PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Deltha?

AsianOrange
10-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Before the season started, we all talked about our secondary. I think they proved they can play. I'm very surprised to see Kelly Herdon play as well as Lenny Walls.

But what about Deltha O'Neal? The guy is sitting on the bench...the same spot at the end of last season. Will they cut him next season?

TD30
10-31-2003, 09:59 AM
Maybe better to keep him for nickel & dime situations? He has tallent, just does not mentally "stay" in the game.

dandaman23
10-31-2003, 10:02 AM
When is his contract up?? What has been wrong with him is he just having an off year or what. I mean I remember either last year or the year before he had I think 4 ints in one game. I dont think we should cut him but maybe get a trade for him. I know we are paying him alot and I'm sure we could get a trade. I dont really want to trade him because he is one of my favorite DB's in the league but if he isnt going to do nothing then we need to get a player who will do something besides sit on the bench.

AsianOrange
10-31-2003, 10:04 AM
I don't think teams would trade up for him. I would bait him though during draft day. As well as Kelly has been playing, it wouldn't surprise me that they let him go.

PatsFAN77
10-31-2003, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't trade a 6th round pick or a bowl of soup for him. He stinks and the Bronco's are the only team he'd possibly start for. Be happy you have his 2nd rate @ss........the rest of your team stinks just as bad.

BroncoStud102
10-31-2003, 03:52 PM
Man Horseface I agree with your points here, this kid is (edited). Patsie stfu, please do us ALL a favor. How about them Red Sox!!!! Woohoo go Pedro!

Elway
10-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Every team needs a good water boy... Deltha might fit the bill perfectly. He is at a point where his potential no longer outweighs his inconsistency, he is a liablity on the filed as a CB and a returner.

broncos4ever
10-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Wait a minute guys... Let's see if Deltha can turn it around this season, if Shanahan has not already written him off. This is Deltha's make or break season. He has tremendous talent and has the best hands on the team for interceptions. When he wants to play he is one of the best cornerbacks around. He now says he wants to play...

I say time will tell... I have seen to many Bronco players leave the organization and become a "star" for another team. I would hate to see that happen to "Deltha".

DavisMVP
11-01-2003, 07:11 AM
O'Neal is still our best corner. I was at the game last Sunday and Kelly got beat on a 33 year pass by Todd Heap and, he gave up a touchdown. Walls could'nt stop Sorry Taylor from getting 3rd down on a 3rd and 7. I just think that no matter who we get in our secondary they will never be good, Until we get some new DB coaches! All our corners that leave always play better some where else!

Return of Lava
11-01-2003, 06:36 PM
You know thats actually true! Tory James, Denard Walker is even playing well! The coaching is lacking there defintly! Oneal should be a star by now but the coaching isnt teaching him the little things

broncos4ever
11-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Return of Lava
You know thats actually true! Tory James, Denard Walker is even playing well! The coaching is lacking there defintly! Oneal should be a star by now but the coaching isnt teaching him the little things

I'm sure that will be looked at when this season ends if they do not get more interceptions... Mike is starting to wonder why we are not getting more take-aways and has openly said it needs to get a lot better... I believe that statement is definitely pointed at David Gibbs and others. Hopefully Jimmy Stewart can make a difference in that coaching staff.

Return of Lava
11-01-2003, 06:57 PM
you mean jimmy spencer?

watermock
11-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Trade him and move up to get DeAnglo Hall.

watermock
11-01-2003, 08:40 PM
It's hard to say if Denver can even keep both of it's corners. Hopefully we can, but with Deltha and Willie both bonafide busts, there has to be another corner drafted.

broncos4ever
11-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Return of Lava
you mean jimmy spencer?

Yes Jimmy Spencer, I guess I am showing my fathers age, even though I have seen some great moves with Jimmy Stewart.

My slip-up, thanks for catching it.

EddyMac8708
11-01-2003, 09:48 PM
I really don't know. One play you love him then the other you hate him. If the secondary coach can somehow get him to be consistiant, than keep him but I don't see that happing. At least hes not as bad as Ray Crocket.

vegasbronco
11-02-2003, 12:22 AM
Deltha was in my eyes going to be the next stud on Defense, but he never panned out.

I think we should play him until he breaks, for the rest of the season, then dump him if he does not show the skill and talent that he should be by this time in his career. I think he has just given up and does not care anymore, maybe Ray Rhodes destroyed him.

Bronco_In_AUS
11-02-2003, 11:23 PM
i hope they give deltha another shot ..... i think he is a huge talent .... but he is definately lacking some confidence ... but when he is on .... he is on! Why are we not getting any picks this year ?? the only ones i can think of is against cinci .... and that was gold's pick for a td ... are they not practicing int's at training ?

souljuice9
11-03-2003, 12:14 AM
YOU GUYS ARE ALL JACKASS' I HAVE WATCHED HIM PLAY FROM HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE AND NOW PROS. I HAVE SEEN SOME GREAT BRONCOS... HAVE BAD SEASONS ( SHARPE, ELWAY, MCAFFREY) SO DONT GO SAYIN YOU NEED TO TRADE UP FOR A GUY WORTH BETTER... WHERE ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO FIND A GUY THAT MADE PRO BOWL IN HIS FIRST YEAR. SET AN NFL RECORD... YES HE IS PLAYING TWO POSITIONS.. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME GIVE THE MAN A BREAK...

AsianOrange
11-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Well...he lost his corner job...then all of a sudden, he loses his punt return duties...well...something has to give. As many punts that Deltha has fielded...how many has he returned?

Jared
11-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by souljuice9
YOU GUYS ARE ALL JACKASS' I HAVE WATCHED HIM PLAY FROM HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE AND NOW PROS. I HAVE SEEN SOME GREAT BRONCOS... HAVE BAD SEASONS ( SHARPE, ELWAY, MCAFFREY) SO DONT GO SAYIN YOU NEED TO TRADE UP FOR A GUY WORTH BETTER... WHERE ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO FIND A GUY THAT MADE PRO BOWL IN HIS FIRST YEAR. SET AN NFL RECORD... YES HE IS PLAYING TWO POSITIONS.. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME GIVE THE MAN A BREAK...

In the NFL, you must earn your keep every season. That's why starters can get cut the next season. No one cares what he did 2 years ago. Doesn't help win games now. The hard salary cap is a beautiful thing.

He clearly either has lost confidence or lucked out his rookie year, because he his not playing well enough to justify starting or returning kicks/punts.

Not our job to give him a break. Our job to cheer if he does well, and be honest and criticize when he plays poorly. We just do it for free, unlike coaches.

BTW, no reason to make it personal by calling everyone a jackass.

And for the record, if McCaffery isn't producing, which he isn't, he should be let go at season's end as well. Sharpe is still productive.

AsianOrange
11-03-2003, 10:31 AM
It's not Mccaffery's fault he is nursing a strain quad.

I think he should be an effective receiver AFTER the bye. The Broncos need him. And once we get Jake rolling, hopefully he will get some touches.

Jared
11-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by CrazyAsian
It's not Mccaffery's fault he is nursing a strain quad.

I think he should be an effective receiver AFTER the bye. The Broncos need him. And once we get Jake rolling, hopefully he will get some touches.

You are right, but given his age and the salary cap, if you had to cut one of the following based on most bang for the future buck, who would it be:

McCaffery
Cole
O'Neal
What the hell, lets throw Lelie and Smith here

O'neal potentially may be gone based on performance. Of the rest that are left, Cole has been a disappointment, but may have some trade value. McCaffery is not lilely to have many takers on a trade, and his career is winding down.

So, if he comes back from injury and does not perform, all's fair. if he performs well, GREAT. The Broncos need all the help they can get.

My point was that the person I was responding to thought that I was holding O'Neal to a higher standard than any other player. My point is that I am not. Either perform or be replaced by someone who can.

broncos4ever
11-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Mike Shanahan once said Deltha had the best hands on the defensive team. I don't think that has changed... I really hope he can come back because we need some interceptions for our defense and he is the one that can give them to us...

AsianOrange
11-03-2003, 12:05 PM
I'm sold to Kelly Herdon. The guy plays with heart and resiliant. He can also tackle.

Now...O'Neal's deal is that he doesn't tackle....who is he? Deion Sanders?

Until he return punts, kickoffs and make a big difference in the defense, then I would fear him. But now, he's cut-material. Get rid of him and keep Eddy for one more year. He already reconstruct his contract this year...I think he's not a salary victim.

dfrivers
11-03-2003, 01:18 PM
i really dont think we should concentrate on drafting corners next year, i predict within 2 years we are going to lose most of the major players on offense, Ed mcaffrey-aged and banged up, rod smith-"the shiznit" but unfortunately getting old. shannon sharpe- probably retiring after this year or next. I think we need to balance out the d-line as far as money wise and save up dough so we can get a few crafty vet's in the secondary.

Javalon
11-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Jared
You are right, but given his age and the salary cap, if you had to cut one of the following based on most bang for the future buck, who would it be:

McCaffery
Cole
O'Neal
What the hell, lets throw Lelie and Smith here

O'neal potentially may be gone based on performance. Of the rest that are left, Cole has been a disappointment, but may have some trade value. McCaffery is not lilely to have many takers on a trade, and his career is winding down.

So, if he comes back from injury and does not perform, all's fair. if he performs well, GREAT. The Broncos need all the help they can get.

My point was that the person I was responding to thought that I was holding O'Neal to a higher standard than any other player. My point is that I am not. Either perform or be replaced by someone who can.

Actually, the Broncos might keep McCaffrey because of the salary cap. I think he's got 4 years left on his contract. If they cut him, his signing bonus will get accelerated into the next 1 or 2 seasons. If they can get him to lower his base salary and play at least good enough to be the 3rd receiver, the Broncos would be smarter to keep him on the team.

Deltha's Pro Bowl season was actually his second year with the Broncos. And 4 of his picks came in that one game vs. the Chiefs so he had 5 the rest of that season. And it's a definite bad sign when you're benched and your team in still in the playoff hunt like last year. And it's another bad sign that he was benched so early this year and the coaches don't even think enough of him to let him keep returning kicks.

DavisMVP
11-03-2003, 05:45 PM
You think O'Neal is a bust. You must not watch football or any of the games he has played in. He has more INTs. Then the rest of the Damn team combined! In his short time of playing. He has 16 INTs. in like 3-4 years of playing. The rest of the DB's can't catch.

Jared
11-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by DavisMVP
You think O'Neal is a bust. You must not watch football or any of the games he has played in. He has more INTs. Then the rest of the Damn team combined! In his short time of playing. He has 16 INTs. in like 3-4 years of playing.

INTs without tackling or cover skills are not worth it. I would rather have a corner totally shut down recievers every week, than gets INTS while giving up big plays.

Just my opinion.

DavisMVP
11-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Big plays are going to happen it is the NFL. The Broncos turn the ball over alot, so we need all the turnovers we can get. Our DB's have always gave up big plays, no matter who they were!

Jared
11-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Big plays are going to happen it is the NFL. The Broncos turn the ball over alot, so we need all the turnovers we can get. Our DB's have always gave up big plays, no matter who they were!

I respect your opinion, I just disagree.

I would point out to you that if the Broncos had better DB's. maybe they wouldn't give up so many big plays. I realize you can't totally eliminate them, but you can do your best to minimize.

And I would also say that relying on a big turnover to get the ball back is a dangerous way to try and win games.

I love lots of points, and the division is called the wild wild west for a reason, but with the exception of the Rams a few years ago, the trend for Super Bowl winners has been their good defenses. Not number 1 all the time, but good, sometimes great (Baltimore, Tampa). So I think that there are DB's who are less prone to give up big plays that the Broncos could look at. That's all. I mean, he has been benched, so clearly, the coaching staff feels he is not a quality starter either.

DavisMVP
11-03-2003, 08:50 PM
I can respect that as-well our, DB's do need to pick up their level of play or be shipped out. Or the DB's coaching staff be changed. I think that is the real problem not the player's but the DB coaching.

Elway
11-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Ok, I take back the waterboy comment and give him a pass for the week.

Woody
11-03-2003, 09:35 PM
I am now a Deltha fan haha, I couldnt stand him before

Jared
11-03-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Woody
I am now a Deltha fan haha, I couldnt stand him before

So, he gives up the winning TD pass, and you are all nicey-nice?

douceur
11-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Jared
So, he gives up the winning TD pass, and you are all nicey-nice?

He didn't "give up" that touchdown pass. He didn't have the best coverage, but it was a good play by Givens.

BroncoHerms
11-03-2003, 11:12 PM
Except for the run back, he was again horrible!! Got burned several times by "average" receivers. And the free kick return, A JOKE!!!

douceur
11-03-2003, 11:33 PM
The free kick definitely was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while by any player on any team.

SoCalBroncosFan
11-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Cut him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jared
11-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by douceur
He didn't "give up" that touchdown pass. He didn't have the best coverage, but it was a good play by Givens.

since he ws the defender assigned to cover Givens, I would say that his allowing himsel to be turned around and playing in the wrong position means that HE bears some responsibility for the TD.

Yes, it was a great throw by Brady, but QB's can't throw to you if you are covered. THAT is my point.

And what was up with the free kick? I don't know if he is just dumb, can't focus on situations, or smokes too much wacky tobaccy, but this is yet another lapse of judgement by Mr. O'Neal that shows me that he is unable to play a consistent game.

thesaint
11-04-2003, 06:34 AM
You know my biggest problem with ONeal last night? His punt return for the TD. Dont get me wrong....great play...then at about the 15 he's high stepping and acting a fool. Thought he was going to break his arm patting himself on the back. Then he gives up the winning TD. Complete prima donna. Lets cut our losses and dump him.

DavisMVP
11-04-2003, 06:46 AM
The problem is way more then O'Neal, Now people are just using him as a excuse for all the loses we have. The whole team and coaching staff need to take a good look at what is going on. And it's not all the player's fault.

thesaint
11-04-2003, 06:48 AM
And it's not all the player's fault.

I dont even have a response for this...

DavisMVP
11-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Football is a team sport, One player does not lose the the game. Everyone must be held accountable. But only a football player would understand that.

thesaint
11-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Right and players make plays. Coaches cant execute a game plan FOR them. I didnt see Shanahan chasing Branch down the field, or dropping a pass that would have converted a 3rd down.

But only a football player would understand that.

And Im not sure where youre going with this...

rascal
11-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Shanny cost the game with his pathetic handling of the clock...he simply has no idea what to do. Belichick is a genius. Read this...
www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~107~1742984,00.html

thesaint
11-04-2003, 07:28 AM
I disagree. The coaching staff DID have a bad night...dont get me wrong...but players have to make plays and they didnt. If Lelie catches that 3rd down pass....if we put some pressure on Brady...if we make a tackle on the screen plays during the final drive...Deltha gets beat AGAIN....you cant pin all of those things on Shanahan.

rascal
11-04-2003, 07:33 AM
The coaching was horrible!! How many times did the defense have no clue where to go on coverage? Numerous times. Punting twice on 4 and short inside of the 35 is just weak, plain and simple. If we convert that we can run out the clock. And what is up with special teams...Thank God middlebrooks made an awesome play on that kick return.

Sure the players missed some plays, but that is going to happen. But a coach missing a play should never happen, they have time to think about it, not react as it happens. Shanny goofed at least four times in this game, that is not worth $5 million a year. Give me Belichick anyday.

thesaint
11-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Hindsight is 20/20 especially where coaching is concerned. You can second guess every single decision a coach makes. If Shanahan runs Portis at the end and doesnt get it, we all say we went too conservative and should have thrown. If we try the field goal and miss, or go for the first down and dont get it, we say he should have punted why did he give up such good field position?
Players have to make plays. The coach cant make the plays for you.

DavisMVP
11-04-2003, 07:49 AM
Denver's play calling put your hurting defense in a bad position. Those who can't see that do not know anything about football. The defense forced two turnovers, and the offensive play calling gave the game away!

thesaint
11-04-2003, 07:51 AM
The 350 passing yards the defense gave up was all due to "being put in a bad position"? Wow....yeah I guess you dont know much about football...

Return of Lava
11-04-2003, 07:52 AM
The players did their part in contributing to the loss each CB got burned once, deltha played the better game than the starters. herndon looked to slow to keep up and walls looked like a fool on a double move. deltha just got beat on a good throw

DavisMVP
11-04-2003, 08:04 AM
Coaching gave up 350 yards, If you know your corners get burnt, why put them in man to man with no safety help over the top.

Return of Lava
11-04-2003, 08:06 AM
I agree there should have been safety help but a CB never supposed to get burnt like walls and kelly did! whats the point of playin?

thesaint
11-04-2003, 08:06 AM
Coaching gave up 350 yards, If you know your corners get burnt, why put them in man to man with no safety help over the top.

Youre high. The secondary played zone most of the evening. They went to man only once the Pats were inside the 20 which most teams do.

rascal
11-04-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by thesaint
Youre high. The secondary played zone most of the evening. They went to man only once the Pats were inside the 20 which most teams do.

No he isn't. If you are going to play zone you have to have pressure, which besides trevor and a couple of plays was non-existant. Any QB with time can sit back and wait for the receivers to find the open spots and throw it to them.

thesaint
11-04-2003, 08:13 AM
So youre saying we should have blitzed every play? What happened to getting pressure from our front four? I suppose thats the coaches fault too?

thesaint
11-04-2003, 08:16 AM
Youre telling me our defensive scheme is suddenly bad? Its been good all year up to this point. What changed? Or could it be our players just didnt play very well last night, and the Pats made some plays?

rascal
11-04-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by thesaint
So youre saying we should have blitzed every play? What happened to getting pressure from our front four? I suppose thats the coaches fault too?

No we shouldn't have blitzed every play, but we defintely should have mixed things up. Belichick made adjustments at halftime and stopped our offense cold in the second half. Coyer and Shanny didn't make adjustments and our defense got burned. That is the coaching staff's fault. It is during halftime when a brilliant coach comes through. They know what changes to make and don't need a week to determine what needs to be done. That is one thing I have noticed about Shanny, he just doesn't make in game adjustments.

DavisMVP
11-04-2003, 08:17 AM
Broncos need to take a vacation and start the second half of the season like there record is 0-0. Maybe then they can focus and win some games.

SaskBronco
11-04-2003, 08:56 AM
There is nothing left to say after those two plays last night (Free Kick, Winning TD), His stay is at an end. Shannie, you must listen, two thirds of your team(D, and Speacial Teams) are being hurt by this one Player (I use that term with a lot of sarcasim). I cringe everytime he come into the game.

PatsFAN77
11-04-2003, 09:04 AM
You guys are being a little Harsh on Shanny. I was at the game and that crowd went NUTS when the Bronco's punted and stuck us on our 1 yard line. If O'Neil fields that Punt and Bronco's can make a first down or atleast give the Pats some miserable field position for the last drive......you would have won the game.

Your players didn't execute.

cdawg1001
01-13-2006, 03:46 AM
we should trade him to the bengals to move up in the first round and draft dj williams, i think :beer:

sbutk
01-13-2006, 09:44 AM
we should trade him to the bengals to move up in the first round and draft dj williams, i think :beer:

What is the point of resurrecting this old post?

:duh:

The|Snake#16
01-13-2006, 10:19 AM

Does your computer have a 2 year delay when you post?

DrunkPanda
01-13-2006, 10:54 AM
no, he's just a retard

Ravage!!!
01-13-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm guessing the relation it has with the tough loss against NE.. when O'Neal muffed the punt. Thats the only time NE beat us with Brady.... and their last.

JRWIZ
01-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Does your computer have a 2 year delay when you post?

a pentium one with a 28k dialup modem!

Cugel
01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
This thread was by no means the worst example of Deltha bashing. There were a many more such threads all saying that Deltha was a bust. They were all wrong.

Now people are saying that Lennie Walls is a bust because Shanahan cut him. Might want to re-think that one.

The more things change. . . . :huh:

BroncoManiac_69
01-13-2006, 08:49 PM
OMG WTF? Why is this thread surfacing? O'Neal is a very good Bengal now.

JRWIZ
01-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Mikey did the right thing letting delta go cause he was a head case in DEN.

Cost us as much as or more than he produced.

Who's fault was that? Delta's only he could not keep his head into the game. Made great play and still be celebrating when someone would burn him for a TD or long gainer.

Should Mikey had more patience with him I'm not sure that he could have done more for him.

When it was obvious to everyone that he could not be trusted one on one covering someone, he was offered a chance to be productive as a WR and return guy.

He was spectacular at whatever he did, making four picks in the KC game (the only reason IMHO that he was picked for the pro bowl) or running back returns and getting toasted as a CB.

While he has a bunch of picks I have to wonder how many times someone toasted him on passes received.

Glad he plays well for someone else and hope to God he never wants to come back.