PDA

View Full Version : Gary Baxter?

JohnElway#7
03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Do you guys think Shanny may be goin after another shutdown corner like Gary Baxter? He's a big guy so if we do end up loosin Kennedy we could convert him to safety. I think he'd be a great addition to our D. Let me know what you guys think.

EMCF
03-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Baxter is no shutdown corner, as I think Razor will agree. He had a decent year, notched one INT I think. Walls, hell, even Herndon, would be better at the LCB slot.

rush_limbaughII
03-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Do you guys think Shanny may be goin after another shutdown corner like Gary Baxter? He's a big guy so if we do end up loosin Kennedy we could convert him to safety. I think he'd be a great addition to our D. Let me know what you guys think.

D-line first priority. Corners maybe later to add depth.

JohnElway#7
03-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Herndon or Walls are not better than Baxter. He is a good corner and would be great at either CB or Safety.

EMCF
03-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Herndon or Walls are not better than Baxter. He is a good corner and would be great at either CB or Safety.

He was played at safety this year, I believe due to his poor performance at CB. Still interested?

JohnElway#7
03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Not sure if you read what I wrote, but it stated he would be a good Safety if we didn't resign kennedy.

24spellsD
i agree baxter is up and coming and is a pretty good cover corner. he learned alot from Mcalister and would learn ever more from bailey. hes big and an awesome open field tackler.

EMCF
Not sure if you read what I wrote, but it stated he would be a good Safety if we didn't resign kennedy.

So would Sam Brandon, or Ferguson. A big ole "meh" to Baxter.

JohnElway#7
03-01-2005, 05:49 PM
If Baxter sucks so bad at corner why does the guy on NFL.com have him rated higher than Smoot and all them. He is second behind Samari Rolle to be exact.

JohnElway#7
03-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Heres the link...look for yourself.http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8242133

EMCF
03-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Heres the link...look for yourself.http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8242133

It's crap that he is ahead of Smoot. Either way, we don't have cap room for a CB, so this is a useless argument.

JohnElway#7
03-01-2005, 05:54 PM
I think we would have enough room once pryce is traded. I also think Baxter may take a pay cut so he can play with Bailey and our defense.

EMCF
03-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I think we would have enough room once pryce is traded. I also think Baxter may take a pay cut so he can play with Bailey and our defense.

Once Pryce is cut we will have 6-7 million in cap room, enough for a couple minor FA moves and our draft class.

urinal_cake
03-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Once Pryce is cut we will have 6-7 million in cap room, enough for a couple minor FA moves and our draft class.

according to this site, we already have $7 mil of cap room...™

Link (http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp)

anyway, I think the D-line & FS should be prioriry on the defense

EMCF
03-01-2005, 06:02 PM
according to this site, we already have $7 mil of cap room...™

Link (http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp)

anyway, I think the D-line & FS should be prioriry on the defense

Interesting, so trading Pryce should get us to about, say 10 million?

JoRo
03-01-2005, 06:05 PM

Shutdown corner is used way to much. Back before this last season with the POE ruling, he might have been one. But after the ruling: There is no such thing anymore. The NFL has made it sure that the offense can score (makes you wonder how bad washington would have been in 03 like that......geez) Deion himself probably would have had problems in his prime last year. I know that not all corners mug the recievers, but the POE rules made it so they couldnt even touch them. I dont know about you but that would hurt any cb. I know that it is unlikely and I know it will sound like whining, but it does really seem to me they did that directly to help Indy and teams like them. Who are only as good as their recievers....

Just my 2 cents

urinal_cake
03-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Interesting, so trading Pryce should get us to about, say 10 million?

I'm not sure... someone else will need to answer that one™

Helderht_
03-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I think that without pryce we'll be somethink like 7mi under the cap

Broncofan#7
03-01-2005, 08:21 PM
I think resigning Lenny Walls would be cheaper and a better fit to the team than Baxter. If anything we need to put Lynch in his natural position(so he can do what he does best) and upgrade the FS spot.