PDA

View Full Version : What is your theory on how a team should be built?

JoRo
03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Like offense first or defense or what?

I personally belive I would best fit under a coach like John Fox, I would prefer a tough defense and run it down the opponets throats. I think a strong special teams really helps your team as a whole. The offense need not have one "star" player on it, jus blue collar workers who show up and do their jobs. I wouldnt be a type of guy to want to get every star player I could. I mean, why waste 10 extra mill on say P. Manning when Jake Delhomme or Jake Plummer can get by when they have the running game to help them? Just my opinion though.

What would you do? You cant have it all.

Milehigh117
03-01-2005, 05:44 PM
If I were starting a team, my top priorities would be the lines on either side of the ball. Quality lineman are hard to come by.

Dream
03-01-2005, 07:12 PM
"The game is played and won in the trenches"....John Facenda, NFL Films

Awesome theory; not only did you come up with a quote from John Facenda, you completely ignored the question. "Your theory." -- not somebody elses.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Well, assuming I would inherit a roster full of players, I would build my team around who I have and their skill sets. I would never try and build a team into my perfect ideal because I don't have one. So many different types of teams are successful, it all depends on playing a scheme that takes advantage of your talent.

If I ran the Broncos, 3-4. Ravens, 4-3. It's all about the talent on the roster and adapting to players who surprise you and step up. Its not about my scheme as a GM or coach.

I would tend to draft players that can do several things good, if not one thing great. A great blitzer is not as valuable as a great tackler and excellent coverage player to me. The only thing I would enforce is I want multi-dimensional players, so I can adapt schemes mid-game and swap in for injuries without worrying about carrying the right extra position player on the roster.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Offense is built from the Tackles, Defense from the corners. D-line being third most important IMO.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Broncology and Razor, the two of you are some of the better posters on this site. It's pretty silly you two can't agree to disagree and just debate each other. I'd rather have you guys try and show who has the bigger c*ck by detailing intelligent rebuttals then tossing 3rd grade insults. Sheesh.

Jared
03-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Inside out, both ways.

So what I mean is, that you start with your interior lineman on both sides of the ball and work your way out and away. A well coached o-line, and a dominating d-line can do wonders for the skill position players.

Theoretically, you could sustain longer drives because your running and passing game would be more efficient. A QB with more time to make a decision makes less mistakes, and the receivers get easier throws to catch. ALl fo thsi is great for teh defense, because they get to stay fresh. So a fresh d-line late in a close game is so important. They can stop the run, or apply pressure more easily. This benefits the linebackers and defensive backs. Also, in theory, by the 4th quarter, the opponent is playing catch up and is a one dimensional team, which also helps your DB's.

OrangePeel
03-02-2005, 12:21 AM
My theory is this

duplicate what the ravens have done on the defensive side of the ball, and then work our way from their

if i had to tell you all my moves if i were the GM they would be

1) Resign Kenoy, Hamilton, Cooper, Hape, Leach, Palepoi, and Putzier
2) Trade Lynch, and Sykes to Colts for 3rd/4thround pick
3) Trade Pryce, and Droughns for Warren and 2nd round pick
4) Postions to Focus on in Draft: DL, TE, LB, and QB (in that order)
5) Free Agency: Tom Rouen, Allen Rossum, Pat Williams, and Bubba Franks (not all of them, just who to be interested in)