PDA

View Full Version : Random Information from the Combine

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-26-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm getting my information from a site that costs 100 bucks a year and is reporting live from the combine. These are just notes for people who don't feel like spending money to hear information early.... Here are some of the interview results...Enjoy!

Shaun Cody/DT/USC

- He measured in 6-4/293

- He will not run here, but will lift on Sunday. He plans to work out at his pro day on March 24.

- He said he can play inside in a 4-3 and outside in a 3-4.

- He doesn't have an agent yet; will hire one after the Combine.

- He has received the most interest from San Diego, Dallas, and Minnesota.

Erasmus James/DT/Wisconsin

- He measured in at 6-4 1/2/266

- He will do everything but the bench.

- He played basketball in high school.

- He said his ankle injury, which kept him out of the Senior Bowl, is OK now. The ankle bothered him for two games.

- He expects to run in the 4.6 range.

- As for injuries, he was originally concerned that his hip injury of August 2003 would be a "Bo Jackson" injury that would end his career. It was a partial dislocation of the hip. His original medical tests in Indianapolis were good, but he has yet to do the MRI. He had tendonitis in the shoulder in 2002.

- He knows the biggest questions about him from scouts will be regarding his health.

- He thinks he is similar to defensive ends Julius Peppers and Jevon Kearse.

- He thinks he would fit a 3-4 defense well.

Travis Johnson/DT/Florida St.

- He measured in at 6'3 5/8 305

- He will only bench press. He will work out at his pro day on 3/15

- He lists his toughest opposition as Alex Barron, Elton Brown, and Jeff Faine.

- He has not met with teams yet

Mike Patterson/DT/USC

- He measured in at 5'11 1/2 292

- He hasn't met with any teams yet

- Ryan Kalil toughest competition

- He lists his versatility as his best strength.

Heath Miller/TE/Virginia

- He measured in at 6'5 256

- He lists Shaun Merriman toughest opponent

- He prefers to get down field but is a willing blocker

- He will not work out here but will at his pro day.

- His rehab from abdominal surgery is going as planned.

- He has not met with any teams

Marcus Spears/DE/LSU

- He measured in at 6'4 307

- He confirmed that he has a torn meniscus in his right knee which is why he won't work out here.

- His pro day is 3/31 and will be the first time he works out.

- He is willing to play end in a 3-4, 4-3, or tackle in a 4-3

- He said his former coach Nick Saban runs mini combines for his players before training camp and he added he would love to play for Saban at Miami.

- He listed Shawn Andrews as his toughest opponent.

Alex Smith/TE/Stanford

- He measured in at 6'4/258

- He has not met with any teams.

- He will not be working out here.

- A scout from the Cardinals pulled Smith off of the interview podium in order to conduct a team interview with him.

He will not work out because he bruised his knee at the Senior Bowl. Says he checked out medically OK here.

- He has not missed any games because of injury.

- He said he's trying to break away from his label as a receiving tight end, trying to become and every-down player for NFL teams.

- He expects to go somewhere in the first round or maybe early second.

- He has his degree in economics.

- His father played four seasons for the Broncos, where he watched a couple of training camps.

- He spent a total of nine hours in the hospital getting checked out medically between two days. A torn ACL ended his father's career.

- He played WR his first two seasons in high school.

- He expects to run a 4.6-second 40-yard dash with a goal of 4.5.

Anttaj Hawthorne/DT/Wisconsin

- He measured 6-3/321

- He said he played at 330 his senior year.

- He wanted to prove he was more than just a big guy.

- He lists strengths as being strong and physically aggressive

- He said the only reason he went to the Senior Bowl was to show his work ethic to coaches.

- Will do a full workout.

- Teams showing an interest are Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Cincinnati.

- He ran 5.17-40 last year.

- Sees himself as a two-gap player (NT) who likes played heads-up on the center.

- He has started since the last three games of his freshman year.

- Senior Bowl position coach for the Raiders compared him to Warren Sapp.

- He says he expects to go at end of the first round or early second.

- He didn't consider coming out early.

Jammal Brown/OL/Oklahoma

- Measured in at 6'5 1/2/316

- He said he can play either tackle position.

- Lists his strengths as having good feet, being very aggressive, and plays to the whistle.

- He made the switch from defensive line to offensive line due to the emergence of Tommie Harris. At first, he was hesitant to make the move and thought of transferring to Tennessee or Miami-Fla.

- On his combine experience

"The best sleep I got here was on the floor at the hospital (when taking the physical)."

- He planned on doing a full workout but his body is worn down a little so he may just wait until his pro day next month to do that.

-Said he was battling it out for the top lineman with Khalif Barnes since Alex Barron did not do a full workout.

- Has received interest so far from Baltimore, Green Bay, Carolina.

Roddy White/WR/Alabama Birmingham

- Measured in at 6'1/207

- He said small, quick cornerbacks have given him trouble in the past.

- He lists route running as his biggest challenge at the next level.

- He likes the Colts and Rams since they throw the ball a lot but admits the Colts would be a long shot since they have a deep receiver corps.

- His family had tremendous success in wrestling and he won two state championships while in high school. In only lost one match in his final two years.

- His freshman year he wrestled at 112 and in his senior year he wrestled at 189.

- He has been working out with some NFL players in Arizona to get ready for the draft.

Shawne Merriman/DE/Maryland

- He measured in at 6'4"/272

- He will work out, saving it for March 16 pro day.

- His most recent times in the 40 had been in the low to mid-4.4 in the 40.

- Says "I can play up first three downs, but if they need me to rush, I can rush.

- He has been told he could play OLB or MLB.

- Nickname is "Lights Out." "I've knocked out a lot of people," he said. He said he loves making the big hit.

- He said he has a 41-1/2-inch vertical leap.

He played basketball in high school.

Dan Cody/DE/Oklahoma

- He measured in at 6-5 1/2/255.

- He said he will not work out.

-In regard to a black out in one game.

- "Before the fourth quarter I was pretty revved up," he said. "I didn't black out, I just got light-headed. I cam back with a sack and a tackle on the next drive."

- He was a medical redshirt in his freshman year after being diagnosed with clinical depression. Got treatment and said everything is fine now.

- "It's just having a good relationship with yourself and with God."

- He wants to be known as the hardest-working player in college football.

- In regard to being a top pick

- "I can't see myself being a top-5. Top 15 hopefully."

Dream
02-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the information; you and I both think Spears was going to go high, maybe to Dallas, Houston or the Chargers; but with a torn meniscus in his knee; how much do you think that will hinder his draft status?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the information; you and I both think Spears was going to go high, maybe to Dallas, Houston or the Chargers; but with a torn meniscus in his knee; how much do you think that will hinder his draft status?

I think it gurantees he's not a top 25 pick as of this moment. But, I don't believe its an extremely serious injury, and if he shows up healthy at his pro day, it will probably be obsolete and he can jump into the top 10 depending on his workouts.

I think it's definitely a caution flag though that takes away his gains at the Senior Bowl and puts it all onto his workout now. If he does well and posts good numbers, it will hardly hurt him at all.

West
02-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Mat'hir can you add some info for Antrel Rolle, Jammal Brimmer, Pac Man Jones, Josh Bullocks and Justin Miller

i think secondary is a stressing point and i would like to look at our options in the first 2 rounds of the draft

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Mat'hir can you add some info for Antrel Rolle, Jammal Brimmer, Pac Man Jones, Josh Bullocks and Justin Miller

i think secondary is a stressing point and i would like to look at our options in the first 2 rounds of the draft

They work out on Monday I believe. I'll post info when they do. I wouldn't expect Rolle or Jones to actually workout though, many top prospects do not.

West
02-26-2005, 07:38 PM
thanks dawg... :beer:

db32
02-27-2005, 09:49 AM

Iknow that answer!! Been there, had it happen. Torn patella, ruptured both bursa sacks and tore a portion of my meniscus and articular cartilage. The patella tendon was bad-can't do an orthroscopy with that. That was open knee. The bursa sacks heal on their own. From what the doctors told me, the cartilage was very serious. The two types of cartilage as described to me by the doctors;
Articular is used by the joint for compression. Think of it as a shock for a car.
Meniscus is used for lubrication. Without it, it's bone on bone.
Cartilage doesn't heal like skin. When it grows back, it doesn't have the same consitency as the rest of the tissue, leaving a strong chance that the injury will reoccur-and each time that tissue is reinjured, it grows back with less strength, less of it and with even less consistency. To stimulate its growth, they drilled holes in the bone where the tissue was torn from. To get the tissue to grow back, they had to injure the area further. The patella-they found a cadaver with the same blood type. Didn't have to match antigens or anything. Slap in a new ligament, rehab and you're good to go. The patella is huge too. several inches by several inches. The surface area of the cartilage I tore was 3 millimeters by 3.5 millimeters. That can't transplant the tissue either (I asked when I found out about the new ligament). Ligamentous injuries aren't squat, but those cartilaginous injuries sound like a mother. That sounds like that could end a career. I don't know how bad it was (concerning spears), but I got a pretty good scare with mine.

Dream
02-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah dude, my dad was out in our backyard cutting branches off of our tree and some freak accident happened and he completely tore his meniscus. I had to basically carry and support him all the way into our house, and my dad isn't a small guy. Felt so bad for him, just doing yardwork and some freaky crap like that happens.

I think this drops Spears into the bottom of the first round now, maybe early second.

I think those are the kind of injuries that make teams skeptical about going out and picking them. Perhaps he's a risk for us at #25; but the way he played in the Senior Bowl and all season still makes me think he's one of the top guys out there.

db32
02-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Yeah dude, my dad was out in our backyard cutting branches off of our tree and some freak accident happened and he completely tore his meniscus. I had to basically carry and support him all the way into our house, and my dad isn't a small guy. Felt so bad for him, just doing yardwork and some freaky crap like that happens.

I think this drops Spears into the bottom of the first round now, maybe early second.

I think those are the kind of injuries that make teams skeptical about going out and picking them. Perhaps he's a risk for us at #25; but the way he played in the Senior Bowl and all season still makes me think he's one of the top guys out there.

I don't know if age has anything to do with it, but I'm gonna' guess that it does-concerning the body's ability to heal itself. I know from that experience that smoking impedes the body's ability to heal itself. I tore mine in 98. I was discharged in '97 at 22, so I would have just turned 23 when it happened. Right around the age that Spears is now. I spent 10- weeks in a cast after that. Normally, I would've started rehab days after surgery, or whenever the suture healed enough, but having cartilage damage-I had to immobilize the limb and allow the damaged area to heal before I could start rehab. That injury sucks! In August of '93 I tore 3 ligaments in my foot (delayed my enlistment by 10 months) and I'd trade the meniscus damage for 3 damaged ligaments any day.

BIGD2oo4
02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
mat' ,thanks very much for the updates,in past years I havent had accsess to this much info,especially draft and combine info!I am fortunate enough to have NFL network ,but am not able to view all info!Any idea when Heath Miller's pro workout is?

OrangeShadow
02-27-2005, 11:56 AM
thanks for the info and insight man