PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Portis

DarkLiger1
11-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Clinton Portis was on fire VS. The Faders 34 carries 170 yards and 2 TDs? Excellent day by any standards.The Chiefs better be watchin themselves next week otherwise i see another 100+ yard day for The greatest running back in football today Clinton Portis.

neisha26
11-30-2003, 11:28 PM
i think they better watch out to because clinton is on fire. oops what's that? oh it's only CP on fire. the cheifs won't be able to touch him come sunday

the1stbronco
12-01-2003, 09:58 AM
Portis is a Beast!!

Broncofan-13
12-01-2003, 09:59 AM
lol we already knew that.

BroncoCy
12-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Beast doesn't sound so good...I'd say more like a stud.

LLChiefsFan
12-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Portis is good but unfortunately it only goes to show Denvers weakness, its passing offense. As long as Portis stays healthy Denver will do good but I am afraid that Denver is going back to being one dimensional like in the Elway years. Those teams where passing oriented and not until they got a true running game did they win their SB. Now they have a running game but no real passing game. No matter what everyone says about Plummer he still does not put the fear in opposing defenses. He didnít in Arizona and he doesnít now. Plus you have WRs that are getting long in the tooth, and again unfortunately for you Lelie cant catch a cold. Sharpe maybe has 1 more year; McCaffrey is probably gone at the end of this year unless they keep him on for sentimental value like they did with Davis. Give Smith maybe another 3-4 more years (if they can get another receiver in to take the heat off of him) so if Denver doesnít do it next year their window will be cut drastically in 2005.

With that said does Portis being a beast or stud make Jamal Lewis a super beast or super stud?

AsianOrange
12-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Well...why throw when you can run? I don't understand why Randy Cross yesterday was all over Denver's recieving core...we got Mccaffery, Smith, Sharpe and Lelie....a combination of 8 Super Bowl rings! I mean, I know they are getting older...I can't see how Jake is the problem ALRHOUGH taking a page out of KC's past....it took Trent Green 3 years to learn the Cheif offense and the philosophy. He's been with Vermil since what....1999?

So if Jake is the problem, let's give him a few more years...but I doubt he is the problem.

broncosfan247
12-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Plus you have WRs that are getting long in the tooth, and again unfortunately for you Lelie cant catch a cold. Sharpe maybe has 1 more year; McCaffrey is probably gone at the end of this year unless they keep him on for sentimental value like they did with Davis. Give Smith maybe another 3-4 more years (if they can get another receiver in to take the heat off of him) so if Denver doesnít do it next year their window will be cut drastically in 2005.

Yep, the Chiefs WR core really scares me.....not! You really don't think your arguement holds water do you? Don't come onto a Bronco forum and think you actually know what your talking about when you actually don't! Sorry, but if I had to pick a team that will have troubles in 2-3 years I'd pick the Chefs. Morton has probably 2-3 years left and he's not really that good. You have Kennison, a throw away that has played on almost as many teams as years he's been in the league. Hall...who must have some problems being he's nothing but 3rd string on offense. And a HB that I give maybe 2 years before he starts having serious injury problems. And for Gonzalez....he's going to be in the NBA with Terrell Owens in 2 years. HAHA!

As for Portis, i've been waiting for them to do what they did this past Sunday all year long. I just haven't understood why Mikey always rushes to the passing game so quickly when we have a MVP caliber stud in Portis. I would be rushing him 25-30 times a game, and when he gets tired, stick Anderson in their to back him up. This not only uses the clock more, it also wears out the defenses so much, that come 4th quarter if we need to we can go to the air for the big games. Don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think we should keep it simple. Because for some reason when we try the trickery, we seem to only trick ourselves.

pikman
12-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Portis is a horse, until Sunday against the Raiders he has been under utilized.
When he is running like that it opens up the play action and, contrary to what I've been reading today, Jake has three proven, reliable targets to hit downfield.
I hope Shannahan and Kubiak learned from yesterday...ride Portis for all he is worth and the chances of finishing 11-5 or 10-6 are pretty good.
Use him for only one half and the playoffs are bye-bye.

Plus isn't Anderson back after the Chiefs game? Another excellent addition. Stoned or not.

Chris
12-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Our WRs need to click and have a big day collectively next week. Everyone needs to play well.

BarrelMan4Ever
12-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by pikman
Plus isn't Anderson back after the Chiefs game? Another excellent addition. Stoned or not.

that's harsh

Mount-n-Groan
12-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Essentially, we have a rookie QB. Of course, I'm not saying that Jake is a rookie, but this is his first year in a new system. Jake coming from Arizona to Denver and learning this system is like someone just learning how to subtract and then taking calculus. The passing game will come around and it may be next year when it does. But when it does, look out... you Chiefs fans should just sit back and enjoy your time on the top of the AFC West because it won't last long.

WinFirst
12-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by LLChiefsFan
Portis is good but unfortunately it only goes to show Denvers weakness, its passing offense. As long as Portis stays healthy Denver will do good but I am afraid that Denver is going back to being one dimensional like in the Elway years. Those teams where passing oriented and not until they got a true running game did they win their SB. Now they have a running game but no real passing game.

This is way off base. Please remember, Plummer was hurt for four games this year. He has an 89.9 passer rating and 13 TD's!! To put that in perspective, TG has 19 TD passes in 12 games in the AFC's third best passing offense.

And please, don't hold Arizona against the Snake. Turns out AZ is not a good football team. This is the classic Troy Aikman case study. Some QB's are made for certain situations & some are not.

P.S - Portis is not good, he is great. Your sense of good and great has been skewed because of Priest Holmes.

Return of Lava
12-01-2003, 04:05 PM
theree is nothing wrong with our offense, we just have to stay focused and we could have the best offense in the league. we need to execute better its not like we have sorry or even mediocre players. our players are very good. we just have to bring it together again. when we are clicking, we can put up 460 yards and 30+points against anybody. especially the chiefs

Jared
12-01-2003, 04:07 PM
You guys have probably added more posts to your stats talking to each other than anyone else.

Maybe I should start a "Horseface Vs. RTOL" thread?

Spectator flame wars?

New sport?

LOL

Just observing.

Return of Lava
12-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by horseface
do you honestly think Sharpe and Eddie Mac will be around much longer? You'll have Smith and "sure hands" Lelie next year as 1 and 2...how can the passing game come around when you'll have 2 new guys out there next year trying to fill some big shoes. The chiefs have just begun their West Dominance. The groundwork has been laid...the best is yet to come. 2 new guys? Carswell and lelie? lelie he just needs reps, and carswell is already proven, he went to the probowl in shapre's place while he was in batimore

NameUsedBefore
12-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Yes I too say we just hand it off to Portis more often.

Early in the year we did this and it opened up the playbook but we sorta cut it out for some reason and lost a few games I think we would've won if we just kept running the ball. There's one reason the Chiefs wont make it to the Superbowl and that is their defense. You'll come across a great passer and he will pick you apart.

pikman
12-01-2003, 04:19 PM
as I said...Lelie will be #2 next year...who will be the new #3????
And Carswell is decent...but he can't take Sharpe's place. Denver wouldn't have gone out of their way to bring him back if Carswell was the future.

There sure are a lot of people writing off easy ed. Next year Lelie will still be number 3. As for replacing Sharpe, well...that's like replacing Elway. Feel sorry for whoever has to fill those sneakers.
I say draft a good young Tight End.

Boy how'd that sound?

pikman
12-01-2003, 04:22 PM
come on bud....Ed is freaking done...he was done 2 years ago. I feel like I'm watching Patrick Ewing in his last few years out there when I watch Ed still try to make the big plays. He was a great player...but he is DONE. Lelie will be #2 next year...it's time to face the music on that one.

Maybe I just don't want Lelie moving up, and I can't face it. :)

CPcpCPcp
12-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Yes Yes Yes! Clinton Portis is the best! Yes Yes Yes! Next week he's gonna crush the chiefs chest. YES YES YEESSSSSSSSs!!!!

Return of Lava
12-01-2003, 04:25 PM
as I said...Lelie will be #2 next year...who will be the new #3????
And Carswell is decent...but he can't take Sharpe's place. Denver wouldn't have gone out of their way to bring him back if Carswell was the future. i wouldnt expect you to know this, but before the season started, the broncos had about 7 Receivers to choose from , all contributors potentially. most likely, adrian madise will take the #3 spot with his precise cuts in route running, but we still have haygood, cole, and a couple others. jeb putzier is the future todd heap. sharpe has trained both of them and putzier wll get his chance sooner or later. like i said i wouldnt expect you to know that but just know, we have capable backups already.

Return of Lava
12-01-2003, 04:39 PM
jeb putzier is the future todd heap...wow...that's classic. I'm sure all of those receivers have potential...but Lelie beat them all out and look at how great he's turned out. We won't know crap about them untill they actually play some games. did you even KNOW todd heap before he met shannon sharpe?

chickennob2
12-01-2003, 04:42 PM
evry1 needs to lay off lelie. Sure his name sounds like a woman. and sure lately he's played like a woman. But many GREAT players suffer thru the sophomore jinx. Rod wsn't even immune to it. Lelie was still way too young to be thrust into the #2 spot like that. I think Sharpe and EddyMac (our two biggest big play recievers) are gonna teach lelie to catch the ball. And hey, if this doesn't work out i think he has the pure speed to be the next Dante Hall. We'll call him "The Human... Keyboard?"

Return of Lava
12-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by chickennob2
evry1 needs to lay off lelie. Sure his name sounds like a woman. and sure lately he's played like a woman. But many GREAT players suffer thru the sophomore jinx. Rod wsn't even immune to it. Lelie was still way too young to be thrust into the #2 spot like that. I think Sharpe and EddyMac (our two biggest big play recievers) are gonna teach lelie to catch the ball. And hey, if this doesn't work out i think he has the pure speed to be the next Dante Hall. We'll call him "The Human... Keyboard?" i like that avatar homie!

broncos4ever
12-01-2003, 04:46 PM
do you honestly think Sharpe and Eddie Mac will be around much longer? You'll have Smith and "sure hands" Lelie next year as 1 and 2...how can the passing game come around when you'll have 2 new guys out there next year trying to fill some big shoes. The chiefs have just begun their West Dominance. The groundwork has been laid...the best is yet to come.

West Dominance -- Give me a break. Win a Superbowl and a couple AFC Conference games and then talk about Dominance. All the Chiefs have proved at this time is they can beat a "injury riddled" Bronco team, a penalty and old Raider team, and a "hapless" Charger team. Win over Tennessee, Miami, Indianapolis in the Playoffs then I might give you more respect.

West Dominance - What are you thinking??? One Season does not spell dominance.

Forever_Elway
12-01-2003, 10:32 PM
come on bud....Ed is freaking done...he was done 2 years ago. I feel like I'm watching Patrick Ewing in his last few years out there when I watch Ed still try to make the big plays. He was a great player...but he is DONE. Lelie will be #2 next year...it's time to face the music on that one.
you need to lay off Eddy Mac. he's still a good player...not as good as he used to be but still good enough to be on a team. he still makes plays, gets 1st downs, and gets the ball down the field. that's all we need from him and as long as he is able to do that then he is just as good as any other reciever out there IMO

Mount-n-Groan
12-02-2003, 10:03 AM
do you honestly think Sharpe and Eddie Mac will be around much longer? You'll have Smith and "sure hands" Lelie next year as 1 and 2...how can the passing game come around when you'll have 2 new guys out there next year trying to fill some big shoes. The chiefs have just begun their West Dominance. The groundwork has been laid...the best is yet to come.

I didn't say that I thought Sharpe and E-Mac would be around much longer. Lelie will come around and there are a few up and coming youngsters that look interesting (Rice, Madise). Oh... and don't forget about Deltha... (hehee). PS: those shoes aren't too big this year.

West Dominance??? Don't make me laugh. At least you'll have some room for improvement next year with your 26th ranked defense.

There's this new thing in the NFL; it's called parity. Here's a little something from ESPN SportsNation.

4) How would you describe the 11-1 Kansas City Chiefs?

50.4% 11-1 this year, but could easily be .500 next year
36.0% A good team that is benefitting from parity
13.5% A great team :cheeky:

AsianOrange
12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
I read an article that O'Neal doesn't know what the other recivers are doing! So I think they are giving him routes to run but not knowing what direction that line is moving or which players to block?

broncos4ever
12-02-2003, 10:13 AM
that's why I said it's "just begun"...I wasn't talking about the past...
I expect more comprehension out of you b4e...you're usually better than that.

O.K. I misread the post. Just begun... Maybe we'll see. I guess the KC vs. Broncos has got to me this week. I am already fired up.