PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy to Detroit Lions

#1 Griffin Fan
03-02-2005, 02:55 PM
ESPN's John Clayton reports the Lions have reached an agreement with Denver safety Kennoy Kennedy.
He was the top young safety on the market, and the Broncos desperately wanted to keep him. Detroit will no longer seek to trade for Jacksonville's Donavin Darius. Mar. 2 - 4:02 pm et

dbdom
03-02-2005, 02:57 PM
ESPN's John Clayton reports the Lions have reached an agreement with Denver safety Kennoy Kennedy.
He was the top young safety on the market, and the Broncos desperately wanted to keep him. Detroit will no longer seek to trade for Jacksonville's Donavin Darius. Mar. 2 - 4:02 pm et

kinda saw it coming, it was either him or john lynch, we werent going to play 2 SS's back there again, and john lynch's locked down in a contract and a seasoned vet, he gets the nod really, plus detroit is REALLY desperate for any form of safety help, so they wanted the top guy there who is kennoy kennedy since donovan darius got franchised

JoRo
03-02-2005, 02:58 PM

Boy he musta REAAAAAALLLLLLY wanted to come back here lol

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
We knew this was going to happen too. I'm 2 for 2 on the Jags getting Heyward and the Lions getting Kennedy. Now, lets see if I'm right with Droughns staying with Denver, Herndon being plucked away, and Putzier being signed to an offer sheet by another team. Also, waiting to see if I was right on predicting Hamilton would receive a 5 million on average (w/bonus prorated) contract. Also waiting to see if I was right with predicting Heyward will at least receive a 5 year, 25 million, + 5 million signing bonus deal from the Jags. And the final prediction, the Broncos will sign Marquise Douglas for a 4-5 million on average contract.

West
03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
that leaves it wind open for us to get Darren Sharper :D

Aija
03-02-2005, 03:00 PM
I like it .. one neandrothal in the secondary is enough. glad to see him go. Finally we can get a real cover safety in the secondary. Let him go and miss tackles somewhere else.

Shanahanaramjam
03-02-2005, 03:01 PM
People need to stop it with that Sharper crap. He is not a good fit here.

MilitantDBFan
03-02-2005, 03:02 PM
good more spending money. Gotta spend that dough somewhere.

West
i didnt know an all pro safety wasnt a good fit here...BREAKING NEWS...WE DONT HAVE A COVER SAFETY!

#1 Griffin Fan
that leaves it wind open for us to get Darren Sharper :D
Doubt that's going to happen.

OhNoKoolAid
03-02-2005, 03:03 PM
We knew this was going to happen too. I'm 2 for 2 on the Jags getting Heyward and the Lions getting Kennedy. Now, lets see if I'm right with Droughns staying with Denver, Herndon being plucked away, and Putzier being signed to an offer sheet by another team. Also, waiting to see if I was right on predicting Hamilton would receive a 5 million on average (w/bonus prorated) contract. Also waiting to see if I was right with predicting Heyward will at least receive a 5 year, 25 million, + 5 million signing bonus deal from the Jags. And the final prediction, the Broncos will sign Marquise Douglas for a 4-5 million on average contract.

I could see Douglas for 2.5-3 million, or perhaps Okeafor for 4-5 million to play down when line shuffles and strong side in 3-4. He showed is versatility last year lining up in several positions and sometimes pulled that "joker" position that Kearse did some. Also, I see Putzier getting some action, but ultimately retained by Denver.

Snk16
03-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Hm........it seems that we now have some free cap.

BioCore
03-02-2005, 03:05 PM
is there a link?

JoRo
03-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Hm........it seems that we now have some free cap.

4.5 mill ( I belive) ? Thats like one or two bargain based FAs.......... WE NEED TO TRADE PRYCE! I loved him as a player when he was here. But he needs to go, my guess is for him to go to one of the three teams that wanted hayward will try for pryce (arizona/minny......... oak? not sure.......but i read that somehwere about hayward)

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-02-2005, 03:22 PM
This is not a done deal yet. Will it happen, almost certainly. On other reported fronts by Clayton, the Chiefs are about to sign Trotter, the 49ers OT Jennings, LB Bell with the Giants, Jordan with the Raiders, and Cowboys DT Ferguson.

Aija
03-02-2005, 03:26 PM
u in kc and i dont know that ??

Well i'm in philly and everyone knows that get a radio or tv dude

jaxguy177
03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
This is a Smokescreen by the lions to make the Jags Trade Darius for nothing

BroncoStampede
03-02-2005, 03:31 PM
If the Chiefs sign Trotter and Rolle, they would definentely be dangerous. The key word here is IF.

speedracer2411
03-02-2005, 04:31 PM
gosh that sucks i really loved him, he was a great player, but now we get to look forward to the broncos most likly signing a saftey

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 04:33 PM
that sucks. can i get a link?

NeedDLinemen
03-02-2005, 04:34 PM
4.5 mill ( I belive) ? Thats like one or two bargain based FAs.......... WE NEED TO TRADE PRYCE! I loved him as a player when he was here. But he needs to go, my guess is for him to go to one of the three teams that wanted hayward will try for pryce (arizona/minny......... oak? not sure.......but i read that somehwere about hayward)

Champ Bailey's 1st year cap hit was $1.9 million believe it or not so I'd say $4.5 mil as you've quoted can get you more than 2 bargain players. We're probably around that figure in true terms after the RFA tenders, draft pool and Hamilton's deal are worked in. The Pryce trade is pivotal in getting players in, his trade would send our free cap space soaring to $10 million, which would be more than enough to land 2-3 starters and a host of back-up players. The problem with the Broncos is that in FA terms there aren't that many top players out there in positions of need except OG. Available DE/DT FA's are adequate at best you only need to look at who was ranked No1 (Reggie) and to throw $5-$10 million signing bonuses at them will be a waste of cap space down the road.

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 04:58 PM
I'd rather dump Lynch and keep Kenoy. We need a true FS not two SS.

bronco30
03-02-2005, 05:01 PM
if this turns out to be true that kennedy is a lion....is there only 3 left lynch, ferguson n brandon (who is a RFA) and i beleive ferguson signed a 2 yr contract last year n lynch is near the end...so next year all 3 could be gone...

hope we draft 1 and mayb sign 1 in FA...

KnightOLB53
03-02-2005, 05:02 PM
So who is going to fill in Kenoys shoes?

OrangeShadow
03-02-2005, 05:06 PM
fergeuson(sp)

Bronco D
03-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Come on Detroit close the deal !! I always thought Kennedy was more of a liability than a playmaker. This would allow more playing time for Ferguson, who isnt a real big hitter, but can make plays & create turnovers which we desperately need !

Aija
03-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Come on Detroit close the deal !! I always thought Kennedy was more of a liability than a playmaker. This would allow more playing time for Ferguson, who isnt a real big hitter, but can make plays & create turnovers which we desperately need !

man i love that post. I practically hate the guy. He's a bum a cover safety (converted) who cant cover my grandma (and she's dead God rest her soul) from the time i heard they were interested I crossed my fingers the guy cant get out of denver too quickly if you ask me.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 06:59 PM

If he creates Turnovers..........please show..........i clearly remember us having 9 total interceptions the year he was one of our safetys

Aija
03-02-2005, 07:00 PM
the guy has two ints in five years. He has more fines than ints. He's an overpaid bum.

Colorado69
03-02-2005, 07:05 PM
If you don't think Ferguson is a big hitter ask a certain Steeler RB that seldom fumbles (Jerome Bettis). Have you forgotten Ferguson's hit that caused the fumble that allowed the Broncos to beat the Steelers the last time they played? The coaching staff is high on Ferguson because he has good range and is intelligent. He is a better cover FS than Kennedy and will work great with Lynch. They were loaded with safeties at the beginning of this year, so they probably aren't going to spend too much to keep Kennedy. A late round draft pick will help the depth.

Aija
03-02-2005, 07:10 PM
If you don't think Ferguson is a big hitter ask a certain Steeler RB that seldom fumbles (Jerome Bettis). Have you forgotten Ferguson's hit that caused the fumble that allowed the Broncos to beat the Steelers the last time they played? The coaching staff is high on Ferguson because he has good range and is intelligent. He is a better cover FS than Kennedy and will work great with Lynch. They were loaded with safeties at the beginning of this year, so they probably aren't going to spend too much to keep Kennedy. A late round draft pick will help the depth.

duhh i've always preferred ferguson . He plays with some brain. Kennedy is a neandrothal. All brawn no damn brain . Once again i will be relieved to see the punk go. He'll be someone elses problem

Android
03-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Kennedy's agent said that the agreement between the lions and Kenoy Kennedy was a bogus report on a lions web page.
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/citadel/SIG=11nnf972a/*http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=101&p=2&c=356574&refid=1

atruebroncosfan
03-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Nick ferguson is better anyways, he hits just as hard, but he's twice as fast

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Nice find. Do you have the ability to read the ful story? It costs like 35 bucks :eek:

Aija
03-02-2005, 08:15 PM
that is from sporting news that is just a cover . he dosent want to look like a bad guy. which he isnt . he took the money and ran . which is his mo he's a gutless punk

JoRo
03-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Nice find. Do you have the ability to read the ful story? It costs like 35 bucks :eek:

I think sites that charge you to read them are stupid........ what unless its cheap or a very updated site its a complete waste of time and money.

Jus MO

Android
03-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Nah. I wish i could read it as well. Stumbled across it while looking for Free Agent news.

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Better be a damn good article lol

tuibroncos
03-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Man, i hope that is true, kennoy is the first bronco i met he is my boy, i cant see him playing for the lions.

West
03-02-2005, 08:23 PM
eh well we're just delaying the enedivble...he'll be gone...

but nice GB16

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 08:25 PM
I think sites that charge you to read them are stupid........ what unless its cheap or a very updated site its a complete waste of time and money.

Jus MO

The stupidest one is CBS Sportsline. They take articles from Denver Post and RMN and charge you to read them, when you can just go to the sites for free and read the same stuff.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2005, 08:36 PM
IS , that John Lynch came here specifically to play FS. Tampa had him as the SS all those years and he didn't like it. Lynch prefers to play FS which he considers his "natural position". I have to disagree w/Johnny boy on that one, he's a SS if I ever saw one. I just hope if Kennedy leaves, John won't be adverse to moving back to strong safety.

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 08:37 PM
The stupidest one is CBS Sportsline. They take articles from Denver Post and RMN and charge you to read them, when you can just go to the sites for free and read the same stuff.

I know man. They charge for articles that you can easily access by going to prosportsdaily.com.

KnightOLB53
03-02-2005, 08:39 PM
I dont think they will

GIVEME6
03-02-2005, 08:40 PM
So Lynch hated playing a position for the Bucs that made him a Pro Bowler and a household name? WTF? He'll get over it...especially since Ferguson is better in coverage.

ludo
03-02-2005, 08:41 PM
we still have ferguson, so rly, pollard would be a great pick up, and just adding low priced defensive guys would be great

ferguson can be a starter

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 08:42 PM
If Lynch is the team player that I think he is, he will gladly move to SS. He has to realize from looking at film that he does not have the speed to follow receivers around the field.

tcron1971
03-02-2005, 08:52 PM
IS , I just hopem if Kennedy leaves, John won't be adverse to moving back to strong safety..

I know that Kennedy has not signed with the Lions yet, but my question is, when are the Broncos going to realize that when they have some good talent on defense that they should (no pun intended) pony up to money to keep these guys in Denver? I refer to Reagor, Heyward, Deltha (even though they sent him to Cinnci) and defending the ball rather than relying on the offense to keep us in the game. I am glad that Lynch and Champ are here, but it seems that every year we let someone slip through our fingers. Then again, maybe I am just dreaming this whole idea up in my crazy head.

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Here is the link that has Kennedy saying he wants to come back and he would give Denver a chance to match. http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_3587506,00.html

If you read in that article he says "It's not about making friends, it's about setting myself up for the rest of my life." I mean, I know it's a business and all, but you would he would make some friends if he played on a team for 5 years. This dude is all about money and he's gonna get it, the good thing is that it's not going to be from the Broncos.

dbrdcb1
03-02-2005, 09:07 PM
That's right on Broncos Update they posted that Kennedy's agent called the deal with the lions bogus. I guess Kennedy going to the lions wasn't a sure thing after all.

Story

Van McElroy, the agent for former Denver Broncos safety Kenoy Kennedy, flatly denied that he and his client have reached agreement in principle on a contract with the Lions. McElroy called "bogus" a report by ESPN reporter John Clayton. However, sources in Denver have told Scout.com's Mike Fowler that Kennedy will visit with Detroit on Monday with "the expectation that Detroit will make a strong push" to sign the 27-year old star. McElroy admitted he and Detroit are in the process of making preliminary arrangements for a visit this weekend.

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 09:08 PM
it looks like you pay the subscription fee for that website. that's cool. thanks for the info.

EddyMac87
03-02-2005, 09:11 PM
i still don't think he's coming back here...

bleedbluorange
03-02-2005, 09:12 PM
i still don't think he's coming back here...If the Gold is coming back then he just took kenoy's money

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 09:12 PM
maybe we can hammer out some deal for ed reed

Android
03-02-2005, 09:23 PM
maybe we can hammer out some deal for ed reed
haha man you are funny today. maybe we can trade pryce for em huh?

Fat Joe
03-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Yea, D. Darius is going there I beleive.

GameTime
03-03-2005, 04:58 PM
First of all Kenoy doesn't even visitDetriot until NEXT WEEK.

Nor has he visited with the Falcons....yet.

urinal_cake
03-03-2005, 05:03 PM
If Lynch is the team player that I think he is, he will gladly move to SS. He has to realize from looking at film that he does not have the speed to follow receivers around the field.

I agree, Lynch played SS w/ Tampa, and most of his career. It only makes sense to put him where he's always proven to be effective. Hell letting Kennedy walk is the best thing that can happen to the safety position IMO™

GameTime
03-04-2005, 08:59 AM
And Kenoy walking from Denver is the best thing for his career IMO. He needs to be with a team where he's going to be THE SS. SS are primarly used to stop the run and protect the middle of the field which he does quiet well. Denver philosophy at the safety position really needs to improve. Kenoy and Lych are the same type of safety. Lych will perform better next season if he is strictly strong safety. People say that Noy outplayed him this year. Lynch will do better at his position main position next year and so will Kenoy.