PDA

View Full Version : Chike okeafor(sp)

mr williams52
03-02-2005, 07:25 PM
i just want to know if the broncos are interested in him, and if so, how much would he be asking for. because i dont know how much cap space we have left, but shouldnt we be getting more with the pryce trade.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 12:29 AM
original post deleted

Guess that excludes the Raiders too then.

nickmeyer
03-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Okeafor is nothing but a mediocre defensive lineman. The Seattle Seahawks are in the same situation as the Broncos defensively.....in need of a defensive line. If they are going to let Okeafor walk, they must not have much faith in his ability.

I say, don't take another teams discards. He'd be a bust...

What if we swap players Pryce for Okeafor and a draft pick, it would be worth it then.

dbdom
03-03-2005, 04:24 AM
okeafor is ok, not exceptional speed, not great pass rushing skills, but plays the run ok, nothing we dont have in marco coleman in here tbh

OrangeShadow
03-03-2005, 06:59 AM
"Chike is serious about Denver and the Broncos are serious about him," agent Andy Simms said. "We are talking to other teams but are very interested in what the Broncos have to say."

this would be a NICE addition hes young and has great determination

HaroldWoods41SS
03-03-2005, 07:06 AM
can i get stats and info on him

PokeysLittleDog
03-03-2005, 07:13 AM
This would be AWESOME!

I wanted us to draft him a couple years back when he came out of college.

HaroldWoods41SS
03-03-2005, 07:17 AM
stats stats can i get some stats

OrangeShadow
03-03-2005, 07:46 AM
2003- 8 sacks 34 tackles games-16
2004- 8.5 sacks 40 tackles games-16

anything else

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133380

HaroldWoods41SS
03-03-2005, 07:50 AM
works for me lets go get him

OrangeShadow
03-03-2005, 07:51 AM
works for me lets go get him

"Chike is serious about Denver and the Broncos are serious about him," agent Andy Simms said

looks like we are trying

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Heres a link to make it official:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/4644087p-4308695c.html

Caliraiderhater
03-03-2005, 09:17 AM
He is 6'4" and only 265. all he has to do is put on some weight and he would fit really well as a 3-4 DE.

OhNoKoolAid
03-03-2005, 09:30 AM
He is 6'4" and only 265. all he has to do is put on some weight and he would fit really well as a 3-4 DE.

While that may be possible, his resources would be better served as a rush end in the 3-4, which would be like the SLB in the 4-3. In Seattle, Okeafor had games where he would line up in several positions to take advantage of his pass rushing ability. If anyone watched the playoff game, they kept Okeafor, who played LE mostly in Seattle, on the move quite often, and he got the better of Pace in several plays. He is a quality disruptive pass rusher, who's consistency has been overlooked in the far Northwest. In 3-4 packages, a linebacking core of Gold, Williams, Wilson, Pierce, Okeafor and Chuckwurah would rival the "championship caliber" depth of New England. I like Okeafor, and would love to see him in Denver. He isn't the finisher that Hayward is, but he is far more consistent and disruptive.

dbdom
03-03-2005, 10:33 AM

theres no way someone can just put on like 20-30 pounds all of a sudden in an offseason, hes a good 4-3 DE though, he seems like a try-hard type of guy, which is fine by me, he plays the run ok, and is a overall solid player

Dean
03-03-2005, 10:55 AM
He would be an excellent pickup if we can get him. Then one or two more D-linemen in free agency or draft and we are good to go.

OhNoKoolAid
03-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Okeafor is an unrestricted free agent. There won't be any trades made involving him.

He's not much bigger than a linebacker and he would not do well on those occasions the Broncos run a 3-4 defense. You don't see Seattle making a big push to keep him. There's a reason for that.

Actually, this is far from the truth. Seattle has expressed interest in retaining both Lucas and Okeafor. Right now, Seattle must determine how much room they will have to play with, which ties directly into the decision on what they do with Alexander. Seattle very much wants him back. Also, under your logic, we are to assume that Lucas is no good too?

elwayfan805
03-03-2005, 11:48 AM
if okafor puts on a few pounds he could be a great fit for a DE spot in a 3-4 defense his agent has said that "he is very intrested in the broncos" and the broncos are very intrested in him he is going to meet with the broncos and the cardinals sometime today.....i think he would be a great addition.. he is a good pass rusher (has gotton 8 sacks past two years)

DPg2003
03-03-2005, 11:54 AM
this would be a NICE addition hes young and has great determination

Okeafor is 29 years old. He's not old as dirt, but he's no youngin.

OhNoKoolAid
03-03-2005, 12:24 PM
if okafor puts on a few pounds he could be a great fit for a DE spot in a 3-4 defense his agent has said that "he is very intrested in the broncos" and the broncos are very intrested in him he is going to meet with the broncos and the cardinals sometime today.....i think he would be a great addition.. he is a good pass rusher (has gotton 8 sacks past two years)

Try thirty pounds, utimately impossible. If 3-4, the guy will play the rush linebacker position.

jletourneau
03-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Before they came to the Broncos:

Reuben Droughns - bust- more yards than DET could dream of
Lenny Walls - not draftable- highly regarded as up and comer
Kelly Herndon- not draftable- started all year
Anton Palepoi- bust - now part of bronco future
Nick Ferguson- bust- would've started a year ago if no J. Lynch
this happens with lots of players

I'm not saying Okeafor will be great if he comes, but I'll leave that decision to Shanahan because he's certainly gotten a lot out of other teams' little plenty of other times. Just cause Seattle doesn't want him bad, doesn't mean he won't work out great here.

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
I love it.

The Dark Knight
03-03-2005, 01:53 PM
http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?t=28886

Peerless
03-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Is he big enough to play end in the 3/4?

2 Minute Warning
03-03-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't know much about him, but I combined the threads.

SeahawksForever
03-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey, Seahawk fan here, came by to visit after I heard Okeafor was in Denver testing out the free agent market.

Here's the scoop on Chike. He's a dependable D-end, stable, steady, hard working. He started every game for us the last 2 years.

Is he a sack machine? No. But he'll get 6 to 8 a year. Not bad.
Is he a force against the run? No. But for his size he does ok, works at it.

He's one of those guys that isn't as big as you'd like, or as fast as you'd like, but yet he always plays hard, and is always in the mix. Not to mention a nice guy, a "spiritual martial arts" kinda vibe about him.

I'll be honest and say I hope he doesn't sign with you guys, we want him back!! :D

2 Minute Warning
03-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey, Seahawk fan here, came by to visit after I heard Okeafor was in Denver testing out the free agent market.

Here's the scoop on Chike. He's a dependable D-end, stable, steady, hard working. He started every game for us the last 2 years.

He's one of those guys that isn't as big as you'd like, or as fast as you'd like, but yet he always plays hard, and is always in the mix. Not to mention a nice guy, a "spiritual martial arts" kinda vibe about him.

I'll be honest and say I hope he doesn't sign with you guys, we want him back!! :D
Welcome and thanks for the info :cheers:

DPg2003
03-03-2005, 02:58 PM

Yea, it looks like he wants to come to the midwest, so hopefully we don't get into a bidding war with the 'Hawks.

By the way what's the deal with your WR's??? Why didn't ya'll use some of that cap and go after D. Mason???

SeahawksForever
03-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Yea, it looks like he wants to come to the midwest, so hopefully we don't get into a bidding war with the 'Hawks.

By the way what's the deal with your WR's??? Why didn't ya'll use some of that cap and go after D. Mason???

Well Darrel Jackson used to have great hands, until he got knocked out 2 years ago in Dallas? I think that's when and where. He's never been the same since, he hears foot steps and losses concentration and drops balls.

Koren Robinson had all the potential in the world. But he has a substance abuse problem, a bad attitude, and is very immature. His game has declined since his sophmore year, pretty much bottomed out last year.

And why didn't we sign a big name receiver? No idea. Mostly we we're interested in resigning our own guys, we had 16 free agents!! 16!! One of the reasons our old President Whitsitt was fired and replaced. He was a cancer and was tearing the team apart form the inside.

OhNoKoolAid
03-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Well Darrel Jackson used to have great hands, until he got knocked out 2 years ago in Dallas? I think that's when and where. He's never been the same since, he hears foot steps and losses concentration and drops balls.

Koren Robinson had all the potential in the world. But he has a substance abuse problem, a bad attitude, and is very immature. His game has declined since his sophmore year, pretty much bottomed out last year.

And why didn't we sign a big name receiver? No idea. Mostly we we're interested in resigning our own guys, we had 16 free agents!! 16!! One of the reasons our old President Whitsitt was fired and replaced. He was a cancer and was tearing the team apart form the inside.

HaHa...Trader Bob as he was known in Portland. His work in the NBA looked more like a kindergartener's finger painting, not a well run franchise. I was astonished that you guys took so long to fire him.

SeahawksForever
03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
HaHa...Trader Bob as he was known in Portland. His work in the NBA looked more like a kindergartener's finger painting, not a well run franchise. I was astonished that you guys took so long to fire him.

People celebrated here when he was fired!

OhNoKoolAid
03-03-2005, 03:22 PM
People celebrated here when he was fired!

How did he ever get a job in sports in the first place? Portland still hasn't recovered from him, and personally, the guy they have right now is just as bad. Congrats to Cheeks for getting out of there, oh well, the NBA is a terrible product.

TXBRONC
03-03-2005, 03:43 PM

As others have said thanks for the insight. I can fully understand you all wanting a solid player back, but I have to admit if we get him I wouldn't feel to bad about it. :)

bmcl2343
03-03-2005, 04:15 PM
I really hope we get this guy.

I have to admit that I was one of those that believed we might actually employ the 3-4 as our base D. But if we sign this guy I have no doubt Denver will be employing a 4-3 base defense (And like I said - I hope we do)

TXBRONC
03-03-2005, 04:24 PM
I really hope we get this guy.

I have to admit that I was one of those that believed we might actually employ the 3-4 as our base D. But if we sign this guy I have no doubt Denver will be employing a 4-3 base defense (And like I said - I hope we do)

According to our defensive coordinator the 3-4 will be a component of our defensive schemes and that atm there isn't a plan to make our base defense. But does that mean can't their minds? Not at all. If we have alot of success with the 3-4 when it is used it wouldn't be surprising to see us move into as the base. But at the moment it looks like its only going used in part.

broncosfan247
03-03-2005, 04:44 PM
I really want to see Chike Okeafor in the blue & orange next season. The way this guy has improved in Seattle I think he's maybe 1 or 2 seasons away from being a pro-bowl DE. And he's a horse, he's only missed 5 games over the past 6 years. 3 seasons of perfect attendance lol. Agree? Disagree?

Adrenaline
03-03-2005, 04:44 PM
I really want to see Chike Okeafor in the blue & orange next season. The way this guy has improved in Seattle I think he's maybe 1 or 2 seasons away from being a pro-bowl DE. And he's a horse, he's only missed 5 games over the past 6 years. 3 seasons of perfect attendance lol. Agree? Disagree?

Agree :beer: a DE we need

Snk16
03-03-2005, 04:54 PM
http://web.denverbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28872

vicious2500
03-03-2005, 04:59 PM
http://web.denverbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28872

:beer:
Look its another FA thread ... this time its Chike holla.

Snk16
03-03-2005, 05:08 PM
:beer:
Look its another FA thread

About the Same guy.

broncosfan247
03-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Seattle doesn't mind letting him go because he gets pushed around a lot. He's small for a defensive lineman and is not a guy who can dominate against the average offensive lineman. The Broncos would be wise to look in another direction. Okeafor would be a liability in the base 4-3, and especially if and when the Broncos use a 3-4 defense.

i totally gotta disagree with ya. look at the guys stats,
1. he's done nothing but improve over the past 5 seasons.
2. he hardly ever misses a game.
3. he's got more tackles than our top guy on the line last season-->Hayward had.
4. he has not missed a game for the last 3 years.
5. he has the knowledge and talent to play almost the entire d-line.
6. and he's a good run stopping DE.

i think this guy would be a great fit into a 4-3/3-4 D

Snk16
03-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Chicken (http://biology.clc.uc.edu/graphics/taxonomy/animals/aves/Domestic%20Chicken/JSC%200105%20Chicken%2009.JPG)

:laugh:

Too Funny.

Nice job with the "Phony" Quote.

Jared
03-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Please don't ignore previous threads. Use the search or new posts functions. They are your friends.

Merged two threads both entitled "Chike okeafor"

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Will be a Broncon next season!
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/8250181

Denver has also been negotiating with free agent defensive lineman Chike Okeafor.

:rockon:

Right in yur face Mat'hir Uth Gan!

OhNoKoolAid
03-03-2005, 08:42 PM

Actually, it doesn't. The article kind of pulls the reigns in with "however, could very well be their biggest moves of the offseason." Negotiating is the same thing that New York did with Bell before they signed Pierce.

Fitzchivalry
03-03-2005, 09:18 PM

I think the Cardinals also are trying to sign him. They have more money than us.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Now now Fitz, you need to put the rest of that statement into your signature as well where I stated exactly what contract he would sign for and what position he would have to play. Those were the reasons I stated he would not be back in Denver.

I was right on everything I said. I was wrong in thinking Shanahan actually would decide to throw 30 million+ dollars at another LB. And I was wrong in thinking Shanahan would not risk upsetting DJ by making him move positions after a solid rookie season. My logic was impeccable, the decision is extremely questionable based on the massive holes we still have on the D-line with hardly any money left to address them now.

Gold - 5 years, 23 million, 8-10 million signing bonus = 30 million+ contract = 6 million per year on average.

I'm comfortable with being proven wrong because the vast majority of front office types would look at this as Shanahan losing his mind and I was DEAD ON with how much Gold would cost and what position he would demand to play.

BRONCOS_OWN_U16
03-03-2005, 09:33 PM
lets open a lemonade stand and have a fund raiser to sign more players

Fitzchivalry
03-03-2005, 09:34 PM
MUG, you said different times that there was no way it would happen. Then when it started looking like it could happen you start trying to make it sound like you were right all along. You just keep being the most arrogant person here. You said to shame you with your dumb statements so I thought you would be happy that I took your advice. :duh:

The report I saw said it was $22,500,000 for 5 years including the bonus. That is $4,500,000 per season if that is true. I'll bet that the first couple years are cap friendly too. That is still too much because we should have spent it on the D-line but we should still get some more cap back when we trade T.P.

GIVEME6
03-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Anyone got a link for Gold's contract? I find it hard to believe he's getting as much money as Mat'hir says.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 09:42 PM
MUG, you said different times that there was no way it would happen. Then when it started looking like it could happen you start trying to make it sound like you were right all along. You just keep being the most arrogant person here. You said to shame you with your dumb statements so I thought you would be happy that I took your advice. :duh:

The report I saw said it was $22,500,000 for 5 years including the bonus. That is $4,500,000 per season if that is true. I'll bet that the first couple years are cap friendly too. That is still too much because we should have spent it on the D-line but we should still get some more cap back when we trade T.P.

I said we couldn't afford him because he would cost 5 million per season on average. And that he would have to play weakside. Those are the reasons why. And both of those reasons came true. I never changed my tune once on those issues. Was I wrong on him becoming a Bronco? yeah. But did Shanahan fulfill the conditions I said would need to be fulfilled for Gold to sign with any NFL team? Yes.

Most people argued he would not get the money I said he would. He did. Most people said we would not need to move DJ. We will. So, if I was wrong once (on him becomming a Bronco), most others were wrong twice (his cost and his position). I'm ok with being wrong when the move makes hardly any sense.

ReleaseTheBeast7
03-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Anyone got a link for Gold's contract? I find it hard to believe he's getting as much money as Mat'hir says.

ESPN News reported that it was a 5 year deal for 22.5 million dollars... I don't think the bonus was that high though.

Fitzchivalry
03-03-2005, 09:52 PM
I said we couldn't afford him because he would cost 5 million per season on average. And that he would have to play weakside. Those are the reasons why. And both of those reasons came true. I never changed my tune once on those issues. Was I wrong on him becoming a Bronco? yeah. But did Shanahan fulfill the conditions I said would need to be fulfilled for Gold to sign with any NFL team? Yes.

Most people argued he would not get the money I said he would. He did. Most people said we would not need to move DJ. We will. So, if I was wrong once (on him becomming a Bronco), most others were wrong twice (his cost and his position). I'm ok with being wrong when the move makes hardly any sense.
You also said that Gold was all mad at Shanahan and wouldn't come back. You gave all kinds of different reasons and said it wouldn't happen. You didn't say if this or if that happens then maybe. You just said it won't happen. Now you can't even be man enough to admit you were wrong but make excuses for how your "logic was impeccable". Even when you said "If I'm wrong shame me all season" you can't take what you asked for. You are a sad arrogant person. "I'm in law school. I'm never wrong even when I'm wrong." :duh:

People like you make me sick. I'm outta here.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 09:53 PM
I may have misread the bonus part then, I was under the impression the bonus was on top of the contract, making it 30 million overall. I thought 6 million per year was high, so that makes more sense. I predicted his value at 5 million per year, so having it be 4.5 (with bonus included already) makes my prediction even closer.

I think you are right with the bonus being included Fitz. That makes more logical sense. If not, then Shanahan really overpaid.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
You also said that Gold was all mad at Shanahan and wouldn't come back. You gave all kinds of different reasons and said it wouldn't happen. You didn't say if this or if that happens then maybe. You just said it won't happen. Now you can't even be man enough to admit you were wrong but make excuses for how your "logic was impeccable". Even when you said "If I'm wrong shame me all season" you can't take what you asked for. You are a sad arrogant person. "I'm in law school. I'm never wrong even when I'm wrong." :duh:

People like you make me sick. I'm outta here.

Ok, youre annoying me now. Let me dig up all my posts on Ian Gold just for you.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Here's everything I said:

Posted by me: 3-1-2005

Can't afford Gold. Period.

Nope. Won't happen. If it does, someone put this in their sig and shame me all season. Gold will command 5 million per season as a weakside LB. He will ONLY sign for a team that allows him to play weakside LB. That's straight from his mouth and why Tampa did not try to renegotiate. There is no weakside LB in a 3-4 and if we were 4-3, guess who plays it....DJ Williams.

And to the smartass, we can afford probably two upper middle contracts. One will be Ben Hamilton. The other? My guess a DE such as Marquis Douglas.

After that, we need to have cap space to sign warm bodies for depth along both lines.

Woah, now Ravage. Gold certainly was good enough, he told Tampa he would not resign because he would not play strongside LB again. He signed a one year deal, it just appeared as a 5 year contract. Its similar to what Lepsis signed the other day, a one year deal that looks like a 4 year contract. Gold just wanted to prove he was healthy, he did.

But I agree, there is no need for us to re-sign Ian Gold with our current crop of LBs. The only move that would make sense would be if we stayed in a 4-3 and switched Williams to the strongside. Even then, the salary cap is not on our side this offseason. There is just no reason to bring him back at all with our current roster and 3-4 plans.

Posted by me: 3-02-2005

Everyone has their own opinions, but I would feel comfortable betting my life that Ian Gold is not only better then Al Wilson, but a much better overall LB then Al Wilson, when healthy. Ian Gold dominated games when he played the weakside. TEs could not even come close to catching passes on him. Al Wilson can't cover in the same league as Gold. Al Wilson is not as fast as gold, and Al Wilson has the same critique that Gold does, he gets knocked off by blockers. Well, every LB gets knocked off by blockers, see Ray Lewis. Gold just beats them to the play due to his speed. Ian Gold was a great blitzer due to his speed. Ian Gold could outrun the fastest RBs sideline to sideline due to his speed. Al Wilson makes roughly 100 tackles a year as your basic run of the mill MLB. He is a good leader and is intelligent, but he's not a superior LB by any means.

Posted by me: 3-2-2005

That argument doesnt work so well TXBronco because Gold actually covers better then any safety we have on our roster atm, and he may be on par with a few of our CBs.

Gold does give a unique element. You could essentially line up as a 3-3-5, and just rove Gold all over the place, drop him back deep as a safety or have him blitz from the edge.

Coverage would not be an issue with him, he can shut down TEs and cover zone as good as anyone. Screw it, I hope we re-sign Gold. The things you can do with someone like him are countless. It makes no sense financially and doesn't help our D-line one bit, but backend the deal, blow up our future cap space and bring him in. I'll cheer it, I love the guy.

While Ian Gold is one of my favorite players and someone I think will be a true superstar, it makes zero sense for the Broncos to spend a ton of money on him. Even if we switch to the 3-4, I'm not sure where he plays. He's smallish to play OLB, and putting him inside replacing Pierce doesnt make a lot of sense either.

I suppose you could scoot DJ inside in the 3-4 with Gold outside, and that may work to take advantage of Gold's elite coverage skills, but it makes no sense to throw that kind of money, 5 million plus annual salary on average, at another LB.

Gold makes the most sense if we stay in a 4-3 and move DJ to the strongside, but once again, the cost/benefit ratio of spending a ton of future cap space on another LB makes no sense unless Wilson is going to be cut soon, and that's not likely.

But then again, Shanahan rarely makes sense. I would love to hear the reasoning for even having Gold come in for a visit. If we signed the guy, I would love it...and I would hate it. It would likely mean we have no money to address the D-line once again. Or we could backload him, but then that's going to be tough on the future cap, and still we have no D-linemen signed long term. The money would be better spent on the D-line.

Now, don't remove that sig when everything I said turns true. He hasn't signed yet and if he does, 5 million per season at WLB. Williams would have to scoot. I gave a conditional statement, Gold would not sign with a team unless "X" conditions were satisfied. Let's see if they were. I did not think based on last offseason there was a chance in hell he would come back to Denver though, I'm flabbergasted.

Bronco51,

In the 3-4, it's tricky. Gold would be an OLB, Williams would probably move inside along with Wilson. That kind of negates Pierce once again. The other OLB spot is usually held by a small DE tweener type such as Palepoi or Chucky. This makes very little sense to me. The 4-3 would make a lot more sense by moving Williams to the strongside and putting Gold back at weakside. But then, we need some DEs, and we need them fast. We also need to lock up impact DTs for more then 1 season. Either way, I think Gold is an elite player, and getting an elite player is always good, but I'll be damned if it makes any sense.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 10:23 PM
MUG... considering you said that Gold was the SECOND best LB behind RAY LEWIS.. then I would say we got him at one HECK of a bargain!!! Wow.. we got the second best LB in the LEAGUE now.. according to you.. for only 4.5 million....

What? I quoted that from an article on Scout.com. I never said that. Come on now, keep it to things I actually said.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=2&c=242749

I loved this quote:

Quote:
At the onset of free agency, the Denver Broncos had to make a choice between linebackers Al Wilson, who they signed to a $43 million contract or Ian Gold who might be the second best linebacker next to Ray Lewis playing in the NFL today.

rcsodak
03-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Well, mug...I specifically remember posts where it was said that because Gold felt slighted, last year at draft time, he'd NEVER play another game in the O&B.
Now either it came from your fingertips, or razor's...... :confused:

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Well, mug...I specifically remember posts where it was said that because Gold felt slighted, last year at draft time, he'd NEVER play another game in the O&B.
Now either it came from your fingertips, or razor's...... :confused:

Nothing showing up in my last 500 post searches for that....

Hmm, I remember arguing with Javalon saying that he was slighted and that he was pissed at Denver for reneging on an oral contract he thought he had set up on draft day right before they drafted Williams. That's about as far as I took it though, at that point in time, he had just signed with Tampa and coming back to Denver was far from my mind. Almost a year ago.

Javalon posted a few days ago that the animosity between Gold and Denver might make his coming back unlikely. I agreed with that though I don't think I posted a reply.

On this topic though, I PRAY Ian hosts a chat at some point because Jav and I have a longstanding war on exactly what went down a year ago with his contract situation. I would like to clear that up.

rcsodak
03-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Nothing showing up in my last 500 post searches for that....

Hmm, I remember arguing with Javalon saying that he was slighted and that he was pissed at Denver for reneging on an oral contract he thought he had set up on draft day right before they drafted Williams. That's about as far as I took it though, at that point in time, he had just signed with Tampa and coming back to Denver was far from my mind. Almost a year ago.

Javalon posted a few days ago that the animosity between Gold and Denver might make his coming back unlikely. I agreed with that though I don't think I posted a reply.

On this topic though, I PRAY Ian hosts a chat at some point because Jav and I have a longstanding war on exactly what went down a year ago with his contract situation. I would like to clear that up.

So true. Its been fun watching the 'war' from the sidelines.....kinda know how the French feel.... ;)

DPg2003
03-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Reggie Heyward - 5 years, 25 million (10 million singing bonus) = I told you so.
Ian Gold - 5 years, 23 million, 8-10 million signing bonus = I told you so.
Hamilton - 5 million average salary per season = ?
The 3-4 will be our base defense next season = ?

Hey man here's Hamilton's contract so you can update your sig:
from http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2004103&num=3

The Broncos also re-signed left guard Ben Hamilton to a five-year, $16.25 million deal that included $5.5 million in guarantees.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey man here's Hamilton's contract so you can update your sig:
from http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2004103&num=3

The Broncos also re-signed left guard Ben Hamilton to a five-year, $16.25 million deal that included $5.5 million in guarantees.

Damn, missed on that one. Hamilton would have made a lot more if he had tested Free Agency. Thanks for heads-up.

DPg2003
03-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks for heads-up.

No problem.

Hamilton would have made a lot more if he had tested Free Agency.

Yea man, what a steal. He would have gotten a huge contract to go play C somewhere this season.

JRWIZ
03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
So true. Its been fun watching the 'war' from the sidelines.....kinda know how the French feel.... ;)

Oh RC you are so wrong!

The french never watched from the sidelines always saw the war from two perspectives in the rear view mirror, when they were running and looking up as they were being run over.

Sorry, the devil made me do it.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-04-2005, 02:16 AM
I just disagree. The Seahawks defensive front last season was horrible and they were anchored by Okeafor. He's too small to play effectively in the 4-3. He has the size of a big linebacker. If he's such a good run stopper, it sure wasn't evident last season. I think Seattle's leading tackler last season was a cornerback. Not a ringing endorsement for a defensive lineman.

Shanahan, please don't waste money signing this guy.

Bravo!! I concur!

SeahawksForever
03-04-2005, 09:08 AM
From what I've seen, Jackson isn't the one who hears footseps as you claim. He has excellent hands and shows a lot of big play potential. I see him make a lot of difficult catches in a crowd and take a shot and just shake it off.

Robinson is the drop machine. I don't know why Holmgren has kept him around so long.

Jackson drops ALOT of balls, trust me, I watch every Seahawk game, he hasn't been the same since he was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe concussion. I'm not saying he isn't a good receiver, he is, but his drops have increased post concussion.

Holmgren has a sweet spot for Koren, he admits it. It's a father son kinda dynamic between the two, Koren is fighting some demons and Holmgren is defiantly in his corner, personally I'd like to see him cut.

SeahawksForever
03-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I just disagree. The Seahawks defensive front last season was horrible and they were anchored by Okeafor. He's too small to play effectively in the 4-3. He has the size of a big linebacker. If he's such a good run stopper, it sure wasn't evident last season. I think Seattle's leading tackler last season was a cornerback. Not a ringing endorsement for a defensive lineman.

Shanahan, please don't waste money signing this guy.

Yea, our corner Trufant led the team in tackles, scary huh?

But our line is actually anchored by Grant Wistrom, and the reason why our front seven was so horrible was injuries, plain and simple. Our top 4 linebackers were down, Wistrom was injuried twice, it was a bad year.

Okeafor would be fine IF he has talent around him, like I said he is a steady workhorse kind of player, he isn't a dominator. If you guys have decent linebackers behind him and good tackle next to him, he could be effective and a great piece of the puzzle.

sirspence007
03-04-2005, 09:47 AM
No matter wat u all think Broncos inked him

TXBRONC
03-04-2005, 10:05 AM
No matter wat u all think Broncos inked him

Ok, do you have proof. Last I think I read in today's RMN is that he's headed to Arizona today after his visit here.

sirspence007
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Ok, do you have proof. Last I think I read in today's RMN is that he's headed to Arizona today after his visit here.

DENVER (March 3, 2005)
Denver has signed free agent defensive lineman Chike Okeafor. The signings of Gold, Hamilton and the trade for defensive lineman Gerard Warren, however, could very well be their biggest moves of the offseason.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-04-2005, 10:20 AM
DENVER (March 3, 2005)
Denver has signed free agent defensive lineman Chike Okeafor. The signings of Gold, Hamilton and the trade for defensive lineman Gerard Warren, however, could very well be their biggest moves of the offseason.

That's not what it says. Don't change the words.

TXBRONC
03-04-2005, 11:03 AM
DENVER (March 3, 2005)

Bud you're not reading that article correctly. It says that Okeafor has been in negotiations with Broncos that means they haven't reached an agreement just yet.

DPg2003
03-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Okeafor has two offers on the table he's considering. ! from Seattle and 1 from Denver. It has been reported that he will announce his decision today or tomorrow. I hope he takes Seattle's offer. He's a mediocre D lineman at best.

Yea he's nothing special. I hope Okeafor sings with either Seattle or Arizona and management turns their focus to Marques Douglas. He's a run stuffing DE and he can also force the QB to make quick decisions on passing plays.

BroncoWY
03-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Well who's special on our line that we aren't looking to trade uhhhh yea Marco Coleman was recently talked about being as good as Okeafor. Wrong! I can't believe someone would say this and to say he's average i don't think improving every year not missing many games and might sign for less than 1.7 mill is nothing special boys

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Well who's special on our line that we aren't looking to trade uhhhh yea Marco Coleman was recently talked about being as good as Okeafor. Wrong! I can't believe someone would say this and to say he's average i don't think improving every year not missing many games and might sign for less than 1.7 mill is nothing special boys

He should get a contract similar to Heywards. If he sells himself drastically short, then perhaps, but he won't. He may structure his contract to be of minimal cap value this season, but he'll get a nice signing bonus to compensate that and a back loaded deal.

I think the problem most on this board have is that if you are going to throw that kind of money around, why not sign Marquis Douglas who is a much better player. 75ish tackles, 6 sacks as a 3-4 block occupying DE. Compared to Okeafor's 55ish tackles, 8 sacks as a 4-3 pass rushing DE.