PDA

View Full Version : Will the Broncos make the playoffs?

thesaint
11-04-2003, 06:53 AM
After last night, we now sit at 5-4, do we still have a shot at the wild card?

broncos_chick
11-04-2003, 07:05 AM
You must have read my mind. I logged on intending to post the same question. Strictly from a logistical standpoint, I suppose we might have a slim chance at the wildcard spot. But it's not looking very promising. There's NO margin for error whatsoever. If we don't win every single game from here on out, we're sunk. Plus, we'll need to be on the receiving end of a big huge heaping helping of luck with regard to other teams getting upsets dealt to them.

thesaint
11-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Its going to really be tough. At this point it looks to be us or Miami....and I would say they are the better team....at least right now.

rascal
11-04-2003, 07:22 AM
No way the Broncos get in, nor do they deserve it with the play calling of their dumb@ss coach.

Read this....
www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~107~1742984,00.html

GSRelyea
11-04-2003, 07:56 AM
I can't believe I am hearing all this negativity. So what if they are 5-4, they have been playing with a qb that doesn't belong on most high school squads. Allmost everybody on this site was lovin this squad when Jake was at the helm and the offense was rolling, so don't jump ship yet, we get him back after the bye and there is no reason to think that we won't get going again. In regards to Shanahans play calling, don't you all think that the offensive playcalling has to be a bit limited right now due to the lack of talent at the qb position? We have to rally around the troops, have a little faith, we WILL be playing in January.

broncos_chick
11-04-2003, 09:44 AM
So in your opinion it IS logistically possible? That's good; I just am never sure where the "cut-off point" is -- when, mathematically, a given team is eliminated from the playoffs.

kcchiefsrule
11-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by broncos_chick
So in your opinion it IS logistically possible? That's good; I just am never sure where the "cut-off point" is -- when, mathematically, a given team is eliminated from the playoffs.

8 losses

Hansolo
11-04-2003, 09:54 AM
All I can say is...

HAVE SOME FAITH PEOPLE !!!

OUR TEAM NEEDS TO SEE THAT WE BELIEVE IN THEM !

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE THAT OVER 55% OF THE FOLKS REPLYING TO THE CURRENT POLL ON THE WEBSITE THINK THE BRONCOS DON'T HAVE IT IN THEM !

ARE THESE FANS ? COME ON... WE'VE GOT TO BE FAITHFUL EVEN TO THE BITTER END !

Peace

missnay
11-04-2003, 09:57 AM
I think we still may have a chance, we can step it up a bit, because even against the Patriots last night, we played tough, so I wouldn't give up on the, and if they don't make it this season, I still beliieve fully in the Broncos, and there are plenty more seasons to go, but you never know what happpens in the NFL. Crazy things happen that you never thought would happen before!
GO PORTIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbones733
11-04-2003, 10:07 AM
yes we have a favorable schedule & a bye week to get backl on track

we definitley are still alive

Aardwolf
11-04-2003, 10:39 AM
Quite frankly, I'm astonished that it has taken this long for most of you to realize that the 2003 version of the Denver Broncos is just an average team. As we all know, average teams watch the above average teams play in the playoffs.

To me , this has been obvious since the dust settled from the draft. There has really never been any realistic reason to expect the Broncos to reach double digit wins other than blind ignorance.

I have been doing my part, trying to explain this to you since June but my attempts to bring a realistic perspective have been met with blind homerism.

I sorry that the 2003 Broncos are merely an average team but it is NOT my fault. Place the blame where it belongs, squarely on the shoulders of Mike Shanahan.

The only reason the Broncos are currently playing with a street free agent quarterback is that Shanahan is the only one of 32 people responsible for team personel decisions in the NFL that was stupid enough; yes, I said STUPID; to go into the season with only 2 quarterbacks. Even Green Bay (who has a starting quarterback that has not missed a start in nearly 12 years) carried 3 on their roster.

That one single idiotic decision abundantly demonstrates the incompetence of Mike Shanahan.

broncos4ever
11-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Aardwolf
Quite frankly, I'm astonished that it has taken this long for most of you to realize that the 2003 version of the Denver Broncos is just an average team. As we all know, average teams watch the above average teams play in the playoffs.

To me , this has been obvious since the dust settled from the draft. There has really never been any realistic reason to expect the Broncos to reach double digit wins other than blind ignorance.

I have been doing my part, trying to explain this to you since June but my attempts to bring a realistic perspective have been met with blind homerism.

I sorry that the 2003 Broncos are merely an average team but it is NOT my fault. Place the blame where it belongs, squarely on the shoulders of Mike Shanahan.

The only reason the Broncos are currently playing with a street free agent quarterback is that Shanahan is the only one of 32 people responsible for team personel decisions in the NFL that was stupid enough; yes, I said STUPID; to go into the season with only 2 quarterbacks. Even Green Bay (who has a starting quarterback that has not missed a start in nearly 12 years) carried 3 on their roster.

That one single idiotic decision abundantly demonstrates the incompetence of Mike Shanahan.

I think in other threads it was established that you were not a true fan, but a statistician.

There are some of us that still believe in the Bronco's and will believe until they are eliminated from the playoffs. We will also root for them after they are eliminated because we are fans.

Myself I put my money where my mouth is and I was at the game last night. I go to at least 4-5 games per year and support my team because I am fortunate enough to live in Colorado and support my team. I'm sure many on this board would do the same.

Win or lose they are my team. If I am a "homer" so be it. Who cares??? It is called loyalty, and if you are a true fan you stay on the "wagon", you don't jump off. Coaches come and go and so do players. We have had a rash of bad luck with injuries, but you still have to believe in the team and I do.

Mike has made some mistakes, who hasn't?? I'm sure if you were running the team, we would do better. Oh well, we have a coach that took us to back-to-back superbowls running it.

If we did not have the injuries to key positions then I would like to see where we would be then, record wise. But bottom line is we are not there and maybe this year with all the injuries will not allow us to go to the playoffs. A true fan sticks by his team.

thesaint
11-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Well put.

AsianOrange
11-04-2003, 11:16 AM
That's why I like b4e.

Well said my friend. I'm with ya!

broncos4ever
11-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by CrazyAsian
That's why I like b4e.

Well said my friend. I'm with ya!

Thanks Crazy and Saint. By the way good to see you back Crazy, whatever happened to TX???

Perry1977
11-04-2003, 12:02 PM
After reading that column posted above, by Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post, it seems to me that the guy that is calling Mike Shanahan "dumb and dumber" is turning out to be a classic case of the proverbial pot and kettle. In his column he unabashedly attacks Shanahan on the grounds of coaching incompetence and places the struggles of this team directly on his shoulders.

"Shanahan is paid more than $5 million a year to win these games.

He blew it."

Also:

"Say bye-bye to those championship aspirations.

A coach paid $5 million per year is expected to win it all.

Shanahan has failed his team, his fans and himself."

But then Kiszla manages to crush his own point he was trying to hit home, apparently unaware of what he was doing.

"I once asked coach Mike Holmgren, shortly after he cashed in on his success at Green Bay and left for the Seattle Seahawks, what was more crucial to the success of an NFL franchise, a Pro Bowl quarterback or a brilliant coach.

'Oh, a coach. Of course,' Holmgren said. Then, he laughed uproariously, to make the point that any coach who thinks he wins games without talent is soon humbled as a fool scowling under his headsets on the sideline."

Shanahan is currently coaching a team that is riddled with injuries. His starting QB is out. His back up QB is out. Both starting outside linebackers are out. Now one of the back up linebackers is out. Even his starting kicker is out.

In other words: Kiszla makes the point that any coach in the National Football League, without talented players, is going to have a very hard time winning games. This is exactly the situation that Shanahan finds himself in now, and exactly opposite the point Kiszla is trying to make with the article in the first place.

Dumb.

"With Kanell calling the shots, Shanahan has no shot.

With injuries to John Mobley and Ian Gold, Shanahan is left defenseless."

Dumber.

What about the fact, that even without all the lost talent, the Broncos were in a position to win the game up until 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter?

Yes there were some key mistakes in this game, both by the coaching staff and the players. But when you can't attempt a field goal from the opponents' 33 yard line because your kicker is hurt; that is coaching against adversity.

Not only is the glass half empty with Kiszla, but apparently the common sense jug is half empty, too.

It is amazing how such a prominent publication as the Denver Post can boast such a poor column written by an angry halfwit.

"In what other white-collar profession would an employee who has failed to meet his own expectations be given a raise and a contract extension?"

I couldn't have said it better myself. I hope your editor is watching.

BroncoCy
11-04-2003, 12:03 PM
If the broncs make it to the playoffs...I will go to a Nuggets game. I swear:)

thesaint
11-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Perry1977
After reading that column posted above, by Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post...

Kiszla's an idiot and always has been. You wont find many writers less respected by their peers than he is...

RealBronco
11-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by rascal
No way the Broncos get in, nor do they deserve it with the play calling of their dumb@ss coach.

Calling Shanahan a dumbass probably overdoes it a bit. Yeah, I don't know why he decided to punt twice and throw on 3rd and 4 when Portis clearly could have gotten them in at least 2 plays... The fact is, I still blame it all on O'neal for not even trying to cover that TD pass.

Captain Kirk
11-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by GSRelyea
........ In regards to Shanahans play calling, don't you all think that the offensive playcalling has to be a bit limited right now due to the lack of talent at the qb position? We have to rally around the troops, have a little faith, we WILL be playing in January.
Well I agree up to that point. Clinton up to that drive was pounding out 3-4 yards a snap. He had his mo-jo rolling. Then they fricken THREW three times in a row when all they needed to do was run out the clock. So you say Portis may have been winded? We had time outs. We have fullbacks that can pound the ball also. Howabout some misdirection running plays.
Shanahan, at a time when the team was looking confident, showed no confidence in the team by that play calling. HE LOST THIS GAME!!!

rascal
11-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by RealBronco
The fact is, I still blame it all on O'neal for not even trying to cover that TD pass.

See I don't blame him for that TD pass. How many yards did the D give up on that drive to allow that to even be a possibility? How many times did the secondary get burned during the game. They gave up 350+ yards and big play after big play. That was one of the weakest zone defenses I have seen. Thank GOD Brady isn't Gannon or it could have been another nightmare. I think it falls on the secondary as a whole, not just Oneal. Now the free kick return is a different story in my book. Although others, most notably Lava, would disagree with me. But that is for you to decide.

Captain Kirk
11-04-2003, 12:21 PM
... The fact is, I still blame it all on O'neal for not even trying to cover that TD pass.
But you couldn't have had to blame it on O'neal if they just would have RAN out the clock. (notice the word RAN!!!)
I bleed O&B also, living in TX amongst all the Cowboys and Texans, (used to be Oilers and they were crazy fans I'm tellin you) but I have to call it as I saw it. Shanahan Blew It!!!
However, they go into the bye. They get some injured players back, maybe a new place kicker and the schedule doesn't look too bad. The most important game coming up is the Chiefs, as it is payback time folks. Let's just hope they have had a loss or two under their belt by that time and it starts looking better for us.
All is not lost and the playoff hopes are certainly not gone.

TheGlue Factory
11-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I don't know why he decided to punt twice and throw on 3rd and 4 when Portis clearly could have gotten them in at least 2 plays...

ACtually no. In the few drives before that Portis had been stuffed at least four times for 1 yard gain or less. I do agree that Portis should have been run more but even an ant can coach the day after.

O_n_B_indaLou
11-04-2003, 12:33 PM
I voted yes by the way.

Have faith, mate.

A lot of things can happen in the last half of the season.

A lot of key players will return after the bye week and hopefully re-ignite the stellar team that we are used to watching.

Holmesfan
11-04-2003, 12:54 PM
The Broncos ONLY have 4 losses!!!!! A previous post stated that even if the Broncos won out they would miss the playoffs. I don't think I can ever remember a 12-4 team not making the playoffs. Denver has a bye to get healthly and then a softer schedule for the next five games. That is enough for them to get thier confidence back. But I'm really starting to think there is a higher power working against the Broncos this year. I can't ever remember a rash of injuries this bad. The Broncos playing with a 3rd string QB, top WR out, two starting LBs out, and then you lose your kicker in the 1st half in a game that you knew was going to be decided by a FG or less. I don't know what it is, but Shanny must have some bad mojo working against him. I pray the Broncos get healthy and get on a roll in the second half. It's long from over, look at the Faiders last year.
GO BRONCOS

Aardwolf
11-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by broncos4ever
I think in other threads it was established that you were not a true fan, but a statistician.

Yes, that has been SAID but not "established". Perhaps you do not know what the word "established" means. I have been a fan of this game and of the Denver Broncos for longer than most of you have been alive. I just happen to be realistic. Reality is a place that some of you might want to at least VISIT sometime.

Originally posted by broncos4ever
If we did not have the injuries to key positions then I would like to see where we would be then, record wise. But bottom line is we are not there and maybe this year with all the injuries will not allow us to go to the playoffs. A true fan sticks by his team.

Oh Boo Hoo!!! Injuries? The team that handed the Broncos their collective asses last night has suffered many TIMES more injuries than the Broncos and they don't whine about it. They simply go about their business and win the games.

Injuries are a part of the game and the Broncos have actually suffered less from injuries this season and the previous several seasons than any team, certainly far less than average. The problem is not injuries, it's mediocre personel. Many of the Broncos players are marginal at best. The defensive backfield has nobody that is a true NFL starter. Ephrim Salaam is nothing more than a speed bump. The receiver corp is aging rapidly and the only young receiver with any potential whatsoever still can't be counted upon to make a clutch play. The quarterback situation is a downgrade from last season. And going into the season with ONLY 2 quarterbacks was pure insanity. Nobody has even thought of pulling a dumb stunt like that in years.

I would love to see the Broncos become a good team again but I'm not blind nor stupid. I can plainly see the many flaws and I'll be damned if I'm not going to point them out, like ANY TRUE FAN SHOULD.

I'm sorry if you don't like it but a wise person doesn't shoot the messenger just because he doesn't like the truth of the message.

O_n_B_indaLou
11-04-2003, 03:14 PM
We will be in there! God dammit I have too many bets on the side this year for us not to atleast get in as a wildcard.

KC will go down in flames ... that is my prediction.

And that dumb mother ****ing columnist for the DenverPost.com is a complete asshat. Have some ****ing respect for your team. So Shanny made some bad calls ... but in all honesty the players are the ones to play, not the coach. The team didn't get the job done. If his plays would have worked out for the benefit of the team and ultimately won the game, would you be *****ing? I didn't see so much of a coaching problem as I saw a breakdown of mechanics by some players.

AND...

... if Elam were healthy last night and had a chance at those Field Goals we would have won. Woulda, coulda, shoulda ...

Anyway, I am done stewing over this loss. My FFL scores this week sucked.

We have seven more games to kick ass in and one more chance to knock off KC. If all the damned injured players come back 90% - 100% then we are gonna be rocking again. Given the right set of parametes we could be looking at something better than a wild card.

Fair-weather fans go away! Put your pessimism in your handbag and go root for the real fair-weather teams like San Fran, St. Louis or Dallas. We like the drama that Denver brings to games and we sure as hell don't cry and change our hats everytime we have a ****ty loss. And if you didn't claim you were a Denver fan after we had that ugly loss to Baltimore last year, then you don't deserve to be wearing the Orange and Blue.

rascal
11-04-2003, 03:29 PM
The team that handed the Broncos their collective asses last night has suffered many TIMES more injuries than the Broncos

Come on Aardwolf, that is a bit of an exaggeration.

O_n_B_indaLou
11-04-2003, 03:32 PM
OMG you are comparing losing New England's losses to Denver's?

LMAO!

Is NE using a 3rd string QB? Did they lose a starting WR? Kicker to boot?

Pass some of that **** around that you are smoking - because it must be some good stuff.

Pres. Al Wilson
11-04-2003, 03:36 PM
yeah, they can still make it. I mean, Oakland was 4-4 and made it to the Big Bowl, but we have get by Indy at Indy as well as Green Bay IN Green Bay and in December none the less. They can do it but we can't afford any more losses.

chickennob2
11-04-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by thesaint
Its going to really be tough. At this point it looks to be us or Miami....and I would say they are the better team....at least right now.

Ia garee, but MIAMI?!?!?! Miami always looks this good until about the middle to end of November when all H3ll braks lose on the retirement home and they end up sitting near .500. We have got a chance logistically; but come on, it's gonna take a lot of help from the Almighty (like that's ever happened)

chickennob2
11-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by broncos_chick
we'll need to be on the receiving end of a big huge heaping helping of luck .

Luck... in Denver?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaha

Good luck with that one. Maybe if we moved to Nashville....... I doubt there will be a Mile High City Miracle.

Aardwolf
11-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by rascal
The team that handed the Broncos their collective asses last night has suffered many TIMES more injuries than the Broncos

Come on Aardwolf, that is a bit of an exaggeration.

Originally posted by O_n_B_indaLou
OMG you are comparing losing New England's losses to Denver's?

LMAO!

Is NE using a 3rd string QB? Did they lose a starting WR? Kicker to boot?

Pass some of that **** around that you are smoking - because it must be some good stuff.

No! I'm not exaggerating at all. Didn't you hear Michaels and Madden discussing that very thing and didn't you see the graphic illustrating how typically when team suffers as many injuries as New England, they have an extreme losing record?

In last night's game New England was playing without 9 starters and the Broncos were playing without 3, which is 3 TIMES as many.

New England was missing David Patten (WR), Mike Compton (G), Adrian Klemm (T), Richard Seymour (DE), Ted Washington (NT), Roosevelt Colvin (OLB), Ted Johnson (ILB), Teddy Bruschi (ILB), Antwan Harris (FS).

Denver was only missing Jake Plummer (QB), Ian Gold (OLB) and John Mobley (OLB).

Ed McCaffery is not even a starter anymore, Lelie had replaced him starting game #1. Salaam may be out but that's a blessing as Blake Brockermeyer is a much better player and would have replaced Salaam by now on merit.

Don't even start whining about injuries. Denver has about the average amount of injuries for an NFL team, if not LESS.

broncos4ever
11-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Aardwolf
No! I'm not exaggerating at all. Didn't you hear Michaels and Madden discussing that very thing and didn't you see the graphic illustrating how typically when team suffers as many injuries as New England, they have an extreme losing record?

In last night's game New England was playing without 9 starters and the Broncos were playing without 3, which is 3 TIMES as many.

New England was missing David Patten (WR), Mike Compton (G), Adrian Klemm (T), Richard Seymour (DE), Ted Washington (NT), Roosevelt Colvin (OLB), Ted Johnson (ILB), Teddy Bruschi (ILB), Antwan Harris (FS).

Denver was only missing Jake Plummer (QB), Ian Gold (OLB) and John Mobley (OLB).

Ed McCaffery is not even a starter anymore, Lelie had replaced him starting game #1. Salaam may be out but that's a blessing as Blake Brockermeyer is a much better player and would have replaced Salaam by now on merit.

Don't even start whining about injuries. Denver has about the average amount of injuries for an NFL team, if not LESS.

As I said in another thread...

When your missing your starting quarterback, second quarterback, two starting linebackers, offensive tackle, starting wide receiver, I would say that is huge. You have your own opinions about our starters, but don't think everyone shares them. YOUR ARGUMENT DOES NOT HOLD WATER IN MY BOOK!!!!

Besides the list of players that were hurt and starting on our injury list....

Give me a break.