PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Pollard released...may be a good FA to look at

Shanahanaramjam
03-02-2005, 06:09 PM
I think we should jump on this guy. Major upgrade, great receiver.

Broncosinindy
03-02-2005, 06:21 PM
we ahvea great reciver at tight end already ... how is his blocking skills?

Aija
03-02-2005, 06:43 PM
man i'm so sick of this. Every bum that gets let go or is a free agent we gotta go after come on guys contain your excitement.

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 08:01 PM
man i'm so sick of this. Every bum that gets let go or is a free agent we gotta go after come on guys contain your excitement.

I would usually share those same sentiments, but management has said that they are looking for a veteran TE and Pollard is that. I don't know if he would fit under our cap though.

GIVEME6
03-02-2005, 08:34 PM
http://theredzone.org/news/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=2346

Pollard isn't exactly a young guy, but he is still a pretty good TE and he knows how to get open in the endzone. Might be nice to have him on the team to give Jake another reliable target. I hope we atleast talk to him.

BroncosB2B
03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
If Denver can pick him up, I'm all for it. We need that reliable 3rd Down safety option of a good TE.

Adrenaline
03-02-2005, 08:36 PM
If Denver can pick him up, I'm all for it. We need that reliable 3rd Down safety option of a good TE.
Anyone know if we are going to resign Jeb?

ludo
itd be sweet to have pollard
but we need D

Jared
Merged.

Use the search funtion.

Notice, it's not a request.

EMCF
03-02-2005, 08:37 PM
If we did sign him he could meet Lynch in person, without all the pain. :beer:

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Anyone know if we are going to resign Jeb?

Putzier is a RFA and we signed him to a 1 year tender. Another team can offer him a contract, but the Broncos have the right to match the offer or let him go to another team, but the other team has to give us their 6th Round pick.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2005, 08:43 PM

BUT, BUT, BUT, It's like Christmas in March. ;) I agree though I don't think there's a single one of the 86 FAs this offseason that somone on this board hasn't decided we've gotta have (I'm just as guilty as everyone else) so I'll just quote my Dad, "What, do you think money grows on trees?" :cheers:

GIVEME6
03-02-2005, 08:50 PM

How can you not get excited over the prospect of getting Marcus Pollard? He's a big time producer, and he's been a great target for Peyton Manning for years. Like it or not, we need a veteran TE like Pollard to put a spark in the passing game and have another guy that can bail Jake out. I'm betting he can be had on the cheap too. Trust me, if it was Roland Williams or Brandon Manumaleuna I wouldn't give them a second thought. Pollard produces the way a TE should, and we need another TE.

Love the way my thread was hijacked to btw.

BulldogRed
03-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Why does everyone think that Jeb is good? He sucks bad. We need a TE that is a threat like Shannon. BTW what kind of shape is Sharpe in now a days?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Why does everyone think that Jeb is good? He sucks bad. We need a TE that is a threat like Shannon. BTW what kind of shape is Sharpe in now a days?

The trash talking, bash your old team shape. J/K it's actually nice to see he's somewhat objective and not a homer like so many analysts. :D

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 09:49 PM

Putzier doesn't suck. He was originally a WR in college and he's only had one year of significant playing time. He's still young and he can be a top tier TE with more work. Tim Brewster will be able to help him take his game to the next level.

Getting Pollard would be a great pick up because he would be a blanket option like he was for Dallas Clark in Indy. That's why management is looking for a veteran TE in Free Agency.

OhNoKoolAid
03-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Putzier doesn't suck. He was originally a WR in college and he's only had one year of significant playing time. He's still young and he can be a top tier TE with more work. Tim Brewster will be able to help him take his game to the next level.

Getting Pollard would be a great pick up because he would be a blanket option like he was for Dallas Clark in Indy. That's why management is looking for a veteran TE in Free Agency.

Let me add that this was essentially his rookie season at a new position. He took his lumps and had his drops, but Plummer's trust in him obviously increased as the season went on, and he looked very impressive in the playoff game. Although it was against Indy, I think you can look at that game and see the potential that Putz really has.

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Let me add that this was essentially his rookie season at a new position. He took his lumps and had his drops, but Plummer's trust in him obviously increased as the season went on, and he looked very impressive in the playoff game. Although it was against Indy, I think you can look at that game and see the potential that Putz really has.

Exactly. When Putzier starts going over the middle and starts positioning himself on routes better he'll be a dangerous weapon. Hopefully management will give him a long term deal while he's still cheap. His blocking still needs work, but Hopefully Coach Brewster can teach him how to "block out"(basketball term) so that he can be a bigger target on 3rd downs and down in the red zone.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Putz will never be Sharpe, Gonzales, or Gates but so far he's a reliable receiver with decent speed and hands for a tight end. Will he ever be elite? Doubt it, but Pollard isn't either. Indy's receivers/tight ends make each other look good because there are so many options that someone is always open. Having Manning hurling the rock doesn't hurt either. Pollard is getting old and is kinda slow for a receiver, his numbers are inflated by playing in the most pass happy offense in the league.

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Putz will never be Sharpe, Gonzales, or Gates but so far he's a reliable receiver with decent speed and hands for a tight end. Will he ever be elite? Doubt it, but Pollard isn't either. Indy's receivers/tight ends make each other look good because there are so many options that someone is always open. Having Manning hurling the rock doesn't hurt either. Pollard is getting old and is kinda slow for a receiver, his numbers are inflated by playing in the most pass happy offense in the league.

Putzier can without a doubt put up very good receiving numbers, quote me on it later. He will take his game to another level this season. He has a new position coach and he has a year of real playing time under his belt.

OhNoKoolAid
03-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Putzier can without a doubt put up big receiving numbers, quote me on it later. He will take his game to another level this season. He has a new position coach and he has a year of real playing time under his belt.

I'll second you with mild trepidation, simply because he isn't secured yet. Putz has better speed than Whitten and could be a similar player. His numbers from this year were actually really good for asically a first year player. He started to catch on late and most importantly, gained the confidence of his QB. If he can perfect his intermediate routes, he will have a big year, because he is proven to be a sneaky deep threat.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Putzier can without a doubt put up big receiving numbers, quote me on it later. He will take his game to another level this season. He has a new position coach and he has a year of real playing time under his belt.

I don't doubt you, but he won't have 100+ catches like Gonzales or 15 TDs like Gates - we actually have some WRs on this team. He is, however a solid contributor and worth keeping.

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 10:24 PM
I don't doubt you, but he won't have 100+ catches like Gonzales or 15 TDs like Gates - we actually have some WRs on this team. He is, however a solid contributor and worth keeping.

I was wondering where you were going with this until I read the end because I never said he would break records like Gonzalez and and Gates. Maybe "big" is not the word I should have used, but I think he could catch about 50-60 passes and get about 800 yards receiving. Not "big" numbers, but very, very good numbers for a TE. I like the kid and I hope management works out a deal before the season starts to keep him here for years.

DPg2003
03-02-2005, 10:26 PM
I'll second you with mild trepidation, simply because he isn't secured yet. Putz has better speed than Whitten and could be a similar player. His numbers from this year were actually really good for asically a first year player. He started to catch on late and most importantly, gained the confidence of his QB. If he can perfect his intermediate routes, he will have a big year, because he is proven to be a sneaky deep threat.

Yea I used the wrong word by saying "big," but I think he is going to be a dangerous receiving option for Jake the Snake this season.

JRWIZ
03-02-2005, 10:38 PM
How can you not get excited over the prospect of getting Marcus Pollard? He's a big time producer, and he's been a great target for Peyton Manning for years. Like it or not, we need a veteran TE like Pollard to put a spark in the passing game and have another guy that can bail Jake out. I'm betting he can be had on the cheap too. Trust me, if it was Roland Williams or Brandon Manumaleuna I wouldn't give them a second thought. Pollard produces the way a TE should, and we need another TE.

Love the way my thread was hijacked to btw.

Just curious why you think he is any better than Jeb.

Player Recpt Yd Avg TD FL
Pollard, 32 339 10.6 6 0
Franks, 36 393 10.9 8 0
Putzier, 39 639 16.4 3 0

speedracer2411
03-02-2005, 10:40 PM
man i'm so sick of this. Every bum that gets let go or is a free agent we gotta go after come on guys contain your excitement.seriously this is gettin old, i think we should trade our hole d-fence for manning wayne and harrison i mean good god give it a rest

JRWIZ
03-02-2005, 10:53 PM
seriously this is gettin old, i think we should trade our hole d-fence for manning wayne and harrison i mean good god give it a rest

I'll drink to that :beer: some of these kids got ta go to bed now.

When I signed on tonight there were 73 veiwing usually about 19-26.

dbdom
03-03-2005, 04:20 AM
marcus pollard is actually a really underrated player, not a bum as someone said but the colts are looking to keep him, they just HAD to cut him because of his cap number, so they are letting him test the waters but they would like to retain him if no other teams other him more than the colts

but quit with the jeb bashing, considering hes an ex-WR converted TE, he has great hands like a WR, but doesnt have the blocking skills yet, thats what he is working on, but he made some plays next year, showed what he can do, next year i figure we'll look to him more in the red zone

Emancipator
03-03-2005, 07:58 AM
Denver will go with you TE's this year. Cheaper and can find several to what Marcus can and better, that's why the Colts cut him.........duh.

OrangeShadow
03-03-2005, 08:00 AM
If we did sign him he could meet Lynch in person, without all the pain. :beer:

ur thinking of dallas clark

broncodevil
03-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Marcus Pollard is a great tight end. He is overshadowed by the Colts Offensive trifecta. All he did last year was block block block and then when they threw it to him, he caught TD passes. Sounds like a perfect guy to fit into the Broncos scheme.

If the Broncos don't take Pollard, I hope somebody does so he doesn't wind up back with the Colts. The Colts should have to pay a little for spending so much on those other guys!

JRWIZ
03-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Marcus Pollard is a great tight end. He is overshadowed by the Colts Offensive trifecta. All he did last year was block block block and then when they threw it to him, he caught TD passes. Sounds like a perfect guy to fit into the Broncos scheme.

If the Broncos don't take Pollard, I hope somebody does so he doesn't wind up back with the Colts. The Colts should have to pay a little for spending so much on those other guys!

But he is no better than our young rookie Jeb and the house. Note the numbers posted "Yesterday 10:38 PM" He has a couple more TD's, 7 less catches and 300 less yards than Putz. He is being phased out by our Dallas Clark.

Why waste money getting something we already have? Or have that is better!

broncos1177
03-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Here's an idea. Sign Marcus Pollard. Denver's offense really missed a TE who was a true receiving threat last year. Pollard shouldn't break the bank, and would instantly become a great weapon. I can tell by other posts that I'm the only one who seems to like Watts, but I think he could be special from what I saw of him last year. I think that what little money we have left would be better spent on a quality te, rather than a third receiver (which many have mentioned throughout the threads.) Just my opinion.

broncosfan247
03-03-2005, 04:57 PM
forget Pollard. Lets go get Jermaine Wiggins. Actually I think we should stick with what we got and I'm still not ruling out that we don't draft Heath Miller if he's available.

bmcl2343
03-03-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm still not ruling out that we don't draft Heath Miller if he's available.

We might. But I don't think he will be available and I don't think we will. If we draft a TE I'd prefer us to take one a little later like Dave Kashetta and use our earlier picks on more pressing needs.

Jared
03-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Here's an idea.

How about posting it in the already existing thread about this idea?