PDA

View Full Version : PFT-Clarett Wants To Be Cut

Denver724
08-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Another Pro Football Talk exclusive! http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CLARETT WANTS TO BE CUT

As it turns out, T.O. isn't the only guy who might be faking a groin injury.

A league source tells us that Broncos rookie running back Maurice Clarett's groin injury is, in reality, a response by Clarett to the fact that he was stuck at the bottom of the depth chart at tailback.

Mo-Clo's reasoning (tortured as it may be) is that he can't earn the incentives in that stoopid no-bonus contract if he isn't getting touches on Sundays, and that he can't get touches on Sundays in September and beyond if he isn't getting reps with the ones in training camp and preseason.

So his grand plan, per the source, is to cajole the team into cutting him, in the hopes that he'll end up somewhere else . . . as the starter.

If Clarett were to be released, he'd first pass through waivers, giving every team a crack at picking up the rights to his current contract. So in order to get paid beyond his $230,000 salary, he'd have to get to the top of the depth chart in his new town.

But that presumes he'll even get out of Denver. As our own Len Lasagna reported on Thursday, the Broncos eventually will put Clarett on injured reserve, squirreling him away for the 2005 season.

Whether that means Clarett gets a chance to win the starting gig in 2006 remains to be seen. We're hearing that Clarett is even more turdish in camp than the run-of-the-mill Bronco turd-jobs, and our guess is that the team eventually will tire of his routine.

When they do, of course, they'll be acknowledging that Coach Teflon's propensity for finding diamonds in the dregs of the draft had temporarily gone on hiatus when they handed in the card at the last pick in round three with Clarett's name on it.

The Dark Knight
08-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Clarett is a moron.

He seems intent on ruining his career anyway he can.

Snk16
08-12-2005, 07:56 AM
ProFootballTalk always makes things up. And plus it's in the: "RUMORS SECTION" :duh:

muse
08-12-2005, 08:31 AM
"...as our own Len Lasagna reported..."

Emancipator
08-12-2005, 08:39 AM
They are hoping that you will think about Clarett' problems in the past and believe he would do this. Don't fall for that article. Nothing has come out of Denver that says this. His teammates would have elouded to this if it was true. Coaches would have also.

The Dark Knight
08-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Just a question.........Were you one of the guys who was praising Clarett as a team player who has matured and changed his attitude when he signed that incentive laden contract?

No.

Whether the article has any truth in it or not, he's still a moron.

Cugel
08-12-2005, 08:48 AM
ProFootballTalk always makes things up. And plus it's in the: "RUMORS SECTION" :duh:
This doesn't sound like it's made up. :coffee:

If Clarett is really faking his injury in hopes of being cut, then that changes everything.

I think that's exactly what the Broncos will do. Put Clarett on the IR for the season and take another look at him next year. They can't cut him or he'd be claimed off waivers before they could sign him to the practice squad and they can't keep him on the 53 man roster if he's not ready to contribute this season.

If he had any brains at all, he'd realize that this is a chance to learn how to play in the NFL, learn the system, get in top shape, work with the coaches whenever possible, and generally make an impression as a total professional. That sort of word gets around and even if he couldn't make the Broncos he'd wind up with a lucretive offer somewhere else.

Of course, he'll do NONE of that. Instead it appears as though he'll stew in his own juices for a while and demand to be traded, sulk and generally act out, which will end up in his being released next season.

Then he'll act like the NFL owes him a living and be surprised when nobody else jumps at the chance to sign him for $10 million. :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to think my initial reaction, that Clarett was a big mistake was right all along. He hasn't learned a thing from his mistakes.

BroncFanInPA
08-12-2005, 08:50 AM
This clearly belongs in Rumor Mill, with all the other credible scoops.

:coffee:

Emancipator
08-12-2005, 08:52 AM
This needs to go to the rumor mill because that's all this is.

jletourneau
08-12-2005, 09:08 AM
I don't really want to get into the debate about whether this is true or not.

However, ProFootballTalk really jeopardized its credibility with their presentation in articles. They are often vulgar, unprofessional, and they skew most of what they say with unparalelled bias, especially when it comes to the Broncos and Shanahan.

I really believe Shanny and this year's team is going to get the opportunity to prove the media wrong. The Broncos are taking a really bad rap from a lot of reports, as many of you have discussed in other threads already.

But most of the announcers I actually respect, have not sold out the Broncos already. They have questioned the moves, but without judgment on how they will play out. I much prefer the job of those like Chris Mortensen, Tom Jackson, Chris Berman, Steve Young, sometimes Mark Schlereth, Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt, etc. I'm not looking for the media to praise the Broncos, but I at least prefer those who give both the negatives AND the positives when discussing a team. Unlike ProFootballTalk, Len Pasquarelli, Sean Salisbury, Vic Carruci, etc.

Anyway, whether ProFootballTalk has a real lead here or not, I really don't care because of the way they present themselves. They write for effect more than they do for anything else.

I sure hope we see Clarett dispell these rumors, but maybe we won't, maybe he is still the same Maurice Clarett from Ohio St. I'd like to believe he's changed for the better, but only time and carries will tell.

Cugel
08-12-2005, 09:21 AM
I don't really want to get into the debate about whether this is true or not.

However, ProFootballTalk really jeopardized its credibility with their presentation in articles. They are often vulgar, unprofessional, and they skew most of what they say with unparalelled bias, especially when it comes to the Broncos and Shanahan.

I really believe Shanny and this year's team is going to get the opportunity to prove the media wrong. The Broncos are taking a really bad rap from a lot of reports, as many of you have discussed in other threads already.

But most of the announcers I actually respect, have not sold out the Broncos already. They have questioned the moves, but without judgment on how they will play out. I much prefer the job of those like Chris Mortensen, Tom Jackson, Chris Berman, Steve Young, sometimes Mark Schlereth, Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt, etc. I'm not looking for the media to praise the Broncos, but I at least prefer those who give both the negatives AND the positives when discussing a team. Unlike ProFootballTalk, Len Pasquarelli, Sean Salisbury, Vic Carruci, etc.

Anyway, whether ProFootballTalk has a real lead here or not, I really don't care because of the way they present themselves. They write for effect more than they do for anything else.

I sure hope we see Clarett dispell these rumors, but maybe we won't, maybe he is still the same Maurice Clarett from Ohio St. I'd like to believe he's changed for the better, but only time and carries will tell.
I couldn't care less about their bias or whether they kiss Shanahan's behind or not. I just skip right over their ripping the team. The interesting bits is when they quote inside sources to the effect that Clarett is faking his injury (or perhaps exaggerating the seriousness of it) so that he can get released and picked up by another team that wouldn't have 4 RBs ahead of him in the depth chart.

If that is true it paints a very different picture. It also explains the rather testy response of Shanahan in saying "he can't work his way up the depth chart if he's injured." I wondered why he would say that. Shanahan normally doesn't rip his players in public and his company line has been the often repeated "the-depth-chart-isn't-final-at-this-point-and-every-player-will-have-a-chance-to play-and-we'll-see-what-they-can-do."

It sounded to me like Shanahan is a bit miffed at Clarett. This could be why.

As for the Broncos being stupid to draft Clarett, the truth is that a number of teams were preparing to draft him in the 4th round, starting with Dallas 8 picks later. So, if the Broncos haddn't drafted him, he still would have gone in the 4th or 5th round. People saying that the 3rd round was too high forget that it was the LAST pick of the 3rd round.

Bill Parcells is no fool and he's won SBs and been to plenty of Championship games. If he was set to grab him, clearly there was a lot of interest in Clarett. If he doesn't work out that doesn't mean Shanahan was wrong for taking a chance on him. Of all the draft picks I've ripped Shanahan for making, this one you can't really complain.

Jaws
08-12-2005, 09:32 AM
If there is any truth in this then I'd be very disappointed in him. I was one of those who put down his behaviour in the past to immaturity and felt he deserved a second chance. If this rumour proves to be true then this shows that he is a deluded, immature individual living in cloud cuckoo land!

jletourneau
08-12-2005, 09:36 AM
I couldn't care less about their bias or whether they kiss Shanahan's behind or not. I just skip right over their ripping the team. The interesting bits is when they quote inside sources to the effect that Clarett is faking his injury (or perhaps exaggerating the seriousness of it) so that he can get released and picked up by another team that wouldn't have 4 RBs ahead of him in the depth chart.

If that is true it paints a very different picture. It also explains the rather testy response of Shanahan in saying "he can't work his way up the depth chart if he's injured." I wondered why he would say that. Shanahan normally doesn't rip his players in public and his company line has been the often repeated "the-depth-chart-isn't-final-at-this-point-and-every-player-will-have-a-chance-to play-and-we'll-see-what-they-can-do."

It sounded to me like Shanahan is a bit miffed at Clarett. This could be why.

As for the Broncos being stupid to draft Clarett, the truth is that a number of teams were preparing to draft him in the 4th round, starting with Dallas 8 picks later. So, if the Broncos haddn't drafted him, he still would have gone in the 4th or 5th round. People saying that the 3rd round was too high forget that it was the LAST pick of the 3rd round.

Bill Parcells is no fool and he's won SBs and been to plenty of Championship games. If he was set to grab him, clearly there was a lot of interest in Clarett. If he doesn't work out that doesn't mean Shanahan was wrong for taking a chance on him. Of all the draft picks I've ripped Shanahan for making, this one you can't really complain.

I agree, I just didn't really want to get into the things the article says until I hear similar info. from a source who handles themselves with a little more professionalism. PFT's source inside the Broncos might be right, and Shanny probably is pissed at Clarett right now, but the story and info is still tainted to me to an extent because of the crap PFT surrounds it with.

They may have good sources, but they might exaggerate those sources as well. I don't care about the bias or ripping the way they do it, but the way they do it shows me that PFT can't always be trusted for being fully accurate or responsible with their reporting. The crap parts just wipe out their credibility to me in what would be an interesting lead if it was presented in a different way.

LiquidBlue
08-12-2005, 09:54 AM
If he wanted to be cut, why did he sign that contract with us. He wants to work for his money.

Plus, who is Len Lasagna. Seriously.

Oh yea. Put this in the Rumor Mill.

Mount-n-Groan
08-12-2005, 09:57 AM
No they don't.

I wouldn't say that PFT always makes things up either, but they do often choose wording that's leading. I have seen times where they retract/reword a previous story after the report causes a raucous in some front office somewhere; just to clarify the ambiguous nature of the points that they so innocently reported as fact.

A few times I have emailed them regarding inaccuracies (usually involving stats). They do this to make their play on words more fitting and witty. Surprisingly, every time I email them I get a reply (from Florio's email address) that essentially says "Thanks, but no thanks, now get back to your life of unfulfilled dreams." That's disturbing to me because it tells me that they're not necessarily in this to report the truth (especially since they never correct their "goof"). They may have contacts galore and an inside track to information (and rumors) that most of us don't, but make no doubt about it; they're in this to get read - and it's working.

Even though they seem to have a big stiffy for slamming Shanny and the Broncos I still read it every day. For the most part their piece is informative and funny as hell.

Javalon
08-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Another Pro Football Talk exclusive! http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CLARETT WANTS TO BE CUT

As it turns out, T.O. isn't the only guy who might be faking a groin injury.

A league source tells us that Broncos rookie running back Maurice Clarett's groin injury is, in reality, a response by Clarett to the fact that he was stuck at the bottom of the depth chart at tailback.

Mo-Clo's reasoning (tortured as it may be) is that he can't earn the incentives in that stoopid no-bonus contract if he isn't getting touches on Sundays, and that he can't get touches on Sundays in September and beyond if he isn't getting reps with the ones in training camp and preseason.

So his grand plan, per the source, is to cajole the team into cutting him, in the hopes that he'll end up somewhere else . . . as the starter.

If Clarett were to be released, he'd first pass through waivers, giving every team a crack at picking up the rights to his current contract. So in order to get paid beyond his $230,000 salary, he'd have to get to the top of the depth chart in his new town.

But that presumes he'll even get out of Denver. As our own Len Lasagna reported on Thursday, the Broncos eventually will put Clarett on injured reserve, squirreling him away for the 2005 season.

Whether that means Clarett gets a chance to win the starting gig in 2006 remains to be seen. We're hearing that Clarett is even more turdish in camp than the run-of-the-mill Bronco turd-jobs, and our guess is that the team eventually will tire of his routine.

When they do, of course, they'll be acknowledging that Coach Teflon's propensity for finding diamonds in the dregs of the draft had temporarily gone on hiatus when they handed in the card at the last pick in round three with Clarett's name on it.
So, is Clarett just blabbing his supposed plan to people? Did he actually tell this "source" that he was faking his injury because he was at the bottom of the depth chart and wanted to get cut?

Or is this just somebody making up a bunch of crap to keep people reading their columns? :confused:

I have never been a fan of Clarett and was not exactly thrilled when we drafted him. But this story seems unlikely and I really hope the PFW isn't so lame as to be making up stories like this.

Broncs Bomber
08-12-2005, 10:01 AM
"...as our own Len Lasagna reported..."

Didn't I used to knock this guy out in the old "Punch-Out" video game?

Mount-n-Groan
08-12-2005, 10:16 AM
As all credible media people do.

Perhaps, but then they shouldn't have a problem correcting stat goofs either, right? They won't because if they did (in these cases) then their "link lines" would lose their luster, wouldn't make sense, and most importantly, wouldn't be funny!

Here's more (from their site & dictionany.com) and then I'll drop it...

"Our Daily Rumor Mill has become a fixture for most (if not all) NFL front offices. Why? Because we bring you some of the best back-room rumors available anywhere...

We're the first to admit that we don't always adhere to pure journalistic standards. We don't seek reactions from players, coaches, and/or agents before posting controversial stories. However, we'll give anyone who objects to one of our stories an opportunity to respond. And we won't run anything that we know or have reason to know is untrue.

rumor
1. A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
2. Unverified information received from another; hearsay.
3. Gossip (usually a mixture of truth and untruth) passed around by word of mouth

:coffee:

LiquidBlue
08-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Rep for MNG.

LiquidBlue
08-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Besides, if this were true, it would be basically like Jason White ending his career before it even started.

jletourneau
08-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Untrue. When a media outlet prints things you don't like, it doesn't prove that they have a bias against your favorite team.

You must be misunderstanding me, I am not saying that have a bias because they print things I don't like, I am simply pointing out that PFT is very unprofessional in the way they present things, anything, about the Broncos or someone else, and this is what takes away their credibility.

The language, phrases, etc. that they use, take away from what could turn into an accurate story. If you read their articles, they reek of informed rants a lot more than they do of responsible journalism. Informed rants are okay on a message board or something, but they shoudn't use them if they are trying to be contributing journalists.

My point isn't about the Broncos or this Clarett thing at all, my point is that I can't take this story seriously enough because I never know whether to trust PFT because they don't always write in a very professional manner. They can think whatever they want about the Broncos. But they do allow a lot of bias to shape the point they are trying to prove.

PFT can say whatever they want about the Broncos or any other team, but they should be accurate, to the point, and professional when they do so, if so, then I have no problem with the story.

buckeyefan
08-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi,

I'm new (posted on an earlier thread about Clarett). I suspect the story is false. I think people really have a distorted perception of Clarett. The kid finished HS early to participate in OSU's spring practice (before his "freshman" season), 1st true freshman TB starter in OSU history, ran all over Michigan while nursing a stinger in the shoulder (sign of dedication to the team), and ran down and stripped the ball from Sean Taylor (no less, a future big-time NFL safety) in the championship game. I suspect the groin injury is just that, an injury brought on by getting his body back into football shape. I think his new agent/lawyers have been the most upfront and helpful to him since the entire episode at OSU started. Please, remember OSU is a football factory and is the lifeblood of Columbus. The program had to cover itself and I suspect Shanahan and other NFL executives quitely pursued the details (stuff that ESPN and other media outlets don't have access to)and I suspect Tressel gave Clarett a stellar recommendation on his work ethic. When Clarett arrived and played he electrified the entire town and legions of Buckeye nation....The kid wants to play football, simple as that.

I just say give the kid a chance and hold off from forming an opinion until after a few preseason games. I doubt the Broncos have already made a decision after a few practices.

:beer:

Mount-n-Groan
08-12-2005, 11:52 AM
The media rarely, if ever, make a stat goof. The stats used by the media are gathered by those who's job it is to gather stats. Stats are officially posted by the NFL. If the media reports a bad stat as gathered by the NFL statistician, is that the media's fault?

<sigh>

Case in point (just one example)

Posted on ProFootballTalk.com on 6/2/05
http://www.profootballtalk.com/6-1-05through6-8-05.htm

Here’s the original...
"WR Jerry Rice wore No. 19 in his first practice with the Broncos, which also is the number of seasons he has played in the NFL (and the number of tantrums he threw last year)."

Well, of course, everybody knows (or should know) that Rice has played 20 seasons in the NFL. Did they know this? I’m assuming they did. They could have easily said that he threw 20 tantrums last year (even if he did only throw 19), but they couldn’t say that because WR’s can’t wear #20 in the NFL and their little dig at Rice wouldn’t have made sense (or been as funny).

I guess this might be one of those “rare” exceptions, but I highly doubt it. It was more important for them to make a funny than it was to CORRECTLY state that Rice has played 20 seasons in the NFL.

If you followed the link then you’ll see that they did change it (unbeknownst to me until now); and probably done so as a result of my email…

“WR Jerry Rice wore No. 19 in his first practice with the Broncos, which is one digit less than the number of seasons he has played in the NFL (and five digits less than number of tantrums he threw last year).”

Doesn’t have the same ring to it, IMO. They must have also acquired better info (stats, if you will) on the number of tantrums that he threw as well…

:rolleyes:

jletourneau
08-12-2005, 11:54 AM
"Clarett is even more turdish in camp than the run-of-the-mill Bronco turd-jobs"

Tell me, does this sound like professional journalism, or someone who is credible. They use comparisons and phrases like this often.

If they are reporting about Clarett, and referring to his contract, it makes no difference that they think it was "stoopid" as they said, exact spelling. It only matters that the contract is affecting and being affected by the situation.

They ask on their main page "Want to see if your team is going to suck again?"

"If Drew were my agent, I'd be wondering why he's sucking this guy's ass." Quote or not, it's an unprofessional statement to quote directly in this way.

"(but we'll acknowledge that we were the ones who started it back in our "maybe if we piss as many people off as possible we'll get noticed" phase) to give us credit for a couple of recent Eagles-related reports. (Editor's note: We'll also acknowledge that the "phase" to which we referred really hasn't completely, you know, ended.)" Another very mature statement.

"and rather than outright releasing him with an injury settlement they will put him on IR with the comments like "we look forward to getting him back next year, he has potential, blah, blah" rather than the more accurate "we're fu--in' numbskulls for taking this turd at all." This is another example of unprofessional reporting.

Then they go on to refer to Clarett as having an MRI on his junk area. I only have to spend about 5 minutes on the site in stories from the last 24 hours to dig up the fact they are consistently unprofessional and vulgar.

They may get a good number of stories right, but they sure don't present themselves well as a trustworthy source.

Cugel
08-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Why do you waste time talking about PFT? Who cares about them?

First of all, I read today that the Broncos might only have 3 RB on the 53 man roster. I can't believe this but it's in the Post today: "With rookie Maurice Clarett home nursing a groin injury in Dove Valley, the primary competition may be between Ron Dayne and Quentin Griffin for the third running back. The loser may get cut."

If so, then either Clarett spends the season on the IR or he's cut. Period. Because NO WAY can he become the 3rd back. Right now he's 5th and I would certainly not keep him ahead of both Dayne and Q. Dayne has more experience and has had a better camp and Q is a different style RB.

Secondly, it makes perfect sense to Clarett if he senses he isn't going to make the team to be released as soon as possible, so he can hope to get signed by a team that maybe has an injury at RB and have a chance at a starter job or at least #2 back.

It's immature to nurse an injury in the hopes of getting cut, but that's Clarett.

Third, have you considered that it's even worse if it's totally false? That source had to be some assistant coach or someone on the inside of the Broncos who is reflecting the opinion of Broncos coaches. Clearly Shanahan is unhappy with Clarett and the rumor has been that he hasn't been a hit at camp with his work ethic. What if Clarett is really hurt but the coaches are down on him and think he's just dogging it? That makes the situation even uglier than if he's pouting.

Skywalker
08-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Clarett would never give up his chance with the Broncos.....

no wonder this is a "rumor"

LiquidBlue
08-12-2005, 02:58 PM
The guy who runs that site is a complete moron. I talked to him on AIM and he kept avoiding his stupidity in his articles, always had a come-back.

Mount-n-Groan
08-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Why do you waste time talking about PFT? Who cares about them?

First of all, I read today that the Broncos might only have 3 RB on the 53 man roster. I can't believe this but it's in the Post today: "With rookie Maurice Clarett home nursing a groin injury in Dove Valley, the primary competition may be between Ron Dayne and Quentin Griffin for the third running back. The loser may get cut."

Interesting. I just can't see us only keeping 3 RB's on the final roster. I suppose it's possible, but has Shanny ever done that before?

Looking at that quote another way could lead one to believe that Clarett will make the roster for all the oft-stated reasons (potential, price, won't waste a 3rd rounder pick, won't admit to wasting a 3rd round pick, won't clear waivers for the PS, etc., etc.) and, as the article states, the competition for the 3rd RB will decide who gets cut. Klis never mentions anything about Clarett getting cut or the Broncos only keeping 3 RB's. The implication, here and elsewhere, is that if he makes the team he'll be the last RB on the list no matter how many we keep.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. The IR scenario seems possible, but so does the situation where Clarett wants out. I'm clueless, really....

BTW - slap me up side the head the next time I get sucked in to arguing the merits of some publication. You're right; it really is a waste of time. :heh:

RoorRipper
08-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Thats a fake, rumor filled website. Clarrett would NEVER do this. Trust me.

PsychoChicken
08-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Thats a fake, rumor filled website. Clarrett would NEVER do this. Trust me.
I don't trust you. Have you met him? Do you know him personally? Pro Football Talk, despite their bias, is a very accurate site. I wouldn't say it's 100% true, but I believe it.

LiquidBlue
08-12-2005, 08:58 PM
I don't. It's garbage. The guy who runs the site has no class in AIM. If you run a site at least have some class when you talk to people. He swore like every other minute.

LiquidBlue
08-13-2005, 12:45 AM
It was obviously worth a heap load of the,

S word
A word
F word
D word
J word
M word
B word
K word

Some of you might not know some of them...nor do I, which proves what a moron he is. Nothing but swear words. Believe it or not I actually don't swear that much in AIM, this guy...wow.

Captain Kirk
08-22-2005, 06:31 AM
This doesn't sound like it's made up. :coffee:

What Part of this story makes it Sound like it is made up or not? Personally I don't believe it but was wondering what made it sound likt that to you?