PDA

View Full Version : August 4th Training camp

RunYouOver
08-04-2005, 06:05 AM
From the Rocky Mountain News

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_3976690,00.html

The Broncos will practice twice today at their Dove Valley complex. Their morning practice will begin at 8:30 a.m. with gates opening at 7:30. Their afternoon workout starts at 3:50 p.m. with gates opening at 2:50. Admission to the practices, and parking on the west side of the complex, are free.

Day in review

The Broncos' morning practice ended with an off-target throw from Matt Mauck to Todd Devoe, which summed up the quarterbacks' inability as a whole to get the ball downfield with accuracy so far during camp. Another example came earlier when starter Jake Plummer had Ashley Lelie in single coverage, with the receiver in perfect position against Champ Bailey on a deep-post route, but the ball fluttered and was well off the mark. Another time, Lelie had to lay out for a bomb to the right pylon and nearly made an acrobatic catch with Domonique Foxworth covering, but the pass was incomplete. Plummer was sharp on the intermediate game. His play-action pass for a first down to tight end Stephen Alexander ended one team session and he connected with Rod Smith several other times. The offense did have several offsides penalties, rankling the coaches. Bailey made the play of the day for a defense that created several more turnovers. Plummer checked down to running back Tatum Bell on a swing pass in seven-on-seven skeleton drills. Bell bobbled the ball and Bailey made an acrobatic catch for the interception and would-be touchdown. Safety Nick Ferguson and Ian Gold also had interceptions during the team period. Also Wednesday morning, Jason Elam went through his second kicking session of the week and went 10-for-10 for a second time, starting with extra points and finishing with field goals ranging from 22 to 43 yards. The afternoon practice was devoted to special teams and was moved to the South Suburban Family Sports Center because of thunderstorms.

Turning heads

Mike Leach's primary value always has been on special teams, but the past couple of days he has shown his skills as a tight end could help him make the team in a tight battle with Nate Jackson and Patrick Hape, who also long snaps but isn't as accomplished at that skill.

In a goal-line drill against the first-team defense Tuesday, Leach made a nice touchdown grab on a crossing route. He followed that with a strong effort in practice Wednesday morning, making three tough grabs against the first-team defense, including a 25-yard strike from Mauck and a reception in which he blocked D.J. Williams to the ball with solid body positioning. Alexander and Jeb Putzier are locks for the roster at tight end, so Hape and Leach will need to impress to keep their roster spots. Denver did keep four tight ends last year, switching Dwayne Carswell to offensive line this off-season.

Injury report

The entire Broncos roster participated in the lone full-team workout, except for defensive end Trevor Pryce. Pryce felt soreness in his surgically repaired back in the morning workout Tuesday and was yanked from the lineup at that time, missing the next two practices. His back trouble is not believed to be serious.

Meet . . . Anthony Clement

At 6-foot-8, 320 pounds, Clement is perhaps the most physically imposing player on the Broncos roster. No news there. Clement always has towered above the competition.

"I was always the biggest and tallest kid, coming up from primary to elementary to junior high to high school," said Clement, who, in the seventh grade, was about 6-foot tall and well in excess of 200 pounds. "I had tall cousins, and at one point, I outgrew them."

It helped him become a shot-blocking force on the basketball court.

"I always used it to my advantage," he said. "Kids thought it was a great thing. At one point in elementary school, we used to have these goals that were probably 7-feet tall and I could just raise my hand up and put the ball in while everybody else had to jump. So I was always the first kid (picked) when we played basketball."

Arizona took him as the 38th selection in the 1998 draft out of Louisiana-Lafayette, Clement's hometown school. He started 45 consecutive games from 1999 to 2001 and 70 of 82 games in seven seasons with the Cardinals before signing with Denver in the spring.

Clement merely was part of a housecleaning that began right away during Dennis Green's first season as Cardinals coach.

"I got beaten down mentally and physically, from the way we used to hold camps to just going through the season and always having people showing up unhealthy from camp . . . to just losing games," Clement said.

In Broncos camp, Clement is running with the second-team line behind George Foster at right tackle, his natural position. He's competing with Cornell Green for the primary backup spot.

"My first impression is that this is a great organization," Clement said. "It's really a big step from what was going on with the Cardinals. The team, the attitude is a lot better. There's more confidence. The atmosphere is just a lot better than what I've gone through."

Camp schedule

Practice schedule for the Denver Broncos' training camp at their Dove Valley facility. Gates open one hour before the start of practice. Practice times and dates are subject to change.

Date A.M. P.M.

Today 8:30 3:50

Friday 8:30 3:40*

Saturday 8:30 No practice

Sunday No practice No practice

Monday 8:45 3:50

Tuesday 8:45 No practice

No practices at Dove Valley Wednesday through Aug. 13. The Broncos will practice Wednesday through Aug. 12 in Houston and play the Texans on Aug. 13.

Aug. 14 No practice No practice

Aug. 15 No practice Closed to the public

Aug. 16 8:30 3:40*

Aug. 17 8:30 3:50

Aug. 18 8:30 3:40** Special Teams

Anyone who goes to camp, please tell us what YOU see today, and in the future.

RoorRipper
08-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Cool. :beer:
It's kind of odd Clement was signed with us. With one of my Madden franchises I put him on our squad and he did really well.
Anyway, Pryce is worrying me. I really hope is back will start to feel better when the preseason comes along. I am very happy to see our defense forcing turnovers and playing tight coverage. :D

Denver'sChamp
08-04-2005, 10:31 AM
According to Rocky Mountain News, Pryce said his back isn't troubling him. Feugerson has been getting interception. Warren has been creating pressure. Bailey is playing superb. Darrent Williams has turned into a lighting bolt.

JRWIZ
08-04-2005, 10:53 AM
According to Rocky Mountain News, Pryce said his back isn't troubling him. Feugerson has been getting interception. Warren has been creating pressure. Bailey is playing superb. Darrent Williams has turned into a lighting bolt.

Talk is cheap he also said he'd be back last year.

The couple of years before he played but never really put his heart in it.

Hope they can find someone to replace this malingerer and cut him save some cap space.

Duilen
08-04-2005, 11:27 AM

Whats this about Darrent Williams turning into a lighting bolt?

Denver'sChamp
08-04-2005, 01:34 PM
I tis on todays Rocky Mountain News.

rcsodak
08-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Talk is cheap he also said he'd be back last year.

The couple of years before he played but never really put his heart in it.

Hope they can find someone to replace this malingerer and cut him save some cap space.

Won't save very much cap space, jr.......he's still under contract, so there'll be significant dead money to deal with.....AGAIN!!!!!

JRWIZ
08-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Won't save very much cap space, jr.......he's still under contract, so there'll be significant dead money to deal with.....AGAIN!!!!!

Yes I realize that but it is better to be gone with someone that has not really produced since 2000, I think it was when he got his new contract.

If he is gonna play little if at all this year, make a clean break and move on.

Eat the the bonus money, but save the salary and make room for another DL type guy.

I'm trusting Mikey to make the right choice, considering he has been calling this clown out, now for 2-3 years and after 2003 BIG TIME.

I'd say that price better be his old self or he is toast. No sense in throwing good money after bad.