PDA

View Full Version : who was a harder hitter lott or atwater

stickyicky420
11-21-2003, 01:47 PM
i just wanted to throw this question out there because i cant decide on it myself

bry422
11-21-2003, 01:59 PM
My biased opinion tells me Atwater was the bigger hitter. He was my favorite Bronco player from the '90s, too.

His wipeout collision at the end of the DEN/GB Superbowl is still one of my favorite plays of all-time. It was big!

broncos4ever
11-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Atwater. That hit he put on Christian Okoye, really put him on the map with the rest of the NFL, we already knew about him.

pikman
11-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Never been hit by either of them. Couldn't tell you.
:)

Broncs Bomber
11-21-2003, 02:54 PM
I'll take someone else's word for it. I don't wanna get hit by either of 'em.

ozzy_osbourne
11-21-2003, 02:59 PM
I had a buddy who was playing for the Bungels back in the 80's and he was hit by Dennis Smith who put him out of football... so I would say Dennis Smith...

orangenblue420
11-21-2003, 03:00 PM
I'd take a hit from Atwater anyday ;)

Of course my UNbiased opinion is for Atwater, but they both could lay the funk pretty damn good..........

What I wouldnt give to have him and DS49 in our secondary right now, could you imagine?????????????:eek:

Woody
11-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Lott

AsianOrange
11-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Lott...but the hits Lott did would leave him broke today by today's saftey of the player

TXBRONC
11-21-2003, 03:26 PM
They both were big hitters, I would hate to live on the difference. However, when you think of Atwater you think of the hit in the Superbowl and the one on Okoye, Lott I can't think of hits that bare his signature.

AsianOrange
11-21-2003, 03:38 PM
When I played football..I wore #27 and hit like Lott...so...they both inspired me =)

RunByDesign
11-21-2003, 06:41 PM
I think Atwater hit harder...but I don't know if he hit MORE payers harder...Lott was always knocking out the player he hit and himself in many instances...Atwater was just usually knocking out other guys.....

COOLTOOL
11-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Surely, there are some Broncos fans who remember Dennis Smith(#49). If I remember correctly, atwater and smith even played together a couple years. I know he didn't have the numbers atwater and lott had, but in my opinion, he was the hardest hitter.

...Thanks for reminding me about he atwater/Okoye hit! I had forgotten:duh:

stickyicky420
11-21-2003, 10:24 PM
you can also throw tom jackson in there he was a maddog back in his days

Trench777
11-21-2003, 11:43 PM
Atwater hit like a freight-train! The hit on Okoye was legendary. I even remember Atwater's nickname back then..."The Smilin' Assassin". I'd pay BIG $$$ to see Atwater hit T. Owens just ONCE. "The Answer" would become "The Question" (Where the **** am I? Has the game started yet?) in a big hurry.

Dennis Smith & he did indeed play together (for several years, in fact, as I recall). The 2 of them were called the biggest hitting pair of safeties in the league, many times, by the Bronco-hating commentators back then.

And just for good measure, lets not forget Karl Mecklenburg (sp?) while we're remembering Tom Jackson.

L.B-7
11-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by tahuya man
Atwater was not in the same class as Ronnie Lott. Ronnie Lott is an all time great. Atwater was good, but not an all timer. Atwater vs Lott? Please.

Atwater wasnt in the same class?
You got to be crazy!

In no order these guys all owned at hard hits

Eugene Robinson
Dennis Smith
Steve Atwater
Ronnie Lott
and i would also throw in Chuck Cecil for hard hitting safetys.

Crazie
11-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Trench777
Atwater hit like a freight-train! The hit on Okoye was legendary. I even remember Atwater's nickname back then..."The Smilin' Assassin". I'd pay BIG $$$ to see Atwater hit T. Owens just ONCE. "The Answer" would become "The Question" (Where the **** am I? Has the game started yet?) in a big hurry.

Dennis Smith & he did indeed play together (for several years, in fact, as I recall). The 2 of them were called the biggest hitting pair of safeties in the league, many times, by the Bronco-hating commentators back then.

And just for good measure, lets not forget Karl Mecklenburg (sp?) while we're remembering Tom Jackson.

Heh I'd rather see him hit Randy Moss. But yeah Atwater is the harder hitter and the best ever in that position as far as I"m concerned. If it was up to me I would induct him into Hall of Fame. I kno it won't happen but still...also I have never been so pissed off than I was when Broncos let him go to the Jets.

TXBRONC
11-22-2003, 11:25 AM
To each is his own, however, I think that both were great, Atwater in my opinion was better.

jake meffley
11-22-2003, 12:02 PM
dennis smith.

he and atwater are certainly the hardest hitting DUO ever.
atwater had the size advantage and thus had a few more BIG hits, but overall smith (and lott) got in more licks on a regular basis.

jake

Jared
11-23-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Trench777

AHhhhhh....the cerebral member of the Orange Crush D. Smart and worked hard. TJ was more physically talented, as were a lot of guys, but Meck was big, and was so intelligent.

On safties....deciding between these two is like deciding between whether it hurts more to run into a concrete wall or a brick wall.....is the difference really that noticeable?

robert6612
11-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Atwater was a great hitter. Reminds me of Mike Curtis ,Linebacker, for the Baltimore Colts long ago !!

hammer51770
11-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Gotta go with Atwater. I'm very biased because not only was he a Bronco, he was also an Arkansas Razorback.