PDA

View Full Version : Deals With Hamilton and E. Johnson All But Done

DPg2003
02-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Close to re-signing Ben Hamilton and Ellis Johnson (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~86~2736306,00.html)

If you read towards the end of the section about Lepsis you'll see where it says that Hamilton and Johnson are close to re-signing.

Hamilton re-signing is huge for the future. He will be a Pro-Bowl caliber Center starting in 2006.

Ellis Johnson coming back gives us proven veteran depth at DT.

Hopefully these deals are reasonable for not only right now, but the future as well.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-28-2005, 05:31 AM
I don't like that one bit. Lepsis will be allowed to test FA next season? While Foster can probably be a good LT, who is going to play RT? This suggests strongly that we may take an OT early in the draft, which will only hurt our D-line. I understand the economics of the NFL require that we don't spend a ton of money on our O-line, but this seems pretty risky to me. Lepsis proved to be a very good LT and Foster handled the RT well his first season starting.

This is not a great OT draft, there will probably be a good RT available early but we have to spend those picks on the defense. I'm not sure I really understand what Denver is planning to do.

OrangeShadow
02-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Ill trust what there doing after the performance by this years o line

TXBRONC
02-28-2005, 10:05 AM
The Broncos may not have had a choice in adding to Lepsis' deal to give him the option to test free agency next season. But what we don't is what will Denver get in return for Lepsis should he leave after next season and what kind of demand there will be for his services.

urinal_cake
02-28-2005, 10:10 AM
The Broncos may not have had a choice in adding to Lepsis' deal to give him the option to test free agency next season. But what we don't is what will Denver get in return for Lepsis should he leave after next season and what kind of demand there will be for his services.

sounds like there will be a lot of drafting for the lines this year... don't expect them to draft much in skill positions.

DPg2003
02-28-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't like that one bit. Lepsis will be allowed to test FA next season? While Foster can probably be a good LT, who is going to play RT? This suggests strongly that we may take an OT early in the draft, which will only hurt our D-line. I understand the economics of the NFL require that we don't spend a ton of money on our O-line, but this seems pretty risky to me. Lepsis proved to be a very good LT and Foster handled the RT well his first season starting.

This is not a great OT draft, there will probably be a good RT available early but we have to spend those picks on the defense. I'm not sure I really understand what Denver is planning to do.

I'm not sure, but I think Lepsis' agent requested that there be a void clause in the contract so that he could test the FA market for Lepsis. I have to believe that Shanahan wants to keep Lepsis for the length of the contract and I think that if Lepsis does void his contract Shanahan would try his hardest to re-sign him. If not I could see us signing a veteran FA next off-season or trying Cornell Green at RT and moving Foster to LT. I would be very surprised if Shanahan panicked this year and spent a Day 1 pick on a T, maybe a Day 2 pick though.

TXBRONC
02-28-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure, but I think Lepsis' agent requested that there be a void clause in the contract so that he could test the FA market for Lepsis. I have to believe that Shanahan wants to keep Lepsis for the length of the contract and I think that if Lepsis does void his contract Shanahan would try his hardest to re-sign him. If not I could see us signing a veteran FA next off-season or trying Cornell Green at RT and moving Foster to LT. I would be very surprised if Shanahan panicked this year and spent a Day 1 pick on a T, maybe a Day 2 pick though.

Concerning the void in Lepsis' contract, did you that somewhere else that his agent requested it? I would expect that if team asks a player to restructure his contract that would have to give him something in return.

I have read in various places that Denver would be looking to draft an offensive line or two this year, especially when you consider the guard and center situation. As you mentioned when Nalen retires Hamliton is supposed to move over to center and that would leave hole at his guard position, so it would be a good idea to draft some linemen to groom.

DPg2003
02-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Concerning the void in Lepsis' contract, did you that somewhere else that his agent requested it? I would expect that if team asks a player to restructure his contract that would have to give him something in return.

I'm not sure what you mean or what you're referring to in this statement. Lepsis and the team agreed for there to be a void clause after this season, but if it is not enforced the final three years of the deal will be set. I'm just not sure who has the power to void it, Lepsis or management.

I have read in various places that Denver would be looking to draft an offensive line or two this year, especially when you consider the guard and center situation. As you mentioned when Nalen retires Hamliton is supposed to move over to center and that would leave hole at his guard position, so it would be a good idea to draft some linemen to groom.

I've been saying for awhile that I would like to see us sign a G this off-season, preferably Rick DeMulling, and put him at RG this year and then move him to LG in 2006. As well as that I would like to see us draft a G, preferably Chris Spencer or Scott Young, and groom him to take over at RG in 2006. I think we have good depth with the other G's on the roster such as Alexander and Clabo, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if Shanahan took two G's in the draft this year.

DPg2003
02-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Sorry about that. Did you read somewhere that it was Lepsis' agent that asked for the possible void in Matt's contract?

I'm a little confused because in the article http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_3581979,00.html it states:

But the Broncos also added an option, which, if exercised, retains Lepsis for about $25 million through 2008

but in the artcle http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E86%257E2736306,00.html (http://http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E86%257E2736306,00.html) it states:

Lepsis agreed to a new contract that saves the team $800,000 in salary cap room this year and likely will allow the left tackle to test the free-agent market next year.

"This is a deal that helps the team, but gives us a chance for the future," said Lepsis' agent, Ethan Locke. "Matt wanted to help, and this works well."

So I'm not sure if the Broncos have the power to void it, or if Lepsis' agent requested the clause so that he could test the FA market in 2006.

If you find anything else let me know.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-28-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm a little confused because in the article http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_3581979,00.html it states:

But the Broncos also added an option, which, if exercised, retains Lepsis for about $25 million through 2008

but in the artcle http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E86%257E2736306,00.html (http://http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E86%257E2736306,00.html) it states:

Lepsis agreed to a new contract that saves the team $800,000 in salary cap room this year and likely will allow the left tackle to test the free-agent market next year.

"This is a deal that helps the team, but gives us a chance for the future," said Lepsis' agent, Ethan Locke. "Matt wanted to help, and this works well."

So I'm not sure if the Broncos have the power to void it, or if Lepsis' agent requested the clause so that he could test the FA market in 2006.

If you find anything else let me know.

The option is just a really, really high bonus. Which means, it's like Griese's deal with the Bucs' last offseason, which he just renegotiated. That option won't be picked up for certain, Lepsis will either renegotiate next offseason or he will be allowed to test the free agent market.

It's just salary cap finaggling. The most likely outcome is that the Broncos won't pick up the option, thus Lepsis will likely be a FA next year and can become filthy rich from some team.

We need OGs, yes. But now we NEED to draft an OT early to develop for next season. Foster will switch to LT, so a RT is needed.

Dream
02-28-2005, 03:01 PM
We need OGs, yes. But now we NEED to draft an OT early to develop for next season. Foster will switch to LT, so a RT is needed.

Right now I'm thinking if we can shore up some third rounders via the Droughns and Pryce trades; I think that we will look for a tackle sometime in the third round. Defensive line and the defense (even though we're solid; we desperately need playmakers) are just too big of priorities for us to use picks in the first two rounds on.

What do you think of Jeremy Parquet? I think he's done well in college and he has huge size and he's similar to Foster in many ways. I think Foster's pick a few years back was indicative of us switching to a more beefier line.

Have you heard anything about him in the combine? Anything you'd like to share about him?

If he's there and if we have additional picks in the third; I think he's worth a look.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Right now I'm thinking if we can shore up some third rounders via the Droughns and Pryce trades; I think that we will look for a tackle sometime in the third round. Defensive line and the defense (even though we're solid; we desperately need playmakers) are just too big of priorities for us to use picks in the first two rounds on.

What do you think of Jeremy Parquet? I think he's done well in college and he has huge size and he's similar to Foster in many ways. I think Foster's pick a few years back was indicative of us switching to a more beefier line.

Have you heard anything about him in the combine? Anything you'd like to share about him?

If he's there and if we have additional picks in the third; I think he's worth a look.

Yep, he was the weakest OT at the combine.

Jeremy Parquet - Southern Mississippi

6'6" 323lbs 17reps 5.34, 5.36 40s. (Pooosay)

Dream
02-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Wow, I guess his season meant nothing.

JRWIZ
02-28-2005, 04:23 PM
The option is just a really, really high bonus. Which means, it's like Griese's deal with the Bucs' last offseason, which he just renegotiated. That option won't be picked up for certain, Lepsis will either renegotiate next offseason or he will be allowed to test the free agent market.

It's just salary cap finaggling. The most likely outcome is that the Broncos won't pick up the option, thus Lepsis will likely be a FA next year and can become filthy rich from some team.

I read somewhere that Fosters natural position was LT. He was being used at RT this year so he could get used to the pace, gather exprience before moving him to LT.

BTW at 295 or so for Lepis with most other O-line in the real NFL he'd get killed.

His size and ability only works with our style of blocking. Most other OT are a good 320+.

So I'm not so sure about making a killing.

DPg2003
02-28-2005, 05:20 PM
I read somewhere that Fosters natural position was LT. He was being used at RT this year so he could get used to the pace, gather exprience before moving him to LT.

BTW at 295 or so for Lepis with most other O-line in the real NFL he'd get killed.

His size and ability only works with our style of blocking. Most other OT are a good 320+.

So I'm not so sure about making a killing.

Foster has the feet, range of motion, and the power to play LT. All he needs is one more year of NFL competition. If I'm not mistaken most of the elite LT's in the game now played at another position for a few years before settling in at LT. We'll be fine with Foster at LT in 2006 if Lepsis leaves. I think the unsaid certaintity in those articles is that the Broncos are planning to move on without Lepsis after this season.

You're right about Lepsis only fitting on teams that implement Denver's O-Line scheme. Maybe he'll reunite with Gibbs in Atlanta??

DPg2003
02-28-2005, 05:33 PM
The option is just a really, really high bonus. Which means, it's like Griese's deal with the Bucs' last offseason, which he just renegotiated. That option won't be picked up for certain, Lepsis will either renegotiate next offseason or he will be allowed to test the free agent market. It's just salary cap finaggling.

Thanks for clearing that up. That cleary means that the Broncos are planning on moving Foster to LT in 2006.

The most likely outcome is that the Broncos won't pick up the option, thus Lepsis will likely be a FA next year and can become filthy rich from some team.

I don't see Lepsis getting paid all that much next off-season. If anything he'll get a deal that would be a liitle bit more than what he would get on the last 3 years of the deal he just signed. If a team signs him they will probably be signing him as a RT.

I just don't see the reason to panic about our T situation. If Cornell Green can't take over at RT I think the Broncos can find a RT in FA, or draft one next year. We have more pressing needs that must be addressed right now, but if we can solve a few through FA I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos drafted a T in the mid to late rounds this year.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-28-2005, 07:28 PM

I tell ya who. We draft that guy (Young?) from BYU in the second round and convert him to tackle next year. He's 315 lbs and runs a 4.80 40 after doing 43 reps. This guy looks like a machine! His 10 yd split was also like 1.70 which is better than Gallery's was last year. Hmm, if we're looking for o-line this guy should be at the top of our list. Technique can be taught, this dude has serious raw God-given ability.

JRWIZ
03-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Got it all wrong folks. Foster to LT, Carswell to RT 2006.

PRBronco
03-01-2005, 12:58 AM
If i'm not mistaken, i believe Razor and alwilsonownsu were the guys reporting from training camp, and i'm pretty sure they both said that tyson clabo looked good as a tackle. Maybe that's what management has in mind. If we really want an OT though, next year's draft is the year to pick one up, there's some beauties. Same with DT actually. Crap, this year sucks.

DPg2003
03-01-2005, 01:13 AM
If i'm not mistaken, i believe Razor and alwilsonownsu were the guys reporting from training camp, and i'm pretty sure they both said that tyson clabo looked good as a tackle. Maybe that's what management has in mind.

Yea he definitely has the size for it and I believe he played some T in college as well. I'm not worried about our T's, it's shoring up our interior that we really need to be concerned about. I have faith though, and I can't wait until the off-season really gets going.

If we really want an OT though, next year's draft is the year to pick one up, there's some beauties. Same with DT actually. Crap, this year sucks.

That's why the Broncos are looking for a 1st Round pick in 2006 for Trevor Pryce. Hopefully we can pull a deal off with a team that has a bad season in 2005. :D