PDA

View Full Version : CS Point Question...

West
03-05-2005, 01:48 PM
...since we're getting alot of new members do you think you could add the CS Point System thread as one of the reads including the COC your suppose to right after you join :confused: I just thought since we''re getting a lot of new members they might be confused about the whole thing...But maybe im being retarded and it is already added to the mandatory reads when you join :ugh: :sad:

The Dark Knight
03-05-2005, 01:53 PM
...since we're getting alot of new members do you think you could add the CS Point System thread as one of the reads including the COC your suppose to right after you join :confused: I just thought since we''re getting a lot of new members they might be confused about the whole thing...But maybe im being retarded and it is already added to the mandatory reads when you join :ugh: :sad:

I agree that it needs to be better advertised. There's some vets here that still don't know about it. I think the scale needs to be replaced with a worded button like "contribute" or something. That will arouse some people's curosity. If it's just a tiny picture of a scale it's easy to over look again and again.

West
03-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Correct...i have came across people who have been here over a year and i say "Thats a kick ass post and you get a CS Point" and they reply "What the hell is that?"

So maybe we could keep it a sticky in GD or maybe even in every Forum just to remind people :confused:

Alastor
03-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Last I saw it was not part of the TOS that members are required to read. It can be done, but then it sort of diludes the TOS. I'm not sure that anyone reads the TOS any more than they read the FAQs either though - I know that I personally looked at it when it popped up on my screen and I thought, "Yeah, whatever. ::Click::" so I'm not certain placement there is any more potent than the FAQ and the Feedback, Announcements and General Discussion threads are.

My point is that it is in the FAQs and such... which... I guess not many people read, just like the threads and the TOS (which I admit even I didn't bother to read).

West
03-05-2005, 01:59 PM
I know im lazy and i have A.D.D so i didnt bother to read the COC when i first joined way back in 11-03 but if you sticky it in GD and every forum members who keep on seeing it and seeing it over look it and just get tired of looking at it so just read with it says...i feel im a half way normal member and thats what i'd do

just my .02 :coffee:

Alastor
03-05-2005, 02:00 PM
I think the scale needs to be replaced with a worded button like "contribute" or something. That will arouse some people's curosity. If it's just a tiny picture of a scale it's easy to over look again and again.

It's a good idea, but just as with the little orange cubes we have to represent our accomplishments, the template only allows a certain size of graphic in there - in the case of the scales it's a 21 x 17 pixel picture. Not much we can do with that. We could alter the template of course, but that's roughly 14 or 15 pages of code just to accomodate a new button (of substantial enough size that it does what you're talking about, Benny).

It could be done however.

I still feel the best advertising for the system is if you guys keep telling people about it. I mean... there are three big threads on the topic, including one in announcements and one in feedback. It's also located in the FAQs, and we've had like ten or 11 threads about it in ADF at least...

At some stage it comes down to word of mouth, or people just stumbling upon it if they're not going to look around in the FAQs and stuff to begin with. And yes, I realize the fact that most sites don't ever update their FAQs or change them from the default hampers the impact the FAQs here have, but Broncos Manager did update them all the same.

Now, an option that might work is if we sent out an email to all the members of the board telling them about the system. That can be done really easily if that's something the admin wanted to do.

Newbies would still be left to figure it out on their own though - which I imagine they'd do as soon as they got a point for something.

Alastor
03-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm feelin' ya guys. I definitely do agree that a lot of folks don't know about the system... but it's not like I can just walk over to them, pimp slap them and tell them to read the threads either.

Though I wouldn't mind trying if the team will cover my bail and legal fees.

Jared
03-05-2005, 03:05 PM
I know im lazy and i have A.D.D so i didnt bother to read the COC when i first joined way back in 11-03 but if you sticky it in GD and every forum members who keep on seeing it and seeing it over look it and just get tired of looking at it so just read with it says...i feel im a half way normal member and thats what i'd do

just my .02 :coffee:

Well, what about the people who don't search by forum, but instead use the 'search' function? They will never see it.

Snk16
03-05-2005, 08:26 PM
It definetly needs more advertisement like TDK said above. A lot of people don't know about it.

Alastor
03-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't disagree. It couldn't hurt in any case. I'm just not sure that yet another thread or notice sent in the usual manner will get that done.

Snk16
03-05-2005, 09:51 PM
I don't disagree. It couldn't hurt in any case. I'm just not sure that yet another thread or notice sent in the usual manner will get that done.

I'm sure it won't hurt.

Alastor
03-05-2005, 10:02 PM
No, it wouldn't hurt...

But at the same time, if 13 threads on the topic and four notices isn't enough, I'm not certain that cluttering the boards with 15 more of each is the answer either.

You guys (word of mouth) really are the best form of advertising. That's true in any area of marketing even in the modern world of TV and radio. Word of mouth gets attention more than any other form of advertising.

So... do what you do best. Shoot your mouths off!

Snk16
03-05-2005, 10:07 PM
No, it owuldn't hurt...

But at the same time, if 13 threads on the topic and four notices isn't enough, I'm not certain that cluttering the boards with 15 more of each is the answer either.

You guys (word of mouth) really are the best form of advertising. That's true in any area of marketing even in the modern world of TV and radio. Word of mouth gets attention more than any other form of advertising.

So... do what you do best. Shoot your mouths off!

Ah, I see. I tell the people who ask me for sigs about it. Is taht good?

Alastor
03-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Yeah. I mention it randomly in some of my posts too. Then someone might talk about it a bit or ask about it or something. Just keep mentioning it. As soon as someone takes a good look at the pages they're bound to see the bright orange sqaures...

The more we talk about it the more likely those that are unaware will realize what it is.

JWinn
03-06-2005, 03:17 AM
I think TDK has the right idea.

How about just changing the icon to two little thumbs, one up & one down. And swithing places with the post number, maybe making IT a little bigger?

Maybe you just need a catchier icon, something not so formal. Maybe brighter.

:eek:

Edit....I want to add that there should be at least an announcement sticky in every forum. It's the only way to really "advertise" the system itself. & your going to have to leave that sticky there forever, honestly, if you always want new members to see it. Maybe not every forum, but most of them.

Alastor
03-06-2005, 03:27 AM
Keep in mind this isn't just like rewriting an essay for English, it's code and a single line can take upwards of an hour to write so that it works. Microsoft programmers on average, produce ten lines of workable code per day.

Do you want to rewrite the 15 pages of code to change the icon?

Newbies will often probably learn about the system when they get their first comment or points.

I do think we could brighten up the icon so that it grabs some more attention than it currently does. Changing the size or layout or what have you though... that's a whole nother animal, and not a small critter at that.

Alastor
03-06-2005, 03:30 AM
Reminder: 21 x 17 pixels. Can you draw two thumbs, one pointing up and one pointing down so that it looks remotely like anything we'd recognize in that amount of space?

I'm sure we can improve the icon. I'm not certain we can get a high degree of detail into it though.

Snk16
03-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Reminder: 21 x 17 pixels. Can you draw two thumbs, one pointing up and one pointing down so that it looks remotely like anything we'd recognize in that amount of space?

I'm sure we can improve the icon. I'm not certain we can get a high degree of detail into it though.

Yeah, I think it's pretty hard to have 21 X 17 and still have detail.

JWinn
03-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Sorry Alastor. I was just fishing for ideas.

I dont know squat about lines or code. I was just trying to give my idea to make it more visible, that's all.

Snk16
03-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Sorry Alastor. I was just fishing for ideas.

I dont know squat about lines or code. I was just trying to give my idea to make it more visible, that's all.

Trust me, I know jack about it also, all I know is that it's a very complicated system.

JWinn
03-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah. I wasnt thinking about that when I suggested it.

My bad.....

Snk16
03-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah. I wasnt thinking about that when I suggested it.

My bad.....

The system's like this (http://img192.exs.cx/img192/8817/complicatedsystem9re.jpg)

Alastor
03-06-2005, 04:35 PM
The "Endless Catalyst" pic is neat.

No need to apologize. Always ask questions. I apologize if I came off any way other than open about it.

I'm not even saying it's not doable.. just mentioning what all's involved with it if they chose to go that way (and we actually discussed it when we put the system in).

And of course Bronco's Manager makes the final call on that stuff I suspect. I'm just the peanut gallery.

Keep it coming. I mean... I do think you're right, a lot of folks still don't know about it. it never hurts to ask. Just that this one would be a major project, bigger than the installation of everything I did before, easily.

Snk16
03-06-2005, 06:20 PM
The "Endless Catalyst" pic is neat.

No need to apologize. Always ask questions. I apologize if I came off any way other than open about it.

I'm not even saying it's not doable.. just mentioning what all's involved with it if they chose to go that way (and we actually discussed it when we put the system in).

And of course Bronco's Manager makes the final call on that stuff I suspect. I'm just the peanut gallery.

Keep it coming. I mean... I do think you're right, a lot of folks still don't know about it. it never hurts to ask. Just that this one would be a major project, bigger than the installation of everything I did before, easily.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the props. I literally put that together in 30 seconds. The saving and hosting took a bit longer but I made the pic in litterally 30 seconds, not meaning to brag of course/

orangenblue420
03-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Keep in mind this isn't just like rewriting an essay for English, it's code and a single line can take upwards of an hour to write so that it works. Microsoft programmers on average, produce ten lines of workable code per day.

Do you want to rewrite the 15 pages of code to change the icon?

Sounds like someone is just being a bit lazy to me :D :P ;)

RealBronco
03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm feelin' ya guys. I definitely do agree that a lot of folks don't know about the system... but it's not like I can just walk over to them, pimp slap them and tell them to read the threads either.

Though I wouldn't mind trying if the team will cover my bail and legal fees.

hahahahahahahaha....ah...that's good stuff Al.

Snk16
03-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Seems, a lot of people are getting to know it now.

Alastor
03-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah, the more it's used the more it will catch on. It's a self-fullfilling prophecy. So sayeth the drunk guy.