PDA

View Full Version : Great BVP Article, #2 QB behind Plummer

Sam_Z
08-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Great Article from the Rocky Mtn. News on BVP's progess, how hes matured and how Mike Shanahan is giving him a shot to work with the second team offense all week. Not a knock on Kanel but Shanny feels that BVP has a great deal of talent and deserves a long hard evaluation here.
I predict he does alot to impress the coaching staff and not only earns a roster spot but earns the #2 quarter back spot anyway here it is check it out!
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_3974083,00.html
One area Van Pelt admitted having trouble with is throwing the ball to Jerry Rice, he said he wants to throw the perfect pass to rice everytime, he wants to have the right zip and right length. But so far hasnt been getting it done with Jerry, but does admitt it comes back to imtimadation. However you wont see this bit in the article because I heard it on 7 news last night!

Bellthebest
08-03-2005, 07:02 AM
good read...I definetaly think that he has the ability to backup Jake...And even take over if he gets injured..

Jaws
08-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Good day for BVP fans. There's a good article in the Denverpost on him too.

ebsoria
08-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Wow, very nice story.

rcsodak
08-03-2005, 08:46 AM
IF, and that's a big if, BVP should show something to the coaches and his teammates, can anybody else see them trading Mauck to Saban's fins? For, say, a 3rd/4th rounder?

I guess it's really too early to start thinking these things, but, if we see Mauck playing a bunch in the preseason, and excelling, and BVP maybe doing mop up, then I'm not too certain it doesn't happen.

Opinions?

topscribe
08-03-2005, 09:07 AM
IF, and that's a big if, BVP should show something to the coaches and his teammates, can anybody else see them trading Mauck to Saban's fins? For, say, a 3rd/4th rounder?

I guess it's really too early to start thinking these things, but, if we see Mauck playing a bunch in the preseason, and excelling, and BVP maybe doing mop up, then I'm not too certain it doesn't happen.

Opinions?
It looks to me as if BVP has emerged as the coaches' darling, RC. It seems apparent by now that Shanny much prefers the QB with scrambling, rollout abilities. Elway had them (of course), Jake had them, and now there is BVP. Moreover, BVP's accuracy has reportedly improved a great deal. I would not be surprised to see the Broncos attempt to fashion trades in that area, but it is looking increasingly as if they intend to keep BVP.

-----

Peerless
08-03-2005, 09:26 AM
;) I hope he can beat out Danny K. I don't have anything against him, except I have everything against him.

DBattack
08-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Van Pelt sucks

diesel51
08-03-2005, 11:50 AM
I find it ironic that a day before the story is written up in the Post and the Rockymountainnews, I said that the possibility of Van Pelt at #2 wasn't outrageous.

I feel good. NA NA NA NA NA NA NA. And I knew that I would. :D

GIVEME6
08-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Van Pelt sucks

I wouldn't say he sucks, but he definitely needs to be more accurate. I still think Matt Mauck will beat him out for the #2 spot, but I can see Kanell getting his walking papers now that BVP has shown marked improvement.

txsbronco
08-03-2005, 12:23 PM
This being my first post to the board, I would like to thank those who are giving TC updates. Living in Texas is hard when you are a Bronco Fan. I feel that MS is going to give VP and MM a long look to back up JP. WE ALL KNOW THAT DK IS NOT THE ANSWER, if he was MS would not tried to get Garcia to come to camp. JP is ten times better than DK on his worst day.

silkamilkamonic
08-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Van Pelt sucks

Unfortunately, so does Mauck, Kanell, and Friehauff or whatever his name is.

GIVEME6
08-03-2005, 12:39 PM
How does Mauck suck? If I've added them up correctly, Mauck has less INTs than any QB in camp so far. People are reading too much into BVP taking snaps with the second team. Jobs aren't won in only 6 days of camp.... :duh:

silkamilkamonic
08-03-2005, 12:43 PM
How does Mauck suck? If I've added them up correctly, Mauck has less INTs than any QB in camp so far. People are reading too much into BVP taking snaps with the second team. Jobs aren't won in only 6 days of camp.... :duh:

Your talking about camp, which is rendered meaningless. And if your right, Denver might as well quit now, because noone will stop Kerry Collins and the Oakland Raiders offense, who is said to be having an absolutely exceptional camp.

Mauck is like a Ken Dorsey in terms of talent.

He doesn't have a great arm, he's not very accurate, he's not athletically talented, and he's not going to win games on his own.

diesel51
08-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Jobs aren't won in only 6 days of camp....

Yea right. I believe Barry Sanders won his with it out ever attending camp, on his very first carry. :D

Still, Mauck ain't no Barry. :goofy:

Mount-n-Groan
08-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Something to consider... There might just be something to this, but not what most people think...

During the offseason many of us assumed/predicted Kannell would be the #2 followed by Mauck and BVP (as 3 & 4 in some order). Camp starts and it became "apparent" that maybe Mauck (and even BVP) could overtake Kanell.

At first I thought they gave reps to BVP to give him a good look; knowing that true potential might not be realized while working with a bunch of scrubs. The reports today seemingly clarify the situation. Not only are they giving him a better look, but it may be possible that BVP has taken over the #2 position!!! Wow... I knew Kanell wasn't looking too hot and Mauck was, but this?

Then I remembered Kanell's statement: "Now's not the best time to talk to me," Kanell said after Tuesday's morning workout. "I'm just going to keep working hard and I think things will fall into place."

Kanell is obviously upset about the situation. #2 to #4 in a week? Sucks for him, blond hair and all. What this tells me is that this is no joke; or at least, they want you (and everybody else) to believe that it's no joke.

So, some GM for some QB starved team is reading the sports wire this morning and sees this bit about BVP. He figures if he's good enough for Shanny's #2 then he'd be good enough for him and his team's #2 or #3. GM says, "Note to self: watch for BVP" and then he goes about his busy business. A few weeks later and look who the Broncos want to trade? Why, it's BVP!!! Cha-ching!!! He gets his shot somewhere else and we get a draft pick.

It may not be so much that they're giving BVP a look, but rather they're giving everybody a look at BVP. Conspiratorial as it is already, one of BVP's statements is almost telling:

"But if Coach Shanahan says he's going to look at me at No. 2, do you think I'd be that bad?"

Is he asking the fans, or other teams?

Who knows? And, again I'll say that I certainly don't, but it is interesting to think about. It's also a peculiar development which usually tells me that there's more to it than what meets the eye - so to speak.

I'll add that if this is what it appears to be, that BVP is rising, then I'm cool with that. If BVP remains a Bronco and becomes half the stud that some people think he is then I'll be the last to be bummed about it too.

:cross:

silkamilkamonic
08-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Something to consider... There might just be something to this, but not what most people think...

During the offseason many of us assumed/predicted Kannell would be the #2 followed by Mauck and BVP (as 3 & 4 in some order). Camp starts and it became "apparent" that maybe Mauck (and even BVP) could overtake Kanell.

At first I thought they gave reps to BVP to give him a good look; knowing that true potential might not be realized while working with a bunch of scrubs. The reports today seemingly clarify the situation. Not only are they giving him a better look, but it may be possible that BVP has taken over the #2 position!!! Wow... I knew Kanell wasn't looking too hot and Mauck was, but this?

Then I remembered Kanell's statement: "Now's not the best time to talk to me," Kanell said after Tuesday's morning workout. "I'm just going to keep working hard and I think things will fall into place."

Kanell is obviously upset about the situation. #2 to #4 in a week? Sucks for him, blond hair and all. What this tells me is that this is no joke; or at least, they want you (and everybody else) to believe that it's no joke.

So, some GM for some QB starved team is reading the sports wire this morning and sees this bit about BVP. He figures if he's good enough for Shanny's #2 then he'd be good enough for him and his team's #2 or #3. GM says, "Note to self: watch for BVP" and then he goes about his busy business. A few weeks later and look who the Broncos want to trade? Why, it's BVP!!! Cha-ching!!! He gets his shot somewhere else and we get a draft pick.

It may not be so much that they're giving BVP a look, but rather they're giving everybody a look at BVP. Conspiratorial as it is already, one of BVP's statements is almost telling:

"But if Coach Shanahan says he's going to look at me at No. 2, do you think I'd be that bad?"

Is he asking the fans, or other teams?

Who knows? And, again I'll say that I certainly don't, but it is interesting to think about. It's also a peculiar development which usually tells me that there's more to it than what meets the eye - so to speak.

I'll add that if this is what it appears to be, that BVP is rising, then I'm cool with that. If BVP remains a Bronco and becomes half the stud that some people think he is then I'll be the last to be bummed about it too.

:cross:

1 of 2 scenarios will come of this....

1)BVP will suck in preseason games, and no one will want to trade for him.

2)BVP will show he's for real, and Shanahan will want to keep him as the #2 QB.

Either way, no one will offer anything for a 7th round QB struggling to make a team in his second year.

diesel51
08-03-2005, 02:10 PM
You read alot more into that move than I did. My feelings would go somewhere along these lines.

BVP does possess similar athletic abilty to Jake, so if he can improve his accuracy and decision making(improvements obviously HAVE been made), he would definitely make a better backup to Jake than Mauck or Kannel.

Still, if BVP is #2 going into the season, my theory is we keep 3 QBs, with one of them being Kannel. Hold on now, and let me explain.

If Mauck plays well in preseason, and he and Kannel are pretty close in effectiveness, I see Mauck being used as trade bait to any number of teams who could use a QB.

First option, Miami Dolphins. Nick Saban coached Mauck at LSU, knows his capabilities, knows that he is a game manager, ala Brian Griese. If he isn't happy with Feely or Ferrotte, or feels he wants someone in there who would have less INTS than the 'F's, I see this as a viable option for a draft pick.

Second option, Cleveland Browns. I think Dilfer has the job hands down, but he is also a game manager QB. To protect themselves, the Browns might consider a draft pick next year worth a good backup, who is also a game manager.

Third option, Dallas Cowboys. Another team whose starter is entrenched, but they aren't to excited about their options after that.

These are all dependent on whether Mauck plays well.

So what you think?

Mount-n-Groan
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
So what you think?

That could be. Specifically, the Saban-Mauck connection is interesting. Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of the whole thing. It's obvious we have too many QB's and somebody's got to go - maybe two somebody's. The only way that we keep them all is to have 3 on the active roster and 2 on the PS; and that's not going to happen. It's only natural to believe that Shanny would like to get something in return for one of these guys. But who? ...and what?

Something else; remember how they opted to keep BVP here instead of sending him to NFL Europe? If they were intent on trading him then they probably would've sent him just so that he could have a chance to showcase his talents.

Your scenario is probably more likely than mine. If he's arrived, then him as #2, an emergency experienced QB in Kanell (if he will stand for that), ship Mauck off to some place getting a pick in return and put the Oredigger Friehauf on the practice squad.... Sounds good to me.... if BVP truly has "arrived".

I wasn't shocked that he was getting his chance, but I was shocked that he's apparently THE backup QB right now. Shanny has been known to "use" the media in the past so I figured this was another of his ploys.... for whatever reason.

rcsodak
08-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Mulder, I think you've won over Scully...... :coffee:

GIVEME6
08-03-2005, 10:24 PM
I think it's funny how people say Mauck isn't accurate, when BVP couldn't hit the floor if he fell down. When it's all said and done, Matt Mauck will be the #2 and he CAN win us some games.

topscribe
08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Terrific thought-provoking posts and exchange. Who knows, you may be right, and you may be wrong.

Goodness knows, you've been both. :P

But indeed you showed some perspicuity in your comments. Points to both of you.

EDIT: "You must spread some Contributor Status around before giving it to diesel51 again." I'll get you after spreading some love.

-----

SDCABRONCO
08-05-2005, 02:37 AM
My only worry at this point is that BVP is being used by the coaches/front office for trade bait. From what I am hearing he is clearly the #2 play wise, and if that changes the other motives of the coaching staff need to be evaluated.

silkamilkamonic
08-05-2005, 12:00 PM
I think it's funny how people say Mauck isn't accurate, when BVP couldn't hit the floor if he fell down. When it's all said and done, Matt Mauck will be the #2 and he CAN win us some games.

Not if he keeps playing the way he is in training camp.

He has yet to show he can move the ball against the third and fourth teams, and he knows what defenses formations the defenses are in.

He can't do that in practice, there's no way in he!! he's going to be able to do that in a preseason game.

Cugel
08-05-2005, 01:28 PM
1 of 2 scenarios will come of this....

1)BVP will suck in preseason games, and no one will want to trade for him.

2)BVP will show he's for real, and Shanahan will want to keep him as the #2 QB.

Either way, no one will offer anything for a 7th round QB struggling to make a team in his second year.
I think this is correct! M-N-G's scenario is way off base in my view.

There are lots of undrafted/6th/7th round used-to-be and "potential upside" QBs floating around the league and even in NFL Europe and Canada.

Every team has some potential" QB like BVP or Mauch, most have 2 or 3. Nobody is going to give up a draft choice for some unproven former 7th rounder. They'll just wait until Mauch or BVP hits the waiver wire and if they're interested they'll bring him in for a look.

More likely, he'll sit out the season after he gets cut and wind up going to training camp with another chance to compete for a backup position somewhere else next year. Assuming he still wants to play football that is.

There are hundreds of stories like Mauch's -- former college stars who drift around the fringes of the league for a few years. Remember Jarious Jackson? Where is he now? How many seas of ink were wasted on his "potential upside" and "mobility". He had his time on the bench and now he's gone.

Looks like the bell tolls for Mauch this year. Maybe he'll land somewhere and prove himself capable. It's no big deal either way.

Mount-n-Groan
08-05-2005, 01:46 PM
I think this is correct! M-N-G's scenario is way off base in my view.

Ironically, I agree. :heh:

Sometimes clarity evolves through considering scenarios from the edge - at least for me.

..and now, where'd those black helicopters go? :huh:

Momentum
08-05-2005, 02:32 PM
BVP and Mauck were 7th rounders.... believe me, if someone wanted them they would have drafted them last year. They certainly arent giving up picks for them in retrospect.

Charlie Brown
08-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Second option, Cleveland Browns. I think Dilfer has the job hands down, but he is also a game manager QB. To protect themselves, the Browns might consider a draft pick next year worth a good backup, who is also a game manager.

So what you think?

Absolutely impossible.

No way in heck. The Browns wouldn't trade for them at all. Just look at the Browns Depth at QB:

1: Trent Dilfer - Starter
2: Doug Johnson - One Year Stint
3: Charlie Frye - Being Groomed to be QB of the future
4. Josh Harris - Backup
5. Lang Campbell - Likely Practice Squad

JRWIZ
08-05-2005, 03:10 PM
If mauch doe nto make as a QB he goes directly to dental school to become a dentist. He came to the Broncos last year on a whim to see if he could make it.

rcsodak
08-05-2005, 09:37 PM
If mauch doe nto make as a QB he goes directly to dental school to become a dentist. He came to the Broncos last year on a whim to see if he could make it.

And who knows....he may have made mention to Shanny about that also....."If you don't think I will be the #2 man, then send me on my way......"....or something to that effect.

But I'd rather see him getting the touches than gorilla arms.......

al_wilson_fan
08-08-2005, 04:36 PM
because noone will stop Kerry Collins and the Oakland Raiders offense, who is said to be having an absolutely exceptional camp.

Oh sweet God, you must be kidding me? I think 4 moderators, 3 CPA's, 2 Nun's, an elderly man and your Mom could stop the Joketown Faiders!!!