ball in traffic. He has gotten bigger and I think he still has about 10 pounds to go. At one point or another, most players come to the realization that the defenders are going to hit them whether they catch the ball or not. Once they do, improvement as a possesion reciever soon follows. Will Lelei show marked improvement next year or ever? We can only hope but my experience is that most come to "put up with the contact" even if they never ignore it.