PDA

View Full Version : Worst 1st Rounder ever



Speed Demon #26
11-18-2003, 01:10 AM
Who do you all think is the biggest first round bust in history??

My pick goes out to Ryan Leaf. :sad:

LordTrychon
11-18-2003, 01:39 AM
No arguement here.

Javalon
11-18-2003, 03:48 AM
Leaf's definitely up there. I seem to remember Brian Bosworth being a huge bust.

The problem is that if they sucked, I might not even remember them. Is there a good list out there of 1st round busts?

pikman
11-18-2003, 07:26 AM
Todd Marinovich

vandal68
11-18-2003, 07:38 AM
:mad: The one that has just drove me nuts from day one.... Ted Gregory. What was Reeves thinking? I dont think he even made it through training camp.

ReasonableChief
11-18-2003, 07:46 AM
Our top choice in 1974 or 75 was Elmore Stephens (an early second rounder, I think, because we didn't have a first rounder that year). Perhaps he doesn't merit discussion in a 1st round Bust discussion, but he was our top pick.

You say you never heard of him? Let's just say he put the B in bust. He was hauled off to court during training camp, charged and convicted of murder.

Career stats: 0 games, 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns.


And damn ... I'd forgotten about Ted Gregory.

As for Bosworth, he was at least a good player in the NFL until he got hurt.

ONealFan24
11-18-2003, 08:23 AM
i agree with leaf

orangenblue420
11-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by pikman
Todd Marinovich

He gets my vote.....crazy :goofy:

AsianOrange
11-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Dan Mcguire by the Seahawks.

ReasonableChief
11-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by tahuya man
Brian Bosworth wasn't a "first round" pick. He was picked from the supplemental draft..

Nice catch ... but what kind of pick did they have to give up in the regular draft to get Bosworth?

Javalon
11-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by tahuya man
Brian Bosworth wasn't a "first round" pick. He was picked from the supplemental draft..

Unless I'm remembering wrong, he was a first round supplemental pick in 1987 which means that he counted as Seattle's #1 pick in 1988. That makes him a first round pick.

And he was a bust. He was given a huge contract (at the time) for 10 years and he played about three seasons. He sucked the whole time. His NFL career will best be illustrated by Bo Jackson plowing through him on his way to the endzone.

pikman
11-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Almost forgot Tony Mandarich. Talk about overhyped. The guy had all the tools what happened?

sMiLiNgA$$a$$In
11-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Ki-jana Carter

goodluv4Broncos
11-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Javalon
Unless I'm remembering wrong, he was a first round supplemental pick in 1987 which means that he counted as Seattle's #1 pick in 1988. That makes him a first round pick.

And he was a bust. He was given a huge contract (at the time) for 10 years and he played about three seasons. He sucked the whole time. His NFL career will best be illustrated by Bo Jackson plowing through him on his way to the endzone. Javalon, I guess we have the same memory the Boz was a 1st round pick, I think what got him though, was hollywood and he even BUST there> Now lets see do you recall if he was injured in the film business too, if I recall he just couldn't cut the mustard in n.......e of the careers he chose.

I LUV THE BRONCOS, WHO CARES ABOUT N....ETHING BUT THE BRONCOS.

BroncoPhoenix
11-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Blair Thomas, D.J. Dozie, Ki-jana Carter and so on.

Return of Lava
11-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Wasnt Marcus Nash a 1st round pick?

stickyicky420
11-18-2003, 12:57 PM
andre ware

bronco_girl
11-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Heath Shuler

BroncoPhoenix
11-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Kelly Stouffer

thesaint
11-18-2003, 02:47 PM
1992 Steve Emtman the DT out of Washington was supposed to be a cant miss. Whoops.

The pick in Bronco history that still probably ticks me off the most is our first rounder in 92 with Tommy Maddox. Tommy is still playing now and has some talent, but what a wasted pick by Denver! We already had Elway, we needed a surrounding cast, and take a look at some of the names taken after Maddox. Robert Porcher, Carl Pickens, Jimmy Smith, Darren Woodson, Levon Kirkland, Robert Brooks, Mark Chmura (babysitter not included), and Sam Gash.
Thanks Reeves. :cheeky:

Speed Demon #26
11-19-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Return of Lava
Wasnt Marcus Nash a 1st round pick?

Yep, he was Peyton Mannings favorite target in Tennessee beside
Peerless Price. Had a solid college career, but Shannahan picked him up and he never showed anything as a pro player. :cheeky:

Broncs Bomber
11-19-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by pikman
Almost forgot Tony Mandarich. Talk about overhyped. The guy had all the tools what happened?

In his senior season, Sports Illustrated had him as a cover story and within the article, they claimed him to be the best thing since sliced bread. The problem was that the NFL has a steroid testing policy, and his 320 pounds of muscle turned into 380 pounds of flab. His strength & quickness disappeared almost overnight, and the Packers couldn't get him into playing shape. He should have made up a story like Mark Gastineau did when he retired to save himself the embarrassment.

pikman
11-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Broncs Bomber
In his senior season, Sports Illustrated had him as a cover story and within the article, they claimed him to be the best thing since sliced bread. The problem was that the NFL has a steroid testing policy, and his 320 pounds of muscle turned into 380 pounds of flab. His strength & quickness disappeared almost overnight, and the Packers couldn't get him into playing shape. He should have made up a story like Mark Gastineau did when he retired to save himself the embarrassment.

I remember that article, 2 shopping carts full of food was the key, not the juice:cheeky: . I think the rap (besdies the juice) on him was he could pass block like nobodies business, but his run blocking was horrible, he could never adjust to the pro game.

ReasonableChief
11-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by pikman
I remember that article, 2 shopping carts full of food was the key, not the juice:cheeky: . I think the rap (besdies the juice) on him was he could pass block like nobodies business, but his run blocking was horrible, he could never adjust to the pro game.

If I remember the article correctly, caffiene in massive amounts was one of his claims as to why he worked out so hard

orangenblue420
11-19-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by pikman
Almost forgot Tony Mandarich. Talk about overhyped. The guy had all the tools what happened?

His father...............

From what I remember his father, from the day he was bron, groomed him to be an NFL player. I remember hearing he couldn't eat any junk food, or fast food, had strict exercise programs. very, very strict household rules. When Todd got some freedom in college, then the NFL he went overboard.

May have worked for the Williams sisters and Tiger but backfired here.

pikman
11-19-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by orangenblue420
His father...............

From what I remember his father, from the day he was bron, groomed him to be an NFL player. I remember hearing he couldn't eat any junk food, or fast food, had strict exercise programs. very, very strict household rules. When Todd got some freedom in college, then the NFL he went overboard.

May have worked for the Williams sisters and Tiger but backfired here.

That was Todd Marinovich, now a heroine junky/QB

orangenblue420
11-19-2003, 08:50 AM
Ummmmmmmmmmm, my bad :rolleyes: :duh:

broncobuc
11-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Geno Troretta(Maimi).

Speed Demon #26
11-20-2003, 12:56 AM
We also can't forget Curtis Enis drafted by the Bears to be the savior of their running game(Penn State), or Rashann Salam from the Buffs:duh:

thesaint
11-20-2003, 06:04 AM
Emtman had 3 sacks through 9 games. I think the Colts were hoping for more...and yeah health was a problem.

ReasonableChief
11-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Javalon
Leaf's definitely up there. I seem to remember Brian Bosworth being a huge bust.

The problem is that if they sucked, I might not even remember them. Is there a good list out there of 1st round busts?


Here's one from Mel Kiper Jr.

Friday, June 8

Depth Chart: Biggest first-round busts
By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN.com


Click here to see user feedback.

Mel Kiper Jr.'s biggest first-round busts
Ki-Jana Carter, RB, Penn State (1st overall, Bengals, 1995)
He wasn't able to get it done or show the skill level to be an effective NFL running back. His knee injury hurt him right away too.
Russell Erxleben, K/P, Texas (11th overall, Saints, 1979)
He didn't transition from being a great college kicker to the NFL.
Brian Jozwiak, OT, West Virginia (7th overall, Chiefs, 1986)
He didn't seem to have the ability to handle quick outside pass rushers. He was more of a run blocker in college.
Tony Mandarich, OT, Michigan State (2nd overall, Packers, 1989)
He was a dominator in college who struggled mightily in NFL. He didn't transition well. He was drafted ahead of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders.
Lawrence Phillips, RB, Nebraska (6th overall, Rams, 1996)
He was a product of Nebraska's offense, an I-back who had time to run downhill behind a great offensive line. In the NFL, he played too upright and couldn't make people miss. Plus, he had off-the-field problems. He was drafted ahead of Eddie George.
Art Schlichter, QB, Ohio State (4th overall, Colts, 1982)
He had off-the-field problems with gambling and did nothing with the Colts. He was a great talent who never materialized because he wasn't focused.
Heath Shuler, QB, Tennessee (3rd overall, Redskins, 1994)
He was a holdout, and not being in camp hurt him immediately. Then Gus Frerotte, another '94 draft pick, seized control of the team. Shuler never caught up. He also wasn't the pure passer he needed to be.
Kelly Stouffer, QB, Colorado State (6th overall, Cardinals, 1987)
He had a solid career in college, but he wasn't projected to go high. He was a major reach; I thought he was a second- or third-round pick.
Blair Thomas, RB, Penn State (2nd overall, Jets, 1990)
The history of Penn State running backs hasn't been great. He never showed the burst or creativity as a runner and the great package of skills needed in the NFL.
Andre Ware, QB, Houston (7th overall, Lions, 1990)
Another QB hurt by a holdout. He was drafted to run Wayne Fontes' run-and-shoot offense. Rodney Peete ended up settling into the offense instead. Ware had talent, but the team never took to him as a leader.

Dishonorable Mention
Trev Alberts, OLB, Nebraska (6th overall, Colts, 1994)
Anthony Bell, LB, Michigan State (5th overall, Cardinals, 1986)
Todd Blackledge, QB, Penn State (7th overall, Chiefs, 1983)
Bob Buczkowski, DE, Pittsburgh (24th overall, Raiders, 1986)
Rich Campbell, QB, California (6th overall, Packers, 1981)
Tom Cousineau, MLB, Ohio State (1st overall, Bills, 1979)
Mike Croel, LB, Nebraska (4th overall, Broncos, 1991)
Eric Curry, DE, Alabama (6th overall, Buccaneers, 1993)
Jim Druckenmiller, QB, Virginia Tech (26th overall, 49ers, 1997)
Clyde Duncan, WR, Tennessee (17th overall, Cardinals, 1984)
Steve Emtman, DT, Washington (1st overall, Colts, 1992)
Desmond Howard, WR, Michigan (4th overall, Redskins, 1992)
Mike Junkin, LB, Duke (5th overall, Browns, 1987)
Shawn Knight, DT, BYU (11th overall, Saints, 1987)
David Klingler, QB, Houston (6th overall, Bengals, 1992)
Eric Kumerow, OLB, Ohio State (16th overall, Dolphins, 1988)
Ryan Leaf, QB, Washington State (2nd overall, Chargers, 1998)
Tommy Maddox, QB, UCLA (25th overall, Broncos, 1992)
Todd Marinovich, QB, USC (24th overall, Raiders, 1991)
Keith McCants, DE, Alabama (4th overall, Buccaneers, 1990)
Dan McGwire, QB, San Diego State (16th overall, Seahawks, 1991)
Rick Mirer, QB, Notre Dame (2nd overall, Seahawks, 1993)
Bruce Pickens, DB, Nebraska (3rd overall, Falcons, 1991)
Jack Thompson, QB, Washington State (3rd overall, Bengals, 1979)
David Verser, WR, Kansas (10th overall, Bengals, 1981)
Dan Wilkinson, DT, Ohio State (1st overall, Bengals, 1994)

pikman
11-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Well done RC.

Man there's guys on that list I'd totally forgot about. Wait I guesss that's the point.

NOLABroncofan
11-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson in Cincinatti was the first pick in his draft. He didn't prove to be much, however, look at the team he went to:D

Note: I don't think he's the worst... just worth mentioning. ( Edit.. Sorry Norm. Just noticed he was on your list too ).

Nuff said...

Javalon
11-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Yeah, thanks ReasonableChief, I mean Norm.

I don't think Kiper gives Ryan Leaf enough credit. He was a top-notch bust, in my opinion.

ReasonableChief
11-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by NOLABroncofan
Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson in Cincinatti was the first pick in his draft. He didn't prove to be much, however, look at the team he went to:D

Note: I don't think he's the worst... just worth mentioning. ( Edit.. Sorry Norm. Just noticed he was on your list too ).

Nuff said...

Didn't Big Daddy Wilkinson play for both KC and Denver? He had one really good year in Kansas City, then held out for more money and was never worth a plug nickel after that.

NOLABroncofan
11-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ReasonableChief
Didn't Big Daddy Wilkinson play for both KC and Denver? He had one really good year in Kansas City, then held out for more money and was never worth a plug nickel after that.

I think maybe you are thinking about Keith "Tractor" Traylor. Not positive, but his story is similar.

Nuff said...

ReasonableChief
11-20-2003, 11:23 AM
Crud ...
I wasn't thinking of Tractor Traylor. I was thinking of Dan Williams.

broncos4ever
11-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by ReasonableChief
Crud ...
I wasn't thinking of Tractor Traylor. I was thinking of Dan Williams.

Dan Williams for us was a real disappointment. I think he did well for the Chiefs, but as far as I was concerned, he layed a real goose egg for us.

Now a person that was good on the Chiefs and Broncos was Neil Smith.

bustemindamouth
11-20-2003, 01:48 PM
Look no further than Willie (middlerounds) Middlebrooks!! LOL

TXBRONC
11-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by pikman
Almost forgot Tony Mandarich. Talk about overhyped. The guy had all the tools what happened?

What happened was steroids. However, K. Carter would be the biggest bust Mandarich a least made a small comeback with Colts after a one or two year layoff if I remember right.

Speed Demon #26
11-21-2003, 03:22 AM
I forgot about Desmond Howard!! Didn't he win the Heisman??:eek:

TXBRONC
11-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by broncos4ever
Dan Williams for us was a real disappointment. I think he did well for the Chiefs, but as far as I was concerned, he layed a real goose egg for us.

Now a person that was good on the Chiefs and Broncos was Neil Smith.

Smith had something like 8 sacks in '97 but only 3 or 4 in '98.

ReasonableChief
11-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by TXBRONC
Smith had something like 8 sacks in '97 but only 3 or 4 in '98.

For Denver, Smith had 8.5 sacks in 1997, 4.0 in 1998 and 6.5 in 1999 before finishing his career with 0 for San Diego in 2000

stickyicky420
11-21-2003, 12:16 PM
i called out ware im not sure if i was using this sn or not heres another 1 george foster what happened to that bum our 1st rd pick and i havent even heard his name called

Javalon
11-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by stickyicky420
i called out ware im not sure if i was using this sn or not heres another 1 george foster what happened to that bum our 1st rd pick and i havent even heard his name called

It's still his first season. Shanny doesn't usually force the issue on rookies unless they prove right away that they're ready to play (rare). Don't give up on Foster unless he is still a backup after another season or two.

stickyicky420
11-21-2003, 12:25 PM
but as an olinemen he should be starting now

stickyicky420
11-21-2003, 12:26 PM
wasnt flutie a #1 pick

pikman
11-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by stickyicky420
wasnt flutie a #1 pick

I think he went to the USFL first. And you can't really call him a bust.

stickyicky420
11-21-2003, 12:44 PM
if he was a first rd pick he was a bust he had like 1 good season in buffalo then down the toilet after that

pikman
11-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Define Bust. I'm not a big fan of the Canadian Football League but Flutie lit it up. Numerous MVP's, Multiple Championships with different teams. Decent numbers in Buffalo, carries himself like a true professional. If that's a bust, I hope my son busts like that.

By the way Chicago drafted Flutie. I think.

stickyicky420
11-21-2003, 12:53 PM
he was the 285 pick in the nfl draft bye the rams but he went to the usfl as the #11 pick and bye the way the cfl is all has been or never beens theres more talent floating around the arena league

stickyicky420
11-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by pikman
Define Bust. I'm not a big fan of the Canadian Football League but Flutie lit it up. Numerous MVP's, Multiple Championships with different teams. Decent numbers in Buffalo, carries himself like a true professional. If that's a bust, I hope my son busts like that.

By the way Chicago drafted Flutie. I think.

he was traded for a a fourth and 8th rd pickin 86 i think thats what i read

pikman
11-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by stickyicky420
bye the way the cfl is all has been or never beens theres more talent floating around the arena league

Ever watched the CFL for more than 10 minutes?

stickyicky420
11-21-2003, 01:26 PM
the cfl is about as entertaining as the xfl was

pikman
11-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by stickyicky420
the cfl is about as entertaining as the xfl was

that's why its been around longer than the NFL. I'm not here to defend the cfl, I think it is not on the level of the nfl. I'm here to defend Doug Flutie being a bust. Flutie has proven he can play in the NFL, he has lasted. A bust is Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich, Cade McNown, guys that don't last 2-3 seasons and then they are gone. Flutie is far from a bust.

AsianOrange
11-21-2003, 01:44 PM
I was watching the NFL Network the other day on best defensive lineman and man....it showed Reggie White, LT, and some other guy sacking a Chicago bear wearing Doug Flutie!

Then later on ESPN classic, Flutie was playing in the USFL?!

How long has this guy been around?!?

pikman
11-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by CrazyAsian
I was watching the NFL Network the other day on best defensive lineman and man....it showed Reggie White, LT, and some other guy sacking a Chicago bear wearing Doug Flutie!

Then later on ESPN classic, Flutie was playing in the USFL?!

How long has this guy been around?!?

your question alone gives credo to the fact he wasn't a bust!!

TXBRONC
11-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ReasonableChief
For Denver, Smith had 8.5 sacks in 1997, 4.0 in 1998 and 6.5 in 1999 before finishing his career with 0 for San Diego in 2000

My point Normie, is that Neal's production was not the good over that period of time. Bert Berry in just part time action last season had 6.5 sacks.

TXBRONC
11-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by CrazyAsian
I was watching the NFL Network the other day on best defensive lineman and man....it showed Reggie White, LT, and some other guy sacking a Chicago bear wearing Doug Flutie!

Then later on ESPN classic, Flutie was playing in the USFL?!

How long has this guy been around?!?

Let's put this way, CA he's 40 something years old.