PDA

View Full Version : QB in 2006?

DtruBroncos
10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
who thinks Denver should draft a QB in 06 with a first round pick? Is there any college QB's worth drafting other then USC's star? I really dont follow college ball.

Elway1983
10-11-2005, 06:45 PM
who thinks Denver should draft a QB in 06 with a first round pick? Is there any college QB's worth drafting other then USC's star? I really dont follow college ball.

If you can't recall the name of the most famous college QB ever, you shouldn't be asking. The draft is stacked with a bunch of qb's, the problem is, we don't need one. Why would we draft a QB to start or backup Plummer when we already have Bradlee Van Pelt. We don't need a QB, excpet we might need a 3rd string, but we would probably sign someone with experience. :duh:

xX-Bronco-Xx
10-11-2005, 07:17 PM
I bet u we will draft a rb with the first round.......

Buff_bronc_fan
10-11-2005, 07:19 PM
If you can't recall the name of the most famous college QB ever, you shouldn't be asking. The draft is stacked with a bunch of qb's, the problem is, we don't need one. Why would we draft a QB to start or backup Plummer when we already have Bradlee Van Pelt. We don't need a QB, excpet we might need a 3rd string, but we would probably sign someone with experience. :duh:

Since when is Matt Leinart the most famous college QB ever? And I wouldn't necessarily say we don't need a QB. There are other needs we need to address, but if the right situation presented itself.....

TXBRONC
10-11-2005, 07:22 PM

Reggie McNeal of Texas A&M might a good choice. Vince Young might be worth it too, but in my opinion Vince is going to have work on his throwing mechanics.

Ravage!!!
10-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm certainly NOT going to say that we don't need a QB. But I would rather us use the first round picks on a DT and a WR. Perhaps use that pick to trade for a veteran WR... or a TE. Its Soooooo early to be talking draft. We have NOOO idea whats going to happen between now and then. INjuries, signings, releases...trades. By the time the draft comes around, we might have a completely new outlook on what we need.

topscribe
10-11-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm certainly NOT going to say that we don't need a QB. But I would rather us use the first round picks on a DT and a WR. Perhaps use that pick to trade for a veteran WR... or a TE. Its Soooooo early to be talking draft. We have NOOO idea whats going to happen between now and then. INjuries, signings, releases...trades. By the time the draft comes around, we might have a completely new outlook on what we need.
You have a point, Rav. I have seen teams win Super Bowls with less than elite QBs.

But none of them had mediocre lines. At least from what I saw.

-----

mrbrightside111
10-11-2005, 07:50 PM
if u look at shanny's draft choice it hasn't been that great and he has never drafted a qb in first round as a head coach so i don't see this happening and bradlee looks solid so i am thinking of a safety or a wr in this years draft.

bendele25
10-11-2005, 07:52 PM
qb's are not very plentiful in this draft unless some jr's opt in.

WABronco
10-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I'd rather see us spend our first day picks on positions like DE, DT, LB, S, RB, WR...

Plummer's our QB for a while guys. He's Shanny's guy, which is a good thing...

Sam_Z
10-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Uhh hello Mr. know it all, Plummers passing yards for last sundays' game we're 92 yards passing!
Oh yeah I see us sailing to the super with our star studded QB and his 92 yards :confused:!
Im a Broncos fan before Im a plummer fan and the Plummer serade is over, we need someone else who can pass for over 200 yards and still be consistent! Again Im a bronco fan before a Plummer fan, its that simple

GIVEME6
10-11-2005, 09:26 PM
I think we need a top WR before anything. Jake is getting the job done, but it seems as if no one is getting open. The one player that could change the face of the passing offense we already have: Darius Watts. He needs to get those hands right though, as he can get open seemingly at will.

silkamilkamonic
10-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Uhh hello Mr. know it all, Plummers passing yards for last sundays' game we're yards passing!
Oh yeah I see us sailing to the super with our star studded QB and his 92 yards :confused:!
Im a Broncos fan before Im a plummer fan and the Plummer serade is over, we need someone else who can pass for over 200 yards and still be consistent! Again Im a bronco fan before a Plummer fan, its that simple

I'll take Plummer's 92 yards and a win over someone like Bulger's 400 yards and a loss anyday of the week.

As far as "sailing with the super studded QB",

Brad Johnson
Trent Dilfer
Jake Delhomme

have all either been in the SuperBowl or won the SuperBowl in the 2000's alone. And great defenses or not, they all had a QB that could efficiently manage a game, which is what Plummer is doing for the most part right now, with the occasional up's and down's, as well as the names mentioned above.

See Yuz.

Q-niverse
10-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Van Pelt has a ways to go before he can be considered a legitimate NFL starting QB material. Be that as it may, we need O-line help next year as Nalen isn't going to be around much longer. If we take a QB it will be in the later rounds (5-7th) and will most likely be to continue cultivating young talent should Jake Plummer take a serious injury.

Fans need to quit wondering when Plummer will be replaced or when Denver will draft the next "John Elway". The Broncos have more pressing concerns, and it will be too big of a cap hit to carry a high QB draft pick and Plummer on the same roster. We have Plummer for at least 2-4 mroe years barring injury. It's time to stop wondering when he will be gone. If he was going to be gotten rid of, it would have happened in this past offseason.

Q-niverse
10-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Uhh hello Mr. know it all, Plummers passing yards for last sundays' game we're 92 yards passing!

Stats lie. Wins don't and Plummer gets wins.

Besides, that was god aweful weather and the best thing the Broncos could do is not throw in that slop. Washington did and Brunell had alot of passing yards but who got the Win? 92 yards passing did.

Plummer consistantly leads the Broncos to victory. As a Broncos fan that's all the consistancy you should be asking for out of a QB.

JRWIZ
10-12-2005, 12:32 AM

NO I am not gonna be available for this up-coming draft.

cuchip703
10-12-2005, 06:19 AM

One guy you might want is Charlie Whitehurst out of Clemson. He has an NFL QB arm and stature and could be a late 1st round or 2nd round pick. He is very efficient and has NFL pedigree (his dad qb'd for the packers I believe)

NJBRONCOSFAN
10-12-2005, 07:10 AM
QB shouldn't be our first priority...of course, if the right person falls to the right spot, then qb or not, perhaps they should be drafted (a la the packers with aaron rodgers)

The|Snake#16
10-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Okay, i'm not sure who, but someone said draft a LB. Are you kidding?!!!! :D DJ, Wilson, and Gold, what more do we need?

I'd say we need a safety, O-lineman, or a big prescense TE we can incorporate into our passing game.

broncsyanks
10-12-2005, 07:49 AM
this guy young is a good one. he is a vick wannabe. but IMO if we cant score on matt lionheart --i know spelled it wrong i feel we need a wr in the 1st round. we scored on rod when we got him. he cant go on forever IMO. although i want him to be. But the lelie thing has faultered so far this season and IF Rod retires then who is our other wr? what-- watts? that guy has butter hands. and adams is a possion reciever at best. we need this to compliment our esceptional running game IMO. just a thought here

GO BRONCOS

clokwork orange
10-12-2005, 07:53 AM
Okay, i'm not sure who, but someone said draft a LB. Are you kidding?!!!! :D DJ, Wilson, and Gold, what more do we need?

I'd say we need a safety, O-lineman, or a big prescense TE we can incorporate into our passing game.I think we need to use our first round pick on a holder (kicks). I think plummer is just an accident waiting to happen at that position. Who are some of the top holders coming out this year? :goofy:

Broncos04Champs
10-12-2005, 09:23 AM

So, he has a bad day, we still win, but it's still time to get rid of him?
When he has a good day and we win are you going to change your mind?

WABronco
10-12-2005, 09:43 AM

I'd say we need a safety, O-lineman, or a big prescense TE we can incorporate into our passing game.

It's called depth...

Who do we have now for depth, like Chukwurah (sp), Louis Green, and Keith Burns. We could use some talent at MLB, but we don't have to use our first picks on LB. I'm talkin later in the first day or early second day.

The|Snake#16
10-12-2005, 10:26 AM
It's called depth...

Who do we have now for depth, like Chukwurah (sp), Louis Green, and Keith Burns. We could use some talent at MLB, but we don't have to use our first picks on LB. I'm talkin later in the first day or early second day.

I agree, I guess I misunderstood you, I thought you meant first rounder. :D

Anyhow, I think it'd be nice to draft a new WR with Rod getting up there(He's still an amazing Reciever, but when they get into their thirties who knows how far retirement is away, though I never want to see him announce that) and Lelie hasn't done a whole lot. I think Ashley is still a good reciever, but we need someone else who commands attention to free the passing game up. Right now the only two our opponents REALLY have to worry about are Lelie and Smith. Maybe if we get a threatening reciever in the slot or a big Tight End(Tony G and Antonio Gates attract a lot of attention) that can keep them guessing would help.

Bleh, just speculation, but it's still a thought.

MileHighSpirit
10-13-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm totally fine with draft a QB, but not until the 4th round, or (at the earliest) late 3rd round. Two guys I think are perfect for Denver's offensive system are Bruce Gradkowski (Toledo) and Brodie Croyle (Alabama).

Gradkowski has sub 4.6 speed, is sturdy, and shows pin-point accuracy. In many athletic ways he is like Jake Plummer (without the gunslinger attitude). He is putting up pretty nice numbers this year, so we will have to wait for offseason workouts to really see where he goes.

Croyle needs more bulk to withstand the beating he will take in the NFL, but has great arm strength, footspeed, athleticism, height, and leadership skills to be a great QB. He also plays in the SEC, which is a definite plus.

BroncoBailey024
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
well id say omar jacobs

but we need to adress other issues..

such as depth at O line and we need a WR IMO

thats just my 2 cents

Momentum
10-13-2005, 03:19 PM
If we get Leinart, we will be winning SB's for the next 2 decades.

BroncoBailey024
10-13-2005, 03:24 PM
If we get Leinart, we will be winning SB's for the next 2 decades.
u dont no wat he will do in the pros
:coffee:

PsychoChicken
10-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I sure as hell hope we do not draft a QB in round 1. Sure, there will be some good ones in round 1: Leinart, Jacobs, Quinn (if he declares), but if we must have one, we can certainly wait a little bit to draft the likes of Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler, who is my favorite college quarterback. He looked terrible against LSU, though the pass protection was abysmal. (-20 yards on 10 rushing attempts, and one of those attempts was a 19 yard gain, so without that it would've been -39 on 9 attempts) This season, I expect Cutler to throw about 3,000 yards, 20 TDs, and 13 INTs with a 60% completion percentage. The stats don't really impress me, but watching him repeatedly makes it evident that he is the QB in the SEC. He's got poise, heart, leadership, and nearly miraculous accuracy in spite of the talent, or lack thereof, around him.

So forget those first round QBs: go Cutler!

OhNoKoolAid
10-13-2005, 06:18 PM
I sure as hell hope we do not draft a QB in round 1. Sure, there will be some good ones in round 1: Leinart, Jacobs, Quinn (if he declares), but if we must have one, we can certainly wait a little bit to draft the likes of Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler, who is my favorite college quarterback. He looked terrible against LSU, though the pass protection was abysmal. (-20 yards on 10 rushing attempts, and one of those attempts was a 19 yard gain, so without that it would've been -39 on 9 attempts) This season, I expect Cutler to throw about 3,000 yards, 20 TDs, and 13 INTs with a 60% completion percentage. The stats don't really impress me, but watching him repeatedly makes it evident that he is the QB in the SEC. He's got poise, heart, leadership, and nearly miraculous accuracy in spite of the talent, or lack thereof, around him.

I will continue to back you on this one. Cutler also throws a very catchable ball with good zip and seems to hit his receivers in stride on most all occasions. It would be very interesting to see what he could do if he was in Kyle Wright's place with Miami's talent surrounding him. Cutler to me is a typical MAC QB in a major conference, one with solid passing prowess and intangibles despite having lesser talent around him. He has turned it up a notch this season, and will be gone by the end of the first day.

Brodie Croyle is one I'm starting to warm up on, because he has the arm strength, accuracy and smarts to be successful in a complicated scheme designed to spread the ball to several targets. His footspeed is no longer as good as it once was, and he has Jason White's knees, which may raise red flags around draft time. He's also rail thin and injury prone, but he made all the right calls and decisions in the Florida game and looked very confident in doing so. Could ride his team's success into the second round, similar to the way Jason Campbell ascended up the board. I think he is a better QB than Campbell as well, but less an athlete.

Lastly, Charlie Whitehurst is also on my radar, and when I look at what I taped from tonight's game, I will have a good report to do on him next week. Has the physical traits of Ben Rothlisberger, including great arm strength. Not the same type of decision maker, although he is improving this season.

A QB is a first day must, as far as I'm concerned. It may not be a first round priority, but it is no longer a strength of this team, and any way this team can take steps to rectify this in the future, like drafting a clipboard QB to wait his turn, would be a good decision to me. If you want a real caretaker for a running offense, we need one with competence in the intermediate game. I think any number of guys could work here. Quinn's entrance would really bost the talent level, but I doubt he leaves. QBs gain so much when they stay another season. Quinn won't overtake Leinart, but next year he could be a top five choice.

Momentum
10-14-2005, 06:16 AM
u dont no wat he will do in the pros
:coffee:

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

Broncosrdabest
10-14-2005, 01:54 PM
I think that if the broncos were to draft a quarterback, it should be virginia tech's Marcus Vick. Of course im a little biased cuz im a big Tech fan, but he really is one of the best quarterbacks in college ball right now. Jake is ok, but sometimes hes not at his best, thats why we should get a quarterback in the draft, cuz then we might have a quarterback that can be a real good backup. somebody said that Van pelt was enough of a backup, i dont think so, i think we need a better backup.

OrangePeel
10-14-2005, 10:36 PM
The broncos will not and should not draft a QB in the 1st round, for multiple reasons.

1) Need at other Positions

WR - Lelie may very well not pan out for us, which does not bode well at all, seeing as Smith's window is closing. We can expect maybe 2 more years from rod, and then who do we turn to? I dont see lelie, watts, or anyone the roster for that matter outside of maybe devoe, and he is a definate long shot.

DLine - This year's line has been effective thus far, but Warren may opt out after this season. The dline needs one more impact player at either the DE or DT position, and their are man players this year that can fill that gap in the draft.

Safety - Lynch has covered the run well, and has delivered big hits, but long since are the days of atwater, and the need of a ball hawking safety is ever present. Darnell Bing is solid out of USC, so are Landry, Huff, and Greg Blue

OT - With lepsis' imminent departure next year, the tackle position needs to be looked at seriously. With a high pick, ferguson is a no brainer, but I also like Winston Justice out of USC, and Eric Winston out of Miami U.

2) Plummer

Plummer has been great for us IMO, and is still improving, as shown by his decrease in turnovers and ability to manage the team on the field. Unless Plummer tanks this year badly, he will be here for a long while, and I for one will not be complaining. Their is no QB outside of Leinart (who i feel is overated to some degree) that I would replace plummer with, and I dont see Washington giving us a #1 pick (which is were ESPN's hype-o-meter will shove him into, letting whatever team is desperate this year for a franchise QB)

3) History

History says shannahan does not pick QB's early, never in the first round, and rarely in the 2nd. I feel the situation we have at hand right now does not call for him to adress the QB position this year.

Here is my big board for 2006, at this point in the year (take into account this takes into account need, and overall value of the player)

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia
2. Mario Williams. DE North Carolina St
3. Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College
4. Eric Winston, OT Miami
5. Reggie Bush, RB USC
6. Jimmy Williams, CB Virginia Tech
7. Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon
8. Ahmad Brooks, MLB Virginia
9. Jimmy Williams, CB Virgina Tech
10. Chad Jackson, WR Florida
11. Mercedes Lewis, TE UCLA
12. Marcus Mcneill, OT Auburn
13. Michael Huff, S Texas
14. Laron Landry, S LSU
15. Rodrique Wright, DT Texas
16. Jesse Mahelona, DT Tennessee
17. Santonio Holmes, WR Ohio St
18. Daryn Colledge, OT Boise State
19. Leonard Pope, TE Georgia
20. Greg Eslinger, C Minnesota
21. Tamba Hali, DE Penn St
22. Jeremy Trueblood, OT Boston College
23. Derek Hagan, WR Arizona St
24. Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
25. Claude Wroten, DT LSU

chickennob2
10-16-2005, 09:54 AM

talk about lack of talent. In the 3rd quarter, Vandy had dropped 5 passes that hit them in the hands that wouldve been either huge first downs or touchdowns against georgia. if he gets some real players around him, he'll succeed

NJfan26
10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
My opinion on this matter is that yes we should draft a qb. lets face it jake is not getting any younger and this year has great qb's coming out. I think that we should draft a qb either vince young or omar jackobs or brad smith because they fit our scheme better then matt lienert or any other pocket passer.

If we do draft a qb this year that doesn't mean that he has to start as of next year unless he win the job. i think we should draft one this year because the class coming out is amazing and with us having a starter already we can put him on the back burner for a year or 2 and let him develop and learn the system.

And i do agree that we need other position more but lets face there are no first round caliber WR out there that we can get at the postion that we'll be in. Maybe 2nd or 3rd we could get a WR. Lets remember that we have 2 first round picks next year so that means that we can fill 2 weak points on our line up. Like Washington did this year with our number 1 pick, filled a hole at CB and drafted jason cambell for future development. i think that would be the best way to go.