PDA

View Full Version : Mike Anderson

dknoe
11-16-2003, 09:06 PM
Mike Anderson should be benched for the remainder of the season. When his contract is up, let him go. Yes, he is a hell of a player. Yes, it could screw the season. Don't get me wrong - I am a diehard Broncos fan - I subscibe to NFL Season ticket just to see the games, I fly a Broncos flag in the middle of Illinois - I love this team. However.....allowing a player who fails a drug test to play sets a bad example for the entire community. Yes, he may have been subjected to second-hand marijuana smoke. I don't care. As a mother, I expect our team to set a good example for my children. Smoking marijuana or allowing yourself to be a part of a group who does sets an example for our children that behavior of that type is acceptable. It is not. As far as I'm concerned, failing a drug test should result in expulsion from the entire league. I realize that there are many that will disagree with me....winning is the point and if you suspend or expel every player on or near drugs no team will ever win and why should the Broncos bench a player when the rules don't require it. The answer - because the Denver Broncos are a proud team who don't need or desire drug abusers on their roster. We win fair and square and set an example for our community. Let's start a tradition of a clean team. Drug users/abusers are not welcome on the Broncos roster.

SD-BlueCheese
11-16-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm pissed at Mike for getting suspended. Why would I care if he smokes pot on his own time otherwise. Its his life. You could look at this as a good opportunity to explain to your children about drugs. Pot certainly isn't a performance enhancing drug, and Mike Anderson is clearly one of the least selfish players on the Broncos. He plays several positions, was pulled out of the limelight, and isn't shooting his mouth off asking to be traded. Mike isn't out beating his wife, getting caught drunk with firearms, committing hit-and-run, or hurting other people.

With the level he tested positive at, he could legally be driving a forklift or working a crane.

He messed up. He's paying for the crime. Be mad at him for his suspension.

I'll sure be happy to have him back for the playoffs.

SD-BlueCheese
11-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by dknoe
. Drug users/abusers are not welcome on the Broncos roster.

BTW, how do you know that Mike is an ABUSER?
Have you met him? Is he hooked on drugs? Is he lightin' up in the locker room? Is he stealing from his mother to pay for his habit? Does he even have a habit?

I wouldn't know if you were an alchoholic by watching you sip a glass of wine. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. Who am I to judge you.

I guess my point really is--is Mike Anderson really the biggest threat to your children? I mean, we live in a country where more people are murdered than any other industrial nation, where violence on TV is the norm, where our work week is getting longer and longer, where we average only 10 days of vacation PER YEAR, where much of the world is at odds with us, and you are worried that Mike Anderson is gonna be the doom of us...

Ug!

Orange&Blue
11-16-2003, 09:59 PM
If he smoked it, then I expect him to be disciplined. But if he didn't and got 2nd hand like he says, then that is a different story. I don't smoke pot myself, or even smoke at all for that matter, but I have had friends that have, and I don't consider them to be bad people. I can tell that you do though since you think that he should be booted from the NFL regardless of if it was 2nd hand or not. You probably have this notion that all pot smokers are laying on the ground in some dazed state in a slummed out part of the city somewhere and they have to participate in other illegal activities to fund their habit because they don't have jobs, right? Don't be so judgemental. I've been exposed to 2nd hand before by just going to a Cure concert. I can tell you right now that if everyone who allowed themselves to associate with a "group who does" lost their jobs, this country would be in some serious trouble.

koondaddy
11-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Pot is not the end of the world or the end of mike. come on people, how are you going to disown him, is it really that bad.

dknoe
11-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Time out.

I hear what you are saying, and totally respect your opinions. however.

I don't smoke weed, and neither do any of my friends. It is illegal. Period. Alcohol isn't.

Beyond that, these guys are NFL Players. They are featured every week on national television. They are icons for our children. The children of America look up to these guys, more than superman, more than the hulk. These guys aren't the guy next door, they are BRONCOS - and they need to play the part.

Yes, America is full of hatred and violence. Murders and drug abuse abound. Comparing an NFL player to some guy laying in a drug induced haze is inaccurate and unfair. My children do not look up to some nutcase laying in the streets of Denver, they look up those people who are available to them as heroes. My children are smart enough to tell the difference. If you are going to wear the blue and orange, you should be smart enough to know what is expected of you.

Bottom line. Marijuana is still illegal in this county. If you are willing to smoke it, or be around those who do, you should be willing to pay the consequences. And this team, and this league, should enforce those consequences. In fact, this league should understand that it is their duty to set an example to the youth of this nation that illegal drugs are not acceptabe - period.

P.S. Did Mike Anderson not serve this country as a Marine? Would the Marines find this behavior acceptable? I think not. Why should the NFL be any different?

koondaddy
11-16-2003, 10:30 PM
OK, I agree with you that pot is not legal, and that kids do look up to them, but shouldnt they look to their parents for guidence on that subject, and not on a player, yes the player does have a influence but the parents need to teach them right from wrong.

Shady980
11-16-2003, 10:35 PM
Mike should be left alone...There is nothing wrong with having a blunt or two as long as....dang I forgot what I was going to say...

Orange&Blue
11-16-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Shady980
Mike should be left alone...There is nothing wrong with having a blunt or two as long as....dang I forgot what I was going to say...

Nice way to make an argument for your case. Sheesh! As funny as I think your post is, if you were in debate class and said that, you would've just embarrassed yourself. :)

dknoe
11-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Yes, parents are the first line of defense. But when a national hero does it, what good does a parent's word do? "No honey, you can't smoke pot, I don't care who else does it." That might cut it when their friends are doing it, but not when the professionals they look up to do. It is my job to teach my children right from wrong. That isn't the question. I shouldn't have to turn off Sunday football to do it.

Shady980
11-16-2003, 10:56 PM
In all reality, pot isin't that bad and everyone is getting to bent out of shape about it. It's always going to be around and just cuz an athleat did it won't change the fact that no matter where you live, what you watch, or try to eliminate, it will be around. I don't know if any of you still remember the young days but I don't remember myself ever saying...."oh this athlete did this so im going to do it too"...so please spare me the guilt trip about the kids, because if parents cant make their kids look past what someone does on TV then they should check themselves before they point the finger on the person doing it on TV...I don't know if Bad Parenting rings a bell, or if it's just me.

Orange&Blue
11-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Yes, parents are the first line of defense. But when a national hero does it, what good does a parent's word do? "No honey, you can't smoke pot, I don't care who else does it." That might cut it when their friends are doing it, but not when the professionals they look up to do. It is my job to teach my children right from wrong. That isn't the question. I shouldn't have to turn off Sunday football to do it.

It's the other way around. If I was a parent concerned about pot, then I'd be more concerned about the childrens' friends doing it than the athlete on TV. Mike isn't going to reach out from the TV and give your child a joint, or pressure them, or give them direct access like friends might. I also think that kids are a lot smarter than adults give them credit for. As an adult, if someone said to me, "No, you can't do that," I'd want a logical explaination. I think children deserve the same.

RunByDesign
11-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Mike Anderson should be benched for the remainder of the season. When his contract is up, let him go. Yes, he is a hell of a player. Yes, it could screw the season. Don't get me wrong - I am a diehard Broncos fan - I subscibe to NFL Season ticket just to see the games, I fly a Broncos flag in the middle of Illinois - I love this team. However.....allowing a player who fails a drug test to play sets a bad example for the entire community. Yes, he may have been subjected to second-hand marijuana smoke. I don't care. As a mother, I expect our team to set a good example for my children. Smoking marijuana or allowing yourself to be a part of a group who does sets an example for our children that behavior of that type is acceptable. It is not. As far as I'm concerned, failing a drug test should result in expulsion from the entire league. I realize that there are many that will disagree with me....winning is the point and if you suspend or expel every player on or near drugs no team will ever win and why should the Broncos bench a player when the rules don't require it. The answer - because the Denver Broncos are a proud team who don't need or desire drug abusers on their roster. We win fair and square and set an example for our community. Let's start a tradition of a clean team. Drug users/abusers are not welcome on the Broncos roster.

I am interested to know if you smoke cigarettes?

RunByDesign
11-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by SD-BlueCheese
I'm pissed at Mike for getting suspended. Why would I care if he smokes pot on his own time otherwise. Its his life. You could look at this as a good opportunity to explain to your children about drugs. Pot certainly isn't a performance enhancing drug, and Mike Anderson is clearly one of the least selfish players on the Broncos. He plays several positions, was pulled out of the limelight, and isn't shooting his mouth off asking to be traded. Mike isn't out beating his wife, getting caught drunk with firearms, committing hit-and-run, or hurting other people.

With the level he tested positive at, he could legally be driving a forklift or working a crane.

He messed up. He's paying for the crime. Be mad at him for his suspension.

I'll sure be happy to have him back for the playoffs.

^5 bro. WORDDDD!

RunByDesign
11-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Time out.

I hear what you are saying, and totally respect your opinions. however.

I don't smoke weed, and neither do any of my friends. It is illegal. Period. Alcohol isn't.

Then respect htis...Calculate how many people alcohol has killed and calculate the exact number of people weed has killed...here, let me help you...

Alcohol.......(fill in the blank here)
Weed.........0

Shady980
11-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Maybe Mike just got a little confused by his surroundings and just wanted to play a little Mile "HIGH"....I don't know, just a suggestion as a reason for his actions.

Orange&Blue
11-16-2003, 11:11 PM
portisistheman and Shady980, trust me. This is a mother concerned about her children doing ANY illegal substance, so you're not going to convince her by arguing that pot isn't as bad as some people think.

Shady980
11-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Not trying to convince...just letting you know what the reality is...If you, as a parent, can't make your kids understand the difference between right and wrong(NOt that I believe smoking is wrong), so that their opinion on any subject isin't changed by a sportsfigure, then YOU failed and shouldn't blame or point the fingure on anyone else.

RunByDesign
11-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Orange&Blue
portisistheman and Shady980, trust me. This is a mother concerned about her children doing ANY illegal substance, so you're not going to convince her by arguing that pot isn't as bad as some people think.

Just trying to make her aware of her mindprogram.

Orange&Blue
11-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Not trying to convince...just letting you know what the reality is...If you, as a parent, can't make your kids understand the difference between right and wrong(NOt that I believe smoking is wrong), so that their opinion on any subject isin't changed by a sportsfigure, then YOU failed and shouldn't blame or point the fingure on anyone else.

When you say "you" don't you mean "she?" You're not arguing with me, and if you are, then you're friendly firing.

Shady980
11-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Orange&Blue
When you say "you" don't you mean "she?" You're not arguing with me, and if you are, then you're friendly firing.

Im not trying to arue with anyone...Im just makeing a open comment...Just my opinion on a subject, not to be literally ment at any one person...

And one more thing...kids aren't given enough credit...They're not all dumb, and gullible. but once again, that has to do with good parenting

Orange&Blue
11-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Im not trying to arue with anyone...Im just makeing a open comment...Just my opinion on a subject, not to be literally ment at any one person...

Gotcha. It just looked like it was directed at me at the time.

And one more thing...kids aren't given enough credit...They're not all dumb, and gullible. but once again, that has to do with good parenting

I agree. That's what I said too. Parents are the 1st line of defense against anything they don't want their kids doing. If athletes, or other people on TV, are the primary influence in their decision making, then it's the parent's fault for unconciously handing that responsibilty to the TV figure in the first place.

Shady980
11-16-2003, 11:41 PM
haha.... guess thats settled then.

(No sarcasm intended)

SD-BlueCheese
11-16-2003, 11:52 PM

P.S. Did Mike Anderson not serve this country as a Marine? Would the Marines find this behavior acceptable? I think not. Why should the NFL be any different?

Yes, he did serve as a marine. And yes, his behavior is acceptable in the Marines. I believe that the level of THC in his system was acceptable for military drug tests. He would have passed. That is why Shannahan is so pissed.

As a side note, do you really believe that members in our armed forces do not smoke marijuana? They are people too--some smoke pot, some don't.
Some drink. Some even drink underage (they sure as hell outta..., putting their lives on the line and all).

As a matter of fact, I saw a drunken marine J-walking the other day, but I sure as hell am not gonna report him.

As to the "Why should the NFL be any different" part of your question... how the hell can you compare the NFL to the Marine Corps?

Orange&Blue
11-16-2003, 11:52 PM
By the way dknoe, I am NOT calling you a bad parent.

RunByDesign
11-16-2003, 11:55 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a bit ironic...you can go and get yourself killed at 18 but you can't smoke a weed cigarette.

koondaddy
11-17-2003, 12:04 AM

Why would you have to turn off sunday football. They are not promoting smoking pot on tv they are just playing a game, just as a question is mike your kids favorite player?

Shady980
11-17-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by portisistheman
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a bit ironic...you can go and get yourself killed at 18 but you can't smoke a weed cigarette.

A "weed cigarette"???????.......ummmmmm never heard that one before...

LOL

SD-BlueCheese
11-17-2003, 12:08 AM
that the weed smoking audience would be seriously put out if Mike was either cut or traded... if THEY decide to boycott the games, we lose out on Cheetos and Doritos advertising revenue. This is a group with serious purchasing power, as is exemplified by late-night pizza delivery commercials nationwide.

koondaddy
11-17-2003, 12:10 AM
that the weed smoking audience would be seriously put out if Mike was either cut or traded... if THEY decide to boycott the games, we lose out on Cheetos and Doritos advertising revenue. This is a group with serious purchasing power, as is exemplified by late-night pizza delivery commercials nationwide.

LMFAO! Thats funny.

Shady980
11-17-2003, 12:12 AM
Hey BlueCheese, your signiture is the funniest thing I'v seen all day...Just Great...lol

SD-BlueCheese
11-17-2003, 12:15 AM
it hurts me with every post... I went to school with "Delta"--my ex girlfriend graduated with him (yeah, he had the Bronco Jersey on under the cap & gown) and I just wish he'd tap into that unbelievable potential. Homeboy was the MAN in college. Hopefully this WR thing will work for him.

Shady980
11-17-2003, 12:18 AM
it hurts me with every post... I went to school with "Delta"--my ex girlfriend graduated with him (yeah, he had the Bronco Jersey on under the cap & gown) and I just wish he'd tap into that unbelievable potential. Homeboy was the MAN in college. Hopefully this WR thing will work for him.

I just don't get it...what the hell happened to him this year? I still think of him as the pro bowl player that he was...not the one who fumbles and makes mistake after mistake everyweek.

SD-BlueCheese
11-17-2003, 12:35 AM
I (one of his biggest fans) still thought he was way to streaky. Trent Green gave him that pro-bowl birth. As to what happened--he used to get burned all the damned time, even in college. He'd bait QB's into throwing, then take it to the house (he was a serious threat on defense--takin' INT's back to the house). I'd go so far as to say that the Raiders No1 draft pick Nmandi Asamugha was better in coverage than the D-man. However, you gotta remember that the guy was a RB all his life--until his junior year. I think he's a natural WR, with amazing hands, but he's small for the position. I really hope he can focus.

Anyone notice how T Poole is now playing great football? And seemingly everyone of the broncos ex-DBs! "Delta" is gonna get delt, and he's gonna haunt us bad--that's my prediction.
That said, our DB's really murdered Flutie today.