PDA

View Full Version : Best Team in AFC?

McCaffreyFan87
12-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Who do you think is the best team in AFC so far this year? Before this week, I said it was a toss up between Tennessee and Indianapolis, but since they lost, I think they look a little bit weaker. I think its between them and the Patriots, and the Chiefs are up there too. Also, I am interested to see who you guys think the MVP is? I can't even begin to narrow it down in this category.

kcchiefsrule
12-04-2003, 06:35 PM
Obviously my vote is the Chiefs. Pats aren't far behind though lol.

Pierce
12-04-2003, 06:38 PM
I think the Patriots are the team playing the best football week in and week out. Every team has struggles once and a while, but I think New England has shown they are the real deal. It's too bad that we couldn't pull out the victory against them.

As far as MVP in the AFC...that's a tough one. I'd go with McNair by a slim margin over the rest of the pack.

cprender8
12-04-2003, 06:43 PM
My 3 MVP's would be between

Ladanian Tomlinson
Steve Mcnair
Chad Pennington

Ladanian is most useful for the chargers for sure...

Javalon
12-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Geez, I don't think there is a clear-cut best team right now.

Titans, Colts, Chiefs, Patriots are obviously the top contenders.

I personally can't include the Broncos until they beat at least one of those teams. They almost beat the Pats even starting Kanell. And the KC game... They still have to play KC and Indy. If they win those games they'll have to be considered a serious contender, too.

Just looking at the most recent games, the Pats would be my current choice. But everything will probably change this weekend, anyway.

BroncoCy
12-04-2003, 07:43 PM
I have no problem admitting that the Chiefs are by far the best team in the AFC. It just makes it that much sweeter when we punk them this weekend!:D

Elway
12-04-2003, 08:16 PM
After last Mondays weak performance against the Jets by the Titans, I have to gove the edge to the Pats. They have won 8 in a row and seem to be doing just enough to win each game.

dandaman23
12-04-2003, 09:57 PM
My top 5 AFC teams:

1. Patriots
2. Chiefs
3. Titans
4. Colts
5. Dolphins

Earlier this week I picked the Titans as my number 1 and picked them to go to the SB. But after losing to the Jets I have to drop them.

My top 5 MVP's are:

1. Steve McNair
2. Jon Kitna
3. Clinton Portis
4. Ladanian Tomlinson
5. Priest Holmes

Broncofanjp
12-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Patriots.

Ohio Broncos
12-04-2003, 10:16 PM
I'd have to say the Pats by a slim margin over the Titans and Chiefs. New England beat the Eagles, Titans, and Colts, all of whom are considered major contenders when people talk about the best team in the AFC (or in the Eagles' case, the NFC). Their schedule has been hellacious and they've had to contend with a boatload of injuries. They sometimes win ugly, but they still win. You have to give them props for that. Of course, I would have to think of a different answer if we gave Portis the damn ball at the end of that Pats game.

As for MVP, I would have to go with McNair. He's the highest rated quarterback in the NFL playing on a 9-3 team that's tied for first in their division. That sounds like an MVP to me.

Chris
12-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Titans have not played well the last few games

Stop listening to ESPN

They do have the talent to turn it around. Eddie George is running well now.

Koronin
12-05-2003, 06:39 AM
Well, LT has some good numbers, especially yards per, but the chargers stink and that kills his chances.

Pennington hasn't played nearly enough games.

Originally posted by horseface
LT and Pennington for MVP is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I wish I could say more...but that nonsense has left me speechless...those picks are...absolutely idiotic...to say the least.

elwaymvp
12-05-2003, 07:30 AM
I think I am still going to stick with the Titans. Granted, they lost to the Jets this week, but that was just one game. Though it is a hard choice. The Pats would also be up there, but I also have to put the Chiefs up there (though that might change after Sunday...).

Steve McNair is just THE MAN, so I also have to put him in at MVP. I remember watching him play with Alcorn State and thinking, "That guy will be a star in the NFL someday." He is now. I also thought the same thing about Michael Vick during his days at Virginia Tech...

pikman
12-05-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by horseface

but now that they lost to the freaking Jets (the AFC's equivolant of the Bears)...we'll hop on New Englands nuts.

You know I have to disagree with the comparison of the bears to the jets. Granted the jets stunk the joint up early in the year, but you can clearly see them slowly turning things around since pennington returned. Doesn't make him the mvp, but the jets aren't as poor a team as they first apppeared, whereas the bears have not shown any signs of playing better. Even in their victory over the broncos they looked like C R ap, it's just that denver...sigh...looked worse.

LLChiefsFan
12-05-2003, 07:37 AM
I have to go with KC, Tennessee, Indy, NE, and Cincy as being the better teams in the AFC (in no certain order). As far as MVP goes remember what it means. Its the Most Valuable Player not the one who gets most exposure in the media. Look at the teams and see which ones are at the top of the heap. Then look and see if they lost one person on that team where would they be. For example to me Plummer is Denverís MVP because when he was gone they went 1-3. Portis was there and they didnít win so he must not be the MVP for Denver. Thatís why the Pennington thing isnít that far off base without Pennington this was a bad team with him they have turned it around. So I would say he is the Jets MVP but not the league. You really wont know until the end of the regular season. If KC is on top you have to look at Holmes or Green, if NE then Brady, Tennessee- McNair, Indy- Manning, and Cincy either Rudi Johnson or Kitna.

Top 5 AFC QB- McNair, Pennington, Manning, Green, and Kitna (Pennington is out unless they some how make the playoffs)
Top 5 AFC RB- Lewis, Portis, Holmes, Tomlinson, and James (Unless Denver wins their last 4 Portis is out and so is Tomlinson)
Sorry my Chief brothers and sisters but unless Hall breaks the record he wont even get looked at.

If you havenít noticed there havenít been very many MVPs from non-playoff teams.

ChiefsMang
12-05-2003, 07:50 AM
I never thought I would say this, but this year Priest is underrated. The man's got 17 TD's and is 1st in the AFC in total yardage. Come on.

LLChiefsFan
12-05-2003, 08:00 AM
Holmes is not the media darling this year and not running as much as in the past.

In 2002 after 14 games he had 1615 rushing yards and 21 TDs with 672 receiving yards and 3 TDs. 2287 Total yards and 24 TDs

In 2003 after 12 games he has 1177 rushing yards and 17 TDs with 559 receiving yards and 0 TDs. 1736 Total yards and 17 TDs.

He needs 438 yards to beat last years rushing yards and 4 more TDs. 113 receiving yards and 3 TDs to catch last year. 551 Total yards and 7 TDs. That is why he isnít mentioned as much. If he canít catch last years numbers he wont even be thought about.

NOLABroncofan
12-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Personally,

I'm liking the Pats as the best team thus far. They look good week in and week out. -and- yes... I think the Chiefs are in the top 3. I got to watch them spank the hell outta the Raiders and was generally impressed with the way they were moving the ball. TG was throwing a lot of those short lil 5 yd dunk passes and Holmes was running all over the place. Coincidentally... the KC offense looked similar to Denver back in the SB days. Only problem KC has currently is a weak run defense. If not for that, they'd be my top pick.

Nuff said...

LLChiefsFan
12-05-2003, 12:53 PM
NE is good donít get me wrong but I look at them the same way I look at any team.
1. They beat a very bad Philly team at the beginning of the year. Would you say Philly and Cincy are the same teams that they were in week 2 or 3?
2. NYJ, Washington, NYG, Cleveland, and Houston are not powerhouses. You have to agree with that.
3. That leaves Tennessee @ NE, Denver @ Denver, and Indy @ Indy. Most good teams win close games at home. Denver should have won that game but blew it, and it wasnít just one persons fought it was a team effort. Indy game was good and Indy just got beat.

So yes they have won just like us but are they really any better? They have only blown one team out and that was Philly. On the flip side Buffalo blew them out in week 1. They didnít score a TD against Cleveland in NE. I guess the only way we will know is who is left standing on January 18th.

broncos4ever
12-05-2003, 01:43 PM
Patriots are the hottest team in football right now. Patriots all the way at this time.