PDA

View Full Version : Most dominant confrence

plummer4presdnt
08-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Coming into the new year of college football with all the losses to the dominant teams, which confrence is the most jam-packed with the most complete teams and has the best shot to lead a team to the Nat'l title or the most teams to the BCS bowls?

I believe that the SEC still has too many good teams. LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, possibly Alabama are the leading teams and at least 4 of them will be in the top 25 at the beginning and have the most complete teams besides Auburn's losses to control all the others. the Pac-10 has USC and CAL without Aaron Rogers. Big 12 has Texas and Oklahoma. ACC has lost a few teams and only gained BC so they arent too hot. The Big East with newly brought in Louisville and its regular players are ok. The Big ten might have the other best league with Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. But the SEC should be better.

LordOfChaos
08-12-2005, 05:49 AM
I believe that the SEC still has too many good teams. LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, possibly Alabama are the leading teams

Dont forget Tennessee, I would put them top 3 in that list.

NJBRONCOSFAN
08-12-2005, 05:55 AM
Last year, I definitely would have said the SEC is the toughest conference...this year I think it's a different story.
For starters, Tennessee might be the best team in the sec.
Auburn is still good, but they lost a lot of key guys.
Florida has a new coach, and South Carolina, well, I don't expect much from them.
Georgia will be good for sure, but they've lost a ton of leadership, not to mention keys at some key positions.

I'd say that the Big Ten is the best conference in the nation this year.
Ohio State and Michigan are both very legitimate national champion contenders.
Iowa might be the most under-rated team in the nation.
I believe the big ten has 3 teams ranked in the top ten, which no other conference can claim.

Let's hear some fools talk about the east coast bias..i love hearing that ****

thesaint
08-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Sorry its still the SEC. :D

Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, LSU, and UGA could all be top 15 teams.
Compared to 3 from the Big 10? Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa? Purdue might be tough, but we could compare them to Alabama.

NJBRONCOSFAN
08-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Well, I don't know...no team from the SEC is really considered a real national championship contender...sure you could make arguments for some of them i'm sure, but Michigan and Ohio State are frontrunners, Iowa isn't just a small step behind them, and is a viable powerhouse..as good as any team in the sec.
Purdue is a step behind, returning 11 defensive starters (i think) and no michigan or ohio st. on the schedule this year.
I think to put Purdue and Alabama on the same level is unfair to Purdue.

To argue what you say, while the sec might have 6 in the top 15, they only have 2 in the top ten right now, which is less than the big ten.

thesaint
08-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Tennesse is being ranked in the top 5 in many publications. I dont particularly buy it but... And LSU is being ranked in the top 10. Those could be National Championship contenders.
Besides you have to rate the conference from top to bottom. If its just based on National Championship contenders then the PAC-10 is #1. :laugh:

Top to bottom the SEC has better teams. Teams like Arkansas, South Carolina, Ole Miss and ...even...dont laugh...Vanderbilt are pretty decent squads. Compared to Indiana, Penn State, and Minnesota...I'll take the SEC.

BVP
08-14-2005, 11:34 PM
I think that the Big 12 is the hardest with: Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Missouri, hate to say it, but Colorado and Texas A&M.

Or, the ACC with: Florida St. :rockon: , Miami, Virginia, VT, Maryland North Carolina(they did good last season) and Clemson.

Skywalker
08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
I think that the Big 12 is the hardest with: Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Missouri, hate to say it, but Colorado and Texas A&M.

Or, the ACC with: Florida St. :rockon: , Miami, Virginia, VT, Maryland North Carolina(they did good last season) and Clemson.

I have to agree with you 100% on the Big-12 :D

thesaint
08-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Aside from OU and Texas the Big 12 doesnt have anything. T. Tech is maybe a top 25 team. A&M still has McNeal but they lost alot of people I dont know if they would be top 25. The Big 12 North is horribly mediocre.
The Big 12 cant hang with the SEC. Neither can the ACC which last year showed how average it was. The ACC has 3 teams in Miami, FSU and VTech and FSU has had alot of offseason problems...

NJBRONCOSFAN
08-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Aside from OU and Texas the Big 12 doesnt have anything. T. Tech is maybe a top 25 team. A&M still has McNeal but they lost alot of people I dont know if they would be top 25. The Big 12 North is horribly mediocre.
The Big 12 cant hang with the SEC. Neither can the ACC which last year showed how average it was. The ACC has 3 teams in Miami, FSU and VTech and FSU has had alot of offseason problems...
none of the above mentioned conferences can hang with this year's big ten :P (that includes the SEC!!! ;) )

thesaint
08-15-2005, 11:48 AM
none of the above mentioned conferences can hang with this year's big ten :P (that includes the SEC!!! ;) )

...said the bitter Notre Dame fan... :laugh:

rcsodak
08-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Hmmmm....which conference has been represented the most in the NC the last 4 years????????

BVP
08-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I believe that answer belongs to the conference of the best NCAA football team in the nation USC(By the way, I have always like USC cause my aunt went to college there. :rockon: . The Pac-10.

NJBRONCOSFAN
08-16-2005, 03:56 AM
They didn't ask to single out one team...which conference has the most depth?

Oklahoma and Texas are both good, but there's a huge dropoff after that, and the Big 12 North is pitiful.
USC obviously is very very good, but there's not much after them.

thesaint
08-16-2005, 05:40 AM
They didn't ask to single out one team...which conference has the most depth?

USC obviously is very very good, but there's not much after them.

Agreed. I'll go one further and say that you could make a case for the Pac 10 being one of the worst major conferences in the country for the past few years...with the exception of USC there isnt another team worth talking about.

BroncoInATL
08-16-2005, 08:45 PM
1. SEC
2. Big 12
3. ACC

NJBRONCOSFAN
08-17-2005, 05:20 AM
Agreed. I'll go one further and say that you could make a case for the Pac 10 being one of the worst major conferences in the country for the past few years...with the exception of USC there isnt another team worth talking about.
Do you think the Big Ten and the SEC are the best two? (Not necessarily in that order)

thesaint
08-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Yeah, I do this year.

Usually you could put the Big 12 in there but the North is so weak that they dont really belong. Aside from Texas and OU the Big 12 doesnt have much.

The ACC isnt nearly as strong as everyone thought it would be last year, and I think it will be the same this year. FSU has had a ton of problems (darn ticks! :D )and Ive heard their young QBs arent playing well, Miami lost alot more than people think. VTech may win that conference again.

NJBRONCOSFAN
08-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Yeah, I do this year.

Well, obviously it changes from year to year...last year I thought the SEC was hands-down the best conference, and long before the bowl games, i was saying it should be USC- Auburn.

thesaint
08-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Well, obviously it changes from year to year...last year I thought the SEC was hands-down the best conference, and long before the bowl games, i was saying it should be USC- Auburn.

You were right, it should have been. To go through the SEC undefeated? They should have had a shot. And I dont know that they would have beat USC but that defense was pretty tough. I dont think they would have given up 55 points and gone out like OU did...

rcsodak
08-23-2005, 09:29 PM
I believe that answer belongs to the conference of the best NCAA football team in the nation USC(By the way, I have always like USC cause my aunt went to college there. :rockon: . The Pac-10.

Uh, no.....that's NOT the correct answer. Travel back to Go, do NOT collect $200. :coffee:

rcsodak
08-23-2005, 09:30 PM
You were right, it should have been. To go through the SEC undefeated? They should have had a shot. And I dont know that they would have beat USC but that defense was pretty tough. I dont think they would have given up 55 points and gone out like OU did...

You're right. They'd have given up even more, most likely. They didn't have an offense worth a crap, meaning the defense would have been on the field even longer and wore out.

The two best teams played.....OU just had one of those denver v indy nights...... :ugh:

Jared
08-23-2005, 10:11 PM
You're right. They'd have given up even more, most likely. They didn't have an offense worth a crap, meaning the defense would have been on the field even longer and wore out.

The two best teams played.....OU just had one of those denver v indy nights...... :ugh:

Auburn averaged 33 pts a game. So, it's a misnomer to say that their offense was bad. It was the 25th best in the country.

Yes, Oklahoma's offense was better. They averaged 43 yards and 2 points more a game that Auburn, putting them at 8th.

Auburn' s defense was better by a 5 ppg margin, 22 ypg margin.

So, I would say neither team was clearly better than the other.

Someone mentioned Penn State when regarding depth, and I just want to say that had a hell of defense (10th overall) last year. I doubt there will be another such poor year in Happy Valley this year. They ranked poorly on offense due to a surprising lack of a running game. And since JoePa never airs it out, with no run, there is no offense.

They won;' beat OSu or Michigan, but they won't be 4-7 again. With no Iowa on the schedule and based on graduations, recruiting, and expected starting luneups throughout the Big Ten, I'd be surprised if they lost to Minnesota and Wisconsin (both home games) this year. They also played OSU and Iowa very, very tough. They are still going to be kinda young on offense though. Especially since they lost Mark Rubin for the season. He started 6 games last year and was coming back with another sophmore as the most experienced returning wideouts. (yes, that is how young they are on offense. 2 sophmores at WR).

This year, the Big Ten should be the second best conference in the country. I think its JUST behind the SEC. If Indiana ould just drop football, then it would be the best conference this season. (Northwestern is always at least within striking distance in most of its games. And Illinois should be better). The ACC has slipped just a touch. The Big 12 is being held down by its North division this year. The Pac-10 is a one team conference (although, beware AZ playing spolier. Still not going to turn it around yet, but they are going to screw up some teams. And ASU is returning 8 starters on offense, including their bad-ass WR Derek Hagan and the top 2 rushers. They might actually be better this year), and the Big East, while very balanced (and because of that, the most interesting conference to watch, I think. Lots of tight games this year), is somewhere between a major and a mid major. The MAC and MWC will be fun, as usual.

broncofan303
08-24-2005, 07:27 AM
okay okay...we know in 2004 that the North was weak, but this year they might even be underrated... Besides some blowouts from the South, the North had some of the south teams on the ropes...CU had A&M beat but Purify fumbled going for 1 extra yard in OT, Kansas was up 2 SCORES to Texas...and not to mention the Big 12 North did bring 2 bowl victories home to the conference although it was to Texas El Paso and Miami (OH), but still...you can't keep teams like K-state, Nebraska, and Colorado down too long..no to mention teams like Mizzou, Kansas, and Iowa State turning it on!

kmartin575
08-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Week 1 AP Top 25:
1. USC
2. Texas
3. Tennessee
4. Michigan
5. LSU
6. Ohio State
7. Oklahoma
8. Virginia Tech
9. Miami
10. Florida
11. Iowa
12. Louisville
13. Georgia
14. Florida State
15. Purdue
16. Auburn
17. Texas A&M
18. Boise State
19. California
20. Arizona State
21. Texas Tech
22. Boston College
23. Pittsburgh
24. Fresno State
25. Virginia

I think the Big 12 has to be considered somewhere among the top 3 if not the top 2.

broncofan303
08-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Good point..and did you happen to notice some of the teams that got votes? CU is right up there ;)...the North IS going to be competetive this year...

Shenlong
08-25-2005, 12:19 PM
okay okay...we know in 2004 that the North was weak, but this year they might even be underrated... Besides some blowouts from the South, the North had some of the south teams on the ropes...CU had A&M beat but Purify fumbled going for 1 extra yard in OT, Kansas was up 2 SCORES to Texas...and not to mention the Big 12 North did bring 2 bowl victories home to the conference although it was to Texas El Paso and Miami (OH), but still...you can't keep teams like K-state, Nebraska, and Colorado down too long..no to mention teams like Mizzou, Kansas, and Iowa State turning it on!

I dont buy the that north is weak. Its getting alot of bad hype because there is no clear cut winner to be predicted this year in the north. I think Kstate and Missouri will be the bottom two teams in the north this year, the rest is up for grabs. Kansas and Iowa St are improved. Colorado should be better. Nebraska will be better. The north is pretty much wide open and will be very competitve with teams beating up on each other. I also think you could line up any big 12 north team up against anyone in the nation and theyd be competitive. There are teams out there that they obviously wouldnt beat, but i dont think anyone one North team would get blown out. I think the big 12 is the toughest conference,

broncofan303
08-25-2005, 02:02 PM
I dont buy the that north is weak. Its getting alot of bad hype because there is no clear cut winner to be predicted this year in the north. I think Kstate and Missouri will be the bottom two teams in the north this year, the rest is up for grabs. Kansas and Iowa St are improved. Colorado should be better. Nebraska will be better. The north is pretty much wide open and will be very competitve with teams beating up on each other. I also think you could line up any big 12 north team up against anyone in the nation and theyd be competitive. There are teams out there that they obviously wouldnt beat, but i dont think anyone one North team would get blown out. I think the big 12 is the toughest conference,

Very true..thats the thing you don't know what to expect from the North..they can be VERY competetive or they can be horrible..like I mentioned Kansas against Texas (the same team who beat Michigan) but then again, Colorado vs Oklahoma (National Champ runner-up)

but you're absolutely right, none of those teams are walk-overs..expect a more competitive Big 12 for sure...

thesaint
09-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Can everyone go ahead and admit its still the SEC, NOW?

:D

Buff_bronc_fan
09-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Can everyone go ahead and admit its still the SEC, NOW?

:D

Ok, Right this second it is the SEC. Who can argue with 4 top ten teams? By the end of the year I think it could be the ACC because of teams like Miami and FSU, or Clemson and Georgia Tech who both have good teams. Then the Big 10 & 12 aren't too far behind by any means.

LordOfChaos
09-13-2005, 05:06 AM
Ok, Right this second it is the SEC. Who can argue with 4 top ten teams? By the end of the year I think it could be the ACC because of teams like Miami and FSU, or Clemson and Georgia Tech who both have good teams. Then the Big 10 & 12 aren't too far behind by any means.

right this second???

so when all the top 10 SEC teams play each other, and bump each other out of the top 10 that will make the conference weaker? :confused:

Buff_bronc_fan
09-13-2005, 08:40 AM
right this second???

so when all the top 10 SEC teams play each other, and bump each other out of the top 10 that will make the conference weaker? :confused:

I'm just saying it's early in the year and I'm not sold that all these teams have staying power. And teams knock each other off inside of the conference all year, hence the Florida schools. I'm just saying that at the end of the year we might be singing a different tune, college football has a way of doing that to you. Right now it's the SEC, last week I may have told you it was the Big 10. (Probably not, but there was a case for them)