PDA

View Full Version : Ian Gold Signing

Conde
03-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Don't know if this has been put up but Ian Gold is back. I Love It! :cheers:

JohnElway#7
03-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I am watching NFL Total Access and Adam Schefter has just said Denver has resigned Ian Gold and they now have the fastest line backing core in the league. And with us switching to a 3-4 he says we should have some great success next year even without Hayward and Kennedy.

#1 Griffin Fan
03-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Provide a Link?

bigshoot
03-02-2005, 06:31 PM
nice move the broncos will have the fastes set of LB in the nfl. Golds biggest assets will come on passing downs and in his ability to line up anyware in our 3-4 d. finally a good sign from the broncos in freeagency.

EddyMac87
link please...

WackoBronco
They just announced it on NFL Network :)

#1 Griffin Fan
03-02-2005, 06:32 PM
They just announced it on NFL Network :)
Sweet, any thoughts on how big the contract is and for how many years?

JoRo
03-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Sweet, any thoughts on how big the contract is and for how many years?

Hopefully not bigger than als or were done for

JoRo
03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I am watching NFL Total Access and Adam Schefter has just said Denver has resigned Ian Gold and they now have the fastest line backing core in the league. And with us switching to a 3-4 he says we should have some great success next year even without Hayward and Kennedy.

dude we arent switchin to 3-4 full time, plus even in 3-4 u need some sort of DECENT ends........we dotn have any decent right now, anton may be alright if he can put on a lil weight tho

The Dark Knight
03-02-2005, 06:35 PM
What the ****?

Why do we need Gold when we have DJ Williams???

Williams is bound to be a stud this coming year.

Conde
03-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Yeah, it's was announce on NFL Total Access. We're going to have the fastest and best LB Group in the NFL. I'm loving it and I'm so excited about it. Makes me feel better about this since Reggie Hayward will be going to sign with the Jaguars most likely. They'll pay Reggie $5 million a year with a $10 million signing bonus but I don't know how many years he was offered.

The Dark Knight
03-02-2005, 06:37 PM
So it's gonna be Williams, Wilson and Gold?

Aija
I told u cats before that spragan will be gone. this is a decent move but it still dosent do much as far as getting pressure on qb's are concerned. Lets hope they didnt waste a boatload of money on him .

JoRo
Yeah, it's was announce on NFL Total Access. We're going to have the fastest and best LB Group in the NFL. I'm loving it and I'm so excited about it. Makes me feel better about this since Reggie Hayward will be going to sign with the Jaguars most likely. They'll pay Reggie $5 million a year with a $10 million signing bonus but I don't know how many years he was offered.

Wow, we wasted a 2nd round pick in the 2003 draft.......... just thinkin about that now lol

JoRo
03-02-2005, 06:38 PM
What the ****?

If we overpaid for Gold im gonna be po'ed cuz we really didnt need him all taht badly

OrangeShadow
03-02-2005, 06:39 PM
wow thats an ill linebacking core

JoRo
THis was our big signing? Oh Yay lets make everyone happy by blowing all of our cap gettin the LB we tossed out last year because he was expendable........

we deserve to have a crappy record this year

OrangeShadow
think of that LB core al dj and gold

Aija
03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
good post man. they seem to be chasing their tails and dont know what the hell they are doing. First they let go ellis johnson dont re sign luther ellis they have fatefehi, davis and then they go pick up warren all along knowing they are gonna lose hayward and trade pryce. Then talk of letting herndon walk, and now they go out and get a linebacker that is really good but not top priority and I am sure that he's being paid well. The only good thing they did was not resign the bum kennedy.

Orange_Crush21
03-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Yeah, how stupid it is to sign a linebacker that is proven in our own system and we only let go of because of injury concerns, now that he played well last year and proved that he wasn't hampered by his injury we resign him? Gee, what a dumb move.......

Oh, I'm sure that Gold will be the only one we sign as well, our big signing. By the way I can't wait until Mike hires you as GM, you clearly know what you are doing........

Conde
03-02-2005, 06:43 PM
wow thats an ill linebacking coreNo Doubt! We gonna be so sick with these guys as our LB's, we got the flue right now.

Colorado69
03-02-2005, 06:44 PM
With the addition of Ian Gold, it would make sense to use the 3-4 alot more. The LB core is excellent with Pierce and Wilson in the middle and Gold and Williams outside. Can't run up the middle and can't get outside. The strenth and speed will be impressive. Either Gold or DJ can cover most any TE, so the safeties get some help. It will also reduce the DL problems, as fewer players will be required. Might be a quick fix for the lack of DL depth.

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 06:44 PM
I wonder if Gold will get 52 back from DJ.

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 06:45 PM
I made reference to how stupid they are by letting everyone walk and replacing them (or lack therof) with career backups in my "ticked at the broncos" thread. im still piseed. but gold is gonna give us some dope LBs.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Yeah, how stupid it is to sign a linebacker that is proven in our own system and we only let go of because of injury concerns, now that he played well last year and proved that he wasn't hampered by his injury we resign him? Gee, what a dumb move.......

Oh, I'm sure that Gold will be the only one we sign as well, our big signing. By the way I can't wait until Mike hires you as GM, you clearly know what you are doing........

Do you know how much Gold has prolly asked for? I dont know about you, but the only reason he didnt stay here lastyear was because he was tryin to earn the contract as big as Al Wilsons..... If we did sign him, we dont have any cap room left. That means that chances are (unless we can get rid of pryce) we have probably no to negative cap room right now, or it is so backloaded that we are going to be the titans in 2-5 years.

THERES SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO! And once that happens, bye bye Shanny, seeinhow he wont stay if we have to rebuild......... so we really will be in the toilet............ but i cant wait to win the superbowl this year.......seeing how linebacker was the only thing keepin us from it right? we have no other holes on our roster at all! Nope not right guard, or safety......or corner..............I can see detriot now! :coffee:

Dean
03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
That certainly surprises me. I never expected to see him back. One- I didn't think that he would consider it and two- I didn't think Shanahan would allow it. I guess live and learn.

I am pleased to see him back assuming that he is not too expensive. If we can't cover the field with the speed that we have at LB no one can.

Now please get some pass rush, a P/KO man, and a big guard. Oh and a cover safety would be a bonus. I want it all.

Conde
THis was our big signing? Oh Yay lets make everyone happy by blowing all of our cap gettin the LB we tossed out last year because he was expendable........

we deserve to have a crappy record this yearLike you or anybody else on this board knows what he signed him for. I'm sure it wasn't a big number that will hurt our cap. I just hope we can get Jeff Garcia so he can replace Jake Plummer by Half Time of Week One.

Chaji
I wonder if Gold will get 52 back from DJ.
He doesn't deserve it, IMO.

brom66an6
03-02-2005, 06:49 PM
The question I have is if Williams or Gold will change positions.

Colorado69
03-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Have they even announced Ian Gold's cost? Have they announced what they get for Pryce? Have they announced what they get for Drouhns? Relax guys, there is alot of action ahead and the REAL Bronco staff knows alot more than any journalist or monday-morning QB. I can't believe all the negative views. They haven't even had the draft yet. Are you moaning about the picks yet?????

West
03-02-2005, 06:50 PM
YES! i was so disappointed with Spraghan...he cant play worth nothing...now all we need is a MLB..maybe Kendrell Bell possibly? depends on how much hes asking

MilitantDBFan
03-02-2005, 06:52 PM
I told yall. I told all of yall. Nice pick up for shannahan righting a wrong. Mat what do you think. You said it wouldnt happen and now it has. Yes Sir.

tuibroncos
03-02-2005, 06:53 PM
OK i think we all just need to calm down. I like everyone else, am a little puzzled by what is going on right now. Now having said that, i think we give shanny and ted the benefit of the doubt untill everything gets settled

Aija
03-02-2005, 06:53 PM
no way bell is coming . the broncos are high on pierce and he should see alot of time . Plus they have chuckwarah.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 06:54 PM
think of that LB core al dj and gold

Its about the same as Mobley Al and Gold in 03

Conde
03-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Anyone else heard it? :coffee:Son, I'm not lyin' to you. If you don't have the NFL Network, I suggest you get it. Anyway, he's back and if you don't believe you can just wait until the Broncos Homepage drops the news to you.

Orange_Crush21
Do you know how much Gold has prolly asked for? I dont know about you, but the only reason he didnt stay here lastyear was because he was tryin to earn the contract as big as Al Wilsons..... If we did sign him, we dont have any cap room left. That means that chances are (unless we can get rid of pryce) we have probably no to negative cap room right now, or it is so backloaded that we are going to be the titans in 2-5 years.

THERES SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO! And once that happens, bye bye Shanny, seeinhow he wont stay if we have to rebuild......... so we really will be in the toilet............ but i cant wait to win the superbowl this year.......seeing how linebacker was the only thing keepin us from it right? we have no other holes on our roster at all! Nope not right guard, or safety......or corner..............I can see detriot now! :coffee:

I can see where you're coming from but I tend to disagree. From what I've noticed from our management is they don't tend to overpay players anymore, I think its bit them in the butt too many times before.

The signing of Gold tells me that either one of two things have happened. One, the Pryce deal is all but complete. Two, Gold knowing that he has a ton of money coming to him now from his signing bonus in TB, which would lead me to believe that he wouldn't necessarily ask for as much money this year to come back to the place where he played his greatest football.

West
yes i know we have them but are we sold on them? Bell is proven and if we get him we would have the best 3-4 LB crew in the league! Dont even say nothing about injuries because we just signed Gold and hes had plenty of them

Aija
Its about the same as Mobley Al and Gold in 03

think so dj is a bit faster then mobley but they are pretty much the same player.

Aija
03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
I can see where you're coming from but I tend to disagree. From what I've noticed from our management is they don't tend to overpay players anymore, I think its bit them in the butt too many times before.

The signing of Gold tells me that either one of two things have happened. One, the Pryce deal is all but complete. Two, Gold knowing that he has a ton of money coming to him now from his signing bonus in TB, which would lead me to believe that he wouldn't necessarily ask for as much money this year to come back to the place where he played his greatest football.

good point about the bonus. Lets hope he is signed for cheap for a couple of years so the lb core can stay together for a while.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Which is why i said about.......

we have the highest paid LB Corp in league

YIPEE!

Broncosinindy
03-02-2005, 06:58 PM
they did say taht DJ coming out of college could play at any lineacker position .. i wonder if it will have any impact on his ability playing strong side

i have mixed feelings on this if it is true .. we did pick up warren to shore up some need at dline and there is always the draft to pick up another d linemen ... i dotn like cutting pryce i would like to see him restructure if it all possible .. and play him at end ... and get a defensive end in the draft ... on the other hand i think we need a decent third reciever and a third corner back..

i also think that kennoy was not a HUGE loss it will have impact but i feel we need a cover saftey ... due to bringing in ian

just my oppionon

Aija
03-02-2005, 06:58 PM
bell is gonna cost alot man and teams will make a run at him. Philly being number one. I think we stay away from him.

Aija
03-02-2005, 06:59 PM
i second that . goodbye kennoy wont miss u. the guy was a liability. One hard hitter in the secondary is enough.

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
03-02-2005, 07:00 PM
holy crap.our LB's will definently own.Gold is 10x better than spragan and sykes.Last year Gold was a play maker he had a pick returned for TD and i think it will be a good year for our defence IF we get some D line help.

West
I know but does anyone know what hes asking?

BroncosB2B
Which is why i said about.......

we have the highest paid LB Corp in league

YIPEE!

When we should be concerned with the frickin D-line.

Broncosinindy
03-02-2005, 07:01 PM
i would imagne a pretty hefty sum .. as far as precise numbers i would not have a clue... plus its time for peirce to stand up

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:02 PM

Al Wilson: 49 mill for 7 years........

Champ Bailey: 63 mill for 7 years.............highest paid cb in history

Rod Smith: 59 mill for 7 years........

Jake Plummer 30 mill for 7 years...........

No we have learned our lesson

FO SHO!

edit: I know you all think i am jus flamin, but look at most of my posts, i dont often just talk about how stupid a move is, but i really think this is one of those times

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 07:03 PM
When we should be concerned with the frickin D-line.

Is there a link to this yet?

West
03-02-2005, 07:03 PM
sorry man but that was a complete bust... plus a slow LB isnt our FORTE

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Is there a link to this yet?

no, because no one is working at the papers anymore. they are out eating there mcdonalds and calling it a night.

OrangeShadow
03-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Would you rather us drastically overpay for hayward? Hes not worth 5 million a year.

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 07:07 PM
i'd rather us get a quality d-lineman because that is the most pressing need right now.

Aija
03-02-2005, 07:07 PM
go sign a de or a safety before going at a linebacker. thats all we are saying . I think pretty much everyone here feels the same way about hayward. Sad but he had to go we cant go overpaying for the guy . But a line backer. thats straight out of left field.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:08 PM
All of us.........

How bout we take the smart way, like Carolina or maybe New England, (even though they have had next to no success in recent years right? ) maybe we should not go an spend a ton of money for one player, and instead find role players and cheaper guys who can play their spot an grow and become better, not a guy lookin to fill his own pocket who could give a damn less how the team does (Remeber Rod in 03 talkin about how we need to purge our team of those kind of guys? )

Broncosinindy
03-02-2005, 07:10 PM
i'd rather us get a quality d-lineman because that is the most pressing need right now.

we picke dup warren for a fourth roundr and a cheap salaray i think that is putting some well spent money

jletourneau
03-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Straight out of left field, maybe. But when I picture Gold on the field while he was with the Broncos I remember him getting his hands on a lot of passes. He closed a gap as quick as anyone in coverage and created tip balls which DEN needs for turnovers. Plus, any speed at linebacker to cover the middle of the field allows Lynch and Ferguson to help on the outside when our CB's are beat on double moves. Gold provides an extra security blanket in coverage.

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 07:12 PM
we picke dup warren for a fourth roundr and a cheap salaray i think that is putting some well spent money

our DE situation isnt very good.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:13 PM
our DE situation isnt very good.

What are these DEs taht you speak of? What is a DE? :confused: Can you eat it? :goofy:

Dream
03-02-2005, 07:13 PM
It's not any worse than it was last year. Pryce was the only "proven" player on our team then and whether or not Hayward would have a good season again was in question. We're going to get some more picks with the trading of Pryce and Droughns (hopefully) and we'll be able to shore up some youth along the defensive line.

bronx_2003
03-02-2005, 07:14 PM
we ARE going to the 3-4, all our moves show this and if you are still not a believer then naive is your middle name, no offence.

we have wilson, pierce, syke and spraghan playing as the LB's but only ONE person who can rush the QB (essential for the 3-4 and the LB's pass rush and DL takes up blockers, warren does this well) and that is DJ - we NEEDED some1 else who could rush and so we picked up ian gold who is lightning quick. a good signing as long as we did not overpay him

i hope he ditches the postons!

btw - i have not seen a link but trust in my fellow broncomaniacs! :beer:

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 07:15 PM
watch his contract be 6 year 44 million with 11 million up front

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:15 PM
no, because no one is working at the papers anymore. they are out eating there mcdonalds and calling it a night.

Or maybe Wendy's Theyre open late...........

For that matter so is Taco Bell now

Dream
03-02-2005, 07:16 PM
I doubt his base salary is more than two to two point five a year; he probably got a multi-million dollar bonus.

Broncosinindy
well as it stands right now they are gonna use the 3-4 parttime .. bt if you see suceces iwth them running it look for it to be a staple

JoRo
we ARE going to the 3-4, all our moves show this and if you are still not a believer then naive is your middle name, no offence.

we have wilson, pierce, syke and spraghan playing as the LB's but only ONE person who can rush the QB (essential for the 3-4 and the LB's pass rush and DL takes up blockers, warren does this well) and that is DJ - we NEEDED some1 else who could rush and so we picked up ian gold who is lightning quick. a good signing as long as we did not overpay him

Gold is 223 lbs........hell be a great passrusher now without any dl to protect him huh

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Or maybe Wendy's Theyre open late...........

For that matter so is Taco Bell now
lol :laugh:

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:18 PM
It's not any worse than it was last year. Pryce was the only "proven" player on our team then and whether or not Hayward would have a good season again was in question. We're going to get some more picks with the trading of Pryce and Droughns (hopefully) and we'll be able to shore up some youth along the defensive line.

It is worse than lastyear.........or do we have some hidden proben player on our defensive line this year............

Is he under that rock?

Or maybe behind taht tree.........

Can you find hte proven Dl?! Will reward handsomely..........

bronx_2003
Gold is 223 lbs........hell be a great passrusher now without any dl to protect him huh

we only need 3 good DL - fatafei and ellis johnson can play the NT very well, warren will be a DE and we will get the other DE from FA or the draft - why worry?

EMCF
dude we arent switchin to 3-4 full time, plus even in 3-4 u need some sort of DECENT ends........we dotn have any decent right now, anton may be alright if he can put on a lil weight tho

In a 3-4 you don't need very good ends at all, granted, talent is nice, but not needed to run it successfully.

bronx_2003
03-02-2005, 07:19 PM
well as it stands right now they are gonna use the 3-4 parttime .. bt if you see suceces iwth them running it look for it to be a staple

come on....think about it......do our moves LOOK like a team going 4-3 as a base?

shanny does not want any other teams knowing our switch b4 the draft

Dream
03-02-2005, 07:20 PM
What the ****?

Re-signing Ian Gold is a great move; Spragan wasn't that good and he's probably worse than Jashon Sykes or Terry Pierce; it's better to let him go and bring in a guy who is a solid player and knows the Denver system.

We already traded for Gerrard Warren; I think it's a steal if he plays the way we expect him to. What we have quoted is pretty indicative of him wanting to play hard here in Denver; so I'm not too upset about that.

I think we'll still make a run at a few more players; Marques Douglas could be one of them and would add much needed depth to our defensive line. It's not as bad as you think it is; it could be a lot worse. Having a top lineman in the draft; (which is what I assume we'll be drafting) will only help out our situation more.

I think Mat'hir has been right all along; LeSeuer can play safety and can probably develop into a better player than Kennedy is; atleast at coverage.

The loss of Hayward isn't a hit to us at all; he'd of done crap for us in the three-four; (if that's what we're going to) -- I think we're going to shore up some more on some lineman who have experience in it. You don't need an icon on the line for a three-four defense; you just need players which is certainly what we're looking for.

Don't worry man; we're fine.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:21 PM
we only need 3 good DL - fatafei and ellis johnson can play the NT very well, warren will be a DE and we will get the other DE from FA or the draft - why worry?

Did you read my post? How is the tiny Gold gonna rush the passer if he gets blocked by a 300 lb tackle or guard? With only 3 down linemen you typically see bigger lbs so they can fight the ol, but with gold being 223 he is only outweighed by a minumum of 70 lbs? that is if they have small tackles......... but no worries Gold is superman he flies over tackles heads an can sack michael vick witha mild jog. All will be fixed with Gold and we will win Superbowl with our magical hidden DL that is Proven!

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Assuming this is real and not some more bunk...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187545

Gold had 71 tackles, 54 solo, half a sack, an INT, and a couple passes defended. Not bad, but nothing flashy. Hopefully we didn't pay too much for him.

gotannergo
03-02-2005, 07:23 PM
I couldn't be happier we resigned Gold, our linebacking corps is going to be insanely good. Granted we could use help elsewhere on the defense, but this is only the first day of free agency and we will be making more moves! I am sure the Broncos management have a plan to fill the other holes. They didn't just decide "lets sign Gold back and forget about our other needs." They had a opportunity to get back a impact player and took it. Good for them. I can't wait to see what else they have up their sleeves in the remaining offseason.

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:24 PM

Yes, Gold is fast. But he only notched half a sack for the buccs this year. But i'm not even convinced this is real yet, I'm waiting for someone to print an article somewhere before I pop open a bottle of bubbly.

bmcl2343
03-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow. I really didn't expect this. I thought people were saying that Gold didn't want to play in a 3-4?

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:25 PM
In a 3-4 you don't need very good ends at all, granted, talent is nice, but not needed to run it successfully.

You need some talent, or are you sayin we can go sign three big guys off the street and have them play for us. This is the NFL you need talent no matter what you are. A de in the 3-4 has talent, they arent passrushers.........but they have talent, they are like a dt in the 4-3, a 3-4 is pretty much Three defensive tackles, two ends (in most 3-4s at least..........ie: RAvens, Pats......) and two lbs..........

The ends jobs is to stop the run an keep blockers off of the lbs.......This is one reason why Gerrard may be the exact same player here, IF we do switch to the 3-4 more often than not, he will do the exact same thing he did in cleveland, and im sure taht will make him happy seein how all he is doing right now is bi*chin about how it sucked their and he isnt ment to hold blockers.

BUt if im wrong ill be alright with that, if we are switching to the 3-4 that is what i see hapening

Android
03-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Personally I kinda like the idea of Gold comming back. I mean yea we need D line help but Gold is a really good linebacker. Plus G. Warren is a cheap(money) Fix to a depthless defensive line that we now look at. That'll be just fine.

NeedDLinemen
03-02-2005, 07:26 PM

He already ditched the Postons and secondly if Shanahan brought him here to play LB then he needs a spell in a mental institution no matter if we're going 3-4, 4-3 or whatever the f@ck. Gold will be a safety this coming season!!

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Did you read my post? How is the tiny Gold gonna rush the passer if he gets blocked by a 300 lb tackle or guard? With only 3 down linemen you typically see bigger lbs so they can fight the ol, but with gold being 223 he is only outweighed by a minumum of 70 lbs? that is if they have small tackles......... but no worries Gold is superman he flies over tackles heads an can sack michael vick witha mild jog. All will be fixed with Gold and we will win Superbowl with our magical hidden DL that is Proven!

Really, you're starting to grate my nerves. Amazing talent isn't needed on the line in a 3-4 (assuming we're playing a 3-4). You just need solid players, Johnson (assuming we get him back, I hope we do), Fatafehi and Warren are all capable of this, and should fit well. We should address the line in the draft, so we should be in good condition. There is still more FA time too, we'll be fine.

MilitantDBFan
Peep the Signature.

Colorado69
It is called speed! Gold was a good pass rusher when he played here before. He was being groomed for greatness before he stuck his head you-know-where with the agents. He has healed from his injury and will be very useful for both rushing the QB and in pass protection. You don't plan on running over a 320 lbs. OT anyway.

Dream
It is worse than lastyear.........or do we have some hidden proben player on our defensive line this year............

Is he under that rock?

Or maybe behind taht tree.........

Can you find hte proven Dl?! Will reward handsomely..........

You don't need icons in the three-four; you need fat lards who can play the game; Warren is that and I'm guessing we'll make a run for a guy like Douglas as well.

This is one day of about a whole month of FA; don't worry.

bronx_2003
03-02-2005, 07:28 PM
where is a link or is this BS

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
It's possible that this is breaking news and no site has had time to post it, so I will wait. But I am sceptical.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Peep the Signature.

Part of his post is probably right, hes gonna want big money real fast, if not in his base contract look for the signing bonus, my guess is it will be huge, or he will be gettin a big increase in year 2 or 3.

Or for all we know this isnt true and we are wasting our time speculating

bronx_2003
03-02-2005, 07:30 PM
It's possible that this is breaking news and no site has had time to post it, so I will wait. But I am sceptical.

true but ppl say they heard it on nfl network but i bet that it said 'gold will VISIT' or 'the broncos are CONSIDERING bringing gold in'

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:32 PM
You don't need icons in the three-four; you need fat lards who can play the game; Warren is that and I'm guessing we'll make a run for a guy like Douglas as well.

This is one day of about a whole month of FA; don't worry.

No, i said the post you quoted becuase u said: We are in about the same boat as last year. For one, they never said we are 3-4ing the whole time, we may but they ahvent declared that, 4-3 is base. And if that is the case: we have no pass rush, we are a wearker poor mans version of the jaguars d line last year.

Now if we do switch to 3-4, gold will be completley useless as a rusher......he is smaller than roy williams (SAFETY) and without a de there to stop at least the tackle, Ian will be on his buttocks any time he tries to sack the qb

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:33 PM
You need some talent, or are you sayin we can go sign three big guys off the street and have them play for us. This is the NFL you need talent no matter what you are. A de in the 3-4 has talent, they arent passrushers.........but they have talent, they are like a dt in the 4-3, a 3-4 is pretty much Three defensive tackles, two ends (in most 3-4s at least..........ie: RAvens, Pats......) and two lbs..........

The ends jobs is to stop the run an keep blockers off of the lbs.......This is one reason why Gerrard may be the exact same player here, IF we do switch to the 3-4 more often than not, he will do the exact same thing he did in cleveland, and im sure taht will make him happy seein how all he is doing right now is bi*chin about how it sucked their and he isnt ment to hold blockers.

BUt if im wrong ill be alright with that, if we are switching to the 3-4 that is what i see hapening

Sigh.

Of course we couldn't sign anyone to play end, but we don't need big talent. Don't try to explain to me what an end does in a 3-4, really, I'm not the one that needs explanation. By and by, i've found that people will take you a lot more seriously if you try to learn spelling and basic sentence structure, helpful advice.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Really, you're starting to grate my nerves. Amazing talent isn't needed on the line in a 3-4 (assuming we're playing a 3-4). You just need solid players, Johnson (assuming we get him back, I hope we do), Fatafehi and Warren are all capable of this, and should fit well. We should address the line in the draft, so we should be in good condition. There is still more FA time too, we'll be fine.

And once again, I am agreeing with you but disagreeing.

I know we do not need Richard Seymour to have a good 3-4

What i am sayin is this: Gold is tiny for a rusher in the 3-4......look at any lb that is a rusher in the 3-4 (Mcginest is 260, Vrabel 265, Terrel Suggs 260) Gold is 220's, the way that the 3-4 rushers work is that the rushers pretty much are versatile defensive ends, (all three of the names i listed have played end before) The only way gold would ever play end is in semi pro league or sumthing.

And what i am sayin with the line is this: Gerrard warren wants to be here cuz he thinks he will finally be a gap player ( a 3-4 linemen is a blocker for the defense, he has complained about doing that in cleveland) Fatty is 300lbs (an average nose tackle is 315) ellis johnson so far is the only linemen that has played an proved he is successfull (to a degree) in the 3-4

I hope you understand where i am comin from now. I respect your opinion and i hope you will at least listen what i am tryin to say

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
, Ian will be on his buttocks any time he tries to sack the qb

Here's a shocker: Gold won't be the only one blitzing. Anyways, even if he was to go by himself a lot he would still notch some sacks, he can use his speed to blitz off the edge effectively, especially if our ends are doing a decent job holding up the O-tackles.

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Sigh.

Of course we couldn't sign anyone to play end, but we don't need big talent. Don't try to explain to me what an end does in a 3-4, really, I'm not the one that needs explanation. By and by, i've found that people will take you a lot more seriously if you try to learn spelling and basic sentence structure, helpful advice.

Ive learned that people will take you a lot more seriously when you arent tryin to talk down to them. Just some helpful advice :duh:

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:40 PM
And once again, I am agreeing with you but disagreeing.

I know we do not need Richard Seymour to have a good 3-4

What i am sayin is this: Gold is tiny for a rusher in the 3-4......look at any lb that is a rusher in the 3-4 (Mcginest is 260, Vrabel 265, Terrel Suggs 260) Gold is 220's, the way that the 3-4 rushers work is that the rushers pretty much are versatile defensive ends, (all three of the names i listed have played end before) The only way gold would ever play end is in semi pro league or sumthing.

And what i am sayin with the line is this: Gerrard warren wants to be here cuz he thinks he will finally be a gap player ( a 3-4 linemen is a blocker for the defense, he has complained about doing that in cleveland) Fatty is 300lbs (an average nose tackle is 315) ellis johnson so far is the only linemen that has played an proved he is successfull (to a degree) in the 3-4

I hope you understand where i am comin from now. I respect your opinion and i hope you will at least listen what i am tryin to say

Warren is 315 lbs. by and by.

Gold is smaller, but he is a hell of a lot faster, look at my reply in the other thread, called "for all those questioning the signing of gold" or something similar.

bigshoot
this is a good story it was on 212. now lets drat ware in the first round and our lbs four our version of the 3-4 will be set.

JoRo
Here's a shocker: Gold won't be the only one blitzing. Anyways, even if he was to go by himself a lot he would still notch some sacks, he can use his speed to blitz off the edge effectively, especially if our ends are doing a decent job holding up the O-tackles.

Did I ever say that He would be? But Gerrard sure will be happy to be blocking, and after being one of those whiners (think Daryl Gardener) in Cleveland, im sure hell be just fine to come to denver and do the same thing

JoRo
03-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Warren is 315 lbs. by and by.

Gold is smaller, but he is a hell of a lot faster, look at my reply in the other thread, called "for all those questioning the signing of gold" or something similar.

So he can run so much faster into a wall of a tackle instead of running slowly into the tackle and pushing by him! WOOPEE!

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Did I ever say that He would be? But Gerrard sure will be happy to be blocking, and after being one of those whiners (think Daryl Gardener) in Cleveland, im sure hell be just fine to come to denver and do the same thing

But as you've said yourself, our base will be a 4-3, Warren will get his chances to mess up some QBs. Anyways, he better damn well try hard, if he expects to ever have a respectable career in the NFL. This is his last chance.

rugbythug
03-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Talk about having a linebacking corp with some versatility. Our LB are going to make every other part of the defense look good. Gold can do a ton-especially coverage wise. You guys all talk about how he will get dumped on his ass when he rushes the passer-me I don't see it. He covered better than kennedy did this year-that will be his niche next year. Palapoi and Chuckwerah will rush the passer more than gold.

2 Minute Warning
03-02-2005, 07:47 PM
where is a link or is this BS
A link to what??

rugbythug
03-02-2005, 07:48 PM
so by the posts I am reading all 4 linebackers rush the passer correct? Because god forbid the best cover backer in football would actually do that.

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 07:48 PM
What about when Denver goes dime or nickel coverage? We need someone to rush the passer. And the guys from last year obviously didn't get the job done.

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:49 PM
So he can run so much faster into a wall of a tackle instead of running slowly into the tackle and pushing by him! WOOPEE!

The key is to run around the tackle.

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 07:53 PM
*sighs*.. we obviously have a plan and are moving forward with that plan. Its only DAY ONE of FA!! .... jeeeeeeeeeez

It's only day one but everyone already pushed the panic button. lol

bronx_2003
A link to what??

the BIG story to hit the MB - gold signs?

JoRo
The key is to run around the tackle.

And that tackle and stop and turn, most coaches will tell you that they would rather have a linebacker that will run through a linemen than around him. But maybe we are gettin Gold for his coverage? while we use our other three for rushing? Just a thought

bronx_2003
03-02-2005, 07:56 PM
the 3 DL take up blockers (say 4) and then you normally send 2 LB's to rush - DJ and GOLD

the KEY is 2 disguise the blitz and rush THROUGH the lanes

EMCF
03-02-2005, 07:56 PM
And that tackle and stop and turn, most coaches will tell you that they would rather have a linebacker that will run through a linemen than around him. But maybe we are gettin Gold for his coverage? while we use our other three for rushing? Just a thought

He is very balanced, can stop the run, rush the passer and drop into coverage. He will be an asset. ASSUMING WE SIGNED HIM, man, I sure hope this isn't just a rumor.

2 Minute Warning
03-02-2005, 07:57 PM
the BIG story to hit the MB - gold signs?
OK................?

BRONCOSOWNDOLTZ
03-02-2005, 08:00 PM
We get Gold back, and a 3rd RD. compensation pic for him right?

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 08:01 PM
yea it's tight like that

JoRo
03-02-2005, 08:01 PM
He is very balanced, can stop the run, rush the passer and drop into coverage. He will be an asset. ASSUMING WE SIGNED HIM, man, I sure hope this isn't just a rumor.

If so then damn all our arguin over nothin :laugh: you have to admit, was fun though

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 08:02 PM
If so then damn all our arguin over nothin :laugh: you have to admit, was fun though
lol it was :beer:

jletourneau
03-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Gold definitley brings versatility. I mean, if you can talk about a guy who could play safety, good blitzer, and an excellent cover linebacker you bring meaning to the term "hybrid" defense that Larry Coyer describes in reference to what the Broncos are moving towards. Teams are switching to the 3-4 trend and pursuing "hybrid" LB/DE type of players. Why not do the same with the next level back with LB/S. The Patriots have been winning with incredible schemes where their players cause the offense to react instead of the defense having to react. "Hybrid" players are helping teams not be limited to a traditional set. Gold could play the "Rover" position so often used in high school schemes. Sounds crazy to mention anything HS, but l would rather see Shanahan take a chance and set a trend rather than just follow one.

Bigwheel
03-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Did We Really Re-sign Gold?? I Haven't Seen This Anywhere.......i'm Watching Nfl Network (total Access) Hoping I See It Up Here Somewhere...according To Earlier Posts, This Is Where All This Buzz Supposedly Started From

JoRo
03-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Did We Really Re-sign Gold?? I Haven't Seen This Anywhere.......i'm Watching Nfl Network (total Access) Hoping I See It Up Here Somewhere...according To Earlier Posts, This Is Where All This Buzz Supposedly Started From

I think you just proved us all right

it was just some stupid rumor

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 08:09 PM

who first stated this Ian Gold signing? what member?

EMCF
03-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Apparently, though we have no proof, we signed gold again. But because we lost him last year we should be a getting a 3rd rounder in compensation for losing him in the first place. Looks like it's a win-win situation. :cheers:

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Apparently, though we have no proof, we signed gold again. But because we lost him last year we should be a getting a 3rd rounder in compensation for losing him in the first place. Looks like it's a win-win situation. :cheers:
Yup getting Gold back (if its not a rumor) ans the compensation :beer:

JoRo
03-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Yup getting Gold back (if its not a rumor) ans the compensation :beer:

Can the league keep us from getting the third rounder since we are (if we are) getting him back?

BroncosB2B
i hope not...

Adrenaline
Can the league keep us from getting the third rounder since we are (if we are) getting him back?
lol good question............anyone know?

JoRo
03-02-2005, 08:13 PM
who first stated this Ian Gold signing? what member?

JohnElway#7 in the ITS OFFICIAL thread. Then he stopped posting immidiatley afterwords.

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 08:13 PM
JohnElway#7 in the ITS OFFICIAL thread. Then he stopped posting immidiatley afterwords.
Interesting :coffee:

NeedDLinemen
03-02-2005, 08:22 PM

Think it is true.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Jared
03-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Until I see a link, I am moving this to "Rumors"

I will move it when I see a link.

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Think it is true.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Theres a link now. :beer:

rcsodak
03-02-2005, 08:25 PM

Maybe he's going to be denver's safety?????

Jared
03-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Theres a link now. :beer:

A link to a rumor site.

I mean a link from NFL.com, or this site or ESPN or something.

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 08:26 PM
A link to a rumor site.

I mean a link from NFL.com, or this site or ESPN or something.

ic ic my bad

speedracer2411
03-02-2005, 08:27 PM
deffinetly have the best core now, maybe ravens is close and miami if they stay together but if not we have the best aww this is great

Fat Joe
03-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Just saw it on Total Access. It should be annouced tommoro I think.

This will gie us the fastes trio of LBs in the NFL. Woooooo.

Casper Bronco
03-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I just saw it on NFL Network too. Hayward gone Gold in.

Bronco51
I just heard on NFL Channel that Gold signed with the Broncos. Schefter reported it.

Fat Joe
haha, beat you by 1 minute, slow poke.

bronco30
03-02-2005, 08:56 PM
just saw it to.....adam said hayward got a 10 mill signing bonus n gold is in no contract details stated

bleedbluorange
03-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Just saw it on Total Access. It should be annouced tommoro I think.
That is great news. For how long?

Fat Joe
03-02-2005, 09:00 PM
They didnt get into details, but Im sure within the next 24 hours we'll have all the info.

DrunkPanda
03-02-2005, 09:00 PM
hahaha. i totally read that wrong. i thought it meant he quit. i was trying to figure out how it was "great news" :P

Javalon
03-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Well, they did announce it on the NFL Network. There's always a chance they're wrong but odds are they wouldn't announce it as a fact unless it's a done deal.

I'll personally be glad to have him back on the Broncos... assuming we didn't pay a whole bunch for him. Yes, he'll make our linebacking corps speedier and more dangerous but that wasn't a major need for us.

Assuming we still have enough money to sign a couple decent defensive linemen, this could work out well. I just don't know enough about all the finances involved to know whether or not to get pissed or get happy.

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 09:04 PM
i'll read abot it on denverpost.com in 7 hours

bleedbluorange
03-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Well, they did announce it on the NFL Network. There's always a chance they're wrong but odds are they wouldn't announce it as a fact unless it's a done deal.

I'll personally be glad to have him back on the Broncos... assuming we didn't pay a whole bunch for him. Yes, he'll make our linebacking corps speedier and more dangerous but that wasn't a major need for us.

Assuming we still have enough money to sign a couple decent defensive linemen, this could work out well. I just don't know enough about all the finances involved to know whether or not to get pissed or get happy.I think Spragan's lack of production has been over looked. That also makes Sykes and Pierce serious scrubs. Glad the need was addressed. Now hopefully they get back down to the defensive line business

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 09:09 PM
so many threads on this... :D

speedracer2411
03-02-2005, 09:12 PM
i love it i just saw it to this is awsome, doesnt gold run a 4.45 40' and williams a 4.5 wow we have fast ass LB's

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 09:13 PM
And Al isnt too slow either. This corps is gonna be faster than 2002.

Javalon
03-02-2005, 09:13 PM
I think Spragan's lack of production has been over looked. That also makes Sykes and Pierce serious scrubs. Glad the need was addressed. Now hopefully they get back down to the defensive line business
Yep, if we could sign Chike Okeafor and Marques Douglas I would be a happy man and we could quit the free agency game for the year and focus on the draft. Pick up another good defensive line prospect, preferably at tackle, with our first or second pick and then maybe a tight end, safety or guard and then I'm ready for the season. Come on, Broncos! You can do it!

OhNoKoolAid
03-02-2005, 09:14 PM
And Al isnt too slow either. This corps is gonna be faster than 2002.

Wilson runs in the 4.55-4.59 range.

Fat Joe
03-02-2005, 09:16 PM
i know, resign and resign are very hard to tell apart.

speedracer2411
03-02-2005, 09:18 PM
woooo hoooo i love postin how happy i am in every single gold thread lol enough with these already

BulldogRed
03-02-2005, 09:35 PM
There are a lot of fans out there thinking "what are those broncos doing!?! We need a D line!!!" We just obtained a nose tackle from the browns, we have a first round pick, Johnson, and decent back ups, all we are missing are TWO players to have possibly one of the best Ds denver has had in a long while. (Those would be a Dline man and a cover safty.)

looks great to me.

Fat Joe
03-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Yea, but mine was the first official one, so its all gravy son.

GIVEME6
03-02-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm glad we got Gold back. He was a playmaker his few years in Denver, and his speed on the outside is a great asset. Wonder if he's getting his #52 back from DJ?

BulldogRed
03-02-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm glad we got Gold back. He was a playmaker his few years in Denver, and his speed on the outside is a great asset. Wonder if he's getting his #52 back from DJ?

Man, if I was DJ I would give it to him, I mean, for a price :P

KnightOLB53
03-02-2005, 09:39 PM

lol Good Question i doubt it tho

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2005, 09:41 PM

He'd have to pay for it. If he does, D.J. should take 55 (Derrick Brooks' #) Lynch compared Williams to Brooks in camp, but he said D.J.'s better. Gold also wore 53 in TB he'll probably just keep it.

puredenfan
03-02-2005, 10:17 PM
im so confused, is he really coming back to denver for real?

Canadian_Fan
03-02-2005, 10:25 PM
im so confused, is he really coming back to denver for real?

Me too there is like 4 threads regarding it havent seen anything solid

If its true i think its a good move

Casper Bronco
03-02-2005, 10:26 PM
He should take 55 huh? Numbers taken by Chukwurah

BroncoStampede
03-02-2005, 10:27 PM
We got him? holy schnikes that is freakin awesome

GIVEME6
03-02-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm betting this is the end for Louis Green, so I'd say Gold will get his #53 or wear 54.

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 10:33 PM
He'd have to pay for it. If he does, D.J. should take 55 (Derrick Brooks' #) Lynch compared Williams to Brooks in camp, but he said D.J.'s better. Gold also wore 53 in TB he'll probably just keep it.

How about D.J. taking #51 and Gold taking back #52 for $10,000.

x_predator89
03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
where did you find this? I cant find this news anywhere.

GIVEME6
03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
How about Gold paying tribute to Mobley and wearing #51?

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 10:47 PM
How about Gold paying tribute to Mobley and wearing #51?

I could see that. Either way I think one of them will be wearing #51 next year.

Jared
03-02-2005, 11:19 PM
As it is now official, moved back to Gen Dis.

AlWilsonOwnsU
03-02-2005, 11:26 PM
I Love It!!! Man Our Defense Will Be Sick-er This Year!!!

Road_Apples
03-02-2005, 11:39 PM
No Doubt! We gonna be so sick with these guys as our LB's, we got the flue right now.
doesn't anybody know how to spell anymore?

UltimateSoldier
03-02-2005, 11:51 PM
doesn't anybody know how to spell anymore?

You think thats bad. I saw a thread the wrote "still" when he meant "Steal".

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Yep, if we could sign Chike Okeafor and Marques Douglas I would be a happy man and we could quit the free agency game for the year and focus on the draft. Pick up another good defensive line prospect, preferably at tackle, with our first or second pick and then maybe a tight end, safety or guard and then I'm ready for the season. Come on, Broncos! You can do it!

If we sign those two DEs, and draft a DT in round 1, then we actually could consider staying with the 4-3 if the Gold signing is legit and for more then 1 season.

If we cant get two starting calibur DEs, and we fail to get another starting DT (to pair with Warren), then we can't realistically stick with the 4-3 IMO, as the D-line would simply not generate the needed rush. Though Gold on the weakside, instead of DJ, would help in that aspect some.

I'm with you, but we need to get rid of Pryce to have the finances to sign those two DEs or DT. (Ellis Johnson would qualify if we resigned him)

Bigwheel
03-03-2005, 06:56 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E86%257E2741668,00.html

IT'S ALL BUT DONE!!

ACCORDING TO ADAM SCHEFTER, HE REPORTS THAT THE DEAL IS ALREADY DONE (HE REPORTED IT ON NFL TOTAL ACCESS) FASTEST LB'S IN DA GAME!!!

mdog1764
03-03-2005, 10:50 AM

This is almost comical. When has Shanny ever gone back on his word. I can't remember a time. Now everyone think we gave Gold the key to the bank? I can tell you that when you see the numbers you will all be fine with it.

TXBRONC
03-03-2005, 11:09 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E86%257E2741668,00.html

IT'S ALL BUT DONE!!

ACCORDING TO ADAM SCHEFTER, HE REPORTS THAT THE DEAL IS ALREADY DONE (HE REPORTED IT ON NFL TOTAL ACCESS) FASTEST LB'S IN DA GAME!!!

Correction, DJ Williams is the fast LB in the game. :D

BroncoStampede
03-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Whats funny is we are being awarded a 3rd round pick for losing GOld, and now we have him back and the pick. :D :beer:

Fitzchivalry
03-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Gold is great but I don't want to spend all our money on him. We need D-line and tight ends and receivers and maybe O-line.

BroncosB2B
03-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I got this info off of the Bucs MBs. I don't know if it is true though and have no link:

Linebacker Ian Gold visited Denver on Wednesday and one report had him close to signing with the Broncos, where he played from 2000-2003. Gold was believed to be contemplating signing a five-year, $23 million deal that included a signing bonus worth between $8 million-$10 million.

Fitzchivalry
03-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I got this info off of the Bucs MBs. I don't know if it is true though and have no link:

Linebacker Ian Gold visited Denver on Wednesday and one report had him close to signing with the Broncos, where he played from 2000-2003. Gold was believed to be contemplating signing a five-year, $23 million deal that included a signing bonus worth between $8 million-$10 million.
Crap I hope not! That's too much money when we need D-line more.

TXBRONC
03-03-2005, 01:03 PM

Those figures have to be way off. I'm not dissing you B2B but whoever reported numbers like doesn't know what they're talking about.

BroncosB2B
03-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Those figures have to be way off. I'm not dissing you B2B but whoever reported numbers like doesn't know what they're talking about.

They prob are. But we will find out shortly....

hardcorebronco
03-03-2005, 01:14 PM
I am glad Gold is back, that should make our linebackers the best in the league. As for the d-line since the trade for Warren is almost done, we should finally have a dominate Defensive Tackle in the 3-4. As for the defensive ends........ well anton (palapoi) should only get better with the years and shanny might be able to trade up for a good defensive end...... how about Pollack from Georgia? The report from the combine said he worked the hardest and shined on overall performance, the gerogia site also said pollack won an award for the best defensive player of the year in NCAA this past season. I also heared Rolle was to visit denver yesterday, wouldn't it be awesome to have another premier corner across from Champ? NFL.com said Rolle was the best player in the free agency this year, just another weapon to boost the Denver D! I smell a #1 defence coming up. :coffee: Just more to think about!!!

TXBRONC
03-03-2005, 01:14 PM
They prob are. But we will find out shortly....

Yeah, I'm interested in finding out what the numbers really are.

Peerless
03-03-2005, 02:01 PM

We are, that was the dumbest move..

Snk16
03-03-2005, 05:15 PM
We should have gone for a CB or DL but I don't really mind the move.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 05:42 PM

This is exactly the deal he got as it's his market value. I had only assumed a 5 million per year average, this is over 6 million, but that is the market value for the best OLB in free agency.

Militant, keep that sig up so everyone can see I called 1) the cost of his contract, and 2) that DJ will have to scoot to a new position to accomodate Gold.

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-03-2005, 06:06 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php?

WOOT!

Jim
03-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Back where he belongs, in the Orange and Blue. :beer:

Adrenaline
03-03-2005, 06:08 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php?

WOOT!

Nice at least we know its official. The rumor is put to rest.

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-03-2005, 06:25 PM
ESPN News said 5 years for 22.5 mil

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 06:37 PM
ESPN News said 5 years for 22.5 mil

Yup, plus 8 -10 million in signing bonuses.

The last contract the Broncos offered Gold last offseason. 5 years, 20 million, 5 million signing bonus.

Gold won in the blink contest. He wanted his 10-15 million signing bonus last offseason. Broncos backed down. Though Gold dropped some of his high end demands as well. Still, expensive contract.

Hamilton's contract should be vastly similar. So, we have the finances to sign one more decent level Free Agent. Hopefully it will be a DE, specifically Marquise Douglas.

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-03-2005, 06:41 PM

The last contract the Broncos offered Gold last offseason. 5 years, 20 million, 5 million signing bonus.

Gold won in the blink contest. He wanted his 10-15 million signing bonus last offseason. Broncos backed down. Though Gold dropped some of his high end demands as well. Still, expensive contract.

Hamilton's contract should be vastly similar. So, we have the finances to sign one more decent level Free Agent. Hopefully it will be a DE, specifically Marquise Douglas.

Chances are it'll be Okeafor, he visited us today:).

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Chances are it'll be Okeafor, he visited us today:).

I hope not. He's small at 265 for a DE.

I believe he visited, but I really doubt we sign him, he fits worse into a 3-4 then Heyward did. Plus, the Cardinals are supposed to be targeting him now that they missed on Heyward to Jax. We don't have the finances to compete with the Cardinals at all.

Okeafor should sign for roughly the same as Heyward, he a tad slower at rushing the passer, but a tad better versus the run. I don't think we can afford him, especially now after signing Gold to a 5 year, 23 million, + 10 million signing bonus.

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-03-2005, 06:51 PM
I hope not. He's small at 265 for a DE.

I believe he visited, but I really doubt we sign him, he fits worse into a 3-4 then Heyward did. Plus, the Cardinals are supposed to be targeting him now that they missed on Heyward to Jax. We don't have the finances to compete with the Cardinals at all.

Okeafor should sign for roughly the same as Heyward, he a tad slower at rushing the passer, but a tad better versus the run. I don't think we can afford him, especially now after signing Gold to a 5 year, 23 million, + 10 million signing bonus.

1. Were not moving to 3-4
2. Who said it was a 10 million dollar signing bonus?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 06:54 PM
1. Were not moving to 3-4
2. Who said it was a 10 million dollar signing bonus?

1) Yes, we are, but keep your opinion, when the season starts, just be sure to acknowledge you were wrong. Just look at our roster. 6 LBs, only 4 D-linemen on the roster atm. Only 2 are absolutely positive to be there when the season starts. Do you really believe we can field enough decent players for a 4 man D-line? Just think about it.

2) Bucs message board reported the contract specifics awhile ago. 23 million, 10 mill bonus, 5 years.

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
1) Yes, we are, but keep your opinion, when the season starts, just be sure to acknowledge you were wrong. Just look at our roster. 6 LBs, only 4 D-linemen on the roster atm. Only 2 are absolutely positive to be there when the season starts. Do you really believe we can field enough decent players for a 4 man D-line? Just think about it.

2) Bucs message board reported the contract specifics awhile ago. 23 million, 10 mill bonus, 5 years.

1. Coyer said were not... Now, would I rather listen to the D coordinator or you?

2. Ok

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 07:15 PM
1. Coyer said were not... Now, would I rather listen to the D coordinator or you?

2. Ok

That's a tough one, I'd actually listen to me. At least until I am wrong, most folks on this message board will acknowledge I have an uncanny knack with my logic and predictions.

Plus, why would Coyer tip his hat?

But if you would like to make a detailed argument with factual data as to why a 4-3, with our current roster and sheer lack of players, makes sense over a 3-4 and our plethora of talented LBs, please go ahead, I'll listen.

rcsodak
03-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Maybe they'll package a couple linebackers for a draft pick? Or for a lineman.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Any interesting excerpt from this article made by Spragan's agent who is talking with the Broncos.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~86~2741668,00.html

Gold bounced back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in 2003 and had a big season with the Buccaneers. If the deal is completed, Gold likely would step in as a starter with Denver. D.J. Williams, entering his second NFL season, may move to strongside linebacker to accommodate Gold taking the weakside position. Because of his speed, Gold would be a solid addition to the 3-4 defense.

Gold's return could mean last season's starting strongside linebacker, Donnie Spragan, would move on as a free agent. He has a visit set up with Miami and has received interest from Atlanta.

"I heard about Ian, and Donnie may look elsewhere," said Spragan's agent, Angelo Wright. "But there's still a chance he could come back. They need another linebacker in that 3-4. So there's a chance."

You would think the agent who is negotiating with the Broncos for his client's return (LB Spragan) would know exactly what defense and position he is negotiating for...wouldn't you? C'mon guys, understand Coyer is just smokescreening so teams are unsure who Denver plans to draft. This happens every year.

Fitzchivalry
03-03-2005, 09:03 PM

The report I saw said 5 years for $22,500,000 which INCLUDES the bonus. That's $4,500,000 per year average and I bet the first couple are cap friendly + we will get some cap back when we trade T.P.

Fitzchivalry
03-03-2005, 09:13 PM
That's a tough one, I'd actually listen to me. At least until I am wrong, most folks on this message board will acknowledge I have an uncanny knack with my logic and predictions.
:laugh: HA! That's funny!

NeedDLinemen
03-03-2005, 09:20 PM

Including $8-$10 million in signing bonuses.

As with every single FA contract ever signed the signing bonus is already within that $22.5 million and I'd put money on that it's tiered over 2005 and 2006, to reduce the 05 cap hit. Shanny might be the dumbest GM alive when it comes to filling holes in a team but he's no mug!!