PDA

View Full Version : Darren Sharper to be released

ReleaseTheBeast7
02-27-2005, 04:20 PM
He's refusing to restructure his contract, so Packers are going to release him. And with Kennedy heading to FA, should we get Sharper?

EddyMac87
02-27-2005, 04:28 PM
it'd be a great pickup but how much was his original contract...?

JoRo
02-27-2005, 04:32 PM
He's refusing to restructure his contract, so Packers are going to release him. And with Kennedy heading to FA, should we get Sharper?

He'd cost more than kennedy and is older.......why waste the money?

urinal_cake
02-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Why even bother re-signing Kennedy... We need a FS that can actually play the pass for god sakes, not just a warm body! Sharper is a FS and CAN play the pass. I'd gladly let Kennedy walk to get this guy on board...™

OrangeShadow
02-27-2005, 04:46 PM
sharper can play the pass wella dn hes only 2 years older

JoRo
02-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Why even bother re-signing Kennedy... We need a FS that can actually play the pass for god sakes, not just a warm body! Sharper is a FS and CAN play the pass. I'd gladly let Kennedy walk to get this guy on board...™

You thinka bout it, Lynches signing actually hurt us, yes hes good, but hes old an kennedy would help us a ton once lynch retires

urinal_cake
02-27-2005, 05:18 PM
You thinka bout it, Lynches signing actually hurt us, yes hes good, but hes old an kennedy would help us a ton once lynch retires

True, and I don't know how that Chris Young kid will pan out if started in a couple years.. he's cheap™

JoRo
02-27-2005, 05:21 PM
True, and I don't know how that Chris Young kid will pan out if started in a couple years.. he's cheap™

I know this isnt very accurate, since it was against second string or worse, but if he can make the roster year after year because of play and practice in t.c, i think maybe we should try him out, or Ferg........... i mean ferg was a starter for a while in 03 anyways

urinal_cake
02-27-2005, 05:27 PM
I know this isnt very accurate, since it was against second string or worse, but if he can make the roster year after year because of play and practice in t.c, i think maybe we should try him out, or Ferg........... i mean ferg was a starter for a while in 03 anyways

I forgot about Ferguson... he's a lot faster than Young, Lynch or Kennedy™

West
02-27-2005, 05:27 PM
I would love to have D Sharp here...damn he would take our secondary to the next level...he could take antonio gates and gonzalzes out of the game and also cover the slot when we're in our base D against a 3 wide set...he is an extremely good tackler and would be an asset to our D right away...

GET HIM SHANNY

JoRo
02-27-2005, 05:47 PM
I would love to have D Sharp here...damn he would take our secondary to the next level...he could take antonio gates and gonzalzes out of the game and also cover the slot when we're in our base D against a 3 wide set...he is an extremely good tackler and would be an asset to our D right away...

GET HIM SHANNY

Go play madden

West
02-27-2005, 05:48 PM
whats that suppose to mean?

OrangeShadow
02-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Go play madden

nice attempt but this isnt like most ideas,we have a shot at him if we wanted hes not that expensive.

West
02-27-2005, 06:11 PM
yes correct OS..not many all pro safeties less expensive like Sharper

ReleaseTheBeast7
02-27-2005, 06:54 PM
nice attempt but this isnt like most ideas,we have a shot at him if we wanted hes not that expensive.

Yeah, the threads I make are realistic:)

Peerless
02-28-2005, 01:50 PM
We do have Nick Fergueson (spelling) also.

buchosiete
02-28-2005, 02:04 PM
yes correct OS..not many all pro safeties less expensive like Sharper

I think it would be a good idea to sign him to a short term contract. Sharper and Lynch would lead our secondary with their experience.

West
02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
all lynch is good for is hitting...i'd bench him

mr williams52
03-04-2005, 07:26 PM
is he even a free agent? i have seen threads suggesting he is but i havent heard any other info on him. if he is in fact a FA can we afford him?

West
03-04-2005, 07:30 PM
i think the Pack are still trying to resign him but if that doesnt work they'll probably release him shortly

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-04-2005, 07:47 PM
i think the Pack are still trying to resign him but if that doesnt work they'll probably release him shortly

He refused to restructure so they released him.

West
03-04-2005, 07:48 PM
not yet they havent or else itd be all over Nfl.com :duh:

TXBRONC
03-04-2005, 08:09 PM
is he even a free agent? i have seen threads suggesting he is but i havent heard any other info on him. if he is in fact a FA can we afford him?

My understading is that he isn't free agent. The rumor I heard is that Packers are looking to trade Pryce for Sharper.

ttejuco
03-05-2005, 02:03 PM
My understading is that he isn't free agent. The rumor I heard is that Packers are looking to trade Pryce for Sharper.

Really? I wouldnt mind seeing that, a 2 probowl players traded. Sharper is one of the best FS's out there, in the same league as Brian Dawkins and Roy Williams.

jletourneau
03-05-2005, 02:08 PM

That is a move I would welcome with this whole pryce thing. Where did you hear that they were looking at that trade? All I had heard was that GB was trying to re-structure with him big time, and if not, he'd be released.

TXBRONC
03-05-2005, 02:16 PM
That is a move I would welcome with this whole pryce thing. Where did you hear that they were looking at that trade? All I had heard was that GB was trying to re-structure with him big time, and if not, he'd be released.

A poster who happens to live in Green Bay commented this very thing on a thread in General Discussion if memory serves me correctly. He said it was on one of the local sports radio programs in the Green Bay area.

Adrenaline
03-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't know if this trade makes much sense Sharper for Pryce. It would be a awsome trade fo us to get a good FS we need. But if Sharper refused to restructure and this is what signals his way out why would green bay want to deal with Pryces big contract.

jletourneau
03-05-2005, 02:49 PM
A poster who happens to live in Green Bay commented this very thing on a thread in General Discussion if memory serves me correctly. He said it was on one of the local sports radio programs in the Green Bay area.

thanks for the info

TXBRONC
03-05-2005, 02:54 PM
I don't know if this trade makes much sense Sharper for Pryce. It would be a awsome trade fo us to get a good FS we need. But if Sharper refused to restructure and this is what signals his way out why would green bay want to deal with Pryces big contract.

The way the guy put it the Packers have interest in Pryce. IF they truely are interested and he would fill a need why not? Also it looks as if we might need a FS and Sharper would fill that bill. I'm not saying its fact, I just wanted to bring out something that I heard elsewhere.

Adrenaline
03-05-2005, 02:58 PM
The way the guy put it the Packers have interest in Pryce. IF they truely are interested and he would fill a need why not? Also it looks as if we might need a FS and Sharper would fill that bill. I'm not saying its fact, I just wanted to bring out something that I heard elsewhere.

I wasnt trying to be critical....

TXBRONC
03-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I wasnt trying to be critical....

I didn't take that way. :D

Adrenaline
03-05-2005, 03:00 PM
I didn't take that way. :D
ok :beer:

DPg2003
03-05-2005, 03:36 PM
I think trading Pryce for Sharper and a pick would be a great deal, if it could be done. If the trade were to go down both Sharper and Pryce would have to basically sign new deals, so that would probably be what would keep the deal from happening.

Sharper is a ballhawking FS who loves the big play, which is both good and bad. He has the tendancy to give up as many plays as he makes due to his gambles in coverage. He can force some fumbles and if he is fully recovered from his knee injury he could be a nice compliment to Lynch. He is only 29, which isn't old for a S and he is pretty good in run support.

I would love to see Sharper come here for one or two years. That would let Jeremy LeSueur develop at FS and he could eventually take over when Sharper leaves.

ttejuco
03-05-2005, 03:56 PM
I think bringing in Pryce for Sharper and a pick would be a great deal, if it could be done. If the trade were to go down both Sharper and Pryce would have to basically sign new deals, so that would probably be what would keep the deal from happening.

Sharper is a ballhawking FS who loves the big play, which is both good and bad. He has the tendancy to give up as many plays as he makes due to his gambles in coverage. He can force some fumbles and if he is fully recovered from his knee injury he could be a nice compliment to Lynch. He is only 29, which isn't old for a S and he is pretty good in run support.

I would love to see Sharper come here for one or two years. That would let Jeremy LeSueur develop at FS and he could eventually take over when Sharper leaves.

I totally agree. IMO i believe LeSueur has the talent to become something great, he was great at Michigan playing multi roles, and i think he can take that to the NFL.

DPg2003
03-05-2005, 05:12 PM
I totally agree. IMO i believe LeSueur has the talent to become something great, he was great at Michigan playing multi roles, and i think he can take that to the NFL.

Yea man, I think LeSueur is going to be a special player. He just has gamebreaker written all over him. You put him at S on a D with the talent that we have around him and he can be great. Hopefully he gets some good coaching and maximizes his immense potential.

DenverFanInGB
03-06-2005, 11:59 AM

They're trying to renegotiate his contract. Sharper is due a roster bonus of $2.6 million on March 12 and will have a salary cap number of $8.63 million this season. If Sharper refuses to take a pay cut, he almost certainly will be released.

I think Sharper would be to expensive plus he's not even worth the money. He's really fallen off a bit in the last couple years, weak arm tackles, blown coverages etc.

As far as a Pryce/ Sharper trade, i don't think the Packers can afford Pryce. But they have been letting some guys go to make some room to bring in some free agents. Right now the Pack is about $2.5 mill under the cap and they have a lot of holes to fill. I guess we'll see how that plays out.

JoRo
03-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I think id rather us get a fs and de in the draft and then look for a te if we can. That will fill the three needs, we dont really have the money to get sharper, maybe this year, but next year we will be in the same problem we had this year all over again.

With Ians contract as backloaded as it is, we will be hittin some major bumps in the next couple of years to stay competitive (not just because of him, but with Champs, Wilsons, and Plummers) we cant go an spend that money yet until we are sure to have Pryce's salary off of our hands, and even then we should be cautious, becuase we are gonna suffer a cap hit next year IF we do trade Pryce.

DPg2003
03-06-2005, 06:12 PM
They're trying to renegotiate his contract. Sharper is due a roster bonus of $2.6 million on March 12 and will have a salary cap number of $8.63 million this season. If Sharper refuses to take a pay cut, he almost certainly will be released.

I think Sharper would be to expensive plus he's not even worth the money. He's really fallen off a bit in the last couple years, weak arm tackles, blown coverages etc.

As far as a Pryce/ Sharper trade, i don't think the Packers can afford Pryce. But they have been letting some guys go to make some room to bring in some free agents. Right now the Pack is about $2.5 mill under the cap and they have a lot of holes to fill. I guess we'll see how that plays out.

Have there been any reports on Sharper's injury? Is he fully recovered?

Do you think part of the reason he hasn't looked as good lately is because of team that he was on? G. Jackson was hurt alot and KGB is strictly a pass rusher so it seemed like the Packers would have to stack the box to try to stop the run and be vulnerable in pass D. I mean their entire secondary looked bad at times. I think on a team with better talent around him where his only job would be to make plays and force turnovers he could be a nice fit. In saying that though I don't think we would be able to acquire him, let alone fit him under the cap.

DenverFanInGB
03-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Have there been any reports on Sharper's injury? Is he fully recovered?

Do you think part of the reason he hasn't looked as good lately is because of team that he was on? G. Jackson was hurt alot and KGB is strictly a pass rusher so it seemed like the Packers would have to stack the box to try to stop the run and be vulnerable in pass D. I mean their entire secondary looked bad at times. I think on a team with better talent around him where his only job would be to make plays and force turnovers he could be a nice fit. In saying that though I don't think we would be able to acquire him, let alone fit him under the cap.

Well i believe that Sharper is completely heathly and yeah the Packers D didn't really have much talent, but if you watched Sharper play you noticed he hasn't played at a high level to deserve that much money. There were many times where he'd just throw an arm out to tackle someone and they'd break right through or he'd just dive at their legs and he'd miss the tackle. I just don't think he's worth the money that they're paying him. He's decent but not worthy of being the highest paid safety in the league.

Broncosinindy
03-06-2005, 08:40 PM
i can think of off the top of my head atleast five better safties

jojo187
03-06-2005, 08:40 PM
y is everyone on this board ok with trading pryce. the broncos need defensive line not defensive back field.

Broncosinindy
03-06-2005, 08:51 PM
i for one dont want pyre to go although his cap means he will go .. i woul dlove to have pryce at some sort of reduced cost imagine

Pryce, Warren, E. Johnson, Palepoi/1st Rounder

Williams, Wilson, Gold

-or-

Pyrce , Warren, Palepoi/1st rounder/Ellis johnson

Gold, Wilson, Williams, Chucky

DPg2003
03-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Well i believe that Sharper is completely heathly and yeah the Packers D didn't really have much talent, but if you watched Sharper play you noticed he hasn't played at a high level to deserve that much money. There were many times where he'd just throw an arm out to tackle someone and they'd break right through or he'd just dive at their legs and he'd miss the tackle. I just don't think he's worth the money that they're paying him. He's decent but not worthy of being the highest paid safety in the league.

Yea I was just on the Packers message board and the fans in GB are in agreement that Sharper needs to go. I didn't see too much of him except for when he was getting INT's so that's why I was wondering if maybe he was worth a shot. After hearing from you and going on the message board I realize why the Packers wanted him to take a pay cut.

Hopefully we go with Lynch at SS and try Train Wreck at FS.

Cugel
03-07-2005, 10:20 AM
I think trading Pryce for Sharper and a pick would be a great deal, if it could be done. If the trade were to go down both Sharper and Pryce would have to basically sign new deals, so that would probably be what would keep the deal from happening.

This would essentially be a salary cap move for both teams. Both teams trade veterans, who then redo their contracts before the trade can happen.

Both players would have to agree, but they'd have to agree in any case if they become FA's.

Of course, at this point, either or both might want to become a FA and take their chances on the FA market. The teams really have no leverage because the time for franchise tagging a player has passed.

Pryce would have no choice but to redo his contract anyway. He's scheduled to make $9 million this season and there is no team in the NFL that would pay him anywhere near that much. He might get $2.5 or $3 million tops (coming off his injury there's just too much question about how durable he is and whether he'll ever return to top form).

Sharper is in a better position, but whatever team signs him will also redo his contrct to make it much more cap friendly.

24spellsD
03-10-2005, 02:25 PM
the packers released darren sharper.....BRONCOS STOP MESSIN AROUND AND GET THIS GUY!!!!

DENVER BRONCO56
03-10-2005, 02:31 PM
i agree, he could be the bst FS on the Right D, he was a monster for the PAckewrs, their secondary sucked....and he was still really good

He might be to much but if we traded pryce we could afford him

24spellsD
03-10-2005, 02:33 PM
exactly, the broncos need to quit laggin

RealBronco
03-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Do Something!!!! At least!!!

EddyMac87
03-10-2005, 02:36 PM
I think Nick Ferguson will be great...he's sertainly a better cover safty then kennedy is...obviously Sharper would be a great pickup, but i'd like to see us give Ferguson another shot...

Adrenaline
03-10-2005, 02:36 PM
exactly, the broncos need to quit laggin

This would be great. If the Pryce thing ever gets cleared up and gone, Sharper would be awsome. But i think Ferguson should get a chance. Might save us much needed money just going with ferguson.

24spellsD
03-10-2005, 02:40 PM
i think sharper would come cheaper then u guys htink and i want results now and sharper is capable of doing that

Dream
03-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Why spend trying to get sharper when we have Ferguson, Brandon and Young who could all contribute and compete for the starting job this year, not to mention LeSeuer who would be better suited as a safety rather than a cornerback.

Sharper misses too many tackles, actually their whole defense does. What's the sense in signing a guy who is an above-average coverage safety but blows at tackling? Wait, there isn't a point.

No to Sharper.

Caliraiderhater
03-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I really like sharper and think he is a good player! BUT i think with everybody we have that can play the possition we should trade pryce and use the cap space for somebody else at a more needed possition.

24spellsD
03-10-2005, 02:46 PM
im pretty sure sharper doesnt miss many tackles and still have a name for himself...nick and sam can wait another year no biggie

Dream
03-10-2005, 02:51 PM
im pretty sure sharper doesnt miss many tackles and still have a name for himself...nick and sam can wait another year no biggie

Champ Bailey was burned numerous times this year and still has a name for himself, doesn't he?

In my family you're either a Packers or Broncos fan, as you can tell I love the Broncos. My sister, brother and a lot of my aunts and uncles are Packer fans, I watch the Packers almost as much as I watch the Broncos, and Sharper has declined steadily in play over the past two years, he doesn't tackle like he used to -- did you happen to watch any of the games against Minnesota this year? Terrible job at tackling, not just Sharper, their whole defense.

No reason to spend more money on a safety when we already have three or four who can already do the job.

Cugel
03-10-2005, 02:52 PM
I really like sharper and think he is a good player! BUT i think with everybody we have that can play the possition we should trade pryce and use the cap space for somebody else at a more needed possition.

THAT's right!

Remember about a week ago there was speculation that we'd trade Pryce for Sharper? You have to wonder if the reason we didn't do it was that Sharper wanted to become a FA and get the BIG payday$$$$$!

He had the top hand over the Pack and he just dealt himself out of town. The question is: How much does he want and what are other teams willing to pay?

We don't desparately need a safety, we have good ones. We need DL and OL in that order. Then we need WR, FB and TE. LAST we need DB's and LB's.

24spellsD
03-10-2005, 02:53 PM
guess we will have to wait and see then wont we

Dream
03-10-2005, 02:56 PM
guess we will have to wait and see then wont we

I guess you concede your agrument, fair enough -- I knew you'd come around. :beer:

Aija
03-10-2005, 02:57 PM
He will in the least visit. Word is lynch likes him to replace kennedy. He will most definitely be considered. So lets hope he dosent ask for too much .

24spellsD
03-10-2005, 03:09 PM
i doubt that will happen..sharper is more of a need and edge is more of a extra if anything

BroncoWY
03-10-2005, 03:29 PM
He was joking! :D

defense!!!
03-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Should Denver be interested in Darren Sharper more than Jeff Garcia?

tinytim1817
03-10-2005, 04:10 PM
yes link please

defense!!!
03-10-2005, 04:14 PM
yes link please

I saw in the ESPNEWS news ticker. You should check the ESPN website. Click on NFL on the left when you get there. www.espn.com (http://www.espn.com)