PDA

View Full Version : Is he or isn't he?

Bronco74
11-24-2003, 10:00 PM
First Time User, Long Time Rabid Fan
This is my first post although I've visited the MB many times since I live in San Diego by default but bleed Bronco orange & blue by choice. I'm still in pain over the loss yesterday and trying to figure out what is going on with my Broncos. The local paper sports section today has a big picture of Mike Shanahan in the Who's Hot / Who's Not section (he's not) with a quote "No way the Broncos lose to the Bears in Denver. Time to pack your bags, sir." Any comments?

Orange&Blue
11-24-2003, 10:02 PM
Even though I don't know Shanahan personally, I'd really be shocked if he actually said something that reckless, especially since he doesn't seem to like smack talk from his own players.

Elway
11-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Lost time fan, long time poster. Mike should be okay.
Elam screwed up a kick, Knorr another, Ed dropped a pass in the End Zone, Lelei missed a deep pass, so did Rod. He had the plays there, the guys on the field didn't capitalize. They wasted a great effort by Portis. The defense also let Kordell go on a 8 1/2 minute drive. Two pass interferences. The play on the field was pathetic, not the coaching plan.

Bronco74
11-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Sorry, I must not have made myself clear - Shanahan didn't say that, one of the sportswriters said it about Shanahan. I think his play calling has been suspect for the last several games.

Bronco74
11-24-2003, 10:13 PM
I'll give you that, the team made a lot of mistakes yesterday, there were too many "if onlys". . .but I think the bottom line is always the play calling and that falls on the coach.

Orange&Blue
11-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Bronco74
Sorry, I must not have made myself clear - Shanahan didn't say that, one of the sportswriters said it about Shanahan. I think his play calling has been suspect for the last several games.

Oops. Well, it's like Elway said. There were plenty of mental mistakes. Even if we had had the perfect game plan, the way we played yesterday would have ruined it. Sloppy execution will ruin any game plan regardless of if it's good or bad.

Javalon
11-24-2003, 10:17 PM
First Time User, Long Time Rabid Fan
This is my first post although I've visited the MB many times since I live in San Diego by default but bleed Bronco orange & blue by choice. I'm still in pain over the loss yesterday and trying to figure out what is going on with my Broncos. The local paper sports section today has a big picture of Mike Shanahan in the Who's Hot / Who's Not section (he's not) with a quote "No way the Broncos lose to the Bears in Denver. Time to pack your bags, sir." Any comments?

First, welcome to the message board.

Second, if the paper was saying that Shanny needed to leave, they must be suggesting something they know is not going to happen. Pat Bowlen just gave Shanahan a nice, rich extension to his contract. There is no way he'd turn around and fire Mike right after doing that.

I personally like Mike Shanahan and I think the only major mistake he's made since he's been here was putting the Broncos in the hands of Brian Griese for four years. He's made a number of smaller mistakes in personnel (Dale Carter, Deltha Oneal, Middlebrooks...hmm, I sense a cornerback trend) and various bad calls during games here or there, but all coaches do. If the Broncos don't get to and win at least one playoff game either this season or next, I might change my mind. In the meantime, I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt in his ability to get back on track post-Griese.

(BTW, even though I rag on Griese quite a bit, I actually thought he was a decent QB but he was a bad fit for the Broncos. Although he has still looked bad in Miami so I'm beginning to doubt he's really as decent as I thought he was.)

Bronco74
11-24-2003, 10:25 PM
I personally like Mike Shanahan and I think the only major mistake he's made since he's been here was putting the Broncos in the hands of Brian Griese for four years. He's made a number of smaller mistakes in personnel (Dale Carter, Deltha Oneal, Middlebrooks...hmm, I sense a cornerback trend) and various bad calls during games here or there, but all coaches do. If the Broncos don't get to and win at least one playoff game either this season or next, I might change my mind. In the meantime, I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt in his ability to get back on track post-Griese.

Well, that's four and a half years of giving him the benefit of the doubt, how long are you willing to hang in there? Having said that, I don't know that there are any other decent, available coaches out there who could replace him - so what's a girl to do???
:D

Orange&Blue
11-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Yeah, welcome to the boards Bronco74.

Also, about Mike's play calling, even though I would've liked to have seen more running plays, I trust Shanahan to call the plays better than I trust myself.

Javalon
11-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Well, that's four and a half years of giving him the benefit of the doubt, how long are you willing to hang in there? Having said that, I don't know that there are any other decent, available coaches out there who could replace him - so what's a girl to do???
:D
Like I said, I'm personally giving Mike a mulligan on the Griese years. Not that my opinion effects the situation ;) but I'll give him until the end of next season, Plummer's second in this offense, before I start to question whether he should still be here.

I'm still holding out hope for this season, though. The Bears game sucked but it only put us one game behind the Dolphins and we have the tie-breaker edge if it comes down to the two of us.

Bronco74
11-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Like I said, I'm personally giving Mike a mulligan on the Griese years. Not that my opinion effects the situation but I'll give him until the end of next season, Plummer's second in this offense, before I start to question whether he should still be here.

OK, you've won me over on this argument, I'll give Shanahan this one mulligan since he is an oldtimer, but I'm still in a quandry as to what the Broncos need to do to get back on the winning track. Even though the injuries/suspensions have devastated the team they should still be able to win against the teams they are playing - and what's up with Elam and his lack of production this year? I think he's missed more kicks than I've ever seen from him in all his combined years as a Bronco. I heard that he is feeling underappreciated and it's contract negotiation time for him, shouldn't he be trying to score as much as possible instead of being "injured" and missing gimmee kicks? After all it's what he's paid to do!!

mattos
11-24-2003, 10:53 PM
and what's up with Elam and his lack of production this year?

isn't he kind of injured?

Javalon
11-24-2003, 10:56 PM
OK, you've won me over on this argument, I'll give Shanahan this one mulligan since he is an oldtimer, but I'm still in a quandry as to what the Broncos need to do to get back on the winning track. Even though the injuries/suspensions have devastated the team they should still be able to win against the teams they are playing - and what's up with Elam and his lack of production this year? I think he's missed more kicks than I've ever seen from him in all his combined years as a Bronco. I heard that he is feeling underappreciated and it's contract negotiation time for him, shouldn't he be trying to score as much as possible instead of being "injured" and missing gimmee kicks? After all it's what he's paid to do!!

Actually, that was last season that he was playing for a contract. And he got a very nice one. Elam was actually doing pretty well until the Patriots game when he strained his groin. He's 21 of 25 for the season; 3 of his 4 misses have come since he hurt himself in that game. I'm hoping it's just injury related and he'll get back on track the healthier he gets.

As far as what to do to get back on track, your guess is as good as mine. If the players would stop dropping like flies, that would be extremely helpful. And if one of the receivers other than Rod Smith would start making big catches, that wouldn't hurt either. The defense has held up well despite the injury plague at linebacker but they're not creating turnovers. It's really a strange season.

Bronco74
11-24-2003, 11:08 PM
[i] Originally posted by Javalon/[i] As far as what to do to get back on track, your guess is as good as mine. If the players would stop dropping like flies, that would be extremely helpful. And if one of the receivers other than Rod Smith would start making big catches, that wouldn't hurt either. The defense has held up well despite the injury plague at linebacker but they're not creating turnovers. It's really a strange season.

Amen to that - I guess it's just the luck of the draw and we've had many more seasons where we didn't have the injury problem so I guess it's payback time and you know what they say about paybacks! I'll still be tuning in to my Direct TV NFL to watch them each and every Sunday and hoping they can overcome whatever problems crop up. And with that said I'll be logging off for tonight, thanks for the warm welcome Javalon and Orange & Blue.

Chris
11-25-2003, 03:35 AM
welcome 74 ;)