PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the surprise cuts?

BroncoRT
07-22-2005, 07:33 PM
At first I thought it would be Roc, but not now.

Possibilities
Trvor Pryce $$$$
Ron Dayne
Jeff Shoate
Chris Young
Anton Palepoi
Marco Coleman

Any thoughts? :coffee:

broncosfan247
07-22-2005, 08:19 PM
I don't think Mike Anderson is out of the woods yet. Especially if he doesn't win the starting job. His paycheck might be alittle more than his role on the team.

BroncoRT
07-22-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't think Mike Anderson is out of the woods yet. Especially if he doesn't win the starting job. His paycheck might be alittle more than his role on the team.

I think MA will make the team and get quite a bit of action in the red zone. He is a team player and I think he will play this year with a chip on his shoulder.

Adrenaline
07-22-2005, 09:29 PM

If the rumors are true that he is giving Tatum a run for his money. Then he will not be cut if he is preforming

Bronx84
07-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I think MA will be the starter this year. But that cut list you provided could be true.

Jack Luminous
07-22-2005, 11:13 PM

Possibilities
Trvor Pryce $$$$
Ron Dayne
Jeff Shoate
Chris Young
Anton Palepoi
Marco Coleman

Do I assume you mean in the first round of cuts?

I agree Dayne is at risk.....you almost think he could be trade bait if he shows anythign at all.....because to me, Tater, MC Hammer and MA are locks....MA because of his versatility and MC because he was a third rounder, and Tater because he's Tater....Kyle Johson has the FB job, and it's his to lose.....Cecil Sapp is a mini-MA...he can play both RB spots, excels on Special Teams, and OH, BTW looked pretty good retruning KO's late last season....hmmmm, can you say Vaughn Hebron and Ruben Droughns....menaing the Broncos LIKE those backup RB's that have versatility and can retun kicks...In the end, I think Cecil makes it...

and don't forget Jerry Rice.....he is 42 now, right?

....just a thought...What if Paul Ernster is really good?

Sam_Z
07-22-2005, 11:53 PM
If MA is to be cut, it certainly wont be a over money issue. I think hes only making the vet. min. of 850 grand.

ttejuco
07-23-2005, 12:23 AM
These players are most likely going to get cut:

Kris Briggs
Curome Cox
Jeff Crowell
Todd Devoe
Tyler Fredrickson
Reese Hicks
Aaron Hunt
Grant Mattos
Chukie Nwokorie
Markus Steele
Demetrin Veal
Erik Pears
DJ Renteria
Tim Stuber

The not so obvious will be:

Charlie Adams
Ron Dayne
Wesley Duke (Practice Squad)
Chad Friedhauf (Practice Squad)
Mike Leach
Brandon Miree (Practice Squad)
Raylee Johnson
Bradlee Van Pelt (Practice Squad)
Chris Young
Chris Myers (Practice Squad)
Jeff Shoate
Dorsett Davis

I still dont know where Nate Jackson, Romar Crenshaw, Maurice Clarett, and the 3 drafted cornerbacks will end up, most will be on the practice squad i suppose. This is a fairely decent assumption.

Jared
07-23-2005, 12:24 AM

Possibilities
Trvor Pryce $$$$
Ron Dayne
Jeff Shoate
Chris Young
Anton Palepoi
Marco Coleman

Pryce would be the only one on there I would call a surprise. And I could see it happening for medical reasons.

OrangeShadow
07-23-2005, 05:34 AM
I dont see him getting cut. I think they are taking his word that htes going to have a monster season

Calif. Bronco
07-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Pryce would be the only one on there I would call a surprise. And I could see it happening for medical reasons.

I can see it now - we cut him, the Chargers sign him, and he sacks Jake late in the final game of the season to clinch the division for the Bolts - UGH!!!!! (go ahead and call me a pessimist) :ugh:

Perry1977
07-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Triandos Luke will be the biggest surprise cut.

Crenshaw makes #5 receiver.

:beer:

BroncoRT
07-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Triandos Luke will be the biggest surprise cut.

Crenshaw makes #5 receiver.

:beer:

Last year he looked confused a litlle disoriented on ST's and as WR. He didn't look good. After the trade rumors Dorsett Davis is probably gone.

Superchop7
07-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Clarrett..

Peerless
07-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Dwayne Carswell. He's trying to make it at a guard, but if it doesn't work I think he's gone.

Dean
07-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Surprise to who?? If you list them and they are cut then they are not a surprise to you. You thought that they might be cut. Maybe that would be a surprise to another person.

The only surprise cuts would be people that you feel have no possibility of being cut. :confused:

Jared
07-23-2005, 12:09 PM
I can see it now - we cut him, the Chargers sign him, and he sacks Jake late in the final game of the season to clinch the division for the Bolts - UGH!!!!! (go ahead and call me a pessimist) :ugh:

I said I could see him getting cut for medical reasons only. If he were physically unable to play, then no other team would sign him.

BroncoRT
07-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Clarrett..

What are you talking about? Clarrett is Shanny's dream project. Shanny is hoping that he is his ticket to legend status. Everybody said he was too slow, a head case etc. Shanny is looking for the challenge and the media hype. This guy has everything he wants. Shanny is going to develop him and run the hell out of him and make him in to a great RB or die trying. Next year or the following, Clarrett will be our horse.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
07-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Surprise Cuts

Meaning those I expect will make the team, but could see being cut

Trevor Pryce - Expensive, if he was going to be cut, it would have been after June 2nd anyway. And, must see how his back holds up in training camp, at the end of last season when he tried to come back, he had no power in his legs and couldnt perform leverage.

Luther Elliss - Hasn't played very much in 3 seasons due to injury. Hasn't played well since 1997. Even if he makes the team, he's limited to 15 snaps a game. For a million dollars, you'd think you could find better production.

Mario Fatafehi - I thought he was a lock to be cut, but now with moving Davis, it seems he will be kept as the 3rd string emergency NT. Still, a far cry from his starting days at NT, but terrible play will do that to you.

Marco Coleman - Talked out of retirement by Shanahan for one last season. Played well last year against the run. But the acquisition of Engleberger makes him completely unneccessary.

Anton Palepoi - He's a bust for a 2nd round pick, but he played ok for us last season. He's young and can play LDE or RDE. However, with all the DEs we've accumulated, I don't see where he fits in.

Dwayne Carswell - A team player that appears destined for coaching after he retires. His versatility is an asset, and I just can't see us cutting such a team player, though he just about 3rd string at every position.

Jerry Rice - I dont see how he cant make the team as at least the 5th WR. On the flip side, he's average at this point in his career and takes snaps away from developing youngsters.

Those are all guys I can see being cut for reasons stated, but I would be surprised if they were.

BroncoRT
07-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Surprise Cuts

Trevor Pryce - Expensive, if he was going to be cut, it would have been after June 2nd anyway. And, must see how his back holds up in training camp, at the end of last season when he tried to come back, he had no power in his legs and couldnt perform leverage.

Luther Elliss - Hasn't played very much in 3 seasons due to injury. Hasn't played well since 1997. Even if he makes the team, he's limited to 15 snaps a game. For a million dollars, you'd think you could find better production.

Mario Fatafehi - I thought he was a lock to be cut, but now with moving Davis, it seems he will be kept as the 3rd string emergency NT. Still, a far cry from his starting days at NT, but terrible play will do that to you.

Marco Coleman - Talked out of retirement by Shanahan for one last season. Played well last year against the run. But the acquisition of Engleberger makes him completely unneccessary.

Anton Palepoi - He's a bust for a 2nd round pick, but he played ok for us last season. He's young and can play LDE or RDE. However, with all the DEs we've accumulated, I don't see where he fits in.

Dwayne Carswell - A team player that appears destined for coaching after he retires. His versatility is an asset, and I just can't see us cutting such a team player, though he just about 3rd string at every position.

Jerry Rice - I dont see how he cant make the team as at least the 5th WR. On the flip side, he's average at this point in his career and takes snaps away from developing youngsters.

Those are all guys I can see being cut for reasons stated, but I would be surprised if they were.

I would be surprised if Carswell gets cut. I've always like this guy, he is a great blocker and good in the red zone. He is a liability outside the red zone because he can't stretch the field, but hopefully we will keep him. The signing of Alexander does put him at risk.

squints
07-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Clarrett..
I don't think so, Shanny went out on a linb and picked as a 3rd round pick. Shanny knew then that he was out of football for a while, and it will take time to back to the way he was. Shanny will give him atleast 2 years before the cut.

Cugel
07-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Surprise Cuts

Well, now that Dwayne Carswell is a tackle I don't see him getting cut.

I thought Fatafehi & Coleman were in real trouble. Now that Dorsett Davis is being moved that opens up some room for Fatafehi. But I agree that Coleman is in trouble with the signing of Engleberger, who is simply younger, healthier and better. There's a big pileup now at DL and I would expect both Luther Ellis and Marco Coleman to be cut. Never would have said that a month ago.

As for Jerry Rice, it's true keeping him means some potential development receiver gets cut. But then again . . . so what? :coffee:

What 5th string Bronco WR is going to make a difference in the NFL anyway? It's not as if the Broncos are so loaded at WR that they'd be cutting some future star! Downside risk? Potentially someone they cut makes another squad and becomes an adequate #3 WR. It's not as if potential future mediocre #3 WRs aren't already a dime a dozen.

No-one will ever miss the likes of Romar Crenshaw, Charlie Adams, Triandos Luke or B.J. Johnson, whichever of these guys doesn't make the squad because of Rice. There are plenty of guys kicking around the NFL with about the same talent level as them.

rcsodak
07-24-2005, 11:10 PM
No-one will ever miss the likes of Romar Crenshaw, Charlie Adams, Triandos Luke or B.J. Johnson, whichever of these guys doesn't make the squad because of Rice. There are plenty of guys kicking around the NFL with about the same talent level as them.
I don't know...how can you judge somebody that was just picked up last year, and hasn't played yet?
I happen to believe BJ will be a great receiver once he mends from his injury. He was as good if not better than R Williams, with TX, imo.
Romar....I know nothing about him except what I can read about him. He's small, fast and owns receiving records in DII. Nothing to sneeze at. He could easily land on the PS for another year and play lights out next year....or not. Who's to say.
Adams, I agree. He's fast, and that's about it. Luke is interesting, in that he's still learning the position, having hardly any passes thrown his way in college. He's said to have alot of upside. Why not wait? Plus, maybe he'll be a good backup return man to Williams, should he get hurt. At least he has some experience now.

Skywalker
07-24-2005, 11:11 PM
What are you talking about? Clarrett is Shanny's dream project. Shanny is hoping that he is his ticket to legend status. Everybody said he was too slow, a head case etc. Shanny is looking for the challenge and the media hype. This guy has everything he wants. Shanny is going to develop him and run the hell out of him and make him in to a great RB or die trying. Next year or the following, Clarrett will be our horse.

will you still be saying Clarett will be our horse if and when Tatum has a monster season?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
07-24-2005, 11:26 PM
I don't know...how can you judge somebody that was just picked up last year, and hasn't played yet?
I happen to believe BJ will be a great receiver once he mends from his injury. He was as good if not better than R Williams, with TX, imo.
Romar....I know nothing about him except what I can read about him. He's small, fast and owns receiving records in DII. Nothing to sneeze at. He could easily land on the PS for another year and play lights out next year....or not. Who's to say.
Adams, I agree. He's fast, and that's about it. Luke is interesting, in that he's still learning the position, having hardly any passes thrown his way in college. He's said to have alot of upside. Why not wait? Plus, maybe he'll be a good backup return man to Williams, should he get hurt. At least he has some experience now.

I agree with this analysis.

Luke, Crenshaw, and Johnson have alot of talent, and are not worth bouncing for a year's rental of Rice.

bcbronc
07-24-2005, 11:44 PM

Luke, Crenshaw, and Johnson have alot of talent, and are not worth bouncing for a year's rental of Rice.

but if we didnt have rice wouldnt most people feel that our experience at wr would be a huge question mark. some may not think rice is the best option but we definately need another "veteren" pressence in the recieving corp.

KnightOLB53
07-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Someone posted that Aaron Hunt will be a cut....I don't think so he played good in Europe i see him atleast on the Practice and stay longer then Davis.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
07-25-2005, 12:22 AM
but if we didnt have rice wouldnt most people feel that our experience at wr would be a huge question mark. some may not think rice is the best option but we definately need another "veteren" pressence in the recieving corp.

It's kind of a double-edged sword. We need to be grooming someone to replace Rod Smith in a few years, apparently that is Darius Watts. So, then we need to be grooming a slot WR for the near future. That's likely to be Triandos Luke, but if he's buried behind Rice, he's not going to develop.

But Rice is a safety net for if Rod Smith gets injured and we need another possession receiver to take Rod's place. There is little question that Rice (and perhaps BJ Johnson) are the only possession receivers on our roster outside Rod Smith.

Momentum
07-25-2005, 12:34 AM
I like Triandos and he better make the team but now as the season gets closer I see where having Jerry Rice out there will help. Especially in the red zone, he's got the greatest hands of all time.

I suspect the surprise cut could be clipboard (Kanell) if Mauck/BVP show anything at all. Also Pryce could get cut if he cant physically play along with at least 1 safety because we have too many (bye Sam Brandon).

GIVEME6
07-25-2005, 01:44 AM
I think Stephen Alexander gets cut. Shanny axed two guys that were thought to be locks for the roster, and I think that Nate Jackson will emerge as a TREMENDOUS threat at the TE spot. So much so that Alexander is given his walking papers, and Hape lives to fight another day. I also see Quentin Griffin being cut. He's coming back from a serious knee injury, and his running style doesn't fit our system. Dayne will grab his roster spot.

topscribe
07-25-2005, 06:43 AM
I think Stephen Alexander gets cut. Shanny axed two guys that were thought to be locks for the roster, and I think that Nate Jackson will emerge as a TREMENDOUS threat at the TE spot. So much so that Alexander is given his walking papers, and Hape lives to fight another day. I also see Quentin Griffin being cut. He's coming back from a serious knee injury, and his running style doesn't fit our system. Dayne will grab his roster spot.
Well, Alexander wouldn't be the first ex-Pro Bowler shown the door at the position.
Chamberlain's exit, as you remember, was a real shocker.

-----

BroncoRT
07-25-2005, 11:17 AM
will you still be saying Clarett will be our horse if and when Tatum has a monster season?

I have a strange feeling that Tatum will run for 1,500 yards each of the next two years and then get traded for draft picks or a defensive player. Our past two leading rushers were traded, don't be surprised if he was the third. :coffee:

theshiverman
07-25-2005, 01:02 PM

Anderson can play Runningback or Fullback at a high level, he aint going nowhere this year, but the same cant be said for Dorrset Davis, Sam Brandon, Ron Dayne, Cecil Sapp, Raylee Johnson and maybe even Marco Coleman. :coffee:

Peerless
07-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Anderson can play Runningback or Fullback at a high level, he aint going nowhere this year, but the same cant be said for Dorrset Davis, Sam Brandon, Ron Dayne, Cecil Sapp, Raylee Johnson and maybe even Marco Coleman. :coffee:
I can actually see Ron Dayne staying. People don't realize how BIG of a steal he is for the RZ. And in case of an injury, you pluck him in and he'll run good. See, in WI, Dayne ALWAYS started out slow. But as the game went on, he did. So I think he stays, but the others I agree with.

theshiverman
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I can actually see Ron Dayne staying. People don't realize how BIG of a steal he is for the RZ. And in case of an injury, you pluck him in and he'll run good. See, in WI, Dayne ALWAYS started out slow. But as the game went on, he did. So I think he stays, but the others I agree with.

yes, Dayne is a good back, i watched him in college, im putting him on the list because i think if a runner has to be cut that shanny wont cut Q, personally i think Q isnt that great and id rather have a big tackle breaking back like Dayne as my backup or 3rd string, but we are talking about shanny here and he loves Q . :coffee:

Peerless
07-25-2005, 04:06 PM
yes, Dayne is a good back, i watched him in college, im putting him on the list because i think if a runner has to be cut that shanny wont cut Q, personally i think Q isnt that great and id rather have a big tackle breaking back like Dayne as my backup or 3rd string, but we are talking about shanny here and he loves Q . :coffee:
I would think he cut Sapp... but I still don't know how many RB's he would want, it's shanny! lol.

Cugel
07-26-2005, 09:44 AM

I never said that B.J. Johnson would be cut, only that he would have to prove himself better than either Luke or Rice to make the squad. What's wrong with that? IF B.J. Johnson is what fans hope for him, he'll make it. Either of those guys could end up on the practice squad.

Either Luke, Crenshaw or Johnson won't make the squad if Rice stays. One of them will. Well, so what? If they aren't better than Jerry Rice at age 100 then . . . . :coffee:

My point is that we're talking about a #4 or #5 WR, and there are a LOT of guys floating around the NFL who have that level of talent. Maybe D.J. Johnson or Luke becomes a quality starting #3 WR in the future, but it's not like we're talking about cutting the next Anquan Boldin. :coffee:

Next year does anyone think we can't pick up a #4 WR off the waiver wire, or draft one?

Jack Luminous
07-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I never said that B.J. Johnson would be cut, only that he would have to prove himself better than either Luke or Rice to make the squad. What's wrong with that? IF B.J. Johnson is what fans hope for him, he'll make it. Either of those guys could end up on the practice squad.

Either Luke, Crenshaw or Johnson won't make the squad if Rice stays. One of them will. Well, so what? If they aren't better than Jerry Rice at age 100 then . . . . :coffee:

My point is that we're talking about a #4 or #5 WR, and there are a LOT of guys floating around the NFL who have that level of talent. Maybe D.J. Johnson or Luke becomes a quality starting #3 WR in the future, but it's not like we're talking about cutting the next Anquan Boldin. :coffee:

Next year does anyone think we can't pick up a #4 WR off the waiver wire, or draft one?

BJ Johnson, Romar Crenshaw and Triandos Luke are all eligible for a second year on the practice squad as well...so we would not necessarily have to 'cut our ties' with anyone of them if we don't choose to do so...

Mat'hir Uth Gan
07-26-2005, 01:40 PM
BJ Johnson, Romar Crenshaw and Triandos Luke are all eligible for a second year on the practice squad as well...so we would not necessarily have to 'cut our ties' with anyone of them if we don't choose to do so...

Actually, I think Luke is ineligable since he spent more then 8 games on the active roster last season. He has to make the roster or be released.

Johnson is eligable.

Crenshaw is as well unless he's been there for two seasons already, I can't remember if its been one or two for him.

Perry1977
07-26-2005, 06:34 PM
It's been one for Crenshaw.