PDA

View Full Version : Deltha O'Neal at WR?

ozzy_osbourne
11-13-2003, 03:32 PM
He does have some hands on him, and with the lack of depth at WR he just might work... he just needs to block and catch not cover any one...he has been sitting in on the WR mettings this week, maybe that is why Mike closed practice?

pikman
11-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by ozzy_osbourne
He does have some hands on him, and with the lack of depth at WR he just might work... he just needs to block and catch not cover any one...he has been sitting in on the WR mettings this week, maybe that is why Mike closed practice?

Hey Oz I made an earlier case for Deltha at WR and Lelie at CB. We've all seen ashley knock down some very important passes.

ozzy_osbourne
11-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by pikman
Hey Oz I made an earlier case for Deltha at WR and Lelie at CB. We've all seen ashley knock down some very important passes.

well according to Rod Smith they just might be switching him over to the offense as he was former #1 draft pick...

NOLABroncofan
11-13-2003, 03:42 PM
well according to Rod Smith they just might be switching him over to the offense as he was former #1 draft pick...

No offense meant, but how can he switch mid season and hope to pick up the complex Bronco offense ( and no, I don't need to hear any bs from the Chief fans about the complexity of our offensive game plan )?

Nuff said...

AsianOrange
11-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Never thought about that...he used to be a RB at Cal wasn't he?

SD-BlueCheese
11-13-2003, 03:46 PM
I went to college with that dude and for his first 2 years of college he was a HB, shifted to CB his junior year... He does have good hands... hell, as a Senior, he led our team in points--and he played DB. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get this guy in a place where he can contribute, cause he sure is an amazing athelete. Maybe he could live up to his potential as an undersized wideout. Hate to see such amazing talent wasted.

broncos4ever
11-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by SD-BlueCheese
I went to college with that dude and for his first 2 years of college he was a HB, shifted to CB his junior year... He does have good hands... hell, as a Senior, he led our team in points--and he played DB. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get this guy in a place where he can contribute, cause he sure is an amazing athelete. Maybe he could live up to his potential as an undersized wideout. Hate to see such amazing talent wasted.

Mike Shanahan always said Deltha had the best hands on the team. What's interesting is Mike was asked how long Deltha had to learn the postion, and Mike said 4 days. Are we going to see Deltha in the wide receiver position against San Diego. This will be definitely interesting.

Maybe this is where he will shine...

ozzy_osbourne
11-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by broncos4ever
Mike Shanahan always said Deltha had the best hands on the team. What's interesting is Mike was asked how long Deltha had to learn the postion, and Mike said 4 days. Are we going to see Deltha in the wide receiver position against San Diego. This will be definitely interesting.

Maybe this is where he will shine...

hopefully he will shine or he will be just another first round bust ( Middlebrooks, Ted Gregory...)

Elway
11-13-2003, 08:05 PM
Sometime the best defense is a good offense. (at least fro Deltha)

He can't get burned for TDs if he is on offense, and if it gives us another weapon, more power.

Deltha might have just made his greatest contribution to the defense.

Javalon
11-13-2003, 08:12 PM
hopefully he will shine or he will be just another first round bust ( Middlebrooks, Ted Gregory...)

You know, every team has first round busts. That's why I think the Broncos should trade down in the draft EVERY season and get more picks for less money.

ozzy_osbourne
11-13-2003, 08:15 PM
We found TD in the sixth round, pot head (MA) in the sixth, OG in the fourth, CP in the second... looks like we have more luck in later rounds...

Elway
11-13-2003, 08:21 PM
You forgot SS who was a 7th round if I remember correctly.

EddiMac87
11-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Hopefully it will be a smooth tranistion for Deltha going to WR. I'm not sure how many passes will be thrown his way or the impact he may have, but if he is able to contribute then I'm all for it. He has good open field moves as he has shown on punt returns and this may give him an opportunity to showcase an unexplored talent aspect. At any rate I wish him luck and I think it's nice to see a coach not give up on a guy especially after signing his likely replacement (Ryan McNeil). Go Broncos!!

ozzy_osbourne
11-13-2003, 08:46 PM
This just maybe another way to start fazing Eddie Mac out?

Speed Demon #26
11-13-2003, 11:50 PM
This just maybe another way to start fazing Eddie Mac out?

As much as I hate to admit it, I think you're right ozzy. Eddie Mac has been one of my favorites on the team for years, but I'm afraid he might be past his prime.

But on the other hand, Deltha has the potential to be the true deep threat that we have been lacking for years and years. Also, Shannahan must have a lot of faith in him to switch him over in the middle of the season.

muse
11-14-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Elway
You forgot SS who was a 7th round if I remember correctly.

Hell, Walls and Herndon were undrafted and they've done a great job this season.

rascal
11-14-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Speed Demon #26
As much as I hate to admit it, I think you're right ozzy. Eddie Mac has been one of my favorites on the team for years, but I'm afraid he might be past his prime.

But on the other hand, Deltha has the potential to be the true deep threat that we have been lacking for years and years. Also, Shannahan must have a lot of faith in him to switch him over in the middle of the season.

Who is faster Lelie or Oneal? I thought Lelie was our deep threat, assuming he could catch the ball.

bronco30
11-14-2003, 08:21 AM
he didnt like contact as a db i cant see him running slants or tryin to block...but who knows hopefully he'll work out there its prolly his last chance....

AsianOrange
11-14-2003, 08:35 AM
I'm kinda excited that he's going to be a WR.....is he still going to be 24?

Mount-n-Groan
11-14-2003, 08:54 AM
I think he might have an advantage out there and this might turn in to something. As a (former) DB he'll know how and when to make a move on the defender to work most to his advantage. He still has to pick up the offense though (Shanny said it takes 4 days to do so). Let's hope for the best. Who knows - maybe once he catches a few passes, or even a TD or two, he'll find the motivation to go 100% every play.

NOLABroncofan
11-14-2003, 11:47 AM
Wasn't Mecklenburg a late round draft pick as well? I think he was a 7th rounder if memory serves.

Regardless of how you think of Shanny ( some of you have expressed negative sentiment on other threads ), I have to applaud his draft abilities. He's done very well in the later rounds at least.

Nuff said...

ozzy_osbourne
11-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Currently he is very unhappy with the move but he has no other choice, shanny has spoken and he is under contract to perfom his only other choice is to quit (Kennison)

Mount-n-Groan
11-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by NOLABroncofan
Wasn't Mecklenburg a late round draft pick as well? I think he was a 7th rounder if memory serves.

Better yet...

Mecklenburg was drafted in the 12th round out of Minnesota in 1983 - the 310th player chosen.

12th Round?!?!? Do they even go that high anymore?

Javalon
11-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
Better yet...

Mecklenburg was drafted in the 12th round out of Minnesota in 1983 - the 310th player chosen.

12th Round?!?!? Do they even go that high anymore?

Nope, haven't for a while.

That guy was an awesome overachiever. Never should have been as good as he was...but he was. I wish there were more players like that.

ozzy_osbourne
11-14-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Javalon
Nope, haven't for a while.

That guy was an awesome overachiever. Never should have been as good as he was...but he was. I wish there were more players like that.

now there is a prime example of an OVERACHIVER, he should be in the HoF "OVERACHIVER wing"

broncos4ever
11-14-2003, 02:08 PM
What does this say to Chris Cole??? Since he has become the third receiver he has done squat. Caught one big pass and celebrated like he never caught a pass before...

I was all for trading him or cutting him two years ago. He is in his third year I believe and still has not shown anything as a receiver.

NOLABroncofan
11-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by broncos4ever
What does this say to Chris Cole??? Since he has become the third receiver he has done squat. Caught one big pass and celebrated like he never caught a pass before...

I was all for trading him or cutting him two years ago. He is in his third year I believe and still has not shown anything as a receiver.

<shrug> move him to Corner??? :p

Nuff said...

orangenblue420
11-14-2003, 02:15 PM
My question is this, if Deltha sucks at the position(s), that he has been groomed, practiced and played in, WTF is he gonna do in a position he knows nothing about......

This is just a legitimate question, not a dig at Deltha.

It's just common sense, no?

NOLABroncofan
11-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by orangenblue420
My question is this, if Deltha sucks at the position(s), that he has been groomed, practiced and played in, WTF is he gonna do in a position he knows nothing about......

This is just a legitimate question, not a dig at Deltha.

It's just common sense, no?

I guess Mike figures that if he's not makin the cut as a Corner, that his speed and hands would benefit him at receiver. Can't hurt to try at least. Kinda like picking up "walk ons" in training camp. Granted, he's gotta learn routes and such, but with his natural athletecism, he might excel as a WR.

Nuff said...

bronx_2003
11-14-2003, 04:31 PM
don't get me wrong, i think it will be a good move for deltha to play at wr but to all you ppl who say it 'can't hurt' are you forgetting this is the most important part of the season for us and its make or break. and sd, bears and oak will all be going for a W so they wont be easy but i think, hope, pray and KNOW we gotta win those games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost Heaven
11-14-2003, 06:20 PM
O'neal ought to know about scoring td's. He's gave up quite a few.

shock
11-14-2003, 07:22 PM
I think it is a good idea. It definitely doesnt hurt to try. I continue to have complete confidence in Shanny. Even though he brought Beuerlein back......

Pierce
11-15-2003, 02:14 AM
As long as O'Neal doesn't return any more kickoffs or punts. I get nervous every time he's back there to receive the kick. Sometimes he takes it to the house, but more often then not, he makes a dumb mistake that costs us.

rcclarke21
11-15-2003, 08:35 AM
:cheeky: That move shows that the Broncos have seious problems in their front office with player personnel and scouting; they have been making very strange drafts choices the past 5 years with about 30% panning out. Which isn't good, ever since they wasted a num.1 om Marcus Nash, they haven't made any impressive choice, and with a team that is a Super Bowl contender every year that first choice is very important because you are not getting the very top. Portis is probably the biggest steal the Broncos will ever make but you can't go through the draft wishing to find a steal. You need to bring in players that fit your identity and that will help immediately. Deltha will be a bust because he doesn't like hitting so what makes anyone think he'll like getting hit more!!!!????

bustemindamouth
11-15-2003, 01:36 PM
I think # 24 could be a good "change of pace" for the offense. Just think of the potential of running him on a reverse -- which I bet we'll probably see this sunday against the bolts...

I just keep thinking...how did we sepnd a #1 on this guy when we could've gotten Freddie Smoot instead!! Don't even get me started on Willie "Middlerounds". If he was even close to cracking into the lineup, wuld we even think about signing Ryan McNeil??

Javalon
11-15-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by rcclarke21
:cheeky: That move shows that the Broncos have seious problems in their front office with player personnel and scouting; they have been making very strange drafts choices the past 5 years with about 30% panning out. Which isn't good, ever since they wasted a num.1 om Marcus Nash, they haven't made any impressive choice, and with a team that is a Super Bowl contender every year that first choice is very important because you are not getting the very top. Portis is probably the biggest steal the Broncos will ever make but you can't go through the draft wishing to find a steal. You need to bring in players that fit your identity and that will help immediately. Deltha will be a bust because he doesn't like hitting so what makes anyone think he'll like getting hit more!!!!????

Well, Al Wilson wasn't a bad #1 pick. And the book is still out on Lelie and Foster. The Broncos' definite mistakes since Nash were just the back-to-back cornerback selections of O'neal & Middlebrooks. They definitely need cornerbacks but these guys just haven't panned out. Every team has their share of first round busts but the Broncos have just had a few recent ones.

But the Broncos do a great job finding steals in the draft. Check Portis, Anderson, Terrell Davis, Sharpe, etc.

rcclarke21
11-15-2003, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Javalon
Well, Al Wilson wasn't a bad #1 pick. And the book is still out on Lelie and Foster. The Broncos' definite mistakes since Nash were just the back-to-back cornerback selections of O'neal & Middlebrooks. They definitely need cornerbacks but these guys just haven't panned out. Every team has their share of first round busts but the Broncos have just had a few recent ones.

But the Broncos do a great job finding steals in the draft. Check Portis, Anderson, Terrell Davis, Sharpe, etc. [/QUOT E]
What rounds were they, every guy you listed was after the first round except Wilson, look up the Broncos past 6 years of draft choices and see how many make the team from camp and then you'll see that too many choices were wasted. Look at teams like the Ravens and Cowboys now with Parcells people who can accurately access talent and fill needs for their specific team, not guys that they hope will panout. As I said before Portis will be Denver greatest steal and if he can stay healthy maybe overtake Davis as their greatest back ever. As for Al Wilson he is their heart of the defense but it took a few years for him to get where he is and he still has a little way to go, he has a wrapping up problem, but not as bad as other Broncos.

Javalon
11-15-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by rcclarke21
What rounds were they, every guy you listed was after the first round except Wilson, look up the Broncos past 6 years of draft choices and see how many make the team from camp and then you'll see that too many choices were wasted. Look at teams like the Ravens and Cowboys now with Parcells people who can accurately access talent and fill needs for their specific team, not guys that they hope will panout. As I said before Portis will be Denver greatest steal and if he can stay healthy maybe overtake Davis as their greatest back ever. As for Al Wilson he is their heart of the defense but it took a few years for him to get where he is and he still has a little way to go, he has a wrapping up problem, but not as bad as other Broncos.

That's the point I was making. The Broncos do a better job making picks after the first round.

As far as their greatest steal goes, it'll be hard to say Portis was more of a steal than Davis or Sharpe. Portis was a 2nd round pick.

Shannon Sharpe was a 7th round pick and is arguably the best tight end ever. Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick but rushed for over 2,000 yards in one season, was league MVP and was also a Super Bowl MVP.