PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts.....

NOLABroncofan
11-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Have seen a few polls on the boards lately asking for your opinions on "busts" we've picked up. Here's one that I don't think we've covered.

Who is the best player ever released by Denver ?

Just a few that come to mind...

Shannon Sharpe
Simon Fletcher
Lyle Alzado

Nuff said...

Orange&Blue
11-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Sharpe. Thankfully he came back to us. Why did we let him go in the first place anyway? Was it because Shanahan didn't like Shannon's smacktalking attitude?

NOLABroncofan
11-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Orange&Blue
Why did we let him go in the first place anyway? Was it because Shanahan didn't like Shannon's smacktalking attitude?

I saw something about that recently. Not positive, but I think it was a combo of salary cap, decreased playability, and Sharpe's average blocking that contributed to the decision. I'm glad we got him back as well.

Nuff said...

Mount-n-Groan
11-20-2003, 11:41 AM
That's a tough one. Generally, once players have left the organization then I didn't think they were worth squat anyway. Shannon would probably top the list and it's good to have him back. I'm sure some may say Romo... though he's not worth squat now.

Hey, whatever happened to Alfred Williams???

broncos4ever
11-20-2003, 11:44 AM
On Sharpe he also made a mistake that year about talking down to the Australians. Shanahan caught a lot of heat on that and I am sure that came into the decision making early. Shannon had a sour taste in his mouth all year on that one.

I think it was mutual though. At that time Shannon wanted to leave Denver because he did not think the Broncos valued him highly enough and to be honest they did not. They thought they could replace him and they still have not found a replacement.

That is why Shanahan is not wanting Sharpe to retire. He realizes what he lost when Sharpe left and he does not have a replacement for what Sharpe does, more importantly the leadership and respect that Sharpe garners not only from his teammates but the media in general.

broncos4ever
11-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by NOLABroncofan
Have seen a few polls on the boards lately asking for your opinions on "busts" we've picked up. Here's one that I don't think we've covered.

Who is the best player ever released by Denver ?

Just a few that come to mind...

Shannon Sharpe
Simon Fletcher
Lyle Alzado

Nuff said...

Hey I would suggest changing the title of this thread to the question that you posed to get more people to respond...

The question you asked is a perfect title for people to respond to. Some people will ignore this thread with the title "your thoughts".
Just a suggestion...

Javalon
11-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by broncos4ever
On Sharpe he also made a mistake that year about talking down to the Australians. Shanahan caught a lot of heat on that and I am sure that came into the decision making early. Shannon had a sour taste in his mouth all year on that one.

I think it was mutual though. At that time Shannon wanted to leave Denver because he did not think the Broncos valued him highly enough and to be honest they did not. They thought they could replace him and they still have not found a replacement.

That is why Shanahan is not wanting Sharpe to retire. He realizes what he lost when Sharpe left and he does not have a replacement for what Sharpe does, more importantly the leadership and respect that Sharpe garners not only from his teammates but the media in general.

I think the main factor was the salary cap. As great as Sharpe was, I think the Broncos felt that Shannon was nearing the end of his career (mistake) and that they had adequate replacements. They could have probably squeezed him under the cap for what Sharpe wanted to be paid but they would have been strapped for cash as a result.

Obviously, Griese wasn't the offensive leader that a QB should be so losing Shannon turned out to be a HUGE mistake. Hindsight is 20-20.

I'll miss Shannon when he retires but I think Jake will provide the leadership that Griese couldn't. While Shannon was gone, the Broncos did fairly well at tight-end by committee. Didn't Carswell even make the Pro Bowl one season while Shannon was a Raven?

Jared
11-21-2003, 06:44 AM
Steve Atwater

Broncs Bomber
11-21-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Jared
Steve Atwater

I agree. Thankfully though, the Jets were the team who took him. He's my favorite player, and that way I got to see him play every week. I think I'm the only person in creation who has an Atwater Jet's Jersey. They didn't release his jersey as part of the Jets Line that season, so I had one custom made. I still wear it every time I go to a Jets game and I've never seen another one.

NOLABroncofan
11-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Hey I would suggest changing the title of this thread to the question that you posed to get more people to respond...

The question you asked is a perfect title for people to respond to. Some people will ignore this thread with the title "your thoughts".
Just a suggestion...

Great idea... unfortunately I don't know how to change the title of a thread. :confused: Please school me if you do.

Atwater was another we shouldn't have gotten rid of. I believe he went to the jets and had a few good years there before retirement. I think Alfred Williams also retired. What a great team leader he was. Unfortunately he'd had way too may shoulder / back surgeries and already had 4 or 5 SB rings ( if memory serves ).

Nuff said...

TheGlue Factory
11-21-2003, 07:53 AM
Atwater was another we shouldn't have gotten rid of. I believe he went to the jets and had a few good years there before retirement.

ACtually Atwater played only 1 year with the Jets and came back to Denver to retire as a Bronco! He took 1 snap in practice and retired. It's good to see great players who are humble.

broncos4ever
11-21-2003, 08:21 AM
Great idea... unfortunately I don't know how to change the title of a thread. :confused: Please school me if you do.

Atwater was another we shouldn't have gotten rid of. I believe he went to the jets and had a few good years there before retirement. I think Alfred Williams also retired. What a great team leader he was. Unfortunately he'd had way too may shoulder / back surgeries and already had 4 or 5 SB rings ( if memory serves ).

Nuff said...

Actually I do, because I started a thread with the some miss-spelled words and I wanted to change it. Just go to your first post on this thread, (Select edit),and it will show the title because you started it. Change the title save the changes and it changes the title.

pikman
11-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by bcollin1
It's hard to argue with that Lyle Alzado pick. That wasn't salary cap driven like Sharpe's move was, so there's really no excuse.

But, no matter WHAT name you throw in there, it will never come CLOSE to how stupid the Avs were when they traded Drury away.:duh:

I'm STILL mad about that.

I don't know, seems to me replacing him a year later with karia and selanne doesn't look so bad.

Broncs Bomber
11-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by TheGlue Factory
ACtually Atwater played only 1 year with the Jets and came back to Denver to retire as a Bronco! He took 1 snap in practice and retired. It's good to see great players who are humble.

He took a detour on his way from NY back to Denver for a tryout in Carolina. It didn't work out and went home to retire.

NOLABroncofan
11-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Actually I do, because I started a thread with the some miss-spelled words and I wanted to change it. Just go to your first post on this thread, (Select edit),and it will show the title because you started it. Change the title save the changes and it changes the title.

Hmmm.... I tried that, but it doesn't appear to have worked.

and for TheGlue Factory & Broncs Bomber... thanks for the updates on Atwater. Looks like I need to brush up on my history :p

Nuff said...

pikman
11-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by bcollin1
That's forgetting that with Drury, we might have been able to get enough offense going in the playoffs last year to win the Cup again.

The guy is younger than Kariya and Selanne, and he's as much - if not more than - a playmaker as either of the two of them.

Drury wouldn't have made any difference last year. I don't want to get into a statistical battle here, but check the numbers. Drury can maybe oneday hope to be the offensive force Selanne has been in his career. Kariya can put up huge numbers that was evident early in his career and in college, but he got pigeonholed by Bab****s coaching philosophy. If Granatto let's these guys (Selanne, Kariya, Sakic, Forsberg, et al) go they can put up number like the Oilers of the 80's.