PDA

View Full Version : What team will win the National Championship?

dandaman23
11-05-2003, 08:48 PM
I just wanted to know who you all thought was going to win the NCAA National Championship. I think Oklahoma will win. I'm not sure who they will play but it could be USC they look great right now.

RunByDesign
11-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by dandaman23
I just wanted to know who you all thought was going to win the NCAA National Championship. I think Oklahoma will win. I'm not sure who they will play but it could be USC they look great right now.

BCS is b*llsh*t. Oklahoma is probably the best team. Big 12 is a weak conference, though.

dandaman23
11-05-2003, 09:06 PM
Ya, I agree I think BCS is sh*t. Remember 2 years ago when Miami and Nebraska were in it, Nebraska should have never been in it, well no team would have came close to beating Miami that year but still Nebraska no.

Elway
11-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Have to go with Okalahoma too, so many one loss teams out there, but I think Oklahoma will go the distance.

Jared
11-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Just for ****s and giggles, I am going to say USC. Evn though I have no interst in c0llege football thia year at all for some reason..no team is compelling me to watch. But If OU goes undefeated and meets USC, I dunno. I'm just picking the under dog for no apparent reason.

Why the hell is 1 loss Miami ranked above 1 loss Va Tech after Tech whooped their asses? Convincingly, I might add. That just proves BCS is all about money.

BroncoCy
11-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Big 12 is weak? I doubt it...the North is down a bit but the south is just stacked.

invisogothworld
11-05-2003, 11:27 PM
Ya, I agree I think BCS is sh*t. Remember 2 years ago when Miami and Nebraska were in it, Nebraska should have never been in it, well no team would have came close to beating Miami that year but still Nebraska no.

Yes I remember that. Oregon(I think it was) got robbed.

BroncoCy
11-05-2003, 11:49 PM
It was Oregon...remember Belotti(sp?) got in deep with the press after he compared having cancer vs the BCS? I also remember CU thought they got screwed...but they did have 2 losses.

neisha26
11-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Jared
Just for ****s and giggles, I am going to say USC. Evn though I have no interst in c0llege football thia year at all for some reason..no team is compelling me to watch. But If OU goes undefeated and meets USC, I dunno. I'm just picking the under dog for no apparent reason.

Why the hell is 1 loss Miami ranked above 1 loss Va Tech after Tech whooped their asses? Convincingly, I might add. That just proves BCS is all about money. Jared the reason miami is over V-Tech is Because they were #13 or 14 if i'm correct. now miami beat florida state and they are over miami but let's remember the BCS if full of it and they have been since 2000 but if they are about money believe me miami would not be #4. because when miami is in a championship game or anything related to winning BCS don't want anything to do with think about who went to the championship game IN 2000 FLA. STATE went when everyone knew it should have been miami.

thesaint
11-06-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by bcollin1
In reality, I don't honestly think it matters who plays OU.
I'd bet the outcome will be the same in any case.

Agreed. OU is loaded. I cant see anyone giving them much of a game. SC is probably the best contender, but I dont think they can hang either.

broncos_chick
11-06-2003, 07:08 AM

I think it'll be Oklahoma. Not just because I live there either.

If it isn't Oklahoma, I think it'll be USC.

noregap
11-06-2003, 08:16 AM
HEY, HEY, HEY...........Isn't there a board somewhere for this College Football stuff? This is for BRONCO TALK...THATS THE NFL....PRO FOOTBALL....take this stuff to an appropiate site...PLEASE!
IF YOU DON'T....... THERE WILL BE SOME CHIEF FAN JUMPING ON HERE AND SAYING..." THAT SINCE WE HAVE A CRAPPY TEAM WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT COLLEGE BALL."

GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rascal
11-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by broncos_chick
I think it'll be Oklahoma. Not just because I live there either.

If it isn't Oklahoma, I think it'll be USC.

You live in Oklahoma, me too. I live in Edmond.

BroncoStud102
11-06-2003, 01:19 PM
I live off by Edmond on 122nd......Small world I guess......

Anyway, OU is the best team BY FAR, and I am NOT an OU fan. Give Stoops a month to prepare for a team in the national championship and it is NO contest...

OU - 49
Whoever they play - 14

They are THAT much better than anyone else.

OrangeCrush'03
11-06-2003, 01:38 PM
Ohio State Buckeyes, #1 ranked Defense in NCAA D-1 football!

thesaint
11-06-2003, 01:41 PM
(suddenly thinking: Gee, that's funny...I thought EVERYONE in Missouri wanted to talk about football about two weeks ago...)

I guess the college game wears out quick in that state.

Most of them are bandwagon Nebraska fans anyways.

dandaman23
11-06-2003, 01:44 PM
I wouldnt bet my money on Ohio State, even with there #1 ranked defense. Its going to be OU and USC and OU will win.

Oklahoma-45
USC-20

Not even close, just like 2 years ago when Miami and Nebraska played. I think the score on that one was 37-14 if I remember right.

thesaint
11-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by OrangeCrush'03
Ohio State Buckeyes, #1 ranked Defense in NCAA D-1 football!

Actually thats not correct. Oklahoma is giving up 245 yards per game to Ohio States 255 yards per game. The Sooners have the nations #1 defense.
Plus the Buckeyes already got punked by Wisconsin.

rascal
11-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by BroncoStud102
I live off by Edmond on 122nd......Small world I guess......

Wow, I live next to Quail Springs Mall.

rascal
11-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by tahuya man
The fastest and most athletic team in College Football is USC. They are the best team in the country, but a PAC 10 team will have a hard time winning a National Title for two reasons. 1st is the East Coast bias, it does exist. Example, the Washington Huskies defeated the Miami Hurricanes a couple of years ago. The Huskies went on to crush Purdue in the Rose Bowl. Finished the season with the same record as Miami, but Miami beat them in the sports writers poll. East coast bias. 2nd is that the PAC 10 is tough. Every year a weaker team in the PAC 10 jumps up and pulls off the big upset. The rivalries in the PAC 10 are intense.

Excuse me if I am wrong, but Oklahoma is not on the east coast. The Big 12, has continued to show it is the toughest division, and the rivalries there are more brutal than the pathetic PAC 10. And no, USC is not the best team, as Oklahoma will show when they crush them. And I'm not even a OU fan.

BroncoStud102
11-06-2003, 02:56 PM
I'll bet everything I own that OU beats USC by 21 or more. Try watching a game dude, OU is clrealy the best team in college football, they don't even have to try most of the time.

USC LOST!!!

They lost to a medicore CAL team. That right there tells you they don't even belong with OU, I would like to see Ohio State play so the Big 10 would be shut up in a BIG way.

Rascal, I live on 122nd + May. I go to the Varsity on 63rd to watch the Denver game every weekend, do you?

BroncoCy
11-06-2003, 06:39 PM
I saw USC punk a very good Iowa team last year in the Orange Bowl. To think people now say they are BETTER this year? I'd hate to play them. I think it'll be USC vs OU in the Sugar with USC, yes USC winning 31-24.

Jared
11-06-2003, 07:59 PM
The fastest and most athletic team in College Football is USC. They are the best team in the country, but a PAC 10 team will have a hard time winning a National Title for two reasons. 1st is the East Coast bias, it does exist. Example, the Washington Huskies defeated the Miami Hurricanes a couple of years ago. The Huskies went on to crush Purdue in the Rose Bowl. Finished the season with the same record as Miami, but Miami beat them in the sports writers poll. East coast bias. 2nd is that the PAC 10 is tough. Every year a weaker team in the PAC 10 jumps up and pulls off the big upset. The rivalries in the PAC 10 are intense.

I wouldnt blame that on East Coast Bias so much as BCS seeing more $$$$ when Miami plays. I was in PA at the time, and a LOT of sportswriters thought Washington got jobbed.

This why I don't understand the major conferences. The fans WANT a championship tournament, but the BCS conferences, who hold all the power with the NCAA, consistently vote it down. I am fairly sure, rightly or wrongly, that MORE money would be made by having a tourney, because casual fans would get interested, much like they do for the basketball tournaments.

I personally don't think money should enter in the equation, but I know that there are bills to be paid, and that Pandora's Box was opened so long ago, its not even worth discussing.

RunByDesign
11-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by BroncoCy
Big 12 is weak? I doubt it...the North is down a bit but the south is just stacked.

With who? OU, I'll give you that. Do not try to say Texas...my goodness, they lost by how many to OU?

RunByDesign
11-06-2003, 08:20 PM

They barely beat BYU...ENOUGH said.

jake meffley
11-07-2003, 01:14 PM
usc will win it all.

oklahoma and usc should cruise into the game unscathed.
usc's loss came to a cal team that matched up well and caught usc on a bad day. usc has had the much tougher schedule, and has looked nothing but outstanding since the loss. oklahoma has been solid all year as well, but has had very few games where they needed to play tough down the stretch, and their defense is still top notch, but nowhere near the domination of year's past. norm chow's offense will find the endzone against oklahoma and one of college football's best ever programs will end their long drought (since '79 with robinson i believe)

usc-34
ok.- 23

jake

jake meffley
11-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by portisistheman
They barely beat BYU...ENOUGH said.

byu has had two really tough years now, but to their credit they played VERY well early on before losing their starting qb and their confidence at new mexico (a game byu led 10-0 at half before berry got hurt) also, byu has come apart at the seams, but remains a talented team that has simply lost confidence and is coached EXTREMELY poorly by gary crowton, who replaced a legend in lavell edwards.

byu beat a pretty good georgia tech team the week before, and the usc game was their national championship, and a game they had anticipated for years. it wouldnt have been the first time byu knocked off a top ranked team. (most notable was 28-21 over #1 miami in '90)

also, usc took the game WAY too lightly, and referred to the byu and hawaii games as "two additional bye weeks" before the games. the bottom line is that usc jumped out to an early 21-0 first quarter lead, got cozy, and fell asleep at the wheel long enough to allow byu to get back in the game.

jake

jake meffley
11-07-2003, 07:02 PM
One, too F-ing bad for BYU and its woes. Those punks wanted to join the Pac 10 a couple years ago. Too bad they didn't. The Pac 10 could use another whipping boy, and personally...there is no better candidate for a beating than anyone who goes to that school.

Two, you know the difference between USC and OU?
Pete Carroll lost his job and got body-slammed from the pros back down to the college level. Stoops is passing The Jeffersons, he's movin' on up so fast.

I'm glad Carroll has found some success, but in a one-on-one matchup, it's no contest. USC is, in fact, a good team, but they do not have enough game for OU.

Plus, the Sooners will have to kick an extra team's a$$ in the Big XII championship. That's one more week of football that USC doesn't have, so they'll be that much more rusty when they finally meet...IF they meet, that is.

is there a reason for the hostility?
why would anyone from that school need a beating?

wow, agress much?
did you get beat down by a mormon once and now think all of us are at fault?

lighten up buddy. as for the ou matchup, i think it will be a good one until late in the third and maybe into the 4th. i just think that sc's speed and size (o-line specifically) will eventually wear down oklahoma.

i agree that its still of course an "if" that they even meet, but looking at the schedule its not likely that either one loses. personally, i hope not because i think that those are the two best teams in the country, and i would enjoy watching that game a whole lot more than many of the games in recent years.

jake

ps- i forgot to add that i think you might want to reevaluate your theory on the coaches. looking at history will clearly tell you that there is often little or no correlation between college and professional coaches. here are some good examples

spurrier- great in college, about to lose his job in the nfl
erickson- same
robinson- same again. this guy won titles at sc, stunk it up with the rams, and now is having some success (i said some) at unlv of all places
walsh- opposite. a legend with the 49ers, and a train wreck at stanford.
carroll- got punted from the nfl, and has been nothing short of brilliant in bringing in chow and others, revamping the offense, and turning usc into a powerhouse like they used to be.
switzer- despite inheriting a great team and winning one in dallas, a great college coach that otherwise stunk in the nfl.

there are of course plenty of examples of coaches who've had succes at both levels, but as a whole i think its pretty clear that there is no correlation.

as for byu, i truly am curious to see where the seething hatred comes from. what's the story?

thesaint
11-07-2003, 07:42 PM
I know I cant stand BYU because they seem to go by a double standard. They used to run up scores all the time back in the 80's on teams. This year I actually heard them complain when Air Force scored a TD in the final seconds. Thats hilarious. They said the Falcons were running up the score. Good stuff.

jake meffley
11-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by thesaint
I know I cant stand BYU because they seem to go by a double standard. They used to run up scores all the time back in the 80's on teams. This year I actually heard them complain when Air Force scored a TD in the final seconds. Thats hilarious. They said the Falcons were running up the score. Good stuff.

that one i completely agree with. i spoke with many fellow byu fans and heard them whine about that td. it actually wasnt as much running up the score as it was running out the clock. byu fans are frustrated, but i told everyone i know that that doesnt mean we need to be petty and attempt to criticize a coach like deberry. the guy is pure class, and everyone knows it. anyway, i can understand the complaint, though i think complaints like that are fairly universal to the sporting world as a whole, and let me be the example that not all byu fans are ignorant enough to attack a coach that has always competed with class.

jake

jake meffley
11-08-2003, 10:25 AM
I don't know if I've ever really heard it called a double-standard, per se.

I've heard "flaming hypocrites" but never double-standard.

You know...this reminds me:
there's an old joke I heard when I first moved to Idaho. My buddies from around the country kept telling it to me, so I'll repeat it here.

Q. How many black people are there in Utah?

A. I don't know, I don't have a copy of the BYU football roster.

im quoting this one, but ill respond to all.
first, good joke above, though you might want to add the roster for the basketball team also.
the only thing ill add to that is that its not just utah. i moved fron colorado to new mexico (we'll be going back home shortly) for the year, and i can tell you in complete honesty that ive encountered three black people in nine months, and two of them in fact do play football for unm. when you've spent most of your life in big cities (denver and la), it really can be amazing how different things are in other area's of the country. i remember being a young child in venice, ca., and i thought that white people were the minority everywhere. ive been fortunate to be able to spend a substantial amount of time traveling, and its eye opening to see how the world works in other parts of the country.

to the response to the byu hatred, i must say that you expressed yourself well and have a reason to be upset. unfortunately, if you and everyone judged people based on who they identify with, our world might be an even tougher place to live than it already is. i DO NOT mean to sound condescending IN ANY WAY. i am simply trying to see if you agree that stereotyping me as you have, is identical to the garbage you endured in idaho.

obviously, you are the same person that i got into this discussion with before, and i didnt realize that until you mentioned idaho. i spent a weekend in twin falls once, though i dont presume to know how life there would be on a regular basis. i remember in one of our earlier discussions, you assumed that i hadnt lived in salt lake (or idaho) as a non-mormon. as i said then, i have.

i went to byu ONLY because i had a good experience prior, and i wanted to play basketball in that arena. i had NO intention of becoming a member of the church. it was actually the people i met that made me investigate. i was treated so kindly even though i was an "outsider" in the religous sense. i got no pressure to convert, and simply saw a group of people that AS A WHOLE were very patient,kind, well spoken, and came from apparently happy homes. i blew out my knee again, never played a minute, went home to help take care of my sick mother, but after reading the book of mormon (along with actually READING the bible also as they go hand in hand) i was baptized anyway.

as for your experience, it is obviously exactly opposite, and im deeply saddened by that. i wont question your experiences at all, i will simply say that thank God that isnt the experience of everyone. your anger and pain from being treated so poorly (and discriminatory) may never be eased, but i do hope to at least convince you that stereotyping ALL mormons because of what happened to you is not the answer. its UNDERSTANDABLE, but when that happens the seeds of prejudice are planted. someone treats you with prejudice and disrespect, and you in turn have a prejudice to anyone who claims the same religion (or school,race,sexual orientation, etc.)

okay, on to the explanation for my initial post. again, i didnt realize who you were, but i was responding to YOUR post where you stated that anyone from byu "needs a beating"
obviously a prjudicial comment like that would offend someone like me. i actually thought my response was fairly tempered considering. as for the comment to "lighten up"
well, given what you had said i meant exactly what i said. it was as simple as i could put it and also not get overly angry.
i was a psych major. i studied it for almost 6 years, i do not need a psych lesson. at the time, i was actually reacting to your derogatory comments, as opposed to my attitude in this post which is indeed to hopefully have a discussion and possibly resolve some things. at least to maybe help you see that discriminating against anyone mormon, is almost as bad as them discriminating against you.

to football after my writing a book (sorry to anyone who actually read it all)
i respect your opinion on football. i just dont agree. i will say this. stoops has been OUTSTANDING thus far, but carroll has as well. as for the programs prior, i think if you compare records year by year youll actually see that usc hadnt been anywhere near a DOMINANT team in a long time, and hadnt (hasnt) won a national championship since the 70's. either way, both programs and coaches are top notch right now, and it is more than reasonable to pick either one to win it all. mainly, i just go on the fact that usc in my opinion has enough speed and talent to get to oklahoma's defense, and i think that will be the small edge that propels them to victory in the 4th. i also feel that sc is playing in the better conference this year, and i expect that may help some also. as i said before, i certainly hope that these are the two teams playing, because i think that the matchup and game should be solid.

jake

jake meffley
11-08-2003, 05:29 PM
quality post again.
your point is well taken. i CHOSE to go to that school, and though i made NO initial inquiries about the church, i suppose it is entirely possible that i was treated differently because of my situation. youre right, i was no kobe, but in utah they hold most anyone with basketball skills in pretty high regard, especially if that person is willing to use those skills to help their school.

i really hadnt thought of it like that before. i still feel horrible about what happened to you and i cant apologize enough. it stings every time i hear someone complain of that kind of treatment. im sure it doesnt make you feel any better but i try on a regular basis to do my part to explain that being prejudicial and arrogant is an embarrassment to me and the church that they and i hold in high regard. if the mission of a church is to spread the word, you MUST only do so to willing participants, and you must be tolerant and KIND to those people who do not share your beliefs. the kind of thing that happened to you is a black eye for the church that those people represented (falsely)

if i encountered any of those people with you, i'd stand at your side and defend you all the way. it seems to me that its specific groups of mormons in high concentration area's and they sound like a bunch of spoiled arrogant little brats. they should get a dose of their own medicine for treating another person the way they treated you.

its long been discussed by mormon's OUTSIDE of utah,idaho,parts of az., etc. that the mormons in those area's often are clueless on the ways of the world. ive heard about, and personally encountered many salt lake mormons that i found to be quite clueless (i cant think of a better word. nice, but clueless)
as i said before, i havent witnessed the poor treatment of non mormons, but i can ASSURE you that it would not be tolerated in my presence.

anyway, hopefully we can become friendly, and you can say you know at least one mormon that you can talk with, and even have something in common with. nothing can make up for the treatment you received, but rest assured that there are MANY mormons away from utah that consistently preach patience,tolerance, and love for ALL PEOPLE, regadless of whether they share our religious beliefs.

as for the national championship, i agree that oklahoma is #1. to argue that would be ridiculous in my opinion. i just think that they may be taken by surprise by a team like usc. it will be interesting. maybe we could make a little side bet. loser buys the other a new bronco hat. (we have that team we both love) let me know.

jake

ps- i remember you comment about being in the navy. thank you for serving our country.

jake meffley
11-08-2003, 06:07 PM
thats a deal my friend.

ill say usc-30, ou-20

i'd have to agree with the fsu matchup.
ou-30 fsu- 17 (maybe a little closer than your score but i like oklahoma in that matchup also)

we'll see what happens. until then i look forward to some bronco talk with you. we're all down after the last few weeks, but hope is not lost. we should be able to get healthy against sd and chi before even leaving home. i expect us to beat out griese and miami for the second wild card, and then who knows. it happened in '97 so maybe we could repeat history.

so how'd you end up a bronco fan out there in florida?
also, best of luck in school. what are you studying?

say hi to sunny florida for me. ive been fortunate enough to spend some time there myself. alexander springs, orlando, gainesville, daytona, and key west. i took six months off school, lived in the car, and ate top ramen and mac and cheese to save money for gas. it was the time of my life. again, best of luck with school and everything else in life. go broncos

jake

Elway
11-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Clemson won, so FSU is going to drop some more and the Sooners put a big timebeating on today. 77-0

AsianOrange
11-10-2003, 09:00 AM
I predict...it's going to be USC vs. OU and I think USC can pull off the win!

BroncoCy
11-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by CrazyAsian
I predict...it's going to be USC vs. OU and I think USC can pull off the win!

I saw USC last year in the Orange Bowl and OU this year in Ames. There is no way in the world USC wins this one. OU might be one of the best ever teams assembled in NCAA history...and I really mean that. Bobby Stoops gets that team freaky prepared week in and out.

OU-38
USC-7 in the Sugar