PDA

View Full Version : Josh Betts

RunYouOver
09-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Most of you probably haven't heard of the Miami of Ohio QB Josh Betts. I watched him play on ESPN2 the other night vs Cincy, as Miami of Ohio beat Cincy. He's been having a really good season so far, 1250+ yds, 9 tds, and 3 ints thus far. He also had a good season last year. The last QB from Miami University (OH) who is now in the nfl, Ben roethlisberger, and I remember watching him play for Miami.
I wonder if Betts too can have a good career in the NFL?

He's a senior this year, and I think we oughta consider him as a late round pick...could be a nice steal :beer:

Or if not him, Chris Leak should always do well here :D

Skywalker
09-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Most of you probably haven't heard of the Miami of Ohio QB Josh Betts. I watched him play on ESPN2 the other night vs Cincy, as Miami of Ohio beat Cincy. He's been having a really good season so far, 1250+ yds, 9 tds, and 3 ints thus far. He also had a good season last year. The last QB from Miami University (OH) who is now in the nfl, Ben roethlisberger, and I remember watching him play for Miami.
I wonder if Betts too can have a good career in the NFL?

He's a senior this year, and I think we oughta consider him as a late round pick...could be a nice steal :beer:

Or if not him, Chris Leak should always do well here :D

I've never really watched Josh Betts...

I think we should consider Darrell Hackney, from UAB.

MileHighSpirit
09-29-2005, 07:30 PM
If we are going to take a QB, I personally like Bruce Gradkowski from Toledo. He has all the mobility we love in Denver and has been touted for his pinpoint accuracy and good TD/INT ratio.

Here's Bruce (http://condraft.com/player.php?id=191).

PsychoChicken
09-29-2005, 07:55 PM
My guy is Jay Cutler, but I believe that after this season, he'll be slated as a third round pick if not higher. So far as late round sleepers go, I like Brodie Croyle of Alabama. He was a heavily-touted recruit but has not fulfilled expectations due to injuries. I like the fact that he's got a strong arm, rarely throws picks, is able to look off safeties, and has strong pocket presence.

Still, I'd prefer either Jay Cutler or a veteran free agent to compete for the #2 role next year.

OhNoKoolAid
09-30-2005, 07:10 PM
My guy is Jay Cutler, but I believe that after this season, he'll be slated as a third round pick if not higher. So far as late round sleepers go, I like Brodie Croyle of Alabama. He was a heavily-touted recruit but has not fulfilled expectations due to injuries. I like the fact that he's got a strong arm, rarely throws picks, is able to look off safeties, and has strong pocket presence.

Still, I'd prefer either Jay Cutler or a veteran free agent to compete for the #2 role next year.

Have you been reading my mind...

I posted a lengthy bit on Cutler a few weeks back and still stand by him as my major sleeper and cult favorite. his accuracy is solid in the intermediate game, and he throws a tight catchable ball. He also is a tremendous leader with enough mobility to evade the rush and pick up first downs if needed. A developmental guy that needs a year to learn, but could start in this league and be a pre-injury Chad Pennington.

I'm not as high on Croyle. He's rail thin and can't take a hit. I think you just can't rely on him to play a full season. You'd think he would have bulked up a bit by now. Solid intangibles and arm, but he's an injury waiting to happen playing in the low 200's (if that).

Couple other names mentioned...

There are tons of QBs like Darrel Hackney that are readily available. Stout body, strong arm, some mobility, irratic short game... If we wanted this we could have picked up Rohan Davey for free a week ago. Nothing to see here...

Chris Leak is generously listed at 6'0. He'll be lucky to see that at the combine. May be a more athletic version of Drew Brees, but he has never lived up to the hype, and still doesn't look like the type of QB that can make up for such average height and intangibles. A gamble on a player that peaks at above average, but is not a franchise type and could just be a league average player throughout his time in the NFL. Move along.

My top five still remains the same at QB. Leinart the unquestioned number one in my book, followed by Omar Jacobs, who isn't thought of terribly highly in some circles and may be a bit overrated. I'd like to see him throw the ball more than twenty yards a bit more before I label him a franchise guy. Gotta love the accuracy and elusiveness tough. Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson is my number three and has the best physical abilities in the draft. Has a cannon arm and would be a worthwhile selection at the back of the first/top of the second. I don't think we have a shot at the top two guys, but Charlie is nice compensation if we go that route. Cutler at four, and then a drop off. McNeal still holds my number five because of decent size, arm and a rumored 4.4 forty, but you could insert Vince Young here as well, but keep in mind, the drop off is steep after four in my opinion.