PDA

View Full Version : 7/30 A.M. Camp Notes

jletourneau
07-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Nothing too in depth, but here are a few camp notes from the A.M. session on Saturday.

- Lenny Walls was probably one of the standout performers of the A.M. Didn't get to see all his individual drills, but he was very solid and drew lots of praise from coaches and teammates.

- Champ had a very nice INT in team drills, albeit it was off of Van Pelt, but still a nice pick. Had some good knockdowns as well, but this is pretty much expected from Champ.

- Always fun to watch Al Wilson really buckle down and lead the defense. Never gets old watching him take command.

- Marco Coleman looked very good today. Lots of play time and played very hungry. He was working exceptionally hard before and during practice and didn't look long in the tooth at all.

- Trevor looked to get some good pressure on Jake during team drills, but still finding his way back with some technique. Went off to the side at one point during scrimmage to work on technique individually.

- Gerard Warren just looked big this morning, but not money. Time will tell. Nothing bad, just nothing great.

- Ian Gold looks like his old Bronco self out there and seems primed to add a very nice element to the defense.

- Ekuban and Brown weren't on the field much.

- Paymah was pretty much abused most of practice. Very raw. Ticked off Rod Smith pretty good during individual one on one drills.

- Roc Alexander looks much improved and seems to have his nose in there for nickel back.

- Foxworth looked solid for a rookie. Not too many mistakes, but nothing fantastic in this practice. He'll definitely get good P.T. though.

- Nick Ferguson looks very comfortable in his new starting role.

- Jake is enthusiastic as always, accurate, and seemed to have a bounce to his step this morning. Made a very nice decision to throw the ball away at one point in an optimum situation for such.

- Maurice Clarett showed very good vision. He runs much faster than his forty time although he looked a little winded from time to time. Really knew how to find the holes and hit them fluidly.

- Tatum Bell showed his awesome bursts of speed, but didn't seem to always run with much determination, more natural ability.

- M.A. was solid as always.

- I thought Kyle Johnson was very impressive this morning. Continued to catch the ball very well out of the backfield and will give Denver a true FB this season and a very good pass catching threat. He was one that really stood out this A.M.

- Ron Dayne didn't do much. I really have a hard time believing after watching this morning that he'll be able to make the team. But there's lots of camp left and it was just one morning.

- Matt Mauck looked very sharp, nothing spectacular, but refined.

- Kanell didn't impress me much until he threw a very nice deep completion to Triandos Luke who made a fantastic grab on the sideline.

- Van Pelt did not look good!!! I wish he did.

- Friehauf is definitely tall and skinney. Pretty accurate, but has some work to do to be more crisp.

- T. Luke looked average today. Made the one nice deep sideline catch, sometimes looked timid though.

- Nate Jackson didn't show the intensity I expected. It seems like they are giving him every chance to succeed by I just didn't see much passion from him today.

- Wes Duke looked further along than I thought he would, even though Clarett had to help him know how to do some basic footwork exercises.

- Putzier looked very good, catching nearly every ball and being thrown to a lot. I expect he and Stephen Alexander to be primary targets often. Jake seems to be looking for Putz.

- Ashley Lelie looked better in his cuts in the short game. I was encouraged by a few moves he made that revealed some growth on slants, outs, etc.

- Charlie Adams looked very solid to me. Should give a good battle for a roster spot and seems to be a favorite. Had a nice catch on Champ on a key sideline play.

- Todd DeVoe believe it or not really impressed me for what I was expecting. Very solid at everything he did. Seemed to play hungry and caught my eye several times during practice. Probably won't make the team, but perhaps a practice squad addition. I'd need to check his P.S. eligibility.

These are just a few opinions from one practice, I'll try to answer any questions if I can, but missed some on the other side of the field. Good solid practice this morning overall. Walls, Coleman, Adams, DeVoe and Kyle Johnson were who stuck out to me most. Van Pelt, Ron Dayne and Nate Jackson dissapointed me. Jackson wasn't bad because he did a good job catching the ball, but I expected more from him. Jerry Rice didn't practice, studied plays with the offense after arriving late.

ReleaseTheBeast7
07-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the update man!

How was my boy Jeremy LeSueur at safety?

jletourneau
07-30-2005, 11:40 AM
LeSueur looked decent. I didn't get a specific take on him. He ran second team safety I believe and didn't do anything to stand out much positively or negatively.

One thing I forgot to mention about Tatum was that he had a very nice over the shoulder deep catch about mid way through practice. Very nice grab. His hands looked improved overall today.

VikingsFan303
07-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Anyone know why Q wasn't practising today?

jletourneau
07-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Anyone know why Q wasn't practising today?

I was wondering that myself. There was no injury news out of yesterday's practice that I heard of.

Javalon
07-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I was wondering that myself. There was no injury news out of yesterday's practice that I heard of.
It was probably because he's coming off majory surgery. Even if he's basically healthy, they'll still take it easy on him for a while to avoid overworking it.

Thanks for the update, by the way. :cheers:

Sherlock21
07-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Pryce is trying a new side this year. He's lining opposite of the TE, and I read an article where he is just having to go through some fundamentals again. He did take a whole year off. I'm anxious to see how he improves though.

Nate Jackson. Hmm, I was hoping to hear more good things from him. He seemed to talk a good talk about the change to TE. I saw the video from the web site and he seemed to indicate he needs a lot of improvement on his blocking. At this point, I'm looking forward to Duke updates as he LOOKS like a physical specimen to be reckoned with.

I saw a video clip highlight of L. Walls trying to hang on to Rod Smith for dear life in order to make a play. Rod still made the catch.

Great updates and look forward to more of them!

Jaws
07-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks v much for the report. Much appreciated. :beer:

BroncosB2B
07-30-2005, 03:04 PM
So overally, did Tatum have a good day of practice or did he struggle? One of the Broncomania camp goers wasn't imporessed yesterday by Bell...

jletourneau
07-30-2005, 03:14 PM
So overally, did Tatum have a good day of practice or did he struggle? One of the Broncomania camp goers wasn't imporessed yesterday by Bell...

It looked like Tatum was much better today than was described yesterday. However, M.A. was solid in competition and Clarett really showed some skill, mainly vision. Tatum's burst was good through the hole, his biggest test will probably start to come when they add pads and more contact. However, Tatum's hands looked much improved this morning with a real nice over the shoulder grab deep. I think RB is going to be a real battle to the end of camp.

Jack Luminous
07-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Nothing too in depth, but here are a few camp notes from the A.M. session on Saturday.

- Lenny Walls was probably one of the standout performers of the A.M. Didn't get to see all his individual drills, but he was very solid and drew lots of praise from coaches and teammates.

- Champ had a very nice INT in team drills, albeit it was off of Van Pelt, but still a nice pick. Had some good knockdowns as well, but this is pretty much expected from Champ.

- Always fun to watch Al Wilson really buckle down and lead the defense. Never gets old watching him take command.

- Marco Coleman looked very good today. Lots of play time and played very hungry. He was working exceptionally hard before and during practice and didn't look long in the tooth at all.

- Trevor looked to get some good pressure on Jake during team drills, but still finding his way back with some technique. Went off to the side at one point during scrimmage to work on technique individually.

- Gerard Warren just looked big this morning, but not money. Time will tell. Nothing bad, just nothing great.

- Ian Gold looks like his old Bronco self out there and seems primed to add a very nice element to the defense.

- Ekuban and Brown weren't on the field much.

- Paymah was pretty much abused most of practice. Very raw. Ticked off Rod Smith pretty good during individual one on one drills.

- Roc Alexander looks much improved and seems to have his nose in there for nickel back.

- Foxworth looked solid for a rookie. Not too many mistakes, but nothing fantastic in this practice. He'll definitely get good P.T. though.

- Nick Ferguson looks very comfortable in his new starting role.

- Jake is enthusiastic as always, accurate, and seemed to have a bounce to his step this morning. Made a very nice decision to throw the ball away at one point in an optimum situation for such.

- Maurice Clarett showed very good vision. He runs much faster than his forty time although he looked a little winded from time to time. Really knew how to find the holes and hit them fluidly.

- Tatum Bell showed his awesome bursts of speed, but didn't seem to always run with much determination, more natural ability.

- M.A. was solid as always.

- I thought Kyle Johnson was very impressive this morning. Continued to catch the ball very well out of the backfield and will give Denver a true FB this season and a very good pass catching threat. He was one that really stood out this A.M.

- Ron Dayne didn't do much. I really have a hard time believing after watching this morning that he'll be able to make the team. But there's lots of camp left and it was just one morning.

- Matt Mauck looked very sharp, nothing spectacular, but refined.

- Kanell didn't impress me much until he threw a very nice deep completion to Triandos Luke who made a fantastic grab on the sideline.

- Van Pelt did not look good!!! I wish he did.

- Friehauf is definitely tall and skinney. Pretty accurate, but has some work to do to be more crisp.

- T. Luke looked average today. Made the one nice deep sideline catch, sometimes looked timid though.

- Nate Jackson didn't show the intensity I expected. It seems like they are giving him every chance to succeed by I just didn't see much passion from him today.

- Wes Duke looked further along than I thought he would, even though Clarett had to help him know how to do some basic footwork exercises.

- Putzier looked very good, catching nearly every ball and being thrown to a lot. I expect he and Stephen Alexander to be primary targets often. Jake seems to be looking for Putz.

- Ashley Lelie looked better in his cuts in the short game. I was encouraged by a few moves he made that revealed some growth on slants, outs, etc.

- Charlie Adams looked very solid to me. Should give a good battle for a roster spot and seems to be a favorite. Had a nice catch on Champ on a key sideline play.

- Todd DeVoe believe it or not really impressed me for what I was expecting. Very solid at everything he did. Seemed to play hungry and caught my eye several times during practice. Probably won't make the team, but perhaps a practice squad addition. I'd need to check his P.S. eligibility.

These are just a few opinions from one practice, I'll try to answer any questions if I can, but missed some on the other side of the field. Good solid practice this morning overall. Walls, Coleman, Adams, DeVoe and Kyle Johnson were who stuck out to me most. Van Pelt, Ron Dayne and Nate Jackson dissapointed me. Jackson wasn't bad because he did a good job catching the ball, but I expected more from him. Jerry Rice didn't practice, studied plays with the offense after arriving late.

Overall, J-Let wouldn't you say Tater was disappointing this morning?

I thought he was...

jletourneau
07-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Overall, J-Let wouldn't you say Tater was disappointing this morning?

I thought he was...

to a certain extent, yes I'd agree. I liked what I saw from M.A. and Clarett a lot better. I was especially impressed by Clarett's vision to find the hole consistently and even break the other way from the defense in the 9 on 7.

I thought Tatum still had good burst, but I'd agree with you that the intensity seems to be lacking. The one good thing I saw from Tatum though was in the RB/LB one on one drills he was actually catching the ball a lot better than his hands have shown in the past. He had an over the shoulder catch on a deep fade that was awesome considering who was catching it, that at least shows a different level of concentration on his part.

I see where you are coming from though after taking in the practice, I'd like to see a little more passion and intensity from Bell running the ball with a little more crispness instead of just relying on natural ability like speed.

I really think the jury will be out on Tatum until we can see him with pads and having to take a few hits. That's what I really want to see him reacting to. We know that won't be a problem for M.A. and probably not for Clarett, but I think this is where Tatum's job will be won or lost. Just my opinion though. I definitely can see where you're coming from being dissapointed though, Tatum has been built up quite a bit for a while and he's not doing anything much above average.

Sevenis7
07-30-2005, 04:53 PM
J-Let, any observations/comments about DJ's move to strong side LB? Also, your opinion of Brandon Browner. Luminous said he looked "horrible" covering WRs yesterday. Thanx for the info. Awesome job on TC updates.

jletourneau
07-30-2005, 05:14 PM
J-Let, any observations/comments about DJ's move to strong side LB? Also, your opinion of Brandon Browner. Luminous said he looked "horrible" covering WRs yesterday. Thanx for the info. Awesome job on TC updates.

I didn't get a great look at D.J. today. But he looked pretty comfortable from what I saw. He has very natural instincts and he seemed to play well over the tight end, coverage included. He looked like he had bulked up even more.

Browner didn't impress me to say the least, I wish I could say different. He was pretty non-existent. I don't think there is any chance he stays on at CB, but with more work at safety he will hopefully come around. He probably really has a learning curve right now so patience is probably the best medicine.

Jack Luminous
07-30-2005, 05:47 PM
to a certain extent, yes I'd agree. I liked what I saw from M.A. and Clarett a lot better. I was especially impressed by Clarett's vision to find the hole consistently and even break the other way from the defense in the 9 on 7.

I thought Tatum still had good burst, but I'd agree with you that the intensity seems to be lacking. The one good thing I saw from Tatum though was in the RB/LB one on one drills he was actually catching the ball a lot better than his hands have shown in the past. He had an over the shoulder catch on a deep fade that was awesome considering who was catching it, that at least shows a different level of concentration on his part.

I see where you are coming from though after taking in the practice, I'd like to see a little more passion and intensity from Bell running the ball with a little more crispness instead of just relying on natural ability like speed.

I really think the jury will be out on Tatum until we can see him with pads and having to take a few hits. That's what I really want to see him reacting to. We know that won't be a problem for M.A. and probably not for Clarett, but I think this is where Tatum's job will be won or lost. Just my opinion though. I definitely can see where you're coming from being dissapointed though, Tatum has been built up quite a bit for a while and he's not doing anything much above average.

Good summary. I agree.

The Dark Knight
07-31-2005, 06:31 AM
Wow, that would be crazy if we ended up starting Clarett over everyone else.

Shanny just might do it to piss off the haters.

RunByDesign
07-31-2005, 07:22 AM
Wow, that would be crazy if we ended up starting Clarett over everyone else.

Shanny just might do it to piss off the haters.

Or he might do it because he actually fits the system the best and performs the best.

Unlikely this early, but in time, possibly. :cheers:

Crush_570
07-31-2005, 09:45 AM
How is Watts looking this year?

Cugel
07-31-2005, 11:05 AM
I was surprised to hear that Ron Dayne was sleepwalking through practice. He'd better wake up if he wants to save his career!

Did you see Cecil Sapp at FB? Did he do anything worth mentioning?

What is the OL rotation now that Josh Sewell is retiring? I am concerned about OL depth now.