PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand you all...

Woody
11-04-2003, 12:15 AM
When Shanahan wins Super Bowls, and starts this season 4 - 0, hes a genius. He loses some games with 2 backup linemen, a 3rd string QB, 2 backup linebackers, a secondary thats below average when healthy, and you all want him fired? I think Shanahan has done a brilliant job. Every game we've lost has been real close and could have went either way. Even the Baltimore game was 9 - 6 going into the 4th quarter. Tonight we played a good football team missing everything I named above, and without a kicker, and still had the lead with 30 seconds left. Its certainly not our 2nd and 3rd string players keeping our games close, so what is it? Its gotta be coaching.

Tonight's game was lost due to not having a kicker, and lets face it, Brady just made a good throw on that TD with 30 seconds left. Sure O'neil was out of position, hence I was talking about our below average secondary.

If we would have gotten field goals those 2 times we punted the ball from the Patriots 30 - 35 yard line, due to not having a kicker, the outcome could have been different.

SoCalBroncosFan
11-04-2003, 12:17 AM
We are not taking anything away from the Pats. They won. And you are right, if our team had been healthy, it probably would have been a different story.

But, because our team was not heatlhy, that made Shanahan's decisions all the more important. And lets face it, he made some very poor ones.

JED Bronco
11-04-2003, 12:20 AM
"I told our football team that I don't know what to say," said Head Coach Mike Shanahan. "I thought we fought extremely hard. The bottom line is that in the end, we didn't get it done and they did."

This is a coach who doesn't have a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why two superbowls?

John Elway with Mikes ability to get talent.

John provided the leadership that Mike can not!!!!!!!

Believe in your line. Believe in your RB and run the ball. Win or lose you gain their respect.

Mike is all about fanesse and in the NFL it's about players making plays....Let them!!!

Woody
11-04-2003, 12:23 AM
ya I guess your right, any other coach could have played all those teams as close as Denver did with 2 backup linebackers, a 3rd string QB, 2 backup linemen, and 1 good reciever. What was I thinking?

/end scarcasm

Woody
11-04-2003, 12:32 AM
How am I making excuses? Saying its all Shanahans play calling is making excuses. "UNDERSTAND?" See, I can be a tough guy and type in all caps too...

Javalon
11-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by horseface
another coach would have won one of them tonight...stop making excuses for everyone...you even made an excuse for Madden making a stupid comment earlier. Shanahan made a few mistakes, and in retrospect, those mistakes lost the game...UNDERSTAND?

Let's not get carried away here. The Broncos made mistakes in all phases: Coaching, offense, defense, and special teams.

But what it comes down to is the Patriots played really well and beat the Broncos. They were the better team tonight.

BroncoAle
11-04-2003, 01:04 AM
It's all over the Broncos boards...

Heck, some are even calling for Jimmah Johnson.... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7151)

seahawks_fan
11-04-2003, 01:06 AM
Why does Miami and Carolina win games? Because they give the ball to their best player and RUN THE DAMN CLOCK OUT

Jared
11-04-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by BroncoAle
It's all over the Broncos boards...

Heck, some are even calling for Jimmah Johnson.... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7151)

HUH?

This IS the Bronco's board.

thesaint
11-04-2003, 06:26 AM
and with all of those mistakes...the Broncos still would have won if Shanahan knew how to control the clock.

I disagree, you cant put all of it on Shanahan. Did he call a perfect game? No, but who does? Our defense didnt step up and make plays...we gave up 30 points at home...and our offense didnt convert 3rd downs when we needed them to. Hey, if Ashley catches that 3rd down out pattern its first down and we kill the clock. Shanny cant catch the ball for him.

motarque
11-04-2003, 08:23 AM
yeah, after a loss, our hind-sight is 20-20 and we can see all kinds of things that went wrong. Shanahan makes bad calls, Lelie drops passes, secondary is giving up 15 yard pass plays left and right. The game kinda reminded me of Gannon's game last year on MNF when he ate up our defense. Last night wasn't nearly as bad, but I also stayed up to watch the game, then got my heart ripped out. I mean, Jake will help, but we can only lose 1 more game this year and have a realistic chance at the wild card. There are too many good teams in the AFC to go 10-6 and expect a playoff berth.

I hope this week off they can regroup, and make a 7 game run. Woody Paige has already written off the broncos, but I'll stick w/ 'em till the end...it may not end up pretty, and i'll might get heart-broken again, but they're my team; win or lose, they're my team.

noregap
11-04-2003, 08:25 AM
and with all of those mistakes...the Broncos still would have won if Shanahan knew how to control the clock.

This is really scary, horseface...........I agree with you 100%.
GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!

BroncoAle
11-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Jared
HUH?

This IS the Bronco's board.

I lurk on all the Broncos boards I can get my hands on. This is a fine board...

JED Bronco
11-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by thesaint
I disagree, you cant put all of it on Shanahan. Did he call a perfect game? No, but who does? Our defense didnt step up and make plays...we gave up 30 points at home...and our offense didnt convert 3rd downs when we needed them to. Hey, if Ashley catches that 3rd down out pattern its first down and we kill the clock. Shanny cant catch the ball for him.

You're missing it!!! Shanahan doesn't just equal play calling!!!

Shanny isn't the O coordinator...He is the head coach, and head coaches lead:

Players
Asst. Coaches
They step in when required on the field too (often).

thesaint
11-04-2003, 11:00 AM
Ok, so its Shanahans scheme thats awful then? It seems to have been working up until now. Why is he suddenly an idiot?
You can always second guess every coaches decision. The players have to play.

bklynbronco
11-04-2003, 02:52 PM
The game started out with two quick turnovers which we got one touchdown and a missed FG. the pats had no running game.
the denver punter kicked a Fg that was not expected. that defense was letting a third string QB move the ball on them at times so they were not dominating especially if portis still got over 100 yards on them. YES YES YES we lost and they outplayed in certain apects of the game but don't make it seem like the dominated the broncos so i will give them props for winning but i take my chances with denver and plummer at the helm next time they play.

Pres. Al Wilson
11-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Tonight's game was lost due to not having a kicker

Seems like someone should teach Knorr how to kick a field goal for such cases. That or get a back up FG kicker ... is that so radical? A back up FG kicker?! Esp. how crucial FG's are in the NFL.

Wow, I actually agree with horse for once! lol.
Sure, I think Denver still has a playoff chance. its slim, but still there. Although at this point i'll just be happy if we beat KC. That way if KC goes on to win the Bowl we can say we at least split the regular season with them. Oh yeah, that and if we beat up on Oakland again. Beating up on Oakland is always good for lifting one's spirits lol.

PG6311
11-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Guys,

I must admit that when Mike came to Denver I thought the world of him. But, over the last 4 years, I think that he needs to go. Last night was icing on the cake. Remember, we had a two-timw defending champion. If Bill Parcells can keep getting hired by the worst teams in league and turn them around in two years or less than what is Mike doing. Parcells philosophy is clock management, limt turnovers, and solid defense. When his players stink, he let's them and the rest of the world know. Anyone can look good when they have a HOF in Johnny Ballgame, but minus John we are barely over 500, 1 playoff appearance, quarterbacks falling over dogs, etc. That is one or two players. The 49ers lost Joe and Roger Craig and Lott and yet were still making the playoffs for years afterwards. I think it is time for a new coach and I said that last year after the Indy game in which we lost the same way; poor clock management.

Pres. Al Wilson
11-04-2003, 03:18 PM
yeah, PG i think if we stink again next year ... shanny's head might be on the block. But, like someone else said ... he just signed a big, new contract. Love him or hate him we are stuck for awhile.