PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth

West
02-26-2005, 05:16 PM
the bandwidth in this message board sucks...every 5 posts or so the site wont load...it really is starting to be a pain in the ass...please fix this

::begging::

2 Minute Warning
02-26-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm having the same problem :huh: , glad to know it's not just my computer ;)

West
02-26-2005, 05:25 PM
i think its the overload of threads and gifs in sigs

Dream
02-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Yeah; I did a bandwidth hack on on my OS and things are a lot faster; but this is still the only site I have problems with loading times. Remember; there is usually a fair amount of people posting on the board at the same time; and West -- you're right about the images. A lot of the animations in the signatures; the movies, etc. all wear down how fast the site is going. I think that the restrictions on signatures and avatars are there for a reason; to make the site load faster.

It happens quite often for me as well; but it's nothing I get bent out of shape over.

Just play a game on Shockwave or listen to some music to pass the time. :beer:

Alastor
02-26-2005, 06:27 PM
i think its the overload of threads and gifs in sigs

It could be sigs. It's not the GIFs though, unless those GIFs have been uploaded to this site.

Gifs can bog down dial-uppers especially, but they don't actually come from this site's bandwidth when remotely linked (like I presume most of us do). Same with JPEGs and such... but I don't think very many of the pics on this site that are big are actually hosted here, so they don't really consume much in the way of bandwidth - in fact they consume almost nothing at all.

The only problems these can cause is long loading times for slower connections.

The sigs however, is a bandwidth eater. In fact, while I won't mention how, the sigs can be manipulated on these and other message boards to take down entire sites because of their potential to starve the site of bandwidth.

A lot of would-be hackers actually try to cause site crashes by manipulating sigs. There's quite a degree of effectiveness to it if it's used properly too.

I'm not saying anyone here is mallicious, but I do see some sigs now and then that seem to have accidentally engaged in the same types of activities that the hackers use to crash sites. "Stumbling" onto the problem without knowing they're the problem, so to speak.

Snk16
02-26-2005, 08:18 PM
I have that problem sometimes and sometimes I don't. Weird.